Good

Good hotel in a wonderful location

Reviewed Tue 1st of June 2010

"Cala Galdana is in a beautiful bay that looks as good as the photographs. Swimming there is excellent, as it is at the coves of Cala Mitjana (walking time: 30 min.), Cala Macarella (45 min.) and Cala Macarelleta (65 min.), to all of which there are pleasant cliff walks for the reasonably fit (bring shoes with good tread). Another nice walk, inland, along the Algendar Gorge (50 min.) is non-strenuous. Buses run to Citidella (E 2,60) and Mahon (E 3,80). We stayed for a week at the Audax in a double room with a huge bed, firm but comfortable, where we slept very well. Noise from the cafe below us seemed to cease at around 11 p.m. and never bothered us - and I am a loght slepper. Extra pillows were provided in the spacious wardrobe and another blanket was summoned without fuss. Our standard room on the 2nd floor was furnished with an occasional table, dressing table/desk small armchair and an upright chair and the balcony, with that superb view across the bay, had the usual plastic chairs and table. The minibar ran quietly and efficiently. Although it was not as big a room as found in most 4-star UK hotels, we did not feel cramped and it was a great deal bigger than a comparable room that we inspected at the Hotel Sol Gavilanes. The bathroom included a good size bath, with a plug that fitted, enabling one to have good hot soak.

We were on half board and took our meals in the 5th floor restaurant. The buffet breakfasts were excellent, partly thanks to an unending supply of excellent hot coffee brought by waitresses. The decaffeinated coffee, however, was instant. We did not care for the continental sausages and garlicky mushrooms, but with such a huge variety of food available, including perfect fried eggs and cooked-to-order omellettes, such criticisms are a bit pernickety.

As for dinner, we watched out for queues, about which other reviewers have commented. We did see a small queue sometimes, around 7.15 p.m. when the second restaurant (on the 4th floor) was not yet open (it opened at 7.30 p.m.). On one occasion, we noticed a queue later than this, which was caused by there not being enough staff that evening to clear the tables and re-set them. The buffet dinners were also notable for the huge variety of dishes on offer. Starters comprised a choice of soup, many salads, pasta etc., the hot main course a choice of one main red meat dish, some form of chicken and a choice of two fish dishes. Not all these were successful (pork steak too chewy, unfilleted sole too bony, swordfish overcooked), but there was excellent perch, grilled steak, beef stew and Spanish sausage. The choice of vegetables was wonderful, but some green vegetables were overcooked. There was also a chef's table which was often themed, with the Mexican and Italian evenings particularly enjoyable. The sweets featured a wide variety of cake, as well as ample fresh fruit and unlimited ice cream and yoghurt of various flavours, but, oddly, no cream. Overall, I thought the food good, but it would have been even better if the choice had been limited and the quality improved accordingly, to the same catering budget. Also, I think coffee should have been included in the half-board tariff. That having been said, there was a truly excellent hot drinks service available throughout the day at prices no higher than in the cafes along the sea front, e.g. a normal coffee with milk E 1,70. The hotel was very clean throughout and most of the staff had a good command of English. One cautionary note: there are no smoke detectors in bedrooms. "

• Travel date: Fri 28th of May 2010

Very Nice.

Reviewed Sat 7th of March 2009

"This was a late booking and what a good choice, Very clean - Food excellent - staff very friendly and a very clean and beautiful resort - And to top it all of i meet the love of my life - Gorgeous girlfrind Heike at this hotel. "

• Travel date: Sat 7th of March 2009

We stayed here for our honeymoon and lov...

Reviewed Thu 18th of September 2008

"We stayed here for our honeymoon and loved the place. They new it was our honeymoon and left us fruit and champagne, we were also given a four course meal one night and a cake. The hotel would have been fabulous even it it wasn't our honeymoon. The food was fantastic, the staff were really helpfull and friendly and the view from our room was beautiful. The spa was wonderful and they also have a sports and nature office where you can book activities like kayaking. I would definitely recommend to anyone."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of September 2008

Just back from our third holiday at the...

Reviewed Mon 28th of July 2008

"Just back from our third holiday at the Audax, as previous a fantastic location, weather was superb, very relaxed atmosphere and the staff are the best. You cant find fault with the food, brilliant choice and always something nice rather than the normal rubbish you get served up at most Half Board restaurants. We had a slight problem with our room but was very quickly moved, superb service will be going back again next year. A lovely spot for couples. Brilliant"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of July 2008

We only stayed one night but it was wond...

Reviewed Tue 1st of April 2008

"We only stayed one night but it was wonderful. Very friendly staff who let us check out much later than the official check out time as our flight was in the evening. The view from our room was fantastic and the beaches beautiful. There is a wonderful walk through the forest that takes you to a quiet beach which is very picturesque. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and our rooms were clean and well-equipped- exemplary service all-in-all! I would thoroughly recommend and wish we could have stayed longer."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of April 2008

This was our second visit to the Audax H...

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2007

"This was our second visit to the Audax Hotel - the last was 3 years ago and we were pleased to see that very little had changed.

The resort remains small with just enough shops and restaurants and the bay was as beautiful and we remembered.

The hotel has kept up the same high standard with reasonable sized, well equipped, clean rooms and plenty of choice in the 2 restaurants for breakfast and dinner.

I booked a facial in the spa and received a free thermal circuit, which I would recommend to anyone who enjoys water therapy treatments (or has a bad back) - the facial was great too!

This is one resort and hotel we would certainly return to again (something we never normally do)."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of October 2007

We booked the Audax for a weeks break an...

Reviewed Wed 12th of September 2007

"We booked the Audax for a weeks break and following some negative reviews on other sites were somewhat unsure as to what to expect.

These however proved groundless as from the time we arrived to the time we left we couldn’t fault the facilities or service we received.

All the Reception staff spoke excellent English (as well as German, French, Italian, Dutch and even Icelandic!), and made us welcome from the start explaining how to get tea and coffee making facilities, the dining times, spa facilities etc. When we looked around we found our cases had already been taken to our room by the porter (a nice touch we thought).

We were allocated a room overlooking the pool area on floor six which although in the shade most of the day proved a cool haven when needs be (the air conditioning system was also very effective). We felt that compared to the rooms with a sea view for which there was an additional charge, we’d lucked out with a good view across at the village of Cala Galdana itself.

The room was modest in size with a small bathroom but was clean and well equipped with mini bar and safe (€15 charge). The room was cleaned on a daily basis and towels changed as required.

The pool area was excellent with plenty of beds in both sun and shade available although the towels tended to go out in the popular areas by 9.00am. The pool bar was fine with friendly staff and provided a decent snack meal at lunchtimes if needed.

Main meals were served in two restaurants, both self-service, buffet style. Food was good and plentiful and each night if you wanted a break from the buffet, there was speciality cooking in a small kitchen area off the restaurant with themes such as Menorcan fare, Paella and charcuterie and cheese etc. The waiting staff were quick to clear away dishes and plates and attentive to our needs if required.

Evening entertainment focussed on the ground floor bar area and ranged from good to excellent, the Monday night jazz quartet and the illusionist were absolutely brilliant. Bar prices were also reasonable for a hotel.

We also took advantage of the excellent spa facilities and would strongly recommend the spa circuit at €18-20 which allowed ninety minutes taking advantage of the various spa pools, baths, hydro massages and speciality showers as well as the sauna, steam and hot rooms.

In summary we were absolutely delighted with the Audax. It provided us with a relaxing and stress free holiday."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of September 2007

What a wonderful hotel, I thoroughly enj...

Reviewed Fri 18th of May 2007

"What a wonderful hotel, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

The hotel itself doesn't look as good as you may expect when you first pull up, but once you get inside it's a different story. I've never been to a hotel with such friendly staff.

The reception all have staff who speak English fluently. The reception manager was excellent in sorting out any concerns. The holiday was made most enjoyable by the very friendly bar, reception and restaurant staff.

The rooms aren't huge, but perfectly adequate. Very clean and have everything you could want. You don't automatically get a kettle, but the reception staff do offer you one at check in.

There is no charge for the kettle, but I understand that there is for the safe. With regards to the room, I paid for a sea view, and it was worth every penny. We had the most breathtaking view of the sea, river and bay.

Entertainment is put on every night- there were a few acts that weren't to my taste but certainly good enough.

There are two restaurants, both buffet. Staff are brilliant, food is good. However, if you have any particular dietary requirements you do need to be careful- the food isn't always labelled well, if at all with some dishes.

This led to a few nasty surprises on a few nights! We went in May and it was certainly not packed, you never had to queue.

Pools are lovely and both with breathtaking views. Not huge pools but perfect for adults.

Spa is definitely worth going to, and I imagine would be the reason for booking the hotel. Again staff are very friendly and nearly all are fluent in English. The thermal circuit is good value for money and the spa is brilliant, both in the atmosphere and appearance.

Treatments are all reasonably priced although I do feel that the facials were overpriced.

I would say that the hotel was definitely of four star standard. It's of a perfect size- not too big or small. I would say that it's ok for children as well as adults, although really it is aimed more for relaxation and so personally I wouldn't take children there (unless they were very young).

As I say, the pools are aimed for adults and I don't think there is any entertainment for children.

The resort is ok, very picturesque. It's perfect if you want a relaxing holiday. There's a handful of restaurants, but most of them are very aimed at tourists, although there are some local eateries. There's a couple of supermarkets and lots of gift shops. Not a great deal to do there, but great for what I wanted, which was relaxation.

I understand there's some great walks and there's also a gym in the hotel (I didn't use it). They also have a sports centre where you can hire boats, snorkels etc I believe. The sea is less than a five minute walk away, the restaurants are right outside.

Hotel was also very quiet and you could not hear any of the entertainment from the bar below at night. The only noise you may hear is from the very noisy Cala Galdaba hotel about 5 minutes away- but you would only hear that if you stood out on the balcony.

If I were to return to this resort, I would not consider booking any of the other hotels. Please book the Audax if you go to Cala Galdana.

As a final note, First Choice staff were brilliant, especially at the transfer and check in."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of May 2007

Beautiful area, lovely beach and close t...

Reviewed Fri 16th of February 2007

"Beautiful area, lovely beach and close to Citudella.

Lovely coastal walks, in front of the hotel and up the steps takes you on a 40min costal walk to another quiet beach [300 wooden steps down to it] with lovely beach and swimming.

When we visited in October there were lots of jellyfish and warning signs were displayed on the beach [the weather had been stormy]. The resort was closing up for the end of the season.

Audax was booked as 4* prestige, very nice but not 4*. Side sea views face road, woodland and car park, if you are located here as to be located high as coaches drop off through the night [noisy]

Some of the pool view rooms are in shade for most of the day. Pool is cold but plenty of sun beds and shade available.

Food is served from 2 dining rooms and is adequate and plentiful.

Resort is quiet and entertainment is hotel based, all hotels welcome you to their entertainment.

Would return but not to this hotel, prefer the Cala Galdana."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of February 2007

Good 4 *

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"This is a good 4 * hotel. It's in a great location and is very clean. The rooms and balconys aren't huge. The bathrooms aren't the most modern you'll ever see but like I said they are clean. The hairdryers are ridiculously inefficient- like being breathed on. The food, which is a buffet, was very good and I’m not quite sure why so many people are slating it. It’s a buffet, not a la carte! Loads of choice, fresh. Even had soya milk at breakfast time. There is also a grill chef in one of the restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant staff are efficient but not particularly smiley. Also, at breakfast you may struggle to get a first cup of coffee, let alone a second. I have read in some reviews that this hotel is marketed as 'adults only', which we were looking forward to but I would say that this is a 'family' hotel. However, there isn't an awful lot for children to do. There is a bit of the pool fenced off for kids, but it's small. The bar staff are really nice and there is entertainment, of various quality, every night. There are only 2 reasons why I probably wouldn't go back to this hotel - firstly, the pool area isn't the biggest I've ever seen and if you are late risers you may struggle to get a sunbed, and if you want a sunbed in the shade forget it!!! But it's a nice pool with some nice views. Secondly, it's possibly the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed at. From about 8am the sound of beds etc scraping across the floors is enough to drive you mad. However, we had a lovely time and you could do a lot, lot worse."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of August 2006

NIce and quiet

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"My partner and I sayed in the Audux for a long weekend in June.

Our room was above the entrance facing the pine trees on the opposite hill. The room was still quiet and we were only on the second floor.

I read the reviews and some people complain about the food in the two restaurants. The breakfast was great with pasteries (these are normally grabed eraly bu the Brits), cereal, bacon, eggs, etc. The Spanish sausages are fantastic, cooked with garlic - gorgeous! (just watch out, it is not an ENGLISH sausage, it had taste!) We got the hotel with B&B and paid twice to eat the buffet dinner (EUR16 each). We normally use the restaurant on the fourth floor, a bit quieter and they cook the food in front of you.

The Spa looked good but expensive, we wanted to try but did not in the end.

The pool is large the terrace had a great view over the bay. We did not buy any food or drinks at the bar so i cannot comment about the price.

Overall i recommend this hotel to most people. I don't think this hotel is good for someone with children but the resort is.

The shallow, calm water is great for children and the resort is nice and quiet with no loud nightclubs or bars. The only loudish hotel bar is the cala galadana-the big hotel and villa complex. It was very good though with live bars and singers until about 11pm."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of August 2006

Forget the food

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"We have recently returned from a one week stay at the Audax.
We took the half board option as there was only a £30 reduction for B&B only.
We weren't expecting the evening meal to be up to much but the self service buffet was worst than we had anticipated on the two evenings we tried it.
Even more disappointing were the breakfasts. Steralised milk for the cereal and the coffee, fruit juices mixed from a powder and served warm from a dispensing machine, all the bread and baked goods were obviously bought in part baked, cartons of yoghurt that had gone off, hard boiled eggs with a very funny taste and consistancy and one that had even been already cracked open by someone else and then returned to the servery upside down to hide the evidence, tinned pineapple and fruit cocktail. I am not particularly fussy and would have been happy with a decent cup of coffee with fresh milk and a fresh bread roll but this hotel does catering canteen style and as cheaply as possible
A nice enough hotel otherwise but if you want to enjoy your evening meal try the Delite bar and restaurant up the hill."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of August 2006

Hotels near Artiem Audax Adults Only

Top traveller tips for Artiem Audax Adults Only

• Keith by Keith

"Wonderful for those who like a quiet, beach-based holiday. "

Artiem Audax Adults Only is also called