Good

fiasco

Reviewed Fri 22nd of July 2011

"Hotel unable to accomodate our booking requirements. Family split up into 1 bedroom and 1 studio.not advertised as having too many stairs and situated almost at top of very steep hill. Not suitable for elderly visitors ,Making walking back from beach/town very difficult.Studio apartment-dull situated under main building, under the public toilets at pool bar, directly on garden area with insects and lizards having
free access."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of July 2011

Not so great for kids!

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Having read how great Floramar was for kids,I was very disappointed and spent the whole time there 'on edge'. Apart from a 2+half hour wait for my room(with a 2yr old and an 8yr old who've been up since 2am this was NOT funny,no apologies given by reception),when I did get up to the room.I double locked the door with the key and went to unpack,only to hear my door opening and see my 2yr old escaping! Major safety issue!!Reception said it was in case you get locked in,if there was a fire….all rooms were the same! They were unconcerned that any toddler who could reach the handle(my son is only 92cm)could just get out and run off!! I spent the rest of my holiday with a bedside table up against the door(chairs are too light),my 2yr old could move that too,but at least I could hear it scraping on the tiled floor and have a fighting chance of catching him mid-escape!!.I will point out that I am a single parent,but even with 2 pairs of adult eyes,I’m sure you wouldn’t be able to relax.I noticed a 2nd lock had been put on the balcony door,as this was only 2cm above the original,then it was of no use in stopping children getting out on the balcony by themselves.Way too much furniture in the room,especially when you have an active toddler,dangerous corners everywhere. Shower was lethal-scalding hot one second,freezing the next.My room was not cleaned the day after my arrival,on asking about this I was told it depended on my tour operator-in my case it would be done 5x.It turned out to be only 4,and as I never knew if it would be done I ended up making our beds every morning just in case!!Wet mopping is done in bar and reception area without a hazard sign-another safety issue.The lift doors close so quick,that one of you often gets shut out.There is only one wardrobe,nowhere to put shoes and coats,or to stow your suitcases.The wardrobe did have a cupboard above,which was of no use at all as only one door of it could be opened and the one you could had the shelf missing which I discovered when I tried to stow items up there only to have them fall thru to the wardrobe space below! The pool was a murky green colour although I did see it being cleaned on a couple of occasions.The green algae was evident between the mosaic tiles when you were in the pool.Toddler pool was clean,but only about 40cm from the deeper pool with NO guard rail between to stop your child falling into main pool.The raised grass area where some of the sun loungers were,was only made vaguely safe by a couple of slack ropes-not enough to stop a toddler falling off the edge onto the concrete and into the pool!.Hence we spent most of our time at the beach which was the best part of the resort.Sunloungers and ice creams expensive there,but no more than anywhere else.Not much to do for kids in resort.There is a play area next to a pizzeria on the marina,but its on the main road, so you have to constantly have your eye on your toddler.Another play area next to a restaurant opposite Floramar,but was very small and worn.Few one euro rides dotted about,but often they just ate your money without working!Entertainment within hotel was cover-version bands,which I did not need to go to as I had a poolside room and could hear every word very clearly with the balcony door shut! Did not eat at Floramar as were self-catering.Did eat at poolside tho,but choice of toasted sandwich or pizza only.Supermarket adjacent to Floramar,so very handy,but you pay the (very high)price for the proximity!Good place to eat was Sa Lluna,2 minutes away from Floramar,get there early though as it gets very busy.I was recommended Cala Galdana by a friend who said it was a very pretty resort with good beach for the kids.Yes, this is true,but there is little else to do and I would not recommend the Floramar to anyone with toddlers who want a relaxing holiday due to the safety issues with the apartment door and the pool area!"

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2008

fantastic holiday

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"we have just returned from the floramar and wish we were still there. The hotel staff are all very freindly the food was varied and tasty, our room was a one bedroomed apartment very roomy and clean. If you can, pay for a pool view the views over Cala galdana are wonderful! The rooms were cleaned and towels changed, beds made every day. Myself and my husband travelled with our 2 and half year old daughter and this property and resort was perfect, the beach is huge and shelves gently into the sea, take your own umbrella and towels as 2 beds and a brolly is over 20 euros a day! If you have children there is entertainment every night between 8 and 9pm in the square behind the beach just for the kids followed by family entertainment 9-11pm. The Cala Galdana hotel also does entertainment every night and the Floramar usually 3 times a week.
if youve booked self catering at the Floramar you can still pay for a buffet lunch or dinner for 11 euros per adult half price for kids and free for under 3 yrs, this is a great price for 3 course buffet as restaurants in Cala galdana are not cheap.

Anyway had a fantastic time will be going back agin in a couple of years."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of June 2008

This is the second time we've holidayed...

Reviewed Wed 16th of January 2008

"This is the second time we've holidayed in Cala Galdana with our 2yr old son. It's a fabulous place for toddlers. The bay itself is breathtaking but the accessibility to the beach & local restaurants & amenities made for an enjoyable & relaxing holiday (The Floramar is up a steep hill though, which can be quite a challenge with a buggy, inflatable boat, beach bag, buckets & spades but well worth it for the views from the Floramar veranda).

Our son although only 2 & 1/2 loved the crazy golf as well as the children’s disco in the square in the evenings & the play park at the restaurant with the ships sail on top. When he's having fun we can relax!

The beach is perfect for little ones, nice & shallow but do watch out for those jelly fish! Our first time in Cala Galdana we stayed at the Sol hotel along the beach front, which had fantastic views of the bay from our balcony but not as child friendly & practical as the Floramar apartments. The staff in the local restaurants, shops & hotels are by far the nicest people I’ve ever met on holiday, which undoubtedly makes for a more memorable time, we will certainly be back again in 2008."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of January 2008

Dishonest hotel

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"The resort of Cala Galdanna is beautiful, with the best beach on the island. What a shame our hotel had to ruin our holiday.

Half way through our holiday we came back to our room to find my partners electric razor and its bits in the bathroom. The maid had dropped it on the fllor and broke it. We took the razor to reception, they asked for our details and said their insurance would be sending us a cheque when we retunred back home.

Huh 3 weeks after our return nothing, Floramar never returned my phone calls, never answered my emails have totally ignored me. Two months after our return I was acused of lying, Flormar said they never saw the broken razor and would not pay us a penny.

It cost me £10 in telephone calls trying to contact Floramar, and £90 to replace the razor!!!!!!! There are many other hotels in this resort all look lovely"

• Travel date: Tue 18th of December 2007

Pleasantly Surprised at the Flora Mar

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"After reading some pretty dire reviews of the Flora Mar we flew to Minorca with trepidation. On arrival at the Flora Mar we were pleasantly surprised at how friendly the receptionist was - She explained how things worked in the aparthotel and when I asked where we were staying, she advised that we were on the front of the hotel above reception room 109. We were a little worried, however, needn't have been as although we fronted onto the one way road up through Cala Galdana, by midnight, all was quiet and a good nights sleep was had by all. The room was clean and spaceous with a roomy balcony. Maid service every other day. As pointed out in previous reviews, 30 EUR for air con & tv controller a bit steep but definitely worth it. The onsight entertainment was ok with a good Abba Tribute Band playing one night. Young bar staff were very pleasant. Pool area was quite cramped when hotel at full capacity - if you want best of sun go for the grassy area (can get muddy need flipflops) opposite the pool with view of the bay. Pleased to say as a family with kids we were happy that this was a no smoking hotel. Most others and eateries were smoking friendly! As mentioned by previous reviewers the ice-creams were considerably cheaper at the Flora Mar supermarket than at the Hotel. Entertainment at the Cala Galdana Hotel on sea front was entertaining with tribute bands nightly. Good eateries were Delit (best goats cheese salad & dorada (I think that's how you spell it - it was fish anyway)) and Sa Lluna (best shoulder of lamb). Missed out on recommended Es Barante which was near the end of the resort. Beach lovely but very busy on sunny days. Pedolos etc good fun (especially the ones with the large slides) EUR 17. Sun beds and parasols quite expensive - so be sure you will get your money's worth i.e. check the weather. All in all we found this holiday to be good value for money overall including entertainment and eateries (spent approx 60-70EUR per night on food and drink). Sight seeing train was retro. You can get on at the top of the hotel next to the car park if you don't want to walk into Cala Galdana 24EUR return. Breakfast (6 EUR adult 3EUR child) and dinner (11.50EUR adult and 6EUR approx child) at the hotel were average - could have been much better - but we only ate there one day. Too much choice elsewhere. To sum up - the hotel was filled with other like minded people who were there as families to enjoy and respect other holiday makers. Germans, Spanish and English mix was just right."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of August 2007

great weather,lovely hotel

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Had a great time here, great weather for two weeks. A lot of stairs for people with young children in prams, but this was not a problem for us. Buffet was ok plenty of differant food to choose from but only ate there to budget a little. Room goooDsize but not enough wardrobe space, pool area very good very safe for the kids and very clean. Room cleaned every day and even if the maid didnt come in could always get clean towls ect from reception. The resort was fantastic beach great but is expensive for sunloungers we payed 23 euros for two sunloungers and a brolly. Plenty of restaurants to choose from, overall had a really enjoyable stay and would go back again."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

A blessing!

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We staid for 2 weeks between June and July this year and we loved it. The apartment was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a big living room with 2 sofas and a kitchen table, a fully equipped balcony, bedroom with king-sized bed and bathroom with tub and shower. The maid would clean and bring fresh towels everyday and bed sheets replaced every other day. The kitchen had everything we needed to cook, even though in the end we hardly ever did it, since there are plenty of good and cheap options to eat outside.
We booked only the apartment but could choose to have meals at the restaurant and pay directly there, and so we did most of the times, since it was great value for money: breakfast only 6 euros each (children free) and unlimited access to the buffet, and dinner only 11 each for a lot of good, not fat, varied and fresh food (again, on buffet form with unlimited access).
The staff has always been adorable, especially the kitchen-restaurant-bar guys –nothing too much trouble and very nice to our little ones. Everybody speaks English, Spanish and something else, mainly German, so there are no communication issues at all.
I would definitely recommend it for young parents with small children, in the evening by the pools there is always a nice mini-disco where they have loads of fun, and also here, the clown-girls are incredibly sweet.
There is also a garden with turtles, a big room with toys, a small pool, everything you can think about to have your kids having plenty of fun in a safe environment. And the beach is just 5 minutes away, the sea is crystal blue and warm, it’s like being in heaven, no pollution, no stress, few cars, a total break for those, like us, living in the city and running up and down all day.
Food-wise, also try the Sa LLuna restaurant, next door Floramar, good dishes and super child-friendly. In general, I have never seen anybody being arrogant or pissed off around Cala Galdana in the whole two weeks. A blessing! And so cheap!! We will certainly go back!"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of August 2007

Studio 16 aka 'The bunker'

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My partner and i booked a studio apartment at the Floramar and were given Studio 16. It was like being in a bunker. Our view was of the underside of a staircase & it was under the restaurant/bar area. The room was certainly not 4 star. It was very dark & dank & didn't really make for a pleasant stay. The hairdryer was hanging off the wall in the bathroom, an obvious health & safety issue. The other studios did overlook a garden area but had people passing to get to their studios. We have been to Cala Galdana on several occasions & have stayed in the Galadana Gardens which is 2 star accomodation but is much much better than the studio at the Floramar. We have also stayed at the Confortel Anabel apartments which were also much better but they were a lot further from the beach.

We liked the pool area and when we were there we had the pool pretty much to ourselves. The ice creams were expensive from the bar, so we just went to the shop & got ours at a much cheaper price! Not much else to add about the Floramar except i don't think it is worthy of 4 stars and i would rate Studio 16 as a 1 star.

La Luna is just down from the Floramar and is a great place to eat. The staff are really nice & the food is great

We love Cala Galdana and would certainly go back but would not stay in a studio at the Floramar!"

• Travel date: Sat 20th of January 2007

Just back from the Floramar apartments r...

Good
Reviewed Sun 8th of October 2006

"Just back from the Floramar apartments really nice and clean, great for all ages lots to do. The weather was nice and sunny but not to hot which was good as we had a 2 year old with us.

The apartments have air conditioning which you can use for a 30euro deposit and safety deposit box cost us 18euro for one week and 5euro deposit. The apartments are about a 10 minute walk to the beach which was good the sun beds at the beach cost us 20euro for 2 beds and a brolly.

This is a holiday that you would recommend to all and we would go back again. "

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

Very noisy, unfriendly staff at front desk, nice beach

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"The hotel is located in the holiday resort "Cala Galdana" which is an artifical urbanization. The beach is nice with crystal clear water, lifeguard on duty, restrooms, showers - perfect place for parents with their kids (at least outside the main season). The Floramar is a 10 minutes (uphill) walk away from the beach. We stayed for three week from the end of August to September. First we got an appartment on the third foor, close to the two elevators (the maintenance period expired in 2005). The balcony faced the swimming pool. The appartment was very noisy, you could hear every person passing your entrance door and the elevators. Therefore we moved to the fourth floor which did not really improve the situation. Guests are arriving with their charter flights thoughout the night, breakfast starts already at 8 a.m. which created a lot of noise. Ask for a room located in the right (southern) part of the hotel, away from the elevators and the stairs to the swimming pool! The interior of our room and the kitchen was ok, the cleaning personal was very friendly and effective. You have to deposit 30 Euro to get the remote control for your air condition and the TV set. The staff at the front desk was very unpersonal und unprofessional. Even after three weeks we were not greeted when entering the hotel lobby. We saw many guests complaining about various things at the front desk, they were treated in a very arrogant manner. We did not take lunch or dinner in the hotel, a good restaurant (difficult to find in Cala Galdana) is the "DELIT" just opposite the hotel. In summary the Floramar is not a 4-star hotel (3 star + would do it), the front desk does not treat you as a guest, the hotel is very noisy, the location is ok, the beach and the surroindings are very nice!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of September 2006

Where's the forth star?

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We are a family from Barcelona, 2 kids and a little baby. We had read some positive comments on this hotel in some web, so we decided to spend some days there.

First trouble: They had not ready our room till 14:30, although they said they would have it from 12:00 hours, so we had to leave our luggage in the checkroom and go to Ferreries to kill time. Anyway, the night before our departure, we were asked to leave the room before 12:00 hours!

When we finally got the room, we realized the remote controls of air conditioned and TV weren’t there. When I called to reception they told me that we had to leave 30 eur. as a deposit... It’s not nice for a ‘four stars’!

There are two TINY elevators in the hotel. I warn families carrying a baby car: It’s hard to fit in! And those doors close ON YOU constantly! You have to be fast when using it! No air conditioned inside (too hot).

More warnings if you carry a baby car: The hotel is full of obstacles (stairs & steps), and you have only TWO ramps, placed at the rear part of the hotel (and leading to the kitchen, just for the providers). On the 2nd. Floor, you’ll find the restaurant, cafeteria and the access to the pool. If you come from the elevators, you have to climb around 8 steps. Be ready to exercise your biceps with the baby car! On the way to our room, we had three more steps in the corridor. Great!

The gymnasium is closed under lock and key. You have to ask for the key to reception. I ignore if you have to leave a deposit to use it, but I wouldn’t be surprised! The Jacuzzi was out of order during all our stay there.

The buffet supper is poor, and so the breakfast, it’s not what you would expect from a 'four stars’ buffet. Some breakfast dishes (for instance, the fritters) are only disposable on alternative days. The orange juice is especially bad. Anyway, the kitchen, restaurant and cafeteria’s staff is great and always game to help. By the way, the staff is much reduced, you always find the same people, no turns of work there?? And the timings for the restaurant are very reduced too: from 19 to 21 hours. Anyway, the restaurant’s Spanish staff was very kind in this too :)

You won’t find any organized animations for kids or adults during the day, and only on alternative days a little show in the little scenery near to the pool at evening (21 h.).

By the way, if you are lying in the sunbeds area –a little lawn area on the other side of pool, - and you want to have some drink, you’ll have to go for it personally. No service there. And no small tables to leave your drink there neither. The umbrellas are standard beach umbrellas (the present from a travel agency), with a bad subjection to the ground, and ours just flied over the fence a windy day, with all our clothes hanging from it! Thanks to Guilherme, one of the waiters, and his OWN initiative, we could recover all the stuff (the cliff on the other side of the fence is FULL of umbrellas, impossible to recover).

The rooms are really Spartan, few details and cheap furniture. The kitchen is enough equipped, but a little bit over-used. Our cooker extractor, for instance, was rusty and bruised, and our fridge hadn’t door on the freezer and no racks to leave a bottle there. And we found ANTS in the room, first thing we bought at supermarket was something to kill them!

The clothes line in the balcony was quite ridiculous for a ‘four people’ room. The bathroom was shabby, and a rusty screw protruded from the floor just beside the bath tub –where a rubber door stop used to be in the past, I guess-. Of course we complained and they immediately fixed it up, but I wonder why the cleaning staff didn’t warn about it to reception before. No razors, hair comb, shower cap, etc in the bathroom, just two little soap bars, ant that was all.

One of the days of our stay, they have a warm water failure at 7 in the morning, and another day a power failure at 18:00, great!

The hotel is in the top of a hill, so if you walk back from the beach, be prepared. Santa Galdana isn’t a village. In fact, it’s just a kind of Lloret de Mar, if you know what I meant: Restaurants, cheap (but not in prices) supermarkets, apartments etc. If you’re looking for a typical and nice little fisherman’s village, try in Fornells, not in Cala Galdana, which is just a holydays resort. Anyway, and if you don’t mind the white hotel built just in the rocky wall, that cove is a wonderful place of crystal waters. Very expensive sunbeds! 20 eur. for two of them –and umbrella- If you find that’s not expensive, I’ll tell you that in the Spanish coasts –Costa Brava, etc, they cost around 1’50 – 3 eur for hammock. But that’s typical in the whole island, I’m afraid.

Summing up: It isn’t a bad place to stay, if you think in a 3 stars hotel very unsophisticated, but it hasn’t the necessary to be considered a 4 stars, in my humble opinion. At least, if I compare it with the other ‘four’ where I have been before now. If you look carefully beside the main entrance, you'll find the reason: It was just a three stars hotel in a near past (it was built in 1995, they say). But it's a quiet place.

I hope this critic will be useful for you. I tried to be objective.

Important: Don't park your car in the area near the pines at the rear part unless you want to travel with some companions inside your car for the rest of your holidays (ANTS)"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of August 2006