About Playas del Rey Hotel

• rooftop terrace

Lovely hotel

Reviewed Sat 7th of April 2018

"We just booked our holiday for August 2017, and this will be our third year at Playas del Rey and Santa Ponsa resort. Friendliest staff you could ever hope to meet, spotlessly clean rooms and hotel and beautiful bar area. Breakfast buffet is excellent.

There are many locally run restaurants in Santa Ponsa, ask at the Playas del Rey bar or reception for recommendations and they will not put you wrong.

There are a great selection of international restaurants too.

Pool is small and in the shade, but we prefer the beach anyway.

Plenty of activity stuff in the resort (water sports, Segway, quad biking etc) if you get bored of the beautiful perfect white sandy beach.

Palma and Magaluf are only a short bus or taxi ride away if you like getting out and about. Palma is lovely and a great tourist day out. We visited Magaluf one night for a laugh, watching the youngsters was a laugh and an education!

Santa Ponsa is so central to everything that is good about Majorca. Great night life in this resort, whether it's eating out or karaoke or live music (McTavishes and Durty Nellys for a knees up).

We love Playas del Rey, we wouldn't stay anywhere but here while holidaying in Santa Ponsa. "

• Travel date: Thu 18th of May 2017

Ignore the bad reviews

Reviewed Mon 17th of October 2011

" Please please ignore any bad reviews about the del rey, it is a lovely hotel and without repeating everything that as allready been said thats good about it, we would 100% recommend it, my wife and I spent a great 2 weeks in Sep and the del rey made the holiday, we understand that some people have been going there for the last 30 years and are not very happy about the changes that have been made all we can say to them is go some where else, it means there will be more room for people who like small top class hotels. Just one small problem, the del rey does not have a big pool and its in the shade most of the time but we are beach lovers so it did not bother us, as a guide the bar prices were no different to any other hotel, for instance, 1 large cocktail was 4 euros, 1 large beer and a coffee was 4.50 euros. but just across the road was the bar rumba which was a english owned bar with similar prices to the hotel.
May we say a very big thankyou to the staff especially, Val, Sheena, Patricia, and of course the cleaning ladies. Eddie & Maureen we will be back."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of October 2011

excellent stay

Reviewed Wed 14th of September 2011

"Just returned from two weeks at the hotel. Management may have changed but the staff and hotel are still excellent. Thank you for making my stay so enjoyable see you next year."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of September 2011

Great Hotel Totally Ruined

Reviewed Tue 2nd of August 2011

"Like a lot of the latest reviews we as a family have stayed at least 12 times over 10 years It was a truly unique,friendly and welcoming hotel in fact a home from home. We met the same people time after time and always had a great stay in the hotel Sadly although it is still spotlessly clean (always was)everything else has changed If you just want somewhere clean to stay then yes stay here BUT if you want a nice friendly welcoming stay with friendly people in the hotel a great evenings entertainment and and a place where you can stay in the daytime and enjoy a drink a light meal and a good laugh then stay elsewhere because that has all gone We felt like intruders and spent as little time as possible in the hotel and just went to the beach everyday we have never done that before. We paid in cash as we were leaving and there was the odd 50cent on the bill as my husband was getting it from his pocket he was told "you still owe 50 Cent) payment was taken without so much as a thank you! Did you enjoy your stay? will you be back ? nothing No I am sorry unless you have a yacht up in the marina you are not wanted that was made very plain. To everyone involved in the hotel before it became (Boutique) ha ha in other words horrible Good luck Pepe Gieslle and Hanne and thank you for many wonderful years As one former guest/friend (who would have been staying in September for the 20th time) said "A motorway service station would have more atmosphere" ( he has booked elsewhere for September) Have seen a comment on another review site that said it was better without the Bingo and Karaoke and it was a truly wonderful hotel! I have never seen Karaoke in the hotel and the Bingo was an entertaining bit of fun ( I actually hate Bingo) We went out to eat every day/evening for obvious reasons as no way did we want to be in there a second longer than we had to I have had several emails from former guests/friends who will never reurn to that hotel and have made other arrangements for September They were all bitterly dissapointed with their holiday Good luck t those who think it is wonderful! WE DON'T

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2011

Great little Hotel - ruined in my opinion

Reviewed Fri 22nd of July 2011

"Before finding this amazing little hotel over 10 years ago we always said we'd never holiday in the same place twice, we ate our words, we've been here every year since and sometimes on more than one occasion and have met so many lovely people, some we still keep in touch with and others we've met here again and again, but not any more.

We knew that the hotel had been sold and there had been changes made but nothing could have prepared us for what we found. Gone was the warm friendly greeting from either Hanne or Giselle and also the complimentary free drink for returning guests (although we rarely used it) but it was a nice gesture, gone also was the lovely friendly bar and its owner Pepe. This has all been replaced with a clinically refurbished reception area and a beautifully re-decorated bar which stood empty for most of our stay.

The dining room/restaurant area albeit tastefully refurbished served a very similar breakfast as before, scrambed or boiled eggs, bacon and a variety of sausage along with cereals, fruit and a selecton of bread and rolls, hot and cold drinks (the orange juice was better than it used to be I felt). There was a bit of a hold up some morning when some of the food wasn't replenished but I put this down to maybe teething troubles and quite a few people opting to eat at the same time.

As we have always opted for just Bed and Breakfast choosing to eat out in the many restaurants around the resort I can't comment personally on the food, I did however look at the menus and the prices were a lot higher than previously but having said that the surroundings are a lot grander too and I think they seem to be trying to attract more outside trade, during our stay I didn't actually see any of the guests staying at the hotel eating there, thats not to say this wasn't the case.

The bedrooms have all been re-decorated in the same white, grey and red colour scheme as throughout the rest of the hotel, the furniture is the same as before but has been painted grey, the beds were very comfortable and the rooms spotlessly clean, the towels as always were changed every day and there is now a nice little selection of toiletries in the bathroom which are replaced when used which is another nice touch. The wardrobes all now have mirrored doors which give the rooms a more spacious feel. The balcony furniture however is the most unconfortable I have ever come across, they have used the old straight backed dining room chairs which are not the best when you want to relax on the balcony with a drink and a good book.

The sunbathing area has been drastically reduced in size due to them using some of this for an outside dining area, therefore the only sunbeds now are round the pool itself and during our stay there were only 4 parasols in evidence, this didn't bother me as I love the sun but for some other guests it was a problem especially during the afternoons when the shade was needed, also gone are the tables where you could just sit at and read a paper or have a chat, not everyone likes lying on sunbeds but there didn't appear to be anywhere else to sit as all the tables outside were set up for dining.

In the past we have nearly always had lunch at the hotel on the terrace area where you could while away an hour or so eating and chatting to other guests in the shade but this year there was a distinct lack of people using the terrace possibly due to increased price of drinks and snacks. We did however find a lovely place just across the road and down the steps where you could have a reasonably prices meal or snack and drinks ( the Sangria was very nice and so was the Tapas).
In the evenings we found Bar 8 just along the road and Fat Sams if you have a large appetite as the portions are huge also just along in the other direction there is the Eureka where you will find Pepe who welcomes you with open arms - literally.
We often had our night cap at the Bar Rumba opposite the hotel as the hotel bar closed at 11.30 each night and so by the time we were returning from our evening out the hotel the bar was in complete darkness. The evening entertainment is also no more, much to the distress of the Bingo lovers - I must say on the odd occasion I've joined in Pepe's Bingo Bongo was an absolute hoot as were his weekly disco's in his bar downstairs (I've had many a hangover from attending them).

In summary we had an enjoyable holiday, we met nice people and the weather was very kind to us, although what we'd have done or where we'd have spent time if we'd had a week of rain I don't know.
The hotel refurbishment is lovely but in my opinion they have taken a quaint, friendly family run hotel with guests who have been going there some for in excess of 20 years into a modern soulless place with no atmosphere.

I will be going back to Santa Ponsa as I love the place but not to this hotel - sadly.

• Travel date: Sun 17th of July 2011

What a shame a fantastic Hotel has been ruined !

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"I have visited this Hotel for the last 10 years and it had a very special warm family feeling to it and I revisited because we made great friends with fellow revisiting guests who also have returned year after year (note to new owners,is that why the original owner was so successful.)The refurbishment is beautiful on the eye,all very shiny and new in the main foyer and restraunt.The hotel rooms have had a 30 minute make over with lovely grey paint.The hotel staff are not the same ,most have left,but our holiday was still good mainly down to our friends who we meet every year at this hotel and finding Pepe who is at the Bar Eureka.He is now doing a great trade as most of the Hotel guests end up eating there!There is no entertainment any more and there are no affordable bar meals.The Hotel is catering for the weathy and Germans who don't eat much and want to people watch.However there is noone to watch as the bar is empty and the restaurant very quiet.Also there is no view.The restaurants over the road look out onto the bay, why dine in looking at concrete when you can watch the sun set over the road?Pools side is now reduced as the dining tables take up the lovely shaded area in front of the Hotel and only 4 parasols,I asked for more but was told there are sun beds on the roof,no good if you have a child who likes to swim! During my stay I pondered what was missing On my last day I saw one of the old staff members who used to serve in the breakfast room.She has seen my boy grow since he was 2,she is now a cleaner,she asked about my boy,my Mum and Dad,we exchanges good wishes and it was lovely to see her.The day we left ,she was there with another member of staff ( cleaning),we waved good buy to our friends and they waved too and I saw in that moment what made this hotel special....Their warmth and friendship sparkled as we left.That is what has gone the new owners have painted over what made many of us return to this Hotel. I am so sorry,this may have been a unique hotel that we found which made many of us over the years return, but not many of the regulars will be returning now. But if you want a corporate hotel with over priced food and drink and a very polished polite impersonal service ,go you will love it !"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of July 2011

what a pity

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"On arrival hotel courtyard of full of laid table with people by a small pool(not as in brochure as Thomson failed to inform anyone of refurbishment) Needed fridge and safe- cost a total of 33 euros for hire for week. Room was very nice meant to have sea view(could see in distance pass the trees)Air conditioner broke 3 times leaking over the room floor.
Meals -breakfast was the same every day self service hot at best luke warm no effort by hotel staff to provide snacks/drinks pool side even though they had a captive audience
The hotel staff made no effort to engage its guests in any hotel facilites as a result hardly any guests ate at the hotel-even those on half board starting eating out side the hotel the bar was always empty except the night that they had they had Jay-Jay for their german paying guests
Our holiday was good because of the guests we met."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of July 2011

worst half board hotel we have stayed in ever

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We found it at best basic, Breakfast warm scrambled egg, luke warm greasy bacon, sausages warm. Upon advice from our travel agents we opted for half board,Big mistake, Not recommended,Adults given childrens portions apart from mixed salad leafs,of what ever they served up very poor quality. The hotel had changed owners,In the opinion of some guests who had came here for a number of years now not as good.The catering priority was for their mainly German outside diners rather than hotel guests, we tried to keep our room on upon our arrival at the hotel, and as instructed by reception to enquire again on the day before we were due to leave, this we did as we were not being picked up until 01.00hrs,we were told no all rooms fully booked,and to vacate room by noon. Fellow guests allowed us to shower in there room that evening as the hotel refused us a shower, saying nothing was available, this is our first time ever our hotel has refused us a least the opportunity to shower and change our clothes thank you very much to our fellow guests for there kindness, as 3 couples offered us this opportunity. The Wow Factor in this hotel was provided by the room service maids, and our fellow guests, one left with the opinion
this hotel only wanted our money no atmosphere in bar due to lack of hotel customers, owing to there inflationary prices, 25% off drinks offered during 2nd week, no takers.
Will return in future to Santa Ponsa but definately not here even with 25% off holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of July 2011

Hotgel losing its way

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"First impressions are good, refurbished to a good standard but get beyond the well set tables and empty bar you are left with the impression of a hotel in trouble. All efforts seem to be concentrated on the paying resturant (no paying customers) to the detrement of hotel guests who have paid in advance.
Room was comfortable, small bathroom and no view from balcony except onto another balcony of a private appartment block and a huge concrete retaining wall of the hotel next door, our bad luck. Breakfast buffet adaquate will choices of cold and hot, the hot choice always being sausage, bacon scrambled eggs, no variation but be aware it is not hot and always kept luke warm!
Evening meal is a joke and this hotel should not be booked on a half board basis unless you have a good lunch before hand. Evening meal is waiter service with the only choice being a meat dish (chicken, pork turkey) always served with french fries or a fish dish, fish soup, fish pasta, fish curry etc not a vegetable in sight all week. No choice in starters or dessert, not that it made much difference lettuce leaf, cold soup and small dollops of ice cream for dessert was about the limit, no cullinary skill required and as cheap as possible. Servings are very small but the annoying thing is they tried to dress it up as some sort of fine dinning, this it certainly was not and the empty resturant on an evening proved this with people looking elsewhere to eat, even though they had paid good money. The waiting staff were enthusiastic but I think this was out of embarassment in what they where asked to serve. The other thing to point out about the hotel resturant is that if they do have paying customers in the outside resturant they are all over them like flies and hotel residents have to wait. The bench mark for me is would I pay for this food in resturant I walked into, the answer is no!
The bar was empty all the time, no entertainment or atmosphere this could be due to prices, on the Thursday all rooms got a note saying 25% off all bar drinks, says a lot in my book. Lots of managers and staff wandering around aimlessly looking for things to do, only a certain amount of times you can adjust empty table settings.
Pool area very small, 25 sunbeds crammed together and 4 umbrellas, be there soon if you are a pool person wanting a bit of shade.
This hotel I think is seeing out contracts as cheaply as possible then trying to move up market, this unfortunatly may be there down fall as Santa Ponsa is not in that league and there is too much good compitition around them and lot cheaper."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of July 2011

Good, but not as advertised in Thomson brochure

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We enjoyed our stay, very comfortable beds, small but adequate bathroom. The hotel was refurbished under new ownership over the winter and is now a 'boutique' hotel. Thomson site now inaccurate. 1 No regular music and entertainment. 2. No billiards or pool table that we could find. 3. No satellite TV in bar. Thomson photo enhances size of small pool.
However, we did have a good time. We thought the restaurant was expensive so went to restaurants nearby. The bar Rumba over the road is very friendly.
Good hotel for couples."

Good, but not as advertised in Thomson brochure

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

Good hotel for couples."

Thoroughly enjoyed!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We had read the reviews and were expecting a half decent hotel. When we arrived at Playas del Rey we were very impressed! As soon as we arrived the hotel and restaurant staff could not do enough for us. The hotel room was perfect, the view was of the sea, the shower was always hot and worked really well, and the bed was one of the most comfy that we have every slept on while on holiday! The hotel itself was spotlessly clean and has obviously newly undergone a big refurb.
We are a young couple and we thought the location was brilliant. We had some lovely restaurants along the same strip of the holel. We would recommend Grill Number 8, Meson del Mar and the actual hotel restaurant. The beach was literally 3 minutes walk away, which was ideal. If you wanted some night life the Santa Ponsa strip is about 7 minutes walk away, Its good fun but full of crazy drunken people! Lots of busy Irish bars to visit there. If you wanted something a bit more of a relaxed place, there is a little square near the taxi rank with a very nice chilled out bar called Charlottes. The people there were great.
We had a great holiday and would recomment Playas del Rey Hotel without a doubt! Enjoy!"

Hotels near Playas del Rey Hotel

Top traveller tips for Playas del Rey Hotel

• JeanieDouglas68 by JeanieDouglas68

"It's pretty much perfect already. "

• annette by annette

"Great family spot, beach food, restaurants, shopping. nice safe atmosphere "

• Goforit by Goforit

"We emailed 2 weeks before to ask for a high sea view room, and they emailed straight back saying they woul do there best, and they did. "

• Bunty by Bunty

"Excellent service and very welcoming. Would definitely stay again. "

• icb0525 by icb0525

"a lovely well run family hotel "

• Paul - Wales by Paul - Wales

"absolutley yes, would definatly book again "

• blackberrybird by blackberrybird

"A great place to relax "

Playas del Rey Hotel is also called