Good

Worst hotel ever, terrible food, disinterested staff

Reviewed Mon 30th of June 2014

"I cannot believe how poor this hotel is..... I opted for this as the all inclusive package instead of the tour operator's 3 * suggestion. First room 726 was very old, dated, no air conditioning, old television which had a stick on aerial which gave an awful signal on all channels... Balcony had a sheer drop into a service area (view to wasteland and car park)..... I requested a move and was told there were no rooms, they could fix the television, etc..... I explained my child had a fear of heights and the room was unsuitable, I would also like a view of the pool to be able to see him and be sure he was safe.

After a couple of suggestions by reception of trying every day to see if another room was available, I was offered room 245 which was in the new annex built behind the hotel). I may add that numerous people (Germans) checked in after us, and were accommodated in the main area overlooking the pool..... They did not arrive and check in until after I had actually switched to the supposed only room they had available.

Room 245 was smaller, more modern and better, but again, the air con did not work. To access this room, you had to take the life in the old building to floor 3, then walk along endless corridors to yet another tiny lift, taking it to floor 2. There was a small annex pool, which was nice and quiet...... Nobody monitors the pool area. Unfortunately, to get a drink or anything, you had to do the long trundle back to the main area, or you were almost on another planet.

They fixed the air con, leaving a card in it to keep it running. My son and I have been scalded each time we use the shower. Whilst having a tepid shower, the water suddenly goes to hot water only, but there is no drop in pressure.... Seems to happen about every 2 minutes. There are no tea/coffee facilities in the room. The balcony cannot be locked, the barrel came out of the safe deposit (pretty useless then) They charge you €40 for the safe for a week with €20 refunded at the end, towels for the pool area cost a €5 deposit.

The ONE television in the public area (the only bar) broadcasts in German (currently the World Cup at full blast on a big screen, with the audio piped out at top volume to the poolside.... You cannot escape the football). All guests are German.

The main pool area has too few sun loungers... Possibly as the have put out big 4 poster beds which you have to PAY to use....€9 a day of €5 per half day. The poolside is tiled and very slippy. The lifeguard was only interested in making people pay reception for th big beds.

The snacks etc during the day for all inclusive customers were also rather pathetic.... Small individual portions of everything, left to be plated and picked by guests... No tongs, no hygiene, nothing child friendly.

The one restaurant serves a variety of in undesirable food, rabbit, tripe. liver... The grilled asparagus was good though. Great lack of variety, no children's food. Only fizzy drinks or choice of red, white, rose (one type of each) or one beer, if on the all inclusive. The staff were totally unfriendly. We mistakenly came for dinner buffet at 9.10 ( it was marked 6.30-9.30).... I went to the self service for drinks (they will not serve drinks at the table if you are on all inclusive, and, as per they instructions we here handle for the all inclusive package, "no guest will have more than on dinner or one drink"). There are also no fruit juices on offer, only fizzy drinks and a bottle each of red, white and rose..... All very acidic.

Having picked the few edible things from the savory part of the buffet, my son and I quickly ate them. I went back for more drinks at 9.25, they had all been removed from the room..... We went up for dessert and were told no, the buffet was closed (it was not even 9.30)- I ignored them and we took the creme caramel and returned to the table. I have never seen the staff move so quickly, they whipped all the food away, turned off the lights and shooed everyone out the room immediately.

There was no entertainment (unless you count the football blaring in German), there is nothing for children really..... They do a rifle club for over 18's (strange choice of entertainment, or maybe you have to shoot the food for dinner at night).

The beds are rock hard..... I have never slept so little or so poorly.....

This wouldn't even merit a 3* in my opinion.... The all inclusive is far from that, it is all restrictive. I am awaiting the call back from my travel agent to move hotel, having reported all last night.. "

• Travel date: Sun 29th of June 2014

At the time of writing this I see no oth...

Reviewed Tue 28th of March 2006

"At the time of writing this I see no other comments have been posted so as I have been to this hotel in the summer of 2004 I can comment on this hotel.

The hotel is in my opinion not a 4 star hotel the bedrooms in the main complex are clean but small and in need of updating. We had an ant problem in the room as they were coming through a crack in the patio door. The staff are friendly and polite, The food is only average and repetitive so we eat out some evenings. The entertainment was good with local acts performing most nights. The reps were good and worked hard day and night.

The resort is small but very nice with a good beach and a prom that is lit up with tree lights, also street traders sell African goods along the street. Plenty of bars and restaurants to keep you from getting bored. The bus to Palma runs frequently and is very cheap.

Palms is a must to see with its great city layout of historic buildings and cathedral. I would go back to Santa Ponsa but not to this hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of March 2006

Wouldn't return if you paid me

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The pool area is not safe. It is fully tiled and there are no anti-slip precautions or barriers between the walkway and the pool. There are no signs warning against running and that the pool area is slippy. My 6 year old son slipped on the wet water at the stairs adjacent to the pool and fell the 5 foot drop straight into the deep end, splitting his head open on the way down. He could have drowned as a result of this, however thankfully remained conscious but needed 3 staples in his head.

After several attempts to speak to hotel management regarding how dangerous the pool area was, we eventually spoke to Elena Lopez at the reception desk. Her response was to accuse my son of running next to the pool (he wasn't) and to put her fingers to her ears and walk away to deal with other guests waiting at reception when we were arguing our case. This is the most shockingly rude and disrespectful behaviour I have ever come across from any hotel staff, never mind a so-called 4*, especially given the severity of my son's accident.

I would never return to this hotel even if I was paid. It's part of a German chain and it shows. Around 80% of the guests are German and the food in the restaurant caters for German taste - mediterrainan tripe, rabbit or kidney stew anyone? There's no children's menu and as far as we were concerned, only the salad bar and chips were edible. After the first week we were eating out, which defeated the purpose of paying for a half-board hotel. Apart from a few exceptions, the waiting staff were generally rude and you felt you were causing a nuisance standing waiting on a table.

The only positive aspect was that the rooms are nice and spacious, providing you don't get a room facing the back car park and wall. The air-conditioning wasn't up to much, however the cleaning service is superb and in fact the cleaners were the only friendly staff in the whole hotel.

In summay, based on our experience of the hotel, I'd advise anyone reading this to save their cash and go for a nice apartment complex instead. If there was an option for 0 stars on the summary rating, this hotel would get it."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of August 2005

fantastic hotel

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"We have just had a fantastic holiday,staying at the Bahia Del Sol where we found the rooms clean and decorated to a high standard.We had a room that overlooked the main pool and was a real sun trap,right into the evening.The staff were extremely helpful and took a real shine to our 14month old daughter.Every meal time the table was set up for us with a highchair in place.We never had to ask.There was a good buffet to choose from but I do feel the choice was limited for small children.
There was a cot ready in the room for us on arrival,after a request on booking.I was really impressed as usually we always have to remind hotel staff when we have been away previously.
I found that visitors were of mixed nationality, not german dominated and were all friendly enough.There was also a good variety of activities and entertainment on offer throughout the day and night.
One piece of ADVICE get a sunlounger early or not at all!!They are all reserved with beach towels!!"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of July 2005

Brits Beware

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"We booked three rooms with a specific request for a low floor on one room as unable to use lifts. Whilst no request is guaranteed we were extremely disappointed to find ourselves on the 8th (top floor) with no alternative.

The rooms given overlooked a wall with the best view over the bomb site called a car park.

Surprise,, surprise all the rooms with poor views were occupied by Brits with Germans placed in the sea view and pool rooms. The Hotel appears part of a German chain.

Food good, service and clean rooms good value but again Brits are second class."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of July 2005

Fab Hotel and Resort

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"My wife and I (mid fifties) have just returned from our third stay at the Bahia Del Sol and again had a wonderful time.
Without boreing you with all the detail, this hotel located on the quieter side of the excellent resort of Santa Ponca is first class. The rooms are of a good size and is well appointed (including a fridge), the same goes for the bathroom. Maid service daily, including full change of towels if you want them. Plenty of facilities in the hotel itself including a well equiped gym, indoor and outdoor pools sauna etc. The dining room and bar are excellently furnished and the food we found to be very good with a wide choice both at breakfast and dinner although those wanting pie and chips or roast beef and yorkshire pud etc may well be dissapointed, you can book B&B and eat at one of the excellent and reasonably priced resteraunts nearby, remember we are talking Mallorca! The front desk staff are very helpful particularly Elena who will do all she can to assist in you having a good time in any of 5 languages which she say she speaks badly but her english is pretty ok.
We will return to this hotel, hopefully next year!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 24th of June 2005

Great Hotel!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Spent a week at the Bahia del Sol in October 2004 and would highly recommend this hotel. It is one of the best (if not THE best) hotels in Santa Ponsa. The hotel is located in the quieter area of the resort but is close to the beach and only about a 10 minute walk from the main part of the resort, where the Irish pubs etc are.
The guests at the hotel are mainly German, not very many British guests when I was there, and to an extent the menu reflects that as it is more suited to continental rather than British tastes. Having said that, the food (buffet) is of a high standard, well presented and you can eat as much as you like! There are a wide choice of dishes but the options don't seem to change much during the course of the week - although there are plenty of nice restaurants nearby if you do get bored with the hotel food. The bar and restaurant area is very nicely decorated and is a class above the usual package holiday/resort style hotel. There is regular entertainment in the bar but if you don't fancy that there is a really nice outdoor seating area by the pool, which is lovely when lit up at night.
The bedrooms and bathrooms are spacious, well equipped and very nicely decorated. The main pool area is lovely and there is also a gorgeous indoor pool.
One word of warning - if booking this hotel, make sure that they give you a room with a balcony facing on to the main pool. There is a separate annex to the hotel, which I went up to have a look at. I don't think that I would have enjoyed my stay as much if I had been staying in the annex. It is reached by a labyrinth of lifts and corridors and seems far removed from the main part of the hotel (although its actually very close). There is another pool which the annex rooms overlook so it might not be too bad especially if you have children (this seems to be where the children's activities take place and many rooms in the annex have inter-connecting doors for families) but if you can get it, I would definitely ask the hotel in advance to allocate you a front room, overlooking the main pool. To sum up, a great hotel at a reasonable price."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of December 2004

Excellent Hotel and Excellent Resort.

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"The weather was absolutely gorgeous.

The hotel really is nice with consistently good food and the variety comprehensive.

The restaurant staff are a bit surly with the exception of one lovely waiter called Toni, who looked after us whenever he could and he made eating in the hotel much more of a pleasure than it would have been without him. He was, without exception, the smiliest and most welcoming of all the waiting-on and bar staff. His attitude was in complete contrast to that of his colleagues who seemed to be wishing they were somewhere else. Some of them made us feel like we were intruding by asking for a table or some more wine and seemed as though they were stressing out the whole time. I don’t know why because the hotel certainly was not busy.

I was brusquely sent back to our room on about the fourth night to get the room card so we could order wine despite the fact we’d already used the restaurant about six times and not been asked for any proof of residence (we weren't asked for the rest of the week either.)

This didn’t spoil the holiday at all. We were amused by it more than anything. As we were by observing people rushing out with their towels to reserve the sunbeds at 7 in the morning despite the hotel 'rules' forbidding this. Good job there were still about seventy five free beds to be had at midday when we were ready to sit out!

Our first room was in the Chicco annexe and was not very nice. It faced kind of a big clay wall and was dark and claustrophobic. It had a tiny balcony and was on the ground floor surrounded by dead plants. Also, it was right next to the boiler room for the hotel and every time someone ran a tap or flushed the loo – a massive banging and water pump noise ensued which went on for hours all through the night.

We asked reception if we could be moved and they agreed to move us on day 2.

The new room was a trillion zillion times better with gorgeous views over the pool and the sea and the mountains and we were delighted. The rest of the week in our new room was fantastic and we went on to enjoy a fantastic week of rest and relaxation.

We asked if we could have a late check out on Saturday and we were told that this wasn’t possible due to occupancy, which was fair enough and so we asked if we could use a room for a shower and freshen up before our flight. They said that this would be fine and gave us keys to a room that obviously isn’t in use because it had no shower – it was broken. We could have had a bath but there was no bath plug, so that was a bit of a waste of time. So a splash was had but there was no charge for this so I have taken this into consideration.

We had a fabulous time and we loved it to bits."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of October 2004

A Great Hotel

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"A good quality Hotel, about 200 yds from a clean beach in the old part of Santa Ponsa, very much a family Hotel. The food was first class with lots of choice and the rooms were excellent, This Hotel we would recommend and would visit again."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of August 2004

Fantastic Hotel.........

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"When we arrived at the hotel,we were very impressed..Definatley deserves a 4* Rating...All the staff were friendly and ready to help..Food was excellent..There were lots of Germans and not many English."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of July 2004

Full of Germans and cigarette smoke

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Over New Year 03-04 Nice hotel, staff ok. Facilities, meals and location were excellent. What did spoil it was a hotel full of Germans who smoked continuously and made their presence well known!. There was no ventilation or extractor fan in the bar area. Even bad after breakfast! hen only a dozen or so people in. I ended up with bronchitis as a result."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of January 2004