About Protur Sa Coma Playa Hotel & Spa

• kids club
  • adult pool

Great chilled out experience

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2011

"Went all inclusive and had a great holiday. First time with Protur and very impressed. Loved the waiter service and the all inclusive mini bar. Had a great day at the spa and the treatments really good. Great added extras to the normal 4 star you get in Spain"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of August 2011

This was supposed to be a Platinum stand...

Reviewed Tue 29th of July 2008

"This was supposed to be a Platinum standard holiday in a 4* hotel. Although the entertainment was generally good and restaurant staff were friendly and very helpful this did not apply in all areas. The standard of the rooms was extremely poor and tired with paint peeling and mould growing in the bathroom it is in much need of refurbishment. This, in fact, was made clear on arrival when we noticed a sign stating that the hotel was due to close in Novemeber 2008 for refurbishment. It was unfortunate that this was not made clear to us when we booked the holiday in April 08 as we would have certaily booked another hotel.
Please. Please check that the meat is cooked. On several occasions the chicken, in particular, was virtually raw."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of July 2008

I booked a holiday for myself and two da...

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2007

"I booked a holiday for myself and two daughters here in June 2007, I booked direct with the hotel skipped the travel agents and saved a fortune. This hotel was brilliant. The food was great, the room was always clean and the staff were always heplful. The pool was the best as there is a shallow end that leads into the main pool so my girls just played within the shallow area.

The hotel staff were brilliant, it was my first time to book a holiday without a rep. My daughter got very ill and the hotel organised for the doctor to come to my room, they also offered to pick up the prescription as I was a single parent with two children. They took care of all the cost until I got hold of my insurance. Just amazing!!! I would have never got this care from a holiday rep!!! All the staff really helped me with the children they really could not do enough.

There are always little things you could moan about but on this case this hotel was brilliant. I saved over £700 booking direct and also you don't have to pay until the end of the holiday, bargain. I will never book through a travel agent again!

We are actually going to this hotel again in May 2008. Again booked direct with the hotel.

Top hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of December 2007

This hotel could not be faulted. A retur...

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2007

"This hotel could not be faulted. A return after many years to package holidays but faith totally restored.

The food in both restaurants was superb in choice and quality as was the service.

The rooms were very good as was the standard of cleanliness.

Lovely well heated indoor pool. Good evening entertainment where you could still here yourself speak! Pleasant bar very good value drinks. May return."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of November 2007

The Hotel overall was excellent as were...

Reviewed Tue 26th of June 2007

"The Hotel overall was excellent as were the staff, catering and leisure facilities.

However on arrival we found the towels in the bathroom to be damp and grubby.
These were replaced and the management presented us with wine and flowers.

We then found hairs in the bath and the empty soap dispenser was not refilled.
The toilet cistern failed and I had to adjust this myself in an effort to avoid more fuss.

There were cobwebs in the bedroom and the balcony curtain was hanging from its support for most of the short holiday.

The safe deposit box locked itself and could not be opened - on the first occasion a technician dealt with it immediately but after the second failure we didn't bother any more.

A very expensive short holiday ruined by lack of attention to minor matters."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of June 2007

This was booked as part of our Cruise an...

Reviewed Sun 17th of September 2006

"This was booked as part of our Cruise and Stay Holiday.

Having been to Thomson Platinum Hotels previously in Gran Canaria and Tenerife, we did not hesitate to book this hotel thinking it would be of the same excellent standard. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Our ground floor room had graffiti on the wall. The hotel itself was very basic and lacked "finesse" as advertised by Thomson Platinum. The service in the dining room was poor even though the waiters were working as hard as they could. We cleared our own table between courses. In our opinion more waiters should be employed. This also goes for the entertainment lounge. Don't expect a peaceful piano bar, there's not one. If you want a quiet drink to avoid the rubbish entertainment, then you have to sit in the foyer area.

This is a "Protur" group hotel where dogs are also guests! Food was just o.k. This compares to 3* hotels we have been to and not 4* Platinum hotels. However, if you want excellent entertainment, wonderful food, excellent service and cleanliness, go on Thomson Spirit Cruise - you will not be disappointed!!!

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

Disappointed didn't live up to the reviews

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"Was really looking forward to my holiday at the sa coma playa having read all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed!
The hotel is in a concrete jungle of 4 storey buildings not set in gardens as advertised on website. The resort such as it is has a lovely beach but just a strip of overpriced "British" pubs and restaurants serving chips with everything. Thank goodness we had a car and were able to escape each day.
The hotel rooms had the hardest beds I've ever slept on dingy underlit bathrooms, noisy air conditioners and were infested with ants (2nd floor).
Food was OK but got quite repetitive. Breakfast was good.
Children's entertainment was really lacklustre (the hotel says it has a children's club) but in reality there is not much on offer, no children's club to leave your child for an hour or two just a half hour of colouring every morning and a darts game for the older ones.
Spa was shut for 3 out of our 7 days with no prior warning.
Gym within the hotel has 1 rusty treadmill and a couple of worn out bikes (c.1970)
There are no lights on the balconies either, which seems like a small issue but when travelling with a small child who wishes to go to bed early ,there is nowhere to sit and enjoy a drink/ read later in the evening.
Mini golf was the best bit of the resort our son loved it.
Lots of towels on sunbeds from dawn!!!!!!!!!!!! After 8.30am it was impossible to get a bed or umbrella.
Would not recommend this hotel or the resort the west end of the island has much more to offer or the pollensa area."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Excellent hotel The Sa Coma Playa

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Just got back from Sa Coma Playa hotel. Major tip - make sure your driver from the airport gets the name of the accommodation right! We were left at the Sa Coma Platja and then directed to the Sa coma Playa Aparthotel! Ended up in a taxi. When we eventually got to the hotel we were very happy with our stay. it was about 50/50 British and German guests and everyone got on very well. (the world Cup was on also). The staff were very efficient and friendly and the facilities are superb. It is part of a complex of hotels which all share some superb sporting facilities (tennis, crazy golf, driving range, volleyball, etc etc). There are 2 pools at the hotel and the smaller one at the front is quieter with plenty of sunbeds. Did not use the other one. The beach is about five minutes walk away and is very pleasant too. You can hire bikes of all sizes and descriptions right next to the hotel and that is recomended. Cala Millor is about ten minutes away by bike, which is a larger resort. Overall a nice resort and a lovely hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of July 2006

Lovely

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"lovley little touches like how they arrange the food and towels. They hand out watermelon by the pool as a gift and they place a pretty bouquet of flowers in your bedroom as a welcome gift, along with a fine bottle of wine. Coktails and sundaes are presented beutifully and the pools, indoor pool and gym are to die for. The spa is excellent and very cheap too!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 14th of July 2006

Nice hotel

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We stayed mid June 2006 and found this hotel very comfortable. The staff were friendly and pleasant, with the hardworking waiters deserving praise. The hotel was clean, and the shower is great. Tui Thomson UK reckon this one of their 4-start Platinum hotels, but there is nothing extra special, although it is 4 star. The hotel and its facilities and pool are clean and well kept. Evening entertainment is nothing special but gives a good excuse to remain around the hotel bar, but there is an early slot for children and the other 3 aparthotels on the same complex have better entertainment for children. Organised daytime activities are available. Enthusiasm of the Animacion team is limited.

Guests are mainly German and English. English is spoken by nearly all staff. Guests seem to mainly consist families with young children (under 10 yrs) and older couples, but perhaps this just relates to the time of year.

The hotel is on a complex containing several large aparthotels run by the same group. It is a 10 minute walk from a sandy beach. We would say it is in a quiet area. The pool is adjacent to the main road to Calla Millor and there is a Hertz Car Rental office outside as well as various types of pedal powered vehicles available for hire.

Food in the main restaurant is generally very good, but there was slightly too much emphasis on seafood for our tastes. There are several other restaurants on the complex that you can use for a supplement if you are staying halfboard here."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of June 2006

Wondeful Time!

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Just returned from a great 4 night stay.I booked my hotel through Expedia and got a twin room for sole use at a rate of £25 p.n which included B'fast and dinner!!Food was plentiful, very fresh and tasted good.
Room was very comfortable, fab power shower(luvly!) and nice balcony. 2 x outdoor pools looked lovely although too cold in November! Indoor pool and gym good (didn't use gym though). Had a massage in the Hotel Spa "Bio-Mar" and can highly recommend it. Staff very helpful and friendly, bar open til late and the entertainment was of a much higher standard than any hotel I have previously been to- 2 excellent shows!
Only down side for some may be the fact that the resort is almost shutdown after 20 Oct-don't go from Nov-Mar if you like a lively resort!(I don't). Also no direct bus to/from airport after 31st Oct so either taxi at 65 euros or I did train to Manacor, then taxi saving 45 euros!!
Would definitely recommend this hotel ;)"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of November 2005

Very Good, staff freindly, food good, entertainment mostly good

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Good hotel. Large rooms and good facilities. Only one gripe, I could not get on with the squirty soap on the walls. If you like a bar of soap take your own. Entertainment was generally good with a couple of bands excellent, made for a good evenings entertainment. A mini bottle of red wine (2 glasses) and a beer €6.50.

Very wide range of foods for both breakfast and dinner. Bacon was great for breakfast and the evening food was different every night with a choice vaying from a salad bar, to cooked meats, fish and a selection of Indian food one night. Too late in the year for much swimming (cool breeze to cool wind) also we had a major thunder storm and rain. The chance you take late Sept/early Oct. But the sun was warm and we did see it.

They have an indoor pool which is quite small and square. I suppose it is not used at all during high season.

While the food was varied and good we still found ourselves longing for a good steak in a good restaurant. Reception were good. At first they suggested Calla Miller but we just wanted to walk so they suggested La Bodega about 10 mins walk from the hotel on the opposite side of the road to the major supermarket (Do not recall its name).

This was a good call. We both had Fillet SteaK (Solomio). It was excellent as were the surroundings and the staff. We both had the feeling that they wanted you to be there and wanted to give you the best they were able. We had a bottle of red wine at €16.00 which was decanted into a good looking decanter at the table, nice touch. We really liked the wine. I had a G&t to start and we had a plate of mixed cheese with a Port each to finish. Total cost was about €78.00 for the lot.

Later in the week we went to Oasis, I would walk past it to La Bodega. The prices are comparable but the surroundings and customer care are not. Oasis did not give the impression that they cared at all. Sorry but a waitress in trainers does not seem right. We both had Fillet steaks again and they were good. Not quite to La Bodega but no complaints. The surroundings were not as nice and it just did not feel as good.

We did this on our own via Expedia. I was out in Majorca the week before and made my own way to Sa Coma from Palma. Caught the train to Manacor (€3.70) and arrived about 2:30, just the wrong time of day, there is a bus to Sa Coma but it leaves about 6:30 so I caught a taxi for €19.00. My partner arrived in the middle of the week and used resort hopper bus service from the airport for 15 Euro. Good service by all accounts though she had an hour wait for others to join. We used the same service to get back to the airport and it was fine, on time and comfortable. I did get the feeling that it is not a dead cert that they will be able to pick you up if you arrange it over there, but for use it worked.

During the rainy days we went on the local bus to Cala Bona. It was damp and we did not venture too far in case we got rained on but I could not see anything there. In fact we caught the bus back with the same driver. Stopped in Cala Maller, much better. (Bus Fare 1.4 Euro ea one way)

SMOKERS DIARY
It used to be that you could have a quick puff while waiting for your bags, no more. You have to wait till you are outside. This is by the Royal decree of King Carlos(?) and you almost feel that he may come down personally, grab you by the collar and whisk you off to the police if caught having an illicit drag. The hotel is fine. No smoking in the dining areas, fair enough, but OK elsewhere. La Bodega is non-smoking but worth it for the food.

The return journey. Before going through security you have to smoke outside but after that you can smoke at some of the bar areas inside the airport. We flew from C48 and there was a bar area with smoking. You can get a coffee from across the way and smoke in the bar area. No Beer! it was 9:30am, too early for me.

Hope this all helps. Have fun"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of October 2005