Good

A fantastic hotel, right on the sea fron...

Reviewed Mon 9th of June 2008

"A fantastic hotel, right on the sea front with a small but perfectly maintained beach area. The staff are trained to the highest standard and deliver nothing but excellence. the rooms are maintained to the highest standards by the house keepers and the entire hotel is spotless.

The restaurant has an excellent menu to cater for every taste with just the right mixture of local cuisine and firm favourites and the waiting staff are polite and very attentive. That said, they are not too attentive and I never felt rushed.

In the evenings there are numerous local tallemts booked to perform in the hotel lounge. In the week that I was there I enjyed flamenco dancing, a jazz band and a string quartet. AL of whom were of the highest quallity.

The hotel guests on the whole appear ti be of the older generation but there were some famillies with young children evident. There are many good local bars and restaurants but the town of Pollensa Port is very much a traditional and unspoiled location. The bars are clean and of a good standard but there is one of the loud music and drunken youth that one might associate with many of the other areas of Majorca. This was my 3rd visit to Majorca and my 3rd visit to the Illa D'Or, it just gets better every time!"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of June 2008

This was my 7th visit to this hotel and...

Reviewed Mon 2nd of April 2007

"This was my 7th visit to this hotel and the standard was exceptional. Although it was very good the first time I visited in 1997 this was the best it has ever been.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and are obviously trained to a high standard of customer service. Many of the staff have been there since my first visit and are very passionate about the place.

The rooms are cleaned to a very high standard with very friendly and trustworthy maids cleaning the rooms. The extra special touch of the chocolate on your pillow is very special.

The food has always been very good. The breakfasts are outstanding with such a variety. You can also choose to sit inside or out on the patio at the waters edge, this is nice in the morning as it is very sunny and although quiet there is a lot to look at. The hot breakfast is made in front of you and the bread and fruit very fresh. The evening meal is always very thought out and is different most nights.

The facilities are well kept and clean. The large outdoor pool is a good depth and the indoor fairly small but kept clean. Both pools are very well treated. The gym is small but the machines are modern and work well. There is also a sauna and steam room available. Along with the indoor pool in the basement is the spa and hair dresser which is always good to have.

The bar is outside with many tables to sit at and even rocking chairs. The bar staff are very fun and friendly and the service is immensely fast and always accurate. The drinks aren’t too over priced and complimentary nuts are always given with an order.

The internet is available in one of the two grand lounges where you can email home or just surf the net. Evening entertainment like dances and jazz bands are regularly based in the lounges.

The Illa DOr building itself is very beautiful and the layout is great. With the beach just on the door step of the hotel the sun always shines. The Sun beds are a good quality and there is a member of staff just to look after these along with the fresh daily beach towels and gardens.

This hotel really offers a great holiday for families or couples or those traveling alone. With a great atmosphere and clean, traditional decor I really feel at home. The memories last a long time.

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2007

Not for us!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"When booking, we requested a pool view. On arrival, the view we got was of a pool but not the Hotel's pool. The pool actually belonged to the Illa D'Or apartments. We decided to use this pool as the hotel pool was in the shade all day every day and was ice cold! As October is a quiet time of year, there was only one couple there and as the apartments share the same name as the hotel we assumed they shared facilities. Unfortunately, the other couple did not approve of us sharing 'their' pool and had us removed by the hotel's management! Management actually found the whole thing quite funny and couldn't see a problem with us using it as they said only three apartments were actually in use, the others were empty.
The jacuzzi and indoor pool are nice but someone decided to pour shower gel in the jacuzzi whilst we were staying there covering the whole room in foam! When we informed reception we were told 'What do you want us to do? Find the people and kill them?!' This was the general attitude of most staff!
Personally, the Hotel Illa D'Or wasn't for us."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of October 2006

Middle England in Majorca

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"If you are aged over 50, or parents with young children up to the age of 6, and are looking for a smart hotel right by the beach, with no noisy traffic, no chavs, no discos, no hen or stag parties, friendly staff who all speak English - well nearly all (!) - , a decent restaurant which serves good, well presented, varied food, cooked breakfasts as you wait, clean beaches with a gentle slope to the sea, a nearby resort (15 minutes away by beach path ) with links to the rest of the island ,but dont mind smallish rooms for its class, then look no more on the Website. Choose the Hotel Illa D'Or, pay extra for a sea view with balcony, and just relax and let the world go by.

This was the lot of my wife (3rd visit in 30 years ) and I (second visit in 15 years )between September 16th and 23rd, thanks to Sovereign Holidays. Flying from Bristol Airport - fine going out but delayed 90 minutes coming back - and then a further hour waiting for our luggage to be unloaded (disgraceful service) thus missing our train back to Cheltenham - then by personal taxi to and from the hotel, and a well positioned room, which had a balcony BIGGER than the room itself !! at the front, we idled away a week in the sun, recovering after moving house two weeks before.

The hotel is a favourite haven for Brits . Many return year after year, something that is immediately apparent in the evening dining room as guests appear, to be greeted like long lost relatives by the charming Maitre De who runs his crew with quiet efficiency ,lending a hand at all the tasks as the numbers of diners mounts, especialy between 8 and 9 pm. The four course meal (29 Euros for those not on Half Board) was always enjoyable with plenty of options to satisfy the fussiest of diners. Normally at least two meat dishes, one fish and a vegetarian as main course whilst the Hor's Doeuvre often provided the 'piece de resistance' of the meal. And always the option of the salad bar for any but the final sweet course. That too was of a high standard. The wine list ,of mainly Spanish or Majorcan wines, varied from 9 to 25 Euros with the option of half bottles, or wine by the glass if you preferred. Service was efficient. One criticism would be that the breakfast coffee was rationed by waiter service: no coffee pots on the table. But tea pots were self service with the usual selection of English choices.

On the downside, however, the small swimming pool was on the SW side of the hotel which meant that the sun did not get to that side until well after 3 pm. Also there was the usual scramble for beach beds each morning, for those with no balconies, despite sturn warnings by the hotel in its room pack that towels before 10 am would be removed; they weren't......

The beach side bar had an adjacent restaurant where you could enjoy a decent lunch with wine for about £15 a head - less if you were content with just a main course.

Evening entertainment ranged from a piano/violinist duo,to a three piece band for dancing, and a colourful display of Majorcan Flamenco dancing. But mainly folk just sat around and chatted. It is said that Agatha Christie based one of her novels here (the original hotel was built in 1929), and if she returned today she would find quite a few characters to include in her 'latest' thriller.

I suppose the greatest disappointment is the size of the rooms, but when all is said and done you dont go on holiday to stay in your room ! The beds were comfortable and the bathroom in our room had TWO side by side wash basins ! The TV seemed modern and, for us Brits, had the added attraction of BBC 1 and BBC 2 - no ITV, of course; the hotel knows its clientele - and definately no CNN..................The English papers - printed in Spain - arrived by 9.30 am each day. It was home from home..

Would we go again ? Yes, of course, providing we had a room with a balcony at the front. Anywhere else in the hotel might be a disappointment, but nevertheless worth a visit for the other attractions. Young children loved it - safe sand, safe water and high chairs for meals..

Having reached this far in this report you should be picking up the phone and making your arrangements for 2007......only one other hotel in Majorca provides such reliable service - the Bon Sol at Illetas, which is like staying in a Majorcan villa, where the owner and his wife dine with you every night.........trouble is that Illetas is nowhere near as attractive as Puerto Pollensa surrounded by beautiful mountains. But it is near to Palma.

Tony and Hilary Ireland, formerly of Skipton, but now of Cheltenham England."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

Wonderful hotel, fantastic location.

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a week on a half board basis. We have nothing but praise for the hotel, the room we had (a twin superior) was wonderful, with stunning views over the bay. The hotel was spotless and the rooms cleaned daily, with fresh sheets on every day, even the day before we left.

The outdoor terrace eating area is wonderful, you sit right next to the sea, it's very relaxing!

The town is a 10-15 minute stroll away, and has a good selection of cafes, bars & restaurants.

The only minor point I could be picky about is the limited number of sunloungers by the pool, so take a lilo to be guaranteed a place to recline unless you get there early in the morning! Would recommend this hotel to anyone after a relaxing holiday, particularly the over 50's."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of July 2006

Hated the Illa D'or

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"We have just returned from an unsatisfactory holiday at the Illa D'or. Our room overlooked a back street, a block of apartments and the hotel's storage yard. Our room was small and sometimes smelled of sewage. Other guests that we spoke to were also unhappy, and many had changed their rooms as soon as they could. The restaurant food was poor and tasted bland and overcooked. We saw the large catering tins of vegetables being delivered. There were strange items on the menu such as " pickled skate fish with seaweed" and the so called spider crab salad contained what were obviously Ocean Sticks.
The hotel sunbathing facilities and pool were inadequate for the number of guests given that they were often used by the guests of the hotel's apartments. The head waiter was rude and aggressive if you complained about anything and the management were apathetic when approached about this.
All in all, a five star location with a one star hotel, restaurant , and management. I wasted my money staying there."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of July 2006

Loved the Club Illa D'or apartments

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"We have just returned from the Club Illa D'or Apartments in Puerto Pollensa. The apartments were well appointed as you would expect from apartments that are managed by the Illa D'or Hotel but with a few small irritations. Although this is not specific to these apartments but as is often the case, whilst holidaying in Europe, the television channels available to English speaking visitors is fairly limited - BBC 24 hour News & Eurosport. When are owners of hotels and apartments going to wake up to the fact that although on holiday some people would like to tune into a film or a childrens programme if necessary? -out of 7 days holiday we had three cloudy days which included one very rainy day and two extremely cold evenings. We felt very sorry for people with very young children.
The plastic sunbeds around the apartment pool area did not have any cushions on them, nor were they available to hire from the hotel although the hotel sunbeds had cushions supplied. I can understand them being supplied for the hotel sunbeds as it is a four star hotel and the apartmants are only listed as three star but it would have been nice if they could have been available for hire from the hotel.
The welcome pack supplied by Travel Club of Upminster was a pleasant surprise, which also included a fairly decent and welcome bottle of wine.
The hotel and apartments are situated approximately 15 - 20 minutes walk from the centre of Puerto Pollensa so if you have a little trouble walking please be aware. We used the local buses to go to Palma and Pollenca several times but be warned the British holidaymaker abroad lose all sense of queing in an orderly fashion and at times it became a mad scramble to get on the bus which in one instance resulted in us sharing a taxi with another couple to go to Pollenca. Taxis are abundant and extremely clean. Fares are clearly displayed to most places on the island by the taxi ranks.
All in all a thoroughly good holiday and we would certainly return in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of June 2006

Perfectly Relaxing Holiday

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the over the Easter holidays and were really pleased with our whole stay. My wife is 6 months pregnant so we were after a relaxing and peaceful holiday. The staff were friendly and attentive without getting in the way, or being over intrusive. The hotel was a perfect blend of traditional and comfortable. The food was delicious, with the huge spread at breakfast proving an instant favourite with my wife, and the evening meal was of a consistently high quality with enough choice to please most palates. I gather that some of the rooms in the hotel had less than fantastic views, but our room on the second floor was ideal, overlooking the swimming pool with a part view of the bay of Porta Pollensa. The average age of the guests in the hotel was certainly over-50, so maybe not the place to go for those in their early twenties, but if you want a relaxing stressfree holiday, I would definately recommend it."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of May 2006

Very nice on the whole- Be careful which room you book!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Illa D'or in OCtober half term. On balance it was very nice and we would go there again. The eveing meals were fine, but perhaps not the most wonderful choices I have ever had. Staff friendly and efficient, and the location is very nice, as already described by other reviewers.

One minor thing- there is actually a military aerodrome nearby, for seaplanes in fact, but whilst there, only one was in action , just on one day, and we found it interesting in fact rather than intrusive.

The room was fine. Side- sea view BUT- it was right above the air conditionning unit. Rooms 101-4 would I think all be affected.

Thomson Holidays are careful NOT to tell you this when you book, nor to do anytihg about it. They also ruined the holiday by a 7 hour (yes SEVEN HOUR) delay for the flight back to Bristol, for which no compensation was given.

By all means go, but not with Thomson."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of March 2006

A celebration week

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"I spent a week here with my husband to celebrate my 60th birthday - the "children" arrived out of the blue for the weekend. Almost all the hotel staff knew about the surprise and seemed to enjoy it as much as we did. I would rate the hotel as one of the friendliest I have stayed in. The site of the hotel was superb, our room was excellent and the food and wine very good. Breakfast was a big hit with the whole family! The entire hotel was immaculate;not a speck of dust anywhere - and we checked! All the staff made our holiday one to remember - I would recommend it,particularly off season when the island is not too crowded."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of March 2006

A lovely hotel in a lovely location. Qui...

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2005

"A lovely hotel in a lovely location. Quiet- most of the guests were elderly, but a sprinkling of children too. Right on the waterfront, but no beach to speak of. Nevertheless, there is a nice area where one can stretch out, with a bar close at hand, and the water, right by the hotel, is only a few inches deep. There is a stone- built pier. At the end of this, the water is about 5' deep.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Food was fine, we all felt. Spotlessly clean hotel.

NEGATIVE POINTS- Rooms 101-104 are on the first floor directly above the air con plant. It can be rather noisy and would disturb a light sleeper. Surely the holiday companies know this?? (But see below.)

My big mistake was to travel with Thomson- arrived back at Palma to find a 5 hour delay to the flight which turned into 7 hours. The Thomson staff at the airport were unhelpful and their explanation for the delay was different to that given by the captain of the aircraft when it finally arrived. They clearly don't care what they tell the punters, so long as it shuts them up. 2 other Thomson flights were seriously delayed too.

DON'T USE THOMSON!

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005

A proper Hotel

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful week at the Illa D'or.This is a civilised hotel a million miles away from the noisy tower blocks.The service was perfect from the start and we felt that we were not just another tourist.Every member of staff did their best to make sure everyone was happy.Our room was very comfortable and the view pleasant considering we were at the back of the hotel.The little extras such as chocolates and a card telling us the weather forcast for the following day made it extra special.The breakfast buffet was beautiful,you name it and it was there,the selection of fruits was fantastic.There was also plenty of choice for people who require low fat/sugar foods.Dinner was just as good with plenty of choice and the food was beautifully presented.My only critisism is that the portions were a little small but there were four courses and we certainly didnt go away hungry.This hotel seems to appeal to older people probably because they know they will be well looked after.I am in my late fifties and I felt very young there!Many guests return year after year so that must mean something.Peurto Pollensa is a lovely resort and it doesnt get too crowded.The Illa D'or is in a good position on the Pine walk
with a panaramic view of the bay.We really enjoyed our week there and it has spoiled us for anything else.It was worth paying more to get what we had here and we would go back again."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of September 2005

Hotels near Hotel Illa d'Or

Hotel Illa d'Or is also called

• Illa DOr Hotel