Aparthotel Duva & Spa

Carretera Palma a Pto. Pollenca Km. 58, 07470 Port de Pollenca, Majorca Spain

Great Value for Money

Good

"I have to start by saying how wonderful and helpful the reception staff were, especially Karen as she was always very friendly and made us feel very welcome. I found all the hotel staff were very friendly, (the show chef, head waiter etc.) except the barman who was incredibly rude, lazy, grumpy and more interested in being on his phone then serving drinks.Even if you were the only customer in the room he would still take at least ten minutes before serving you.We always ended up with coke in our drinks instead of lemonade and a lot of the time the drinks we wanted were unavailable i.e Sangria, Hot Chocolate etc.without an explanation or apology.He tended to throw your drinks at you like it was an incredible effort to pour you a drink.Awful! How on earth he ever managed to get a job in hospitality i will never know!

The room was fantastic for what we paid, very Clean and spacious, with a nice balcony.Food was good, the spa was fantastic, a real bonus.But you do have to wear swimming caps inside which were rather uncomfortable.The outdoor pool is great for adults but a bit deep for small children.The town is approx 10mins away but taxis are cheap at 5euros. The swimming pool across the road was fantastic as there was never anyone there, perfect for quiet relaxation.The entertainment was not great but not awful.

All in all we were very pleased with the Duva, minus the barman!
It was a great last minute cheap holiday and would return again."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of November 2006

Value for Money

Good

"Stayed at the Duva 12th to 23rd Sept 2006. Four adults all in 60's (or thereabout) but very much young at heart! Two of us had visited Puerto Pollensa a year ago and were very impressed with the resort and therefore tempted two friends to give it a try.

Our first visit to the Duva though and overall we were more than satisfied. We received a lovely welcome at Reception and found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful (particularly the English girl from Norfolk!).

The rooms are quite well sized and very clean. A word of warning about the safe - it is in the wardrobe and a note advises you to collect a safe key from Reception - however at approx £15 we thought this a bit pricey!

There is a good sized outdoor pool but it is rather cold. A large indoor pool is within the leisure area downstairs together with a first class gym. Pool towels can be obtained from leisure reception desk at a charge of 10 euros per towel but this is refunded at the end of your stay and the towels can be changed for laundering as and when required. Incidentally as someone else has suggested it is likely that this leisure centre is reponsible for the 4 star rating! A more realistic rating for the hotel would be 3+ but don't let this put you off!

On the downside we found the entertainment to be pretty basic but families with young children might be glad of it!

The inside bar is quite pleasant and does provide a large tv screen showing most premiership football.

It is about a 20 minute walk to the centre or seafont. The local bus charges 1.10 euro per person Taxis cost between 4.50 and 5.00 euros so if there are four of you it is no dearer!

The hotel restaurant offers an "all you can eat" buffet for 9 euros (13 if you include drinks). Not fantastic but it is good value if you don't wish to go out.

We enjoyed our stay and would certainly consider staying there again! We thought it good value for the price paid!"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of October 2006

Duva is not sure what market it wants to attract

"I would agree with much of what appears on this site re the entertainment in particular even if it was Las Vegas standard it would have been too much every night however the entertainment could only be described as cringe making at best. I had the misfortune to have the ground floor room nearest to the bar with a metal staircase next to the window where the children were sleeping. There was a ping pong placed on the pavement outside our window with people constantly recovering balls from our patio. The first day we arrived we placed our 5 year old on our patio sun bed under the tree outside our door to shelter her from the heat. The hotel manager came over and instructed us to remove the bed as it would kill the grass. When I politely questioned the way in the way he had asked us to move the bed he told us we were lucky he did not remonstrate with us for having a pillow from our room on the bed (our room was 6 feet away and we were still on our patio area). He then showed us a copy of the rules incidentally none of them referred to the beds on grass. The main pool was dangerous for small children too deep and shallow end separated by metal bars the pool area is far too small for the number of guests. I witnessed little children slipping around like nine pins on the slippy poolside tiles. The pool on the other side of the Duva is much more suitable for families. Notwithstanding the above the reception staff were excellent very helpful and professional. The grounds are very well kept they clearly put a lot of effort into ensuring that the plants etc. are well maintained. The cleaning staff were also very effective and discreet. All in all the Duva is a good place to stay for families if you don’t mind driving or getting transport to the beach. The rooms are of a very good standard the aircon being a particular bonus, however this is not quite a 4 star resort but it could so easily be the problem is the Duva does not quite know what it wants to be. Puerto Pollensa whilst busier than I remember is still a superb resort for families and people who enjoy a more relaxed pace."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of October 2006

A balanced view.

Good

"We booked this hotel on the strength of the reviews we read but when we revisited the site shortly before travelling we were apprehensive about our stay because of the negative reports that had appeared. However my worst fears weren't realised and I ended up having a most enjoyable holiday.

The first thing to say is that my wife and I were travelling alone and booked the Duva because it had the facilities of an hotel with the added bonus of self catering facilities so that we could enjoy a cup of tea first thing in the morning! Thus, we did not dine at the Duva but the restaurant was clean and airy and served buffet style meals. The menu for the main courses did change daily and the prices were very reasonable when compared to the restaurants in Pollensa.

The apartments were clean and spacious and even though we were situated facing the main pool area and stage for the entertainment we were not disturbed by any kind of noise at all but we did not go to bed until well after the entertainment finished each evening. We were very satisfied with the accommodation and with its maid service available 6 days per week it was always kept spotlessly clean. One thing to note though was even though we did get towels changed daily you will need to make sure you buy or take soap and shampoo as none was supplied after the first day.

Many guests here are on an all inclusive basis so you can imagine it is busy all day as most families prefer to stay by the pool rather than explore the island or go to the beach. This is probably because having paid to be all inclusive they don't want to spend money elsewhere! However, there is also a smaller pool across the road belonging to the Duva and this was usually quiet if all you wanted was to sunbathe in peace and quiet.

With regard to the Duva being 20 minutes from the town centre and main beach we did not find this a problem. We walked into town each evening for dinner and it was a pleasant stroll even though it was along a main road. Yes, you have to walk in a cycle lane but this is about 3 metres wide and not like the narrow lanes we have at home. Even if you don't feel like walking then reception will get you a taxi, and you can get them in the centre of town for the return journey, and it will cost you no more than €5 each way.

We had no problems at all with the reception staff who were all polite, efficient and with a good command of English.

The only really negative comments I would make were concerning the bar and its manager. Service was shoddy, the drinks were not premium quality and I have yet to see the bar manager smile! Perhaps this is because the vast majority of clients are all inclusive so the drinks are the cheaper variety to help the profitability and perhaps the staff have no incentive to give good service because of the absence of tips.

The entertainment was fine for keeping the children amused and I suppose it broke the monotony for those people who had to stay in the vicinity all evening because of their children. It wasn't top class entertainment but these guys are on the first step of the ladder to stardom and they tried hard to please.

All in all I think this hotel is ideal for families with small chidren as well as independent travellers who want to use it as a base from which to visit other resorts."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of October 2006

good value ? YES

Good

"My wife and I wanted a walking holiday in the mountains north of Mallorca, so I needed to choose a hotel close to Pollenca or Peurto Pollenca. I read with interest, the reviews of the Aparthotel Duva in P. Pollenca and emailed directly to the Hotel and struck a fully inclusive, 8-night stay in an apartment. This totalled £473
I booked two return flights directly with British Airways on the Internet for £151. We arrived at about 09.30 am and left at 19.45pm, giving us almost two full days of holiday.
I hired a 1.4 Fiesta for 8 days, through CARJET, with full crash damage waiver, from Palma airport which was with the company Centauro in Mallorca. For £100.
Two people, 8 days 4star, all inclusive , £724 including a hire car, why do people still do package deals ?
The Aparthotel Duva was found easily after about a 1-hour drive from Palma. We were let into our apartment early, the reception staff were bright, very helpful and a couple of minor problems were easily and quickly sorted out.
I was mildly disappointed that although I had booked in May, some four months previously and asked for a quiet, top floor room, we were given a room overlooking the pool and some 100 yards from the outdoor entertainment stage. However, as things turned out, this was not so much of a problem. We were not there all day and the evening entertainment was poorly visited and was taken to indoors halfway through our stay.
We had no problems at all with the food on offer; it was varied with possibly too much choice. A minor criticism was the food could sometimes be a little less than hot.
We attributed this to the fact that in mid September, the hotel did not seem to be at all busy, sometimes very quiet in the restaurant, even at peak times. So the food was not replenished as often as it might have been, had they been busier.
I repeat, the choice on offer was more than adequate, equalling and in some cases surpassing many other hotels that I have been to.
I thought back to some of the “complaints” that I read about of the hotel, and I reckon that I could spot the likely wingers.
If you are the type who’s summer wardrobe was bought from the bargain bin of
JJB Sports, or who think that the height of fashion is an England football strip, eat nothing but burger and chips and have to be sat in front of a table load of drinks to be happy, then you may complain. We could spot the “I’ve paid for it, so I’m going to have it” brigade a mile away. We even saw one person take and attempt to eat part of the food decorative display.
I encountered no problems from the bar staff or Carlos and his hard working restaurant staff either about drinks or food. They were all charming, and courteous.
My fully inclusive deal was for an apartment not a room, with limited cooking facilities, fridge, microwave, kettle and so on. Breakfast, lunch and dinner on an eat as much as you want buffet. Free drinks for most of the day, free use of all equipment in the keep fit and sports facility. I think that my wife and I had a fantastic deal.
If you ever are in this region of Mallorca, don’t just laze around the pool, get out and visit the mountains and walk amongst them. The trails are well marked and vary from easy strolls to difficult day hikes. Visit Cap Formentor, and the Alcudia peninsular there is so much more to Mallorca than Irish Pubs, MacDonald’s and tacky souvenir shops.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Aparthotel Duva."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of September 2006

Good & bad

"We stayed at the Duva for 8 nights in mid-September, after 3 nights in Palma.

The place was a mixture of good and bad. It was a good base from which to explore, & quieter than in-resort accommodation, but we would have gone mad without a hire car & pitied all those trying to walk 'just down the road' in the cycle lane to the beach & restaurants. The 'entertainment' ploughed on regardless of 1.5 people in audience & was squirm-worthy. We pitied those with rooms overlooking the pool because of this endless twaddle, & felt very tempted to ask if quiet (as opposed to daft quizes or loud 'music') while reading at the poolside was forbidden - did they ask anyone if they wanted a constant racket?

Our room was comfortable for 2 (would have been a squash with 4) and the aircon was necessary (if a bit noisy in the bedroom). We had the view over the mountains & the tennis courts & watched Spanish kids being trained & the novel paddle courts with interest (try the amazing bottled Sangria from the hypermarket - add ice & fruit; did us for 3 nights!!! At under 5euros for 13% vol - that was good!) We also enjoyed the sunsets & electric storm shows!!

I agree that the spa downstairs was not inviting - obviously there for locals rather than guests.

The room showers were very iffy - pressure & temperature changed in an instant, & had quite a full horizontal spray (declogging needed?)

The biggest health & safety issue was the sloping tiles at the deepest end pool side, getting out of the pool - I slipped twice, & on our last day a girl in her 20s slipped & fell heavily, scrapped/bruised her thigh & elbow, & had to leave with blood pouring down her arm soon afterwards. The metal bases of the umbrellas were also slippery with wet feet ,& one had a jagged broken strut which no one attempted to repair or remove.

The food was very so-so, fair value for money, but one had to learn to pick & choose, even for breakfast (stick to the fresh fruit, breads & sweet things & avoid the 'orange juice' & sausages like the plague. ) Things ran out repeatedly & one had to inconvenience the staff by asking if more could be brought. They rarely noticed unprompted, & cutlery etc ran out too. We would strongly recommend that no one goes all inclusive!! The service was very hit and miss, ranging from someone trying to remove my breakfast when I went to refill a cup of coffee (saucers were a random luxury) to generally unhappy faces, with the exception of the head waiter who was of the old Mallorcan school & was courtesy itself. Even so one had the impression that they couldn't wait to draw the curtains & shut the doors. They also randomly seemed to lock guests out from the terrace area for breakfast, while this was an obvious entry to the dining room on other mornings.

Reception staff were extremely helpful, & willing to find out quite specific stuff which included phoning on one's behalf. Very obliging.

We ate in Pollense, Alcudia & Puerto Pollensa (don't go to the White Rose at the nearby roundabout!! the other local place is ok)and found a gem of a beach that we're not going to tell anyone about."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

Butlins, Puerto Pollensa

"I didn't realise that the "Holidays in the SUN" deals had reached as far as the Balearics! Why do Hotel entertaiment organisers believe that "Brits abroad" want to play bingo, participate in `Family Blankety Blank' and still desire to sing their favourite Kareoke tune every night? Fortunately, the cosmopolitan appeal of the resort centre and pine walk were only a 20 minute walk away.

Bar staff had no experience or interest in anything close to good customer relations. Sunbeds by the main pool were "reserved" by 08:00hrs and if you did manage to find a spot, you were packed in like penguins!

Reception staff were helpful, the rooms were clean and the aircon worked well. The swimming pool across the road, adjacent to the tennis courts, was much quieter and more suited to younger families/couples. However, this was occasionaly infiltrated by the odd pack of youths whose parents had little time to care of their whereabouts or behaviour. Probably busy collecting vouchers from the Sun newspaper ready for the next holiday!

Pollensa old town was nice but avoid the resteraunts at the base of the flight of steps (380ish) up the hill. Hidropark in Alcudia was good value and easier to get to than the water parks in the south. Hire a car and visit Valdermossa and Deia but take the motorway route rather than cross country."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of August 2006

Felt very let down by the Duva and agreed with all other negative reviews

"We booked our stay at the Duva Aparthotel through an internet company, Mediland. We have to agreed with most of the other negative reviews left on here. The bar staff were very unfriendly and left you waiting ages and ages to get a drink. We booked 'all inclusive' but in fact there is a very defined amount of things included. Rock hard sandwiches are available as 'snacks' 12pm-5pm daily and you can not have crisps for the kids after 5pm for free either. But this changed depending on which grumpy bar person served you!! The rooms were basic and full of ants! The air-conditioning did not work, but after complaining the maintenance man fixed it. The entertainment ruined our stay at the Duva if I am honest..... it is very much like Bultins with an awful entertainment team which were appalling and laughable. Overweight girls dancing around the stage in pink lycra.. straight out of the late 70's. The swimming pool is tiny and has no 'shallow' end. The stagnant ponds around the gardens are a total waste of space and dangerous for young children. The food in the restaurant was the same every night and took away any joy of going for your evening meal. The manager of the hotel told us that the Duva had run at a 'loss' last year so had offered 'all inclusive' packages this year.... but not totally 'all-in' My daughter approached the bar for a packed of crisps and waited 20 mins to be served, then had the crisps snatched away because they wanted a Euro for them! Overall we were very dissappointed with the Duva. We paid £1700 for one week and would not return there or recommed. Especially if you are used to proper 4 Star hotels... After we complained to the Manager about all the unexpected let downs..... he said he could not get the staff anymore so had to employ young people on the bar who offered no service what so ever. Bad experience for us all round. The road was so dangerous to walk into the town with no pavements and had to walk in the bike lane... which did not slow down for you! That is an accident waiting to happen. I booked for myself and my partner and 2 daughters. 1 daughter is 10yrs and the other 14yrs.... clearly stated on my booking confirmation. When i arrived at the hotel i was accused of probably suggesting my eldest daughter was 12yrs to get her into the child catagory rather than adult!!! I had it in black and white my daughter was 14yrs so was not trying to hoodwink the hotel. They told me it was a bad booking and there policy was 12yrs the cut off for a child and i should pay more for due to my daughter being a 3rd adult in the party. I reported this to the manager and got an apology for the receptionist' rudeness. The indoor pool is shown in the brochure and look very inviting, but in fact only adults can use it and have to wear swimming hats!!! So it stands totally empty 99% of the time. Under no circumstances are children allowed in the gym even if they are with an adult... so if you have a 15yr old lad who would like to go to the gym with dad..... he cant! All these facilities are guarded at the door by an attendant. Definately would not recommed."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

Superb value for money

"The Duva represented excellent value for money. Noting the review below under "disappointing Duva" - what do people expect for the price? We paid £360 for 7 nights (without meals - booked with Alpharooms). It was utterly superb for that. I agree the rooms were a bit basic, but certainly not tacky. They were probably not representative of what you might ordinarily expect in a 4 star - but I emphasise - neither is the price! The rooms were clean and totally functional. The (necessary) air conditioning worked well.

When we were there entertainment was provided - and it could be quite noisy especially for those apartments that faced the music. Could be described as "Butlins-ish". However, it seemed to close down by 11pm which could not be regarded as anti-social.
Staff were very helpful - particularly Karen, an English girl who always made us feel welcome and nothing was ever too much trouble.

While we booked a 'no meals' arrangement, we did try the hotel on one occasion for dinner. The meal was nothing special, but like the hotel represented good value for money. It was a buffet arrangement where you simply helped yourself to however much you wanted. There was a deal where unlimited beer and wine was available for a few euros more, but the draft red wine did not encourage you to over indulge.

Mention is made of the location - it was exactly what we expected. There are a number of restaurants within a 10 minute walk, the nearest being about 3 minutes away, next to the Spar mini market. There is a larger supermarket 8-10 minutes walk along a busy road, but you walk along the cycle lane which offers a degree of security.

We went primarily for the walking in the nearby mountains - there are a number of good walks where you can pick up the routes from the hotel. For those who prefer the beach, it is about a 10-12 minute walk away and is quite pleasant.

Would we stay again? Definitely."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

Aparthotel Duva, Puerto Pollensa

Good

"WE stayed in the aparthotel on 1-8 of June and can only say great things about it. We are a couple (28 & 33) with no children and found the hotel to be brilliant. The health suite was perfect to chill out in before we headed into town although it only has free use from 9am - 3pm, after that you have to pay ten euros each to use it.

There is a 10 min walk into PP, but this isn't so bad although it would be more difficult with baby buggies and young toddlers who insist on walking.

PP itself is lovely, and i would defnitely recommend taking a trip to pollensa old town and also take the ferry over to Formentor - these two trips made our holiday even more perfect!"

• Travel date: Sun 11th of June 2006

A super holiday.

"Just returned from a excellent week here. Rooms clean, comfortable and spacious. Dining room staff very attentive and friendly. Loved the food, great variety and plentiful. Excellent pools both indoor and out. Grounds well kept, lily pond and carp very pretty. 20 minutes walk to town center. Courtesy bus to beach in morning returns in afternoon. Stops beginning of October. Taxis plentiful and cheap also local bus. Entertainment family orientated though none on the Saturday night which I thought odd. All in all no complaints, would return in future. Puerta Pollensa and locality well worth a visit. Pine Walk beautiful. Ann from Wishaw. "

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of October 2012

smart hotel apartments

"apartments very spacious , not a four star hotel,food very basic,
alright if you like fish, cips ,salad, lots of porky dishes.stews
not my idea of decent holiday food. two star food , thee star
apartment."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of September 2012

Hotels near Aparthotel Duva & Spa

Stayed at Aparthotel Duva & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Aparthotel Duva & Spa

• jhoulan by jhoulan

"Good flat walking. Good bars and restaurants. Mainly British and mature holiday makers or families "

• jhoulan by jhoulan

"Hotel Miramar for good service for drinkd and lunchtime snacks "

• The Boroughs by The Boroughs

"Bit too 'English' for us. Pretty in places, tacky in others. The Old Town is a must. "

• The Boroughs by The Boroughs

"Clivia & Lattitude both great restaurants. Soller railways from palma is beautiful. "

• jamier100 by jamier100

"Aparthotel Duva - The views drivng to and from Formentor "

• Irene McKinnon by Irene McKinnon

"This is a great base to explore the surrounding areas. "

• Ali49 by Ali49

"Take your rubber gloves "

• Fliss by Fliss

"ask for a quieter apartment away from the pool by the mountainside "

• David R by David R

"maintain the apatments to a better standard,put a decent assotment of food on ,clenlyness of apartment toilets not good. "

• Ann from Wishaw by Ann from Wishaw

"Start off with an excellent breakfast then take the day it as it comes. "

Aparthotel Duva & Spa is also called