Aparthotel Club del Sol

Carretera Puerto Pollensa - Alcudia km 62.3, 07470 Port de Pollenca, Majorca Spain

Good as a base!

"We stopped at the Club del Sol for the last 2 weeks in September, booked as a last minute deal with First Choice.
We were pleased with the appartment . It was of a good standard, clean with a decent sized bathroom, hairdrier, TV with English channels, microwave, toaster and was cleaned 5 days per week

When we arrived we got a voucher for a free buffet style evening meal in the restaurant which we used that night as we had arrived quite late on. It was poor! - little left, chips, chicken nuggets etc, staff who seemed unhappy we were eating late as they wanted to get cleaned up. We always eat out on holiday anyway, and spent the 2 weeks eating in some brilliant restaurants in the Port of Pollenca, Pollence and Palma. There are some fantastic restaurants round the square - try the Italian - La Piazza and on the pine walk try little Italy, we didnt have a bad meal in 2 weeks

The entertainment was not our thing at all - Butlins comes to mind! - We heard the start of it every night as we set of out of the complex! I am sure it is brill for kids though.

During the day, we found a quieter pool away from kids and the day time entertainment

It was a long walk into town - about 40 mins. It can be done, but the road was very busy - not a senic walk !The bus was 1 euro 10 though and a taxi back was 6.50. The buses were reliable though!

We went to Palma on the bus and booked into a hotel for the night - which was well worth doing

All in all - a good, clean base for a holiday - but eat out and explore!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of October 2007

Fantastic holiday

"Have just arrived back from a fantastic holiday at Club del Sol. On arrival reception made us feel very welcome so helpful and friendly all speaking English. Were amazed at our room, we had requested high floor with sea view and that was exactly what we had but with pool view as well. It was immaculate one of the cleanest we have ever stayed in, decoration and furnishings were excellent, lovely large bathroom with constant hot water and a good size balcony. The swimming pools were spotless as were the surrounding areas, there were ample sun beds a lovely poolside bar and snack bar which provided really good lunches. We had booked self catering plus (free drinks from 9.00am until midnight plus one free evening dinner) We enjoyed our meal so much we booked half board which was excellent value. The entertainment reps were brilliant working most of the day and every evening. The bus stops outside the hotel and buses go every 15 minutes to puerto pollensa, alcudia or palma. There are excellent restaurants in pollensa especially in the square which has a lovely atmosphere. A visit to Old Pollensa is a must 1.10 euros on the bus ,walk up the 365 steps to the church where the views are magnificent. We will certainly be going back next year."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

Disappointing

"This complex is more a 2 star than a 4 star. Our apartment was damp, musty and had ants but maybe ours was the only one like that!! Noise levels from other apartments was also very high, especially flushing of water etc. We found the reception staff unfriendly on arrival & departure. Entertainment in complex at night very cheesy but ok for kids or if you like that sort of thing. The pools were nice and big but freezing at this time of year so we werent able to sample. The crazy golf area was overgrown with weeds. The complex is located a couple of KMs out from Port de Pollenca resort so not very accessible for going out at night - luckily we had hired a car or we would have had to wait for a bus across a very busy road to bring us into the resort! Overall we werent impressed and would not recommend."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of October 2007

Great apartments, a long way from the resort though!

Good

"My Fiance and I stayed at the resort in May this year.
The staff were very polite and friendly. We could not fault how clean the rooms were and how tidy the grounds were kept.

The only bad word we have to say about the resort is how far it was from the resort centre, as we were not to keen on The First Choice 'entertainment' in the bar every evening, a little cringey for two people in their 20's!

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay, and would go back another year."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of October 2007

Would definitely stay here again

"My husband and I stayed here from 29th September to 6th October. We had a one bedroom apartment and were pleasantly surprised at the standard of accommodation - clean, spacious, plenty of storage, fabulous views etc etc. We were in block 4 and the view from our balcony was.......swimming pool, sea and mountains - quite stunning. We had breakfast in the restaurant a few times - this costs 6 euros (about £4) and you can have as much as you want - bacon, sausages, fried/scrambled eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns, baked beans, ham, cheese, cereals, bread, toast, jams, fruit juices, coffee, tea - you can really fill up here for the day!! The staff are friendly and speak very good English. We ate out in the evenings in Puerto Pollensa - 1 Euro 10 cents on the bus (last bus is 8 pm) and 6.5 Euros in a taxi; taxis are in abundance - no hanging around. There are loads of restaurants in Puerto Pollensa and all of them are reasonably priced. We hired a car and travelled around a bit - the cost of car hire is also reasonable compared to other countries. Worth travelling to Alcudia beach - can be reached on the local bus if you don't want to drive - really big sandy beach. We booked this through Great Late Deals and had no problem with their booking procedure etc. Unfortunately we also booked our transfers through them!!!!!! Our transfers were with Holiday Taxis - we arrived at the airport just after 10pm and arrived at Club del Sol at 1 am the next morning. On our return they picked us up much earlier than they had confirmed originally and we ended up sitting on the shuttle bus for two hours!!! We have complained to them about this appalling service and I would not recommend them unless you want to spend hours and hours waiting around in the airport or on the shuttle. Apart from this the holiday was lovely - the Club del Sol lives up to its 4 stars - the entertainment in the evening is a bit "Butlins" so ideal if you have kids but it wasn't for us"

• Travel date: Tue 9th of October 2007

Loved it!

"Myself, my husband and our 2 year old daughter returned from Majorca yesterday. We had a fantastic time. Unlike the previous review, we found staff at Club Del Sol very friendly and they were fantastic with our daughter.

Entertainment was a bit cheesey but perfect for the family holiday we were going for. Our daughter loved the mini disco and the evening shows, especially the snakes and parrots.

The First Choice reps, Claire, Stuart and Kayleigh did everything they could to entertain people including various pool games in the adult pool and table tennis/killer pool during the day. On the Thursday of the holiday the weather went a bit down hill in the morning, so the reps held some quizzes in the main bar which kept us entertained until the sun came out.

We went for the self catering plus option, so all local alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, tea coffee for adults and soft drinks, icecream and crisps for our daughter were free. We found it saved us a fortune, so had more money to spend on the duty free.

We did upgrade to half board half way through our holiday due to being out of town and we found the food to be fine. Everything had chips with it , but it was your choice to put them on the plate. Meals varied from all types of fish in different sauces, Squid, turkey, beef, chicken, kebabs, lasagne, ravioli, carbonara, various types of salads and cold meats. Desserts were fantastic!! Breakfast had a good variety, you could have the typical full english if you wished, but there was also fresh fruit, youghats, croissants, toast with as much tea, coffee and fruit juice as you wish.

We would definitly go back there again, but would hire a car to see more of the island. We did enjoy being out of the main part as you were not woken up by roudy people coming in at all hours. Noise stopped once the entertainment stopped, and even if you were in your room before the bar closed, you could easily sleep.

Overall fantastic holiday. We would class it as a four star hotel as we have been to hotels supposed 3+ stars elsewhere, and I felt like I was in luxury at Club Del Sol compared to the holes we have stayed in before.

Recommended for families with young children and young teenagers, may be a bit too out of the way for older teenagers. Also for couples who like to have a bit of fun and join in with the reps and the chessey entertainment."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of October 2007

Fantastic resort

"We have recently returned from a fantastic week in Porte Pollenca stopping at the Club del Sol hotel with our daughter (2.5 yrs) and son (1yr). I booked the hotel mainly on the strength of the great reviews that the hotel received on this website and I realise now (with the benefit of hindsight) that I was quick to overlook the negative comments that were also made.

THE HOTEL

This hotel should be classed as a 3 star not a 4 star. We stopped in an apartment which has been described on here as spacious.....Trust me, it is not spacious. It consists of an open plan kitchen/diner/living area with a small bedroom off that. It was fairly basic and the decor needs some serious updating. After the great reviews that this place has received, I have to say that we were disappointed.

Whilst on the face of it, it was clean, the splash back over the sink hadn't seen a cloth nor Mr Muscle since the hotel was built and the cupboards were filthy. The staff were not particularly helpful either. The hotel reception did not even possess a map of the resort and the receptionist looked at me like I was bonkers when I asked for one.

The hotel is too far out of the resort. It's a 35 to 40 minute walk down a busy road with only a cycle path. There are buses which run every 15 mins but we found that during the day, they would drive past because they were too full so we were forced to walk. It has also been described on here as a scenic walk. I would describe it more as death defying!! It is the main road out of the resort and very busy. It was not something I felt comfortable doing with two young children.

The food was buffet style or to be truthful, school canteen style. If you book this hotel, do not go for all inclusive....You will be disappointed...... The breakfast was ok, we passed on the meal voucher for an evening meal, although our children did have a meal there once and it was pretty average.

So what good things can I say about this hotel?........Well the pools are ok, two big ones and 2 toddler pools. There's a mini disco every evening which our daughter loved. Our kids were too young for the kids club but I have to say that it did look good.

The best advice I can give you if you are stopping at this hotel, is to get out into the resort and hire a car....

THE RESORT

Well, what can I say....Porte Pollenca is absolutely fabulous. No regrets at all about booking this resort. A really pretty bay, no tackiness, fantastic beaches, great restaurants, family friendly etc. We got chatting to some die hard Majorcan veterans who gave us some great recommendations for meals out:

Ivy Garden (next door ish to Tribeca - on the street running parallel with the beachfront (Pinewalk) - turn left at the Chinese restaurant (by the way, do not go there it's awful), then right and keep walking, you'll see Tribeca on the corner, and then Ivy Garden is a few doors up on the left - amazing venue, amazing food)
Tribeca
Stay (on the harbour.........Amazing)
C'aan Guerrella (turn right out of hotel and it's about 300m up the road on the right...Unbelievably good)
La Piazza (Italian in the square - great pizzas)

Pollenca old town is worth a visit.......There is a great piazza with some fab restaurants, and if you want something really special then go to "Cantonet", it's only open in the evenings and you have to book.

The beach at Formentor is also worth a visit.........It's like paradise, and great for young children because the beaches are tree lined and quite narrow so you can keep your eye on them a bit better.

All in all, we had a fabulous holiday and will definitely be returning to Porte Pollenca but never to Club del Sol!!"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of October 2007

Fantastic resort, everything you need

Good

"My husband and I stayed at Club del Sol with our 2 children, ages 10 + 8. They had a wonderful time, not only in the big swimming pool but taking part in the activities. It was not a kids club, is was very casual, with reps coming round the pool asking who wanted to go and play tennis, or tabletennis, football, quick cricket etc. There was a wide range of ages taking part sometimes even adults too and the children had great fun and also got to make friends.
The particular entertainment reps at the resort worked extremely hard to keep everybody happy and having fun - full credit to them. The apartment was clean, modern and very spacious, great bathroom and good views of the sea. Reception check in was fast. The food was typical pool-side bar food, perfectly adequate. The resort itself (pollensa) was lovely. The taxi to the port cost 6 euros or the bus was 1.30 euros each. Once at the port all the restaurants were alongside a prom called The Pine Walk, very lovely. Also, just behind was The Square with a variety of restaurants: italian, tapas, mexican, italian, chinese, steakhouse... Lots of watersports on the beach, although very busy however if you walk along the Pine Walk the beach gets smaller and quieter.
All in all a great holiday hugely enjoyed by the family. Would recommend this hotel and would stay here again."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2007

Really good for people with kids

Good

"We (two parents and a 10 year old) got back earlier this week from a 2 week stay at Club del Sol, and we would definitely recommend it for people with kids. The hotel staff were friendly and efficient, especially the bar staff. The First Choice entertainment staff did a good job. Rooms were a decent standard and clean. The air conditioning was a real plus, but don't ask it to work miracles. The pools were good and the water temperature was spot on, cooling but comfortable. If you want a quieter poolside experience, try the smaller pool at the back of blocks 5 and 6. The buffet dinner was fine and reasonable value for money, but we much preferred the restaurants in Puerto Pollenca. We had breakfast once - fine but nothing special. There wasn't much near the hotel - a couple of restaurants and a pebble beach. You need to get to town (5 mins car or bus, but a long walk in the heat) for restaurants (lots of them) and a nice sandy beach. The bus service can be erratic at times, but taxis aren't expensive. Car hire recommended, even if only so you can do the mountain drive from Pollenca to the monastery at Lluc and over to Soller. Club del Sol is what you want if you have kids, and we'll stay there again. If you don't have children, maybe somewhere else would be better for you."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of August 2007

Not as good as expected

"We have just got back from a weeks stay in Club Del Sol. I was quite disappointed and I have to say I agree with a previous comment regarding the 4 star status. Having stayed in various 4 star hotels this is more 3 star. We where on the ground floor which meant that the only entrance was through the patio doors and unfortunately I had to join the rest in getting up early to put out the towels (which woke my daughter and so made her grumpy every morning!) to get a decent sunbed. Sunbeds that I have to say are the most uncomfortable I have ever been on. Make sure you take an airbed, it makes a whole lot of difference. The entertainment staff try really really hard, and for us who dont really do bingo, I now have a change of heart. The outside shows that we saw where good, especially the mad comic "Gutbucket"! Kids are still singing his funny songs :o), Hotel snack bar round the pool was ok and good value for money. Restaurant was not as good. Went in once with the free meal voucher but didnt return. Tried Jules Restaurant next door. Had breakfast which was great and good value for money, tried a take away lunch which was again good and had evening meal there which again was OK but had to send back a very undercooked burger of my daughters although it didnt put us off going back. Took the bus into town and taxi back. Walked once (about 30 mins) but not a good road in the dark as no footpaths but a cycle lane. All said, it depends what you are used to. There is plenty of room for improvement, and if you are not going just for the star rating. Self catering plus is worth its weight in gold, it saved us plenty of money on drinks (both soft and alchol) ice cream and excellent crisps! But I am sorry to say I won't be returning next year - The World Is A Big Place and I want to explore it :o)"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2007

Another great stay at Club Del Sol

"This was our second stay at the Club del Sol Aparthotel. We stayed for 7days in 2013 and had such a good experience that we opted for a 10 day stay this year.

The best thing about the resort is the staff - we were remembered from our previous stay and the bar and restaurant staff treated us like old friends - Rachel the Entertainment Rep remembered my name from our previous visit and that really impressed me. Another nice touch was a bottle of wine left in our apartment as a welcoming gift. Every staff member (including catering and cleaning) were friendly and smiling and this really made the holiday a success.

The resort itself is spotlessly clean (although the drains can get a bit 'whiffy' at times) with a large pool and snack bar on one side and a smaller, quitter pool and kid's paddling pool on the other. Plenty of sun loungers and enough space to sunbathe - weather was fantastic for the whole 10 days.

The restaurant was open for lunch this year - last year we had to have poolside snacks at lunchtime so this is an improvement. The food's great with a large and varied range. I'm vegetarian and had no problems with the meat-free selection (battered broccoli was a treat). The resort is very family friendly and the restaurant can get quite noisy if there's a few babies and toddlers around.

The apartment was great - Thomsons had booked the wrong kind of apartment for us (we'd asked for the same apartment block as last year) but there was no problem getting us an upgrade.

Evening 'entertainment' was enthusiastically done. Men v Women contest was fun and a great way of getting to know other guests. There was also karaoke, a reasonably funny comedian, a parrot show where one of the parrots went on strike and a magician whose act I missed.

First Choice offered a range of activities and excursions. We enjoyed the Orange Blossom trip and the excursion to Palma cathedral and Inca.

Brilliant holiday - highly recommended"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of September 2014

Good

"The down points are: the beds are really hard, so if you value a good nights sleep this isn't the best hotel to go to. And on our last night there was people screaming and shouting till 2.00am ughh. The entertainment was crap except from Daniel ka. The magician, he was great!. The food is nice, not much for kids though. Rachel and Alex were fabby. Very good. All staff were lovely i highlight Jessica, jean and Luis Miguel.all in all it was great.i would come back."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of August 2013

Hotels near Aparthotel Club del Sol

Stayed at Aparthotel Club del Sol? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Aparthotel Club del Sol

• jbealz by jbealz

"Plenty of nice restaurants and a very good atmosphere. "

• liz w by liz w

"enjoyed walkin the pinewalk "

• kt_0102 by kt_0102

"Would'nt recommend it "

• blondienanny by blondienanny

"Don't be afraid to ask the staff or your rep about any thing. They are all so happy to help. "

• Smokeysmiler by Smokeysmiler

"The sea at the front of the pool. Beautiful. "

Aparthotel Club del Sol is also called