Great hotel for the discerning

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"I went with my wife and two children and we were delighted with this hotel. We went with the all inclusive package.
Food - Excellent. Yes, you can have pizza and chips if you want but they have such a huge variety of food on offer. Beautiful fish dishes, steaks, chicken, salads, variety of cheeses. You will find eating here a real joy.
Swimming pool and sun beds - The swimming pool is great. Decent size. I fretted before coming here about whether or not we would be able to get sunbeds. Yes, you do have a lot of Germans coming here and yes, people do reserve the sunbeds. However, there are a LOT of sunbeds and even at 7:30am you can get pretty much any bed you like. Sometimes, we forgot to reserve our beds and went to breakfast at 9:00am. We still managed to get four beds together.
Other guests - Many nationalities here. I would say 40% German, 20% English and the rest a mix of French, Spanish, Finnish, Swedish etc. We were struck by how quiet the other guests were. All families. We didn't see any loutish behaviour here. It simply isn't that kind of place - all the other guests seemed quite respectful. We realised a few days into our holiday that this was the best hotel in the area.
Warning ! The northern resort of Alcudia suffers from mosquitos. We were badly bitten the first two days that we were here and it made us quite miserable. However, we then proceeded to buy mosquito block (like a deodorant solid block) that we rubbed over our ankles and arms and we never got bitten after that. I wish the hotel had pre-warned us. We itched for nearly a week before protecting ourselves. This is the best advice I can give to you. Do not be put off coming here - just come prepared beforehand.
We wen on some day trips but, surprisingly, the best days were had just lounging by the pool, helping ourselves to the drinks (the slushy pina colada is surprisingly strong !). The beach is literally adjacent and we often left our stuff on the sunbeds and walked 2 minutes into the sea. Lovely ! We were worried that our kit might be stolen at first but we shouldn't have worried. We left sunglasses, newspapers, books etc and they were never stolen.
We really could not fault this hotel and I would consider myself a fussy, middle class person who does not like to be around loud, loutish people. You will enjoy the ambience if you are a decent family. The entertainment at night is not that great. Most nights it is resident staff just miming to stuff like Grease! but the young children will love Mr Smilie. If any of the fathers is asked to be Mr Smilie then I advise you to do it. It is great, great fun !
Trips - We went to the Pirates adventure and whilst the show really is good you do feel as if you have been "butlinised". What I mean by that is that they squah you in, give you [----] sausages, beans, chips etc and the seating arrangements make you feel that you have landed in Butlins. As I say, the show is world-class, a shame that they think you're a bunch of chavs who want nothing but to be crammed in and given junk food.
We went to Marineland but were disappointed. We have been to Seaworld in Florida so we have been spoilt. The dolphin show is world-class but there is not much else to the resort to be honest. The private beach has filthy water full of seaweed and tiny bits of what I can only describe as bark. It was the high heason being August but the crowds spoiled the day. Heaving bodies everywhere. Not good."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of August 2006

recommended

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I have recently returned from a weeks holiday with my husband at these apartments. Before going there I had emailed the hotel directly and asked for a room with a view over the beach. We stayed in block 2 and as requested had a lovely view over one of the pools and the beach and sea. The apartment was very clean and spacious.

The pool areas and gardens are very well kept. There is a main pool which is the family pool and where most of the activities took place. we spent most of our time at the quieter pool where there were fewer children. We didn't have any problems getting sunbeds at this pool even at 12 noon but we did see quite a few beds reserved with towels although they were not used all day.

Although these apartments were advertised as self catering in the brochure the majority of people here were staying on an all inclusive package. We didn't eat at all here so can't say what the food was like but breakfast for those not on all inclusive cos t 10 Euros each which is a bit steep. There are several restaurants nearby however where you can get breakfast for about 4 Euros. There didn't seem to be many English people at these apartments, they were mostly German and Spanish although that was not a problem.

The beach is lovely and one of the main reasons we chose to stay at this complex as it is situated right on the beach. It is very wide and long with soft white sand. The water was clear and warm and very shallow.

The location of the apartments is also ideal with many shops, bars and restaurants a couple of minutes walk away. Most restaurants served the same things - spaghetti bolognese, steaks, chicken and chips and we found them to be average. Two good bars to visit are Linekers and Cheers. Cheers is open until 6am and provides lots of entertainment especially for kids and also does good food. The port area is also a short walk along the beach and there you can find more bars and restaurants.

One of the best bits of our holiday was a trip to the Pirates Adventure show which we would recommend for all ages.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed this break and would recommend these apartments as a good place to stay in a central location.

Be aware that Palma airport is very strict with baggage allowance and you will be charged 7 Euros for every kilo that your party is over by."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of July 2006

Could Not Fault It !

Good
Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"This hotel was genuinely hard to fault.
We booked a taxi transfer so were at the hotel within an hour of landing at Palma - thoroughly recommended as a great start to the holiday.
From booking-in when a porter immediately took our cases to our room right through to checking out, the service and attitude of the staff was excellent. All our requests were fulfilled, maybe helped by us booking with Thomas Cook whose rep (Rachel) was invaluable when we had to cut short the holiday through family illness.
Went all-inclusive which, at the Ciudad Blanca is just that - we paid for nothing except beach sunbeds & banana-boating. Drinks were of good quality and queues were non-existent despite it being peak time.
The hotel is located right on the beach and is set in beautiful gardens. Any blemish was corrected daily by the maintenence team - Iberostar clearly take quality seriously and have a pride in the hotel. The rooms are large, well equipped and all have views - ours being on a high floor and thus having a picture-postcard view over the beach as requested.
The only comments that I would make are that the entertainment was not as good as it could have been (although dealing with 14 nationalities is tricky !), an outside bar away from the entertainment would have been a good idea, and the food, although excellent, could have become monotonous if we'd stayed a fortnight (there being only one restaurant). That said, the hotel is just a stones throw from other restaurants & night-life in Alcudia so being AI doesn't mean that you have to abandon use of your legs - plus the horse taxis depart from right outside !
Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of October 2005