We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Sol Beach House Mallorca

Calle Duque de Estremera 16 Palmanova (Mallorca), 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca Spain

Fabulous Hotel

"Just back from l week in this hotel and thought it was fabulous!! Had read some adverse reports so was a little worried, how pleased was I when I saw our lovely large room, immaculately clean and was greeted by very friendly and helpful staff. The food was amazing, very good quality and a superb selection, some of it was individually cooked for you at your request. This is truly a 4 star hotel and I would visit anytime. We were lucky and had sunny weather, but the hotel was so perfect that we would have still enjoyed our holiday. This is truly a wonderful hotel and we have stayed in others in Palma Nova which come a very poor 2nd to Sol Cala Blanca"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2006

Only its location saves this hotel

"I booked this hotel as I wanted a hotel which was on a good beach and central for visiting Palma and the west coast.

The beach location is the only thing that saves this hotel from being rated a 3 star at best which is large, clean and has all the facilities and sports that you would expect from a public beach.

On entering the reception the smell of damp hits you and the furnishings are dark, dated and depressing and the staff look as depressed as the furnishings. The bedrooms are very spacious and clean but again so dated and are in desperate need of a paint job or a total make over. The balcony glass was filthy and our room on the 3rd floor facing the sea was over the roof of the dinning room which was covered in rubbish and was visited by stray cats! how they got on the roof is a mystery, very odd.

The dining room air conditioning was not working and the waiters look harassed and were sweating profusely. Food was plentiful and was ok most evenings.

The terrace around the pool was adequate but the plastic chairs, tables and shades need replacing as they were old and tatty.

Evening entertainment was `interesting` and maybe a bit desperate.

All in all not what I expected from a 4 star hotel. It’s a shame that a minibar, an old air-conditioning system and a beach location allows it to be rated so highly.

I understand that loads of `mature` clients visit this hotel in the winter months but surely even they would prefer to stay at a hotel that doesn’t resemble an old people’s home.

Sol Hotels should really invest some money into this hotel and capitalise on its great beach and central location.

Ill return when it’s had a face lift."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of August 2005

Very Pleasant

Good

"The staff were all really helpful. The food for breakfast and dinner catered for all tastes and really couldnt be faultered. We didnt spend every night eating in the hotel as we liked to explore the surrounding areas, but when we did eat at the hotel we ate far too much!!

We upgraded our hotel room on arrival to sea view, which was lovely. The room was extremely clean and comfortable. Only problem we had was that the TV did not have any english music channels!!

The swimming pool is small but the hotel is right on the beach. For a small fee we paid for the use of the sun loungers and umbrella on the beach. The beach and the sea is extremely clean.

We were two twenty- four year old girls on holiday on our own. We thought its very much a family hotel. The location is great for a hotel on the beach and is only a short taxi ride to visit Palma and the Port."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of August 2005

superb sol cala blanca

Good

"Myself and my family have just returned from a fantastic week at the Sol Cala Blanca. The rooms are spotless and well sized the hotel staff are always helpful,friendly and up for a laugh. The hotels location right on the beautiful white sands of palma nova make this a must choice for any holiday and any age of holiday traveller. we will definately be returning."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of July 2005

Thanks Sol Cala Blanca

"We have recently returned from a 10 day stay at the Hotel Sol Cala Blanca in Palmanova,and have nothing but praise for this excellent hotel.
Although there was a bit of a mix up at first with the room, this was quickly resolved to our satisfaction by the efficient and friendly reception staff.
We found all of the hotel staff to be polite, courteous and friendly without exception.
The quality and range of food on offer was remarkable,and the dining room was, like the rest of the hotel, spotless.
The "mini bar"in the room was a bit of an affront and far too expensive,but we just ignored it and would have preferred an empty fridge.
The thing that really made this hotel stand out for us was the fact that the hotel manager was seen every day, either in the restaurant dining with guests, or in reception, or generally about keeping an eye on things. How professional is that?
In conclusion.....an excellent hotel and resort, if you haven't been, go."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of July 2005

Supercalafrajalisticsuper Cala Blanca

"We Loved this hotel, situated right in the centre of Palma Nova and right on the beach. Everything was excellent from the room sizes to the superb food and the wonderfully friendly staff. We arrived and were given a room at the front of the hotel with a palm tree right in front of our balcony, it was Mosquito heaven and our babies hell,(he was eaten alive on the first night). We asked if we could be moved and pay extra for a sea view room, where there was less trees and hopefully less mosquitos, we paid the extra and were given new rooms the next day, no more mosquito problems. The reception staff were excellent and very understanding in assisting us. I would recommend paying extra for a sea view room and a higher floor if possible.

We would definately recommend this hotel, it is ideal for more relaxed family holiday with good adult entertainment, we are arranging a return trip already.."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of June 2005

Excellent hotel

"This was my fifth time staying at this hotel, almost everything is oerfect but the evening entertainment still seems to let them down. The staff (especially the bar staff) are brilliant and nothing is too much trouble. I especially liked Rubio and Gwilliam who were so very friendly and good fun. I would also praise the reception staff for their patience.I will return year after year."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2005

Glad we picked the Sol Cala Blanca

"We picked this hotel to Celebrate our 25th wedding Anniversary, after reading good reviews about it on this travel site. We were not dissapointed nice and clean, very helpfull staff, good food, good location for beach, shops,bars,bus stops. We liked so much we are going back same time next year. Highly reccomend this hotel if you are going to Palma Nova."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of May 2005

Deteriation since 2004

"We stayed here i n January 2004, we were so impressed we stayed for 4 weeks in January 2005, what a difference.
No longer spotlessly clean, food was of a poor,cheap quality,a great dissapointment."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of February 2005

not my cup of tea

"Although we love the view, and location i have to say that i would not go back, it is ok (if your over 60yrs) we werent told that on booking. The decor was like that of a posh old folks home! but we made the most of it....maybe go back when i retire (in 30 yrs time)!!!!! But certainly not before."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of January 2005

Daylight Robbery and Nightime Too...

"OK objective ratings first:

Hotel Cala Blanca Beach House Palma Nova H/B 8 nights from June 23rd:
Location **** (right on the beach 10m)
Accommodation Roadside *** (fairly large room - in need of a makeover)
Food & Dining Area **** (Good ambience food above usual 3* fayre)
Poolside Area *** (not big enough - no sunbeds after 7am)
Internet Wifi * (terminals available from 1€ WiFi in room 30€ 1 week)
Bar Prices * (3.10€ for a can of pop and up from that - obviously no queues at the bar)
Hotel Security Zero Stars: Non Existent. No CCTV anywhere.

Below is a summary of the attempted robbery from our room at around 0230am on July 1st 2014 the morning we were due to leave (a more detailed account has been sent to Melia hotels and Gabriel Escarrer Chairman & CEO of Melia Hotels 10 days ago - I'm still awaiting a reply).

After hearing a door card entering the lock, my wife (who luckily is a light sleeper) woke up screaming "There's a man in the room, THERE'S A MAN IN THE ROOM". I jumped out of bed and saw (as we had left the light on by the door) a tall (1.9m) blonde man aged about 25yrs dressed in a grey T-shirt and shorts had taken 4 paces into the room. As I walked towards him, I assumed he had stumbled into the room by mistake and I said, "What's going on? Come on now, you're in the wrong room". As I walked towards him, I noticed a shorter (1.65m) dark haired girl with long hair stood in the doorway holding the door open. I then ushered out the man with an outstretched arm and he said, "I definitely think I am in the wrong room" in English - with an accent possibly Northern/Eastern European (not a native English speaker and not a Spanish/Mallorcan accent) he started acting drunk at this point and left the room without me touching him. I made sure the door was firmly closed. We then went downstairs to the reception. As we walked towards the desk, (Miguel?) on reception said my name and room 126 and looked down at the hotel guest list. I said yes. He then said "A couple came in and said they had lost their key and gave your name and it's room 126, this happens sometimes". I said, "How did they know my name and room number?". He said it is "just a coincidence and a mistake", he seemed unconcerned at this point, so I said, "We will take this up with the hotel manager when he arrives at 9am". About 1hr later, my wife went down to speak with the night receptionist. He was by this time getting quite agitated, and in front of guests (who asked my wife if she was OK) he raised his voice to her, saying, "You are not harmed, it is just a mistake - think about my reputation". At this point he confirmed the couple he had given a copy of our room key to "Are not guests at this hotel", although he said to my wife, "They were English - it happens sometimes, they forget their keys".

Questions that need to be answered:

1. Why is the night receptionist handing out copies of guests room keys to people walking in off the street with no identification. They should be made to wait until daylight when a member of staff/security can escort them to the room and confirm they are legitimate guests. When we arrived at the Sol Cala Blanca, we needed passports and a hotel reservation.

2. How did a couple walking in off the street (according to the night receptionist) know my name and room number. I can only assume this is an "inside job" and your staff are selling guests' personal information to outsiders (professional thieves?) to earn extra income. Are your paying guests aware of this?

3. Are your paying guests being made aware that their safety and lives are being compromised by the policies of the hotel?

4. Where is the CCTV footage of the couple entering the hotel at approximately 0230hrs on July 1st?

5. When the room is locked from the inside, why does the key card override it - and unlock the door?

6. Why were the Police not called immediately by the hotel receptionist?

7. I have just done a quick check (0400hrs) of the hotel reception/bar areas/room corridors and there are NO CCTV cameras anywhere. Easy target for criminals - as there is no evidence against crimes being committed.

8. 0850hrs (10 minutes before our taxi is due to arrive). The hotel manager Sebastian Darder arrives. He had already been made aware of the incident. Very nice of him to "rush" into work I thought - to comfort his guests who have been up all night. After some handshaking and back slapping and much apologizing by Sebastian, I asked him about security at the hotel, specifically, the "lack of CCTV". He said "It is because some men want a room without their wives knowing about it and they don't want their images capturing!". He declined when I asked did I need to pay for the room last night as we spent all night chasing robbers from the room and arguing with staff as, "He was not in charge of the money at the hotel", but what he could do, was "When we return next year, we can have a Sea-View room at no extra cost". Although how this can be authorized by Sebastian when, "He is not in charge of the money at the hotel", I'm not quite sure.

9. 0900hrs. At this point, our taxi arrived and I settled the bill for the full 8 nights.

Crimes can be committed against guests here and there will be NO evidence that it ever happened. I will NOT be taking up the hotels' offer of a free sea-view upgrade as there will be no next time. If you are traveling here DO NOT leave anything of any value in the room and try not to get a room near stairwell/lift. DO NOT leave your hotel guest card detailing your name and length of stay on view in the room and hide your passports."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of July 2014

wonderful surprise

"just returned from a weeks stay in the cala blanca,never to sure what to expect on arrival, but what a wonderful surprise large airy rooms,great food,lovely friendly staff & great location, cant wait to return."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of September 2010

Hotels near Sol Beach House Mallorca

Stayed at Sol Beach House Mallorca? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sol Beach House Mallorca

• belly99 by belly99

"Don't leave ANY valuables on view in the room "

• J Alistair by J Alistair

"Great for a beach or golf holiday. "

• J Alistair by J Alistair

"First time we have had all our meals in the Hotel "

Sol Beach House Mallorca is also called