lovely 10 days

Reviewed Wed 2nd of June 2010

"Perfect setting right across from the beach. Quiet hotel which suited us. All staff friendly, room basic but fine, beds a bit hard!!! Food was good quality and plenty of choice, but being a vegetarian there was no choice, but used to that!!! A bit lacking in entertainment but what they had was very good. 10 mins walk to Magaluf for a change of scenery. Palma Nova is a lovely place with plenty of places to eat and have a drink and plenty of shops selling tack...... If you like a walk after tea, its perfect. Weather fantastic and will definately return. "

• Travel date: Tue 1st of June 2010

Fantastico

Reviewed Tue 6th of April 2010

"Dont listen to anyone who says this hotel isnt good. I have stayed here 4 times with my family youngest aged 10. It is a brilliant location with lots of lovely restaurants and bars and across the road from the glorious beaches. The food is excellent, with the most variety we have ever witnessed on half board holidays, even after two weeks were never bored with the food, unlike another hotel (Samos) we stayed in in september, the food was inedible, tinned everything - at the Tropico everything is fresh and lovely. My daughter loved all the food and she is a picky eater. Nightlife in magga is excellent, when we go on our own we visit bar Lush, Red Lion, Chaplins etc. bars in Palma Nova are a bit more quieter but the Stadium is best place to go where they have brilliant tribute acts, and offers on drinks, atmosphere is great. Go tropico and enjoy, we have never had a bad holiday there, rooms are slightly on small side but we have always managed ok. Pool is not massive but the beach is just across the road, can never understand people who go on holiday and sit around a pool for their entire holiday !! may as well go to Blackpool lol. Happy Holidays. O yeah we are booked in here for July - 25th Wedd Anni just me and hubby cant wait - Magaluf strip here we come !!!"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of April 2010

Fab-u-lous holiday!!!

Reviewed Thu 17th of September 2009

"Just got back from the Tropico Playa.We had a fabulous time, we being Myself, my partner and two children aged 4 and 8.The hotel itself is in an excellant position, literally a stones throw from the beach and the resort is beautiful and had everything we needed.The beach is clean and the sea was so warm.The staff in the hotel were the BEST!Marina on reception is always very friendly and helpful,Angel in the restaurant is hilarious and made us laugh on a daily basis,Gail at poolside bar is a fantastic person and a great laugh with kids and adults alike.Last but by no means least are Julia and Jose who are the most wonderful people!My kids (and me and my partner) adored them.They really helped to make our holiday complete.We made so many new friends over the two weeks that we stayed Jose and Julia included.The food was lovely with plenty of choice and all the staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpfull.We had some fabulous days out, a trip to Marineland is a must!We also went to the Western Waterpark which is a fantastic day out with some fab shows.Had to look away from the wheel of death cos my heart was in my mouth and the divers in that show are just fantastic and really funny too.The weather was glorious.We were there two weeks and only had two days which werent blazing sunshine.North and South bar is a fab place to take the kids as you can sit and have a drink which are quite reasonable while the kids play with the many toys and on the bouncy castle provided.Also Koompas is a very friendly place to eat and drink and again this is quite reasonable and Sid is great too.Another must visit is the Tropico cocktail bar next to the Tropico hotel.The staff there are ace and as for the cocktails, what can i say? I tried so many and they were all georgoeus and reasonably priced.If you would like to take something special home i would highly reccommend the man on the corner down across from Banana Joes who makes moulds of your hands and turns them into beautiful plaster ornaments and also on the way back up on the beach side of the road a lady creates beautiful laser images inside glass so you can have yourself or your kids photographed and put inside.They are sooooo beautiful.Would so love to go back again as we had such a wonderful time."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of September 2009

Location Location Location!

Reviewed Fri 28th of August 2009

"Just back from a 2 week break at this hotel. Was dubious having read the internet reviews but was very pleasantly surprised. Hotel in the most excellent location imaginable with the glorious beach just across the road and an aray of shops and bars all around. Lots to do including The Pirate Show, Marineland, Western Water Park and The House of Katmandu! All great trips and well worth the money. Went with my husband and 2 kids aged 9 and 7 and they all loved it! I have deducted 2 points from the 'perfect 10' - 1 for the food as it is fine but lacked variety some nights and another point for the pool which is quite small and very deep for small children. Staff go out of their way to be friendly especially the young receiptionist. Do not be tempted to buy tickets for your days out from the Thompsons Rep at the hotel as they sell them advising they are cheaper than the door prices and yet when you arrive they are not!! One other small point is that there are 2 Spars very close to the hotel. When you come out of the front door, one is to your left and the other your right. Be sure to use the one on the right as it is a lot cheaper than the other one (next to Kompas!) Very enjoyable and would go back to this hotel again!"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of August 2009

There are plenty of great hotels in Palma Nova, Sadly this isn't one of them.

Reviewed Fri 28th of August 2009

"Quick summary

Pros: Location, clean.

Cons: Noisy, small, terrible food, poor daytime activities, over priced, awful nights sleep

I have just got home from a wonderful holiday in Palma Nova - Majorca, and thought I would share my thoughts on the Tropico Playa Hotel that we were very unfortunate to have had to spend 2 whole weeks in.

Before booking I read through alot of reviews, some bad some good, and as it was the most affordable hotel we could find in this perfect location we took the gamble and booked a 14 night stay, which actually turned out to be 13 nights (long story short, do not book into this hotel via night flights as you will be waiting around for at least 12 hours with no room on your final day which is completely unacceptable and incredibly inconvenient).

When we arrived our first impressions were that it all looked OK, the place was pretty clean and tidy and it all looked pleasent enough for a 3 star hotel so we were looking forward to staying here. We got escorted to our room which was apparently a quiet room as requested upon booking by myself, along side a double bed. We opened the door and the room was clean and tidy, with a double bed and a decent size bathroom. All was quiet at this point so we laid down to get a couple of hours sleep before starting the next day.

When we woke we went down for breakfast, the room was small and cramped, the staff were all over the place and the food was abysmal, It was not a good start. We were very disappointed with the breakfast but kept our chins up and fingers crossed that the tea would be better. Sadly it wasn't, the vegetarian selection was as minimal as a micro bikini and the rest of the food was well below what you would expect from a 3 star hotel. The fruit was old and disgusting, the puddings were all 'jellyfied' and the soup tasted like some kind of sewerage. The food scored a mesely 3 out of 10 for us.

On to the Pool area, it's way too small, full of children and about enough sunbeds for only a small fraction of the people. You were shaded by huge tree's and the kids pool was more like an oversized, ankle deep bath tub. There was a pool table, shabby table tennis table, dart board, a couple of old arcade games and a daily game of water polo in the 'way too small' pool, really poor day time activites. The snacks, drinks and ice cream bar prices were extortionate and weren't worth half of what you'd pay for them so stay clear of that and nip next door to a small store that sells everything virtually half the price.
The pool area scores a 4 out of 10.

Now onto the noise issues we had. I requested a quiet room and apparently we were given one, which was unquestionably one of the noisiest rooms in the hotel. They situated us in a room which was away from the front road and any noise from the bars etc, which was fine. What they didnt take into consideration was the fact that there was a TV playing on full blast till 1 am every morning right beneath our room where the kids were dumped and would all gather to play until there parents came back from their late night out. The noise was unbearable so we asked nicely to be moved rooms (3 times) and they were incredibly unprofessional and no help at all. We ended up staying in the room the whole 2 weeks due to the staff not co operating and a very poor manager patronising me like there was no noise in that room. Another problem with noise was the stairs weren't sectioned from the rooms so you could hear every flip flop going up and down and every door from the top floor to the bottom floor slamming shut. They had to be slammed or they didnt shut, and to top it off you could even hear your neighbours whispering, the walls were about as soundproof as a board of ply wood. A good nights rest was out of the picture for us on this holiday. Not all rooms were noisy as some people we spoke to said they were dead quiet, others said it was unbearable however, which is how we also felt. Our rep was very unhelpful through out the holiday too.

If it wasn't for the wonderful location of this hotel the place would fail miserably, it's a shame really because we still had a wonderful holiday, we made the most of how good the area was and stayed out of the hotel as much as we could. There are some fantastic hotels in this area but unfortunately this isn't one of them.

On a whole the holiday itself was amazing, but the hotel was unacceptable and I strongly reccomend looking into it as much as you can before booking. It attracts alot of groups of young people going to the BCM and how it has a 3 star rating I will never know. It definitely needs to be reviewed again, 2 stars would be more appropriate. I wont be booking at this hotel again, but will be sure to vstay in palma nova again in the near future as it is a lovely place with plenty to do and excellent weather.

P.S the beds are very uncomfortable.

• Travel date: Wed 26th of August 2009

Absolutely fine

Reviewed Mon 17th of August 2009

"I google earthed this hotel and the 'real thing' was no disappointment location wise. Palma Nova itself is a pretty and busy bay with plenty to watch if you don't want to be in the sea all the time.
I didn't pay an arm and a leg for this holiday so 3* rating didn't create an expectation beyond the cost. I was more than pleased that I'd read previous reviews and worked out that a room away from the lift was a must. I emailed a few weeks prior to departure and sure enough, I had a room furthest away from the lift, on the fifth floor and with a sea view. The rooms are as shown, basic but absolutely fine. The only thing I'd recommend if you're going to stay there is to take a pillow. I mean it, take a pillow!!!!!
We breakfasted early and dined early so never had a problem with queuing to get a seat as later diners had. The hotel cater very much for English visitors so there's full fried breakfast every day. I totally disagree with a couple of other recent reviews I've read, that the breakfast menu is boring. There's cereal, loads of fruit in different combinations, yoghurts, dried fruits, pastries, and sweet biscuits. Lots of fruit juices to choose from and coffee and tea. I'm not convinced there's much else they could offer. Be aware that bacon and eggs don't taste quite like we have them in England but that's not a criticism.
Dinner had at least three main choices plus salads, which i made the most of. There was masses of it and you could stuff yourself silly if you wanted to. One gripe I have, which is nothing to do with the hotel, is the inappropriate dress by some guests. Blokes with bums and tums hanging out of their shorts does not make for pretty viewing while dining. And ladies, please cover yourselves up and save the fashion shows for the beach.
I found the pool absolutely fine and the sun went round it all day. There are loads of sunbeds but I think the hotel managers have given up on their notice that towels on sun beds will be removed if people aren't sitting on them. Lots of 'lounger saving' going on but this doesn't stop you having a good time.
Gail in the little cafe next to the pool, is a mad woman for cleanliness and you're never going to get a tummy bug if she's cooking a snack. Beware the prices though, they are very high but no more than you'd pay at any other hotel cafe.
This place is for the family and the entertainment at night for the kids starts at 7.30ish and it's great. They love it. The 'proper' entertainment seems to start at 10.30ish but I didn't stay for that so can't comment.
There's internet access for those that want it, and Sky telly on all the time for kids, soap addicts and sports fans alike.
Jenny the Thomson rep is great and really down to earth. She's helpful and friendly to everyone.
A real cross section of people were there while I was there. Tats and piercings were common, kids all over the place, couples, teenagers, and oldies (like me). If you're happy with a mixture and haven't got your nose in the air, then you'll be comfortable here.
I want to answer every negative thing that people have recently written but that would take all day so I won't bore you with them. If you've booked a cheap holiday at this hotel, then you'll get value for money. If you're expecting the best 3* hotel on the island, you're going to be disappointed.
Have fun.......... "

• Travel date: Sun 16th of August 2009

Fantastic

Reviewed Fri 7th of August 2009

"This hotel is one in a million it may be small but its still great i went with my grandparents i met some fab people the staff are great especially gail.
The hotel is nicely situated only a minutes walk from beach. Magaluf is only a 10-15 minute walk. The pool may be small but its a nice tempreture and deep. I stayed in room 419 our veiw was over looking most of Palma. Only down side was noisey niaghbours but there only on holiday havning fun just like us. I loved the breakfasts i liked the dinners but i wasnt too keen on them.
I will definatly be staying at the tropico again.!!!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of August 2009

Very nice

Reviewed Fri 31st of July 2009

"I was part of a group of girls who stayed in tropico playa and really enjoyed it. We were looking for partying in the magalluf strip but liked the fact the hotel was about 10-15 min walk away from it. Loved the location as the beach is just across the road with nice little cafes and restaurants along the beach. Lots of activities on the beach aswell such as paragliding, peddlos and banana boats. Hotel caters very much for families and has great daytime and evening entertainment for kids, although the organiser did arrange all the teenagers there to have a quick game of water polo which was nice. Staff were great both in reception and the dining room as we werent the easiest of guests as we kept forgetting our key. You can walk in at any time of the morning as long as you dont make a lot of noise which is fair. Overall the holiday was a great first girls holiday. If your looking for non stop partying i would stay in the fiesta jungla but if you want some peace when you get in definately stay here."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of July 2009

Hotel Tropico Playa

Reviewed Tue 21st of July 2009

"Not long come back fom a weeks stay in the Tropico Playa. Had a fab time and will definately go back. Rooms were big enough and cleaned every day. We had a beautiful sea view that you would normally have to pay a supplement for. Food was excellent, always plenty of choice and the most beautiful salad bar.All the staff in the dining room were very friendly. The reception staff were also very friendly and helpful. Hotel is situated just across the road from the beach with lots of bars and restuarants near by. We only went to the pool once as people were tending to put towels on loungers early (although there is a sign asking you not to) and the pool was very deep. This wasn't a big problem for us as we love the beach and the loungers and umbrella were only 10 euros 50 for all day.Entertainment most nights in hotel.Kids entertainer was good too. Went to Stadium bar to see westlife tribute band.Shows were good but drinks VERY expensive and show does not start at 10.30 as lady on door tells you. More like 11.30!!!!!!!!!!!!Caan't wait to go there again."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of July 2009

Kel,Beth,Jan & Jo Palma Nova July 09.

Reviewed Tue 21st of July 2009

"Just returned from the Tropico Playa & it was great! Went last year & was just a good this year. Pool is small but the beach is only across the road so doesn,t relly matter. Mini golf is right next door & is fun to play. I, rubbish at mini golf but I really enjoyed it. The Tropico cafe/restaurant next door is lovely with very friendly staff. Food in the hotel is good, always alot of choice. Something for everyone. Staff are friendly & helpful. The Tropico Playa is in a great location near lots of shops & bars. Magaluf is only a 15 minute walk away too. Thare is also a bus to nearby Santa Ponsa & Pama. Thare,s so much to do you can never be bored. Thare is entertainment in the hotel every night except for Saturdays. Overall it is a great hotel to stay in & Palma Nova is a great resort to stay in. "

• Travel date: Mon 20th of July 2009

hotel tropico playa

Reviewed Tue 23rd of June 2009

"hotels ok but dated location fine if you get a pool view or a sea view

nothing works though

lift broke twice no computer for kids the guy installed it a week ago and never came back to turn it on

public phone dosent work most days

half the games have faults

the pool table is older than hitler and i think its seen a few wars

staff are great though and foods ok on some days

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of June 2009

nice hotel

Reviewed Tue 26th of May 2009

"Hi just back from this hotel.Hotel has a great location staight across from the beach.The food was good and alot to choose from .Dinner room is not very big for the size of the hotel and the same as the pool.We were in room 310 which is great if you want to sit out in the balcony and watch everybody go buy.Location is good for people with walking difficuties as it is all flat outside the hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of May 2009