Universal Hotel Florida

Calle Torrenova 33, 07181 Magaluf, Calvia, Majorca Spain

Amazing Hotel, Great Value for Money

Good

"This hotel was above and beyond our expectations! 6 people travelling, we had two rooms with three people in each, half board, for cheaper than we could find any self catering apartments in Magaluf! Therefore, we were a bit apprehensive, especially due to the tiny picture in the brochure and some not so great reviews.

However, the hotel was brilliant! We were in the second block (also known as the 'English block', but we did have some Spanish people on our floor!) with amazing views, right on the sea front! The room was clean, could get a bit claustrophobic with three, but it wasn't really a problem for a week! Had no faults with the room, bathroom was so clean and tidy, shower was amazing for once, very powerful and hot!

Food was brilliant, always so much to try, had a week of breakfasts and dinners and still didn't try everything I wanted to!! Always fruit and fresh bread available with everything! However, if you expect chicken and chips everyday you'll be disappointed, but we loved trying all the different food!

There were a lot of different nationalities here, which made it much more fun than just having a hotel full of British people! The security guard did keep a bit more of an eye on us, but I think that's just because we were younger than most of the guests!

All in all it was a brilliant hotel, with amazing value for money!"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of September 2007

crap hotel!!

"we came here to have a great time, brocher looked great but when we arrived here we were VERY dissapointed! the room was very cramped, no room to get to wardrobe or dressing table! there was no were to store your empty suitcase! Bearing in mind their was 3 of us sharing this very small room! Bathroom was very dirty, bath was slimey and never cleaned!! hairdryer in bathroom did not work so we had to share one we brought between three! we also had a ant farm living in our bathroom which gave us even more less room!! Floor was always mopped but never brushed so always dirty. As for the staff some were very abrupt! ( bar staff, reception and security!!!) We spent the whole week being follwed by security so if you want to have a fun holiday do not spend it hear!! we got accused of balcony jumping, throwing fire extinguishers,setting alarm off, breaking lift ohh and screaming in corridors!! we are not ten!! also if you come in 2 groups and need seperate rooms dont expect to be allowed in each others room or same floor!!! when we brought this matter up we filled out a complaint form and got accused of lieing from the manager!! we do not recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to have a good time or meeting new people because thats not allowed!!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of August 2007

Very good value for money, great view!

Good

"Hotel divided into 3 blocks, main building and 2 other bulidings where the younger english had been rounded up into.

i happen to be young and it is also that i am english who happened to stay in this part, in the lower block, where the view was perfect, very low amount of noise if any, that only being at 4/5am from next door!

The rooms were good: bed, balcony, fan, bathroom, the general items located within the average hotel room. tv also, but the english channels appeared to disappear after 8pm, something to do with the cost of the satellite at that time, beyond me lol.

great view, looked right down onto the coast, the noise of the waves crashing against rocks were so relaxing!

staff were generally good, one receptionist thought i was asking for my key, where infact i was discussing my friends lost phone

food was good to be honest, generally included pizza mmm, some arrangement of pasta, some meaty fishy cake things and carrots.
dessert wasn't all that, melons were nice and juicy as always though.

a lot of lifts within the hotel, some were touch and go, they service them every 2 years and there was a 3/4 month gap between the current service and the previous. sometimes they didn't work, but it's good to take the stairs.

the hill isn't as bad as people say it is, it is a bit steep but takes 4 days to get used to, and even less when drunk.

nice to be out the way of all the main attractions where its peaceful.

overall, very good value for money half board, 2 weeks, 2 sharin 1 room, just over £400!"

• Travel date: Tue 7th of August 2007

Great Hotel, Loved it!!!!

"Have just got back from this hotel last Saturday after a week of very hot sunny weather and felt that I should leave my thoughts for others to read. This hotel is about half an hour’s transfer from the airport but the time goes quickly. The hotel is on top of a hill and has great views of the sea and the beach, if you have a sea view room that is. We (3 lads) stayed on a half board basis, meaning we could eat breakfast if we were up, (only made it a couple of times) but the was food was good, hot, fresh and had various choices. The evening meal was also a buffet style again with various foods for even the fussiest of eaters, like myself. (A different hot meal every night plus salad and fruit) With regards to the rooms, ours was spot on, great sea view, nice and clean (maid called in every day to make beds etc) and the room had double-glazing through out. Swimming pool is fresh water and is clean. The staff were very friendly and keen to help plus other holidaymakers very friendly. Over all, I'm very pleased with the service and the quality of this hotel and feel that it’s good value for money. Would recommend!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 6th of August 2007

Very Disappointing

"Payed a lot of money to book this hotel and expected it to be a memorable stay. It's the third time we've been to Magaluf and this was by far, the worst hotel we've stopped in.

The hotel is basically divided into three blocks. All the young, mostly British people are packed into the two furthest blocks from the main hotel itself. Left to run riot and make all the noise they want to. At night, there's a single security guard but as the phone in our room wasn't working, we would have had to traipse all the way up to the main hotel to complain.

There were three of us in a tiny room, designed for two people, even though we'd paid nearly £1400 for the entire trip.

The food was pretty awful. Not much choice at all. I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you like grated carrot and squid. Aside from that, every night is like a lottery as to what to expect.

The maid came round at 9.30am each morning and considering we were out until 4am, we asked her to come back. She never did. Our room was cleaned once over the course of a week.

We had a great holiday and I really wanted to like this hotel. If you're looking for good food, a comfortable room and people not screaming all night, every night, I'd consider staying somewhere else."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Hen party perfection

"Just arrived back from a 3 day stay in the Florida for a friends hen do. We spent a lot of time looking at hotels as we wanted it to bre right and the Florida didn't let us down.

For what we paid the rooms were nice, clean and had the single most amazin views i have ever had on this sort of holiday. The staff were helpful, the whole hotel was clean and the pool area was lovely, looking over the cliff right onto the glorious sea and across to the Magaluf main beach. With direct access to the sea (granted via some calf-killing steps!) the location was perfect too.

"heart -attack hill" was a killer, especially as we decided to walk up it with all our cases and luggage in the midday heat. However, it does get easier i promise, especially when drunk. And combined with a daily swim against the waves, it soon helps you work off the unlimited buffet food at morning and night (not fantastic for anyone with dietry needs as everything needs to be prodded to work out what it is, but as a veggie i managed to eat pretty well every night. The custard-filled crossiants at breakfast are a must!)

All in all, the hotel can make or break a holiday, and this definitely made it. Can't wait to revisit Magaluf and will definaitgely be staying in the Hotel Florida."

Amazing Hotel!!

"I booked to stay at the Hotel Florida for 10 girls on my hen weekend and to be honest I was a bit wary due to the bargainous price.... when we arrived I was gobsmacked by how nice it was! The reception was large and spacious, clean and modern! The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The food was good, not to everyone’s taste and not the best for vegetarians, but overall we could not complain for the price.

I loved the pool and the steps that went straight into the sea. Pool was clean and we could generally get vacant sunbeds.

The rooms were fine; we had the most amazing view ever. I was really impressed with the showers they were lovely!

The night life generally was also brilliant, but the best thing was that if you did want to go to sleep, you couldn't hear any of the noise! Also, the hill is not that bad at all....

All in all, a great hotel, complete bargain, great views, good food, friendly and helpful staff and I will be going back next year!!!"

What a view!

"Having paid a bargain price for half board in this hotel I must admit all 10 of us (hen do!) expected it to be rough, but we were massively surprised, the rooms were lovely, we were all overlooking the sea and they were cleaned with fresh towels each day. The wardrobe space was great (with a safety deposit box) and the beds were comfortable. The pool was on a terrace also overlooking the sea and there were steps down where you could get straight in the sea, with no sand, which is great as I hate sand! Around the pool there were quite a lot of young groups, I would not say this is a child friendly hotel as such.

The restaurant was large and nice, there was tons of choice and the food was all lovely, only the desserts were a bit ropey! There is a wine list and you can get a decent bottle for 6 euro, not bad for a restaurant!

The hotel is located up a massive hill from magaluf, but it burns calories!!! It is also only a few mins from all the bars, and there are two supermarkets within a one min walk.

When we arrived one of the rooms had a broken toilet, this was fixed within the hour. So we found the staff helpful like others who have reviewed on here.

We all said we would stay here again without a shadow of a doubt!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of July 2007

Very nice hotel for the month paid would recommend -

"Just returned from a three night stay, the hotel was very clean and all of the staff were polite and helpful .... The food was good, there was always something that even the fussiest eater could have ... we stayed in the main hotel so cannot comment on the 'other' building.
The only down side was that some of the room views were awful, looking onto rubble and pipes but other than that it was good.
We had a fantastic view, 6th floor (main reception floor) with a view of the pool and sea."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of June 2007

A pleasant suprise

"For the price you pay this hotel is great. I and 14 others stopped for my stag do for 3 nights in early June.

The rooms are clean and a decent size (although get a bit cramped if you have 3 in a room).

The breakfast was ok with a decent selection. The evening meal is buffet style and there is normally something for eveyone. It's ok, but nothing flash!

The best bit about this hotel is the views, the worst is the hill you have to climb up to get to it!"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

cant wait to go back!

"My boyfriend and i went for 10 night stay half-board and we paid £680 for the two of us. It was our 1st holiday as a couple so we had very high hopes and on arrival we weren't disappointed. The hotel was pristine and believe me I'm hard to please. The staff were very welcoming especially the personal greeting you got every morning / evening when entering and leaving the restaurant. The food was faultless, everything you could imagine was there, glad i went on a strict diet before hand so i could eat to my hearts content.
Our room was cleaned 'every single day' by the time we got back from breakfast by a lovely maid called maria - Fresh bedding and towels throughout our stay, fantastic! We stayed in room 503 and not being biased but think it was the best room in the house he-he.
As we went slightly off peak we had no problem with getting sunbeds by the pool, but as lovely as the pool was we found the private sun terraces more to our luxury. especially the bottom one which gave you the option to dip in and out of the gorgeous warm inviting sea.
Ok so this hill.. yeah its a bit steep but after your 1st attempt you'll become a natural. i managed the hill in 4 inch heels so its not that bad! other alternative you can always catch a cheap as chips taxi - problem solved!
We were very impressed with the hotel's location right in the centre but out of the lime light at the same time if you know what i mean. The beach is just minutes away and what a lush beach it was. we spent the majority of our days catching the endless rays there- higher a pedalo too it's great fun.
All in all an outstanding place to stay and don't listen to any negative reviews take my word for it we cant wait to go back .

• Travel date: Thu 17th of September 2009

enjoyable hotel

Good

"I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend for 2weeks in June 09 and we had a fantastic, night. The hotel is at the top of a hill which many people are slating, but the balcony view is absolutely incredible and worth climbing the hill twice a day for!
The breakfast buffet was enjoyable and had a good selection. Evening meals were a bit of a hit or a miss. They are all very well prepared and presented but not to everyones tastes. Fresh salad, pastsa and tomatoe sauces were available every night though so... never went hungry! Deserts were pretty good too.
The rooms are spacious, well-kept and comfortable. The maid's speak absolutely no english whatsoever, which was at times challenging. But at the end of the day it is spain, so the fact she doesnt speak english isnt a big deal really.
The reception staff are polite but didnt really seem enthusiastic about answering queries etc. Most speak fluent english and spainish which was good aswell.
I woke up one night because of a loud group of people coming in, i think they should have been told to shoosht because it went on for a good hour but they wern't, which was slightly disapointing.
Senior fernandez greets you every breakfast and dinner and he's lovely!
Don't buy anything from the bar by the pool, its extortionate. Sweets in magaluf are really overpriced aswell so bring lots! I would definetly go back to this hotel :)"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of September 2009

Hotels near Universal Hotel Florida

Stayed at Universal Hotel Florida? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Universal Hotel Florida

• Miss_L by Miss_L

"Dont walk about on your own at night "

• Miss_L by Miss_L

"Bus to palma, rent quadbikes and bananas is the best club! "

Universal Hotel Florida is also called