Sol Wave House Hotel
28 Traveller reviews from Holiday Watchdog
Overall a great holiday
"We have just returned from a 10 nights stay here. When we arrived the hotel looked lovely but the room was something else. It was dreadful - terrace that practically opened out onto the main street, no sea view (the room certainly didnât "face the sea" as described in the brochure) it hadn't been cleaned - the room smelt of cheesy feet, the floor was covered in sand, coco pops everywhere, rubbish under the bed and other rubbish in the bed side drawer. The towels in the bathroom were disgusting and what can only be described as excrement was on them. We complained in reception and asked to be moved - which was fine but we had to spend as restless a night in our first room. The people on reception are very polite and speak good English.
Once moved to a lovely studio room with fab sea views it was much better. Room was clean and tidy, if a little small and dated. The kitchen lacked equipment - only basic utensils are provided and it seemed that if someone had previously broken/lost something, it wouldnât be replaced. Cleaners are a pain - extremely rude (shouting down the corridors to each other at 8:30am) they donât have specific cleaning times so either come at 8:30am or later in the day - never a "normal" time.
Even though the hotel is in a fab position for bars, the noise was minimal - apart from around 5am when everyone tended to come back. The pools are lovely and have a lifeguard, although not sure what use he is as he had a broken arm in a pot when we were there! The sun loungers are ok - charged at 2 Euros but at least you donât have to get down early for one.
We found that if you left the hotel and went to the left - this was more suitable for families - anything to the right of the hotel was more aimed for nightlife lovers. There is a lack of Spanish restaurants, everything seemed to be very British. We ate a Tom Browns and Happy House most of the time, the food here is good - not amazing but nice. Make sure you to Happy House for a yummy English breakfast! The beach is lovely, really clean and so is the sea. There is allsorts of water sports available too.
A word of warning to guys wanted to go to Magaluf on a "pulling holiday" The ratio of guys to girls was about 20:1 - there seemed to be hardly any groups of girls, all predominately male, I'd never seen so many guys! Apart from the problem with the room at the start of our holiday, we cant really grumble at the hotel. I would recommend it to family and friends as the location was spot on and the pool was lovely too. Shame there is no night entertainment - this really would make it better."
- Travel date: Wed 19th of September 2007
Not as Stated in Brochures
"First time we have stayed at the Royal Beach on friends recommendation. But be aware of the following:-
1. It is no longer owned by Iberostar, they have sold it on to HM.
so is now called HM Royal Beach.
2. Although the apartments are clean & tidy they could do with sprucing up a bit. There is no microwave or toaster, although toasters can be hired.
3. Sunbeds and brollies are charged at 2 euros each per day.
4. There is no kids club or adult entertainment,
5. Sometimes rather noisy at night as bedrooms back onto the main road.
6. The staff are very helpful, and security sort out any trouble makers.
7. Pool areas very good, the kids will love it.
8 Try Tinos across the road for an English breakfast or snack.
Otherwise try the Happy House its better than Tom Browns
9. The Pirates show is a must if you have not been before, its the best show on the Island, we have now been 6 or 7 times, and it gets better every year.
Overall a good holiday but be prepared, the Royal Beach is not what it says in some of the brochures."
- Travel date: Mon 9th of July 2007
"BRILLIANT TIME HAD BY ALL !!!!
16th June 2007 - 30th June 2007
Just arrived home from a two week stay at this hotel. 1st time in this part of Mallorca. Great Hotel, a bit dated in some parts but very clean and spacious. These are some of the slight negative points
1. The cost of sunbeds is 2 euro PER BED and 2 euro per umbrella. Family of 4 for two weeks = 140 euros !! The hotel don't own the sunbeds and this is why they are rented. 4 euro per bed on the beach. Advise EXTRA CASH !! Tolo the collection man is very good at his job, don't try sneaking the use of one for free.
2. No complaints regarding the noise from BCM etc.. you don't hear it, the hotel accross the road has a live show every night but finishes at eleven or so. Some noise from groups in the wee hours passing by the hotel but you are pretty tired from so much to do so it's not a concern. Can't hear anything in the bedroom with the window closed.
3. No aircon - no problem - ask for upper floor and leave patio slightly open.. no need for fan. Be advised the ground floor rooms by the pool can be accessed easlily from the pool area. HIRE A SAFE AND USE IT, common sense prevails here !!
4. Groups of drunken noisy lads/lassies - complain to hotel staff every time, they eventually take action.. one group caused damaged, claimed no money to pay, police called, damaged paid for there and then !!! Police very robust (good news)
5. Cooking facilities very basic - 3 rings, no oven or toaster (you can hire a toaster for 10 euros a week plus 10 euro deposit. Fridge large and works well.
6. NO KIDS CLUB whatsoever !!! Not a problem as the kids all loved the pool and beach.But this was contrary to brochure.Lots to do anyway with pool and table tennis, air hockey etc..
To be honest this hotel is first class, We went self catering and speaking to those who went h/b or dbb, we didn't miss much.
Now for the best bit... positive points
A. The hotel is right on the beach (cleaned every day), what a way to wake up and smell the coffee (speaking of which, take a mug, the wee cups supplied in the room are a nightmare to pick up with anything other than baby hands !! Oh and the kettle is not electric). Balconies all face the sea and a pretty big.
B. Recommended eating out at TOM Brown's (fantastic) and Eastenders (PalmaNova 5 min walk). Both superb and very good food with great staff. Recommend Tom Browns with the mini golf. Kids get free games and you get respite.
C. Use BIPO supermarket (5 min walk) or CAPRABO (15 min walk), they have more choice especially later. For water and other day to day stuff use the supermarkets next to hotel. Staff are friendly and helpfull
D. Eventually I twigged that it was cheeper to buy beer at the supermarkets and lie by the pool with it. Cost for beer at pool bar 2.90 euro. No objections from hotel staff as long as you use the bins.
E. Go to water park, we went to Western water park, 15 minute walk (no problem as the local buses are never on time) Use the 3 euro discount vouchers you get with arrival pack. Each voucher is for one discount so get as many as you can. Food in waterpark not up to much so take a picnic. Great park thought especially the slides and shows.
F. Try Golf Fantasia in Palma Nova - great day out - 56 holes is a lovely setting .. good for a change of pace and not just for the kids.
G. Try at outdoor shows at the square ouside the hotel (across the road) Not hard to find as loads of reps try to get you in (they wear grey promotion vests and are very good)
In summary, if the hotel just spruced up a bit it would get a 4 star rating no problem, it's a multi national hotel and every one gets on great.. some idiots but don't put up with them.. say something to hotel and they will be either chucked out or police called (the idiot I saw being delt with prefered the former ) Have fun and enjoy yourself.
One last thing buy your duty free in town, it's much better value than the airport !!"
- Travel date: Sat 30th of June 2007
Comfortable Accomodation with Stunning Sea Views
"Have just returned from the Royal Beach which is actually part of the Iberostar hotel chain. The Apartments are of a large size and all have stunning sea views. This hotel couldn't be any closer to the beach - it's right on the front. There is a huge pool and a smaller childrens pool with plenty of sunbeds although these are an additional charge of 2 euro. The food in the restaurant is typical spanish half board buffet style though no where near as good as some other 3* hotels we have stayed in... the food was indeed edible but lacked choice. We will return to this hotel again but this time on a self catering basis. One more thing.. be warned the hotel is close to BCM and a large square of bars and clubs. We booked through alpharooms.com which I always find to be the cheapest.... Enjoy.!!"
- Travel date: Tue 8th of May 2007
good location, not so good apartment
"booked with [--] as a self catering holiday 5 nights over easter. arrived easter sunday 8.4.2007. apartment spacious but in need of up grading - new bathroom and patio doors been installed, but needs new kitchen (yellow flower tiles!) -no grill nor toaster.no air conditioning.no heating on from 1st of april even though the rooms were cold. bedroom gets no sun, so very cold and bedding felt damp.apt clean and maid visit every day, but a bit drab and would not visit again. no entertainment day or night even though advertised as such on all websites offering this accomodation.met one couple from ireland who had booked all-inclusive,there was NOTHING to be had! In good location on beach, but noisy at night when revellers returned from drinking - all bedrooms face a main street. fountain bar ok for entertainment- drag act, madonna, lionel ritchie sing-a-likes etc;opposite magaluf park sol hotel -which by the way was so much more inviting and warmer than royal beach!! 2nd time stayed in magaluf, first time 25 years ago, probably won't need to go back."
- Travel date: Thu 12th of April 2007
"The reception staff were so helpful when my suitcase didn't arrive at the airport. The room was clean, spacious and quiet. The food was fabulous. The location was excellent. Would recommend!!"
- Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006
Very good value
"Very spacious apartment with good cooking facilities. Excellent food choice (cooked breakfast could have been hotter.) Nice staff who work very hard. All rooms overlook sea, which dulls some of the noise of clubbers who you can hear in the early hours. We've heard worse. Decent entertainment in the evenings, with professional shows about three times a week. Very, very clean. Lovely pool area with water feature. Right on beach, which was within easy reach. Television for hire which had bbc 1 in english (enjoyed eastenders!!!) Water sports readily available, or the Britania Jet for the less adventurous (a lovely two hour trip.) Shops on either side of hotel right outside. You couldn't go wrong for anything. One word of caution...Please, please, please take traveller's cheques. Don't be like the family checking into the hotel on 11th June who lost a handbag containing all their money in cash plus credit cards. We would love to know how they got on. We really did feel for them. Be very aware at all times. Have an excellent holiday in this lively resort, and take care...you'll be well pleased."
- Travel date: Sun 11th of June 2006
"My wife and I stayed at this hotel from the 11th to 18th May 2006.
The room was spotless and spacious. From the balcony the sea view was terriffic.D uring our short stay the linen was changed three times. The reception and the pool area were spotless. The only slight niggle was having to payfor a sun lounger at the pool. We will return to this hotel."
- Travel date: Sun 21st of May 2006
"The girls and i spent four days at the Royal beach it couldnt have been more perfect the location is ideal, couldnt be better! Its right on the beach and at the bottom of the strip!! The view is gorgeous too! The staff are very helpful and friendly i would defo reccomend it!! HAPPY DAYZ"
- Travel date: Sun 7th of May 2006
"We stayed here for 4 nights during the last week of September 2005.
* Location 30 EUR taxi ride from Palma airport
* Beach front: Beach is very nice - swimmable, plenty of sunbeds and shades (3.50 EUR/pp/day). This is a public beach so the fees make sense.
* kitchen and fridge in room
* Many bars, restaurants, shops within walking distance
* No air conditioning
* Rooms: dark and musty smells
* Food: average at best
* TV: hotel charge 1 EUR/day
* No beach / pool towels provided
* Charge a fee for use of hotel's pool sunbeds (??). We did not bother. We go to Majorca for the beach, not for the pools.
* Very noisy at night, even with all windows shut.
* Some drunken hotel guests threw up in hallway; we notified the front desk, took them 4 hours to send somebody to clean up the mess."
- Travel date: Sun 12th of February 2006
Dirty noisy pit for 16 - 20yrs gangs, steer clear !
"Food a joke Unedable ! drinks Discusting No gas for fizzy drinks etc ! No aircon in rooms or hotel bar or reception etc , No clean sheets available for beds ,Childrens pool cannot be used by children as its full of gangs of drunken youths , Stag weekends , football gangs , tours etc sunbed money man is robbing everyone hes very sggressive violent even Also cloudy not clean , Large pool very dangerous , steps loose an broken ,gangs drunk in pool drinking partying fighting all night long ! No rest whatsoever and No help from guard he was a scared joke , we just couldnt wait ti get home , we will never return to the royal beach hotel its gone to the dogs now. we love palmanova and magaluf wev been going there for 30 yrs. steer clear of h m royal beach . residents are all trying to sell and get out fast. "
- Travel date: Tue 15th of February 2011
"Words cannot describe how horrid this place is. Door on room didnt lock, no help from staff. Advised to check out, if we didnt like it! Fighting in the corridors and broken glass all over. Worst place i have ever stayed. Glad to leave."
- Travel date: Mon 24th of January 2011