Sol Guadalupe by Melia

Ctra La Porrassa S/N Calvia Beach, 07181 Magaluf, Calvia, Majorca Spain

BRILLIANT

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Loved the hotel! Went with two of my mates (all of us are 18) as we wanted a decent hotel but close to the town for our nights out. The hotel was clean and smart, very respectable, didn't expect it to be so nice considering we only paid 332 pounds for a week half board.

Loved Magaluf, totally our scene, and although our hotel was only a 10 min walk from our the club strip, it was quiet and well looked after.

All the staff were friendly, some very good looking guys were working there too which went down well with us!!!

The buffet was nice, food varied and looked good, plenty of tables and space to walk around in, so much food to choose from.

Always got sunbeds which went down well, even if we didn't traipse downstairs until midday.

The lifts were dodgy though - had to pull open the doors on one occasion and came in drunk one morning - had to get the lift in pitch darkness up to the 5th floor because the lights weren't working.

Didn't want to leave. Loved it all and will deff go back next year if we can! Loved Magaluf and am happy I went!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of September 2005

Well-kept hotel and overall nice stay!

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I stayed in the last week of July in Sol Guadalupe with my partner. This is a 3 star hotel and overall lives up to the Sol Melia standards, so it compares with some 4-star independent hotels. It was built in the 70’s but was refurbished in 2000/2001 and has 503 rooms. It is a huge hotel, so be prepared for the confusion it entails.

Hotel: the infrastructure was in a good state. The swimming pool area was small and most people reserve the sunbeds and leave, so there were few sunbeds available (obviously that is not the hotel’s fault, but the guests’ lack of manners). There was a kids swimming pool, an adult one (half of which was more than 1,70m deep), and an interior one (the water was much colder here). Personally I don’t like the games in the swimming pool, especially when very few people are participating and they become a nuisance. Also, some of the guest used floating mattresses in the main pool, thus hindering the other guests space.

Food: The dining room huge and the food very varied. I believe this was one of the best buffets I’ve had in a beach hotel. There was always a selection of 2 grilled fish and 2 grilled meats, 1 roast, 1 type of paella, 2 soups, pizza and pastas, and the rest you can expect. Given what’s on offer outside the hotel (mostly british pubs with the limited selection of food to cater for English tastes), the food there was very good. We were on full board, but each meal cost 13 euros (the same in any of the 3-star Sol Melia hotels in Magalluf), so next time we won’t buy FB in the package: it was cheaper buying each lunch separately! And on the days we weren’t there for lunch, Sol Melia hotels don’t give us the traditional “pic-nic”, because they are afraid the food will spoil. They gave us instead a 3 euro voucher to spend in drinks at the hotel (we paid a lot more than 3 euros for the meal!!). In the restaurant and in the vending machines, a 1/2l bottle of water costs 1,35 euros.

Rooms: very spacious with air conditioning and ceiling fan. You have to pay extra for the fridge and safe. The room was well maintained and quite clean. We asked for a double room, instead of a twin and the reception staff kindly accommodated our request. There was some noise during the night, but that is mostly the guests’ fault. Unfortunately there were some English and German youths staying there who were particularly noisy. We complained in the reception and they told to report the noise to them, that they would go upstairs and try to solve it.

Magalluf: a lot has been said about it in this forum. I was expecting a lot worse. Nonetheless, the beach was quiet and not very crowded, the water was warm, the weather great. Notwithstanding the excessive number of british pubs and liquor stores, it is quite nice by day! It is 30 minutes from Palma by bus. Just catch a bus near the hotel that will take you into Palma (2,6 euros per trip for an air-conditioned bus). In Palma there is the old quarter, the cathedral, El Corte Ingles and trains/ buses to the rest of the island.
But Magalluf is full of other types of holiday-goers: noisy, drunk and apparently with no manners. So try to avoid lower quality hotels and apartments.

Problem: on our last day, the Hotel disappointed us. Despite having the MAS card, at the reception they told us we could not stay in the room beyond 12 am. We only had a flight at 7 pm and the bus was picking us at 4 pm! Also, lunch was served from 1 to 3 pm. They offered all the guests in the same situation the use of a room to shower and change from 3 pm onwards and were quite strict about it. So we weren’t able to go to the beach in the last day and just hanged around the hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of August 2005

Hmmmmmmm

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Just returned from the Sol Guadalupe.

Safe hire is 15E per week (traditional key style).
Fridge hire is 30E per week.

Good points:
Room size, cleanliness and decor was very good. I would say equivilent to some 4* hotels I have stayed in. The air conditioning was fab, with both an air con unit and a ceiling fan. Got the room nice and cold.
Internet use available downstairs for 2E for 30 minutes, 3E for an hour.
Hotel near to the waterparks, took us about 10 mins to get there when we walked.
A good selection of food, but did get repetitive. I was glad I was not there for a fortnight.

Bad points:
We asked to be charged in Euros for our stay and confirmed this several times, but were charged in £s. This meant that the rate they used was loaded by 3%.
Bar staff were miserable.
Noise! I've never stayed in a hotel with such thin walls. We had to keep the air con unit on every night to try and drown out some of the noise of people walking past our door, and also put blankets around the door.
Maid service did not clean our bath during our entire week long stay. As you stand up to shower inside the bath, you can imagine the colour of it by the end of the week.
I've never stayed in a hotel where they demand payment of drinks as soon as they put them on your table (during the evening meal). Found this quite strange on our first night.
Entertainment was shockingly bad.
Lifts were very erratic.
Pool area is very small for the size of the hotel. We didn't spend a minute around the pool due to all the sun beds being taken by the time we got down there, and also due to how crammed in the beds were. Very claustrophobic.
The fact it's in Magaluf. We visited in 2002, and I can honestly say the resort has gone majorly downhill since. It's very dirty, although you see the council out in the morning trying to clear up the vomit, food, broken bottles etc from the pavements, it's still filthy. I felt that it was also expensive and there is no incentive for them to provide decent food to eat anymore, as it seems it's all drunken 17 year olds eating it anyway. Anything that I ate in Magaluf outside of my hotel was of a poor quality.
We often had to avoid eggs and wet tissue that was thrown off of hotel balconies, obviously a lot of children away on holiday without mummy and daddy for the first time!

This might be considered the best hotel in Magaluf, but then a lot of the others are 18-30s types I guess. It's definately not the best hotel in Majorca!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of August 2005

the best hotel in magaluf!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"my husband and myself stayed in the sol guadalupe with our one and a half year old daughter in june 2004 couldnt fault the accommodation or the staff;staff bent over backwards for daughter. Pool area always clean and had plenty of sunbeds;short walk to beach and nightlife would highly recommend this hotel to families and couples alike!"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of August 2005

an italian point of view

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"i stayed a week at this big hotel where i booked 2 rooms for myself , my wife and my adult daughter. The rooms were adequately sized, clean and comfortable. We asked for quiet rooms so the reception (quite efficient) gave us 2 on the opposite side of the pool where at night there was always a loud show on. We only heard noises late at night and in the early morning when a lot of drunk and merry youngsters came back to the hotel from the local discos and bars.
The food was good and the restaurant was never too crowded. There were no lines in front of the food and there was always a good selection.
The pool was very crowded and all the sun beds were always taken so i never felt like staying there for more than a minute. We preferred going to the beach which was only a 3 minutes walk away,
The reception was efficient and fast. They tried to make us pay our week's stay in advance but after i refused they gave me the rooms anyway with my credit card guarantee.
If you book independently make sure to have a mas card and always check before paying that you have been correctly awarded the points. I notice that they always give you less points than what you should have so alway ask a receipt after you pay so you can redeem them when you are back at home through their web page.
By the way ask for a low floor or you will be either waiting a long time for the elevator or doing a lot of exercise going up and down the stairs.
Have a nice stay.
andrea"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of August 2005

Number one in Magalluf - I'd hate to see the rest????

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I have just returned from a weeks stay with my husband and 8year old daughter at this hotel after deciding to book based on feedback offered on this site.
I found the overall experience to be very average for the following reasons:

We stayed on a half board basis and found the food to be of school dinner quality (pre Jamie Oliver!) very tasteless and bland. The bacon in particular deserves a special mention for being inedible.

The 'entertainment' was fine for my 8year old but I know im not the only adult who found the constant shouting and screaming from the reps throughout the day extremely annoying. Given that this is a 900 room hotel, approx 8 adults (always the same ones) took part in this 'fun' that was apparently aimed at our age group. The 'professional' evening entertainment was overshadowed by a 10 year old boy storming the stage during an interval - he received more applause than the act itself!! This should give you an idea of the calibre and suitability - think dancing russians, mexicans, etc etc etc.

Although the room and hotel itself are cleaned to a relatively high standard, this cant be said for the poolside and the pools themselves. Strong stench of sewers regularly wafts over you as you sunbathe - very pleasant! The ground was in good need of a regular sweep (fag ends etc) and the pools always have various debris floating in them. What I particularly enjoyed was the janitor arriving with a cloth and soapy water to clean the scum from the edge of the pool whilst I was in it - on many occasions too.

Sol Guadelupe is an average hotel with average facilities - for a cheap last minute deal it is acceptable. Magalluf itself is in my opinion more suited to young people (stag nights etc). We also had the pleasure of the Magamar Apartments being right across from our room - which meant we were regularly woken in the early hours by large groups returning from nights out - our 8 year old nearly saw a lot more than she should on a few occasions where young guys were 'hanging out' on their balconys!!

This is my viewpoint - I know others seemed to be having a good time and I may have higher expectations than others. If you want any element of relaxation or sophistication - forget it."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of July 2005

What a great stay !

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"What a fab hotel! As chief bridesmaid for my best friends wedding i was assigned the task of arranging the hen weekend. We choose Sol Guadalupe based on the reviews on this site and i'm so glad we did. The hotel and magaluf was amazing - so good we didn't want to come home. The hotel is modern, clean and in a nice location. Not smack bang in the middle of the magaluf but a short stroll away - this was appreciated coming home at 5.30am every morning as theres a 24hr McDonalds which provided us with a nice stop over. There isn't a bad view in the hotel neither. There were 9 of us in our group, with rooms on both sides of the hotel and they all had great views. We were told when we booked that there was only double rooms available which meant there would be one person on their own however when we arrived at the hotel, the friendly staff said there was a triple room available and if your in a big group i'd recommend this room - it was huge (number 910 - top floor but great views). We enjoyed this so much we all want to go back again to the same hotel - speaks for itself!"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of June 2005

fantastic hotel

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"Myself and six friends spent 5 nights in this fantastic hotel to celebrate my hen week...I booked through the solmelia website and had no problems at all...we flew bmi baby and got a transfer by minibus from the airport...all very straightforward and saving us around £100.00 each into the bargain.

The hotel rooms although not huge were clean and well maintained,the staff friendly and the food was excellent..

I would highly recommend this hotel even for for families as there is a pleasant atmosphere and you are set a little back from the main strip..

10 out of 10...would definitely recommend"

• Travel date: Tue 21st of June 2005

best yet.going back!!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"the wife and myself 38/44 stayed here last may and it was everything and more the review sites had quoted,it was our first holiday without the kids and we loved the hotel and magaluf itself,rooms lovely ,clened daily, food something for every one,night time gets a little hectic on the strip but not near the hotel unless you are a very light sleeper..going back in june..cant wait..ps beach/water lovely.give it a go you wont be disappointed."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of May 2005

Reassuring quality at this hotel

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Based solely on the good reviews of Sol Guadalupe my family (3 adults) booked in last Thursday (14/4/05) for a long weekend. If, like me, you are fussy about hotel standards, you will not be disappointed. Hotel is near the beach although set back from the promenade. Situated on the edge of the busy area of Magalluf, so quiet in the evening (in April). Very near a range of shops. All staff, without exception, were very friendly and helpful to the extent of volunteering to do things rather than wait to be asked. Great sense of humour among some of the restaurant staff. One of the chefs enjoyed playing rhythms with spoons on the lids of jars!

Reception was extremely helpful, patient and obliging. I had emailed a request for two rooms facing the pool and this had been arranged, although they were 3 rooms apart. When they saw that my son was disabled, they had another think, rearranged things and gave us rooms next to each other in a better location. I asked about hiring a wheelchair and they gave us the hotel one free for the duration against a 20 euro returnable deposit.

Rooms are very clean and modern. The hotel looks quite new, no indication at all that it is nigh on 30 years old. Clearly it must have been refurbished more than once and is freshly painted. Yes, the rooms are not spacious but adequate. They are about 9 feet wide and 14/16 feet long. Equipped with telephone and television. A safe and a fridge can be rented. Bathroom is reasonable size, clean and fresh. Shower hot and strong. Hot water reaches the basin tap within two seconds literally and we were on the top floor – excellent. Only downside – no tea making facilities in the room. Modest sea views also.

The self service restaurant is remarkable for its variety, cleanliness, speed of service, layout and quality. Excellent range of breakfasts from simple continental with 4/5 choices of bread/croissants – croissants so large they looked like small chickens ready for the oven!, two types of butter, jam, marmalade, 5/6 cold drinks/fruit juices/good coffees and excellent tea (albeit teabags and hot water). Several types of cheeses and several of cold meats. Yoghourts, cereals and various fruits available. Hot food also, ranging from fried/scrambled/boiled eggs, bacon, sausages, fried bread, potatoes, onions. More than enough to have a different hot or cold breakfast every day for at least a week. I soon gave up on the cooked breakfasts for the cold was pretty filling.

Evening meal selection was superb. Selection of cold dishes, hot dishes, superb very fresh salad bar with around 17 different items to choose from. Hot dishes always included a soup and had a range of main courses such as fish (different one each night), beef (carvery and/or casserole), veal, fried chicken, vegetarian, pasta, pizza, paella, burgers, fries, potato, range of hot veg, (roast peppers very good). Salad veg. was always cool and crisp. Not a sog in sight! Excellent selection of puddings, pastries, gateaux and sweets also.

Clientele from Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Scotland, England, Wales and lots of Spaniards. All good humoured and courteous. Got a bit noisy at times but this actually added to the atmosphere of enjoyment. Best 3 star I have stayed in."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of April 2005

Avoid at high season unless you are guaranteed a room with a pool view

Reviewed Thu 25th of August 2011

"On arrival we were allocated a room opposite the roudy Sol y Vera apartments even though we had emailed the hotel prior to arrival requesting a pool view. We were checked in by Miguel who was most "unwelcoming" and after a sleepless night due to the noise of the apartments opposite (drunken youngster who even had a tannoy system on the balcony) managed to change rooms to a quiet pool view room. It was even more annoying that Miguel had confirmed we had been allocated a quiet room when we checked in when he obviously new different. The food was good and restaurant service was excellent, sun loungers did not cause any problems as they were plentiful. Unfortunately towards the end of the holiday an expensive pair of D & G sunglasses "disappeared" from the bedside cabinet. Avoid at high season unless you are guaranteed a pool view."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of August 2011

Never be back

Reviewed Mon 1st of August 2011

"Having been here in 2009 and enjoying quietness of the hotel and amenities, we decided to return with our family...our daughter and two grandchildren, 18 and 11.
IN A WORD...MISTAKE!!!
The hotel itself has not changed at all, BUT, a lot of the 'YOB' culture seems to have migrated from the other end of town to occupy the surrounding self-catering blocks of flats from which there is relentless amount of noise, shouting and bad language mostly during the early or late evening and early mornings, upon return from the local bars and disco's. Several of the guests (INCLUDING OURSELVES) asked to be relocated to rooms away from the noise.This the did for us after 3 nights without sleep!!!
This was not just confined to the surrounding flats, but did also occur within the hotel itself on occasions. We, and others, reported the perpetrators to the management who, to be fair, confronted the guilty parties, warning them to be quiet...or be asked to leave the hotel.
Another problem was that various occupants of the local flats decided to unleash several empty glass beer bottles on to the childrens pool area, causing the pools to be closed due to chards of glass which cut several chilrens feet...Including my youngest Grandchild.
Other than the above, I can report that the hotel and rooms were always clean. Food was plentiful and varied. Drinks in the hotel were pricey and usually small measure. Evening entertainment was poorer, than on our first visit in 2009. The hotel sells newspapers...at a price...Daily Mail for example...2.50 euro. Across the street, 2.20 euro.
Sunbeds...be ready for 'the cavalry charge' at 8.30 every morning...towels at the ready...open the door and..."CHARGE!!!". My daughter was barged out of a man's way in order for him to 'book' his usual 3 beds....OFFICIALLY, THE HOTEL DOES NOT ALLOW THIS....the same happened on our 2009 visit.
Anyway, enough said in this report...Would We recommend this hotel for families....NO, NO, NO"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of July 2011

Hotels near Sol Guadalupe by Melia

Stayed at Sol Guadalupe by Melia? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sol Guadalupe by Melia

• "lots of night life good beachs "

• "went half board in the sol guadlupe "

• patg54 by patg54

"Very quiet this year and not very cheap "

• 123pick by 123pick

"Dont go karting , rip off 40 euros for 10mins, can rent quads or mo peds for a ful day for cheaper "

• Matt Livermore by Matt Livermore

"Excellent hotel and a excellent place to visit. "

• WULLIE by WULLIE

"Too much noise and disturbance from neighbouring cheap high-rise flats "

Sol Guadalupe by Melia is also called