Melia Calvia Beach

Calle Violetes 1, 07181 Magaluf, Calvia, Majorca Spain

Good

Nice hotel in an incredibly touristy area

"My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one week in July 2004 for part of our honeymoon and we have nothing bad to say about the hotel, only the surrounding area.

I read previous reviews and we must've stayed on one of the refurbished floors because our room was very clean and bright with no stains anywhere, and the washroom was also very clean, spacious and modern. The food was not spectacular but still quite good with a decent selection. It was typical mass produced buffet service food. What lacked in quality was more than made up in quantity since it's all-you-can-eat.

The pool was great but if you didn't claim a chair before 9am, you were basically out of luck for the rest of the day. That was EXTREMELY annoying. One day we went to the pool around 9am and nearly every chair was claimed but there were only 4-5 people on the entire pool deck with no one in the pool. There should be a policy that if you leave your chair for more than 15-20 min, you lose your chair.

Our biggest disappointment had nothing to do with the hotel but rather the area. It was unbelievably touristy. While the beach was lovely, Magaluf is made up entirely of hotels, souvenir shops and English style pubs. Though I love English pubs, I didn't go to Mallorca for English pub grub. I went to Mallorca hoping for a Spanish experience. The only place in the area that served anything close to Spanish food was in the hotel (which caters very much to non-Spanish tastes in food). If you want authentic Spanish food/entertainment/culture, you have to go to Palma which is a GREAT city or one of the smaller surrounding towns. Basically, Magaluf is the UK with a nice beach and amazing weather. Had I known how non-Spanish the area was, I would definitely not have chosen to stay in Magaluf. I would've stayed in Palma instead. Or I would've preferred to be somewhere in the UK for a true UK experience. However, if you're interested in a relaxing beach vacation and don't care much about experiencing other cultures, this hotel is pretty good."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of January 2006

Very Impressed

"On arrival, you will find the car park has a barrier to which you will need a pass card to access. My partner ran into the hotel to obtain a pass while I double parked. she obtained the pass card without fuss and we accesed the car park. We were then met by one of the reception staff who insisted on carrying the suitcases for us. All the reception staff spoke good english and were very polite and helpful.
The room faced the mountains (sea views available)and were very clean and tidy. The rooms were cleaned and all towels replaced on a daily basis. The breakfast buffet was terrific with plenty of choice even for the more fussy eaters. The evening meal was buffet style again and still plenty of choice to choose from. The quality of the food was supurb and the wine waiters not pushy or intrusive. Moving onto the evening entertainment, we found that the range of entertainment was good with professional entertainers. (singing, band, female impersonators, acrobatics etc).
The surrounding area was very quiet with most shops and night clubs closed for the season. If you wish for a great Christmas then we would recommend this hotel without reservations but you will need a hire car to travel to the many markets in various towns on the Island with Palma being the main shopping centre.
Well done to all the staff to make our Christmas special."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of January 2006

loosing its way

"Having just returned from our 7th visit over a 10 year period the hotel is `loosing its way`. Rooms on the 1st floor to the 5th are in dire need of refurbishment, we were on the 4th floor (sea view). The carpet was stained and thread bare in places, the furniture was chipped, marked and in poor condition and a draw front in the wardrobe was hung off !. From the 6th floor upwards rooms have been refurb`d.
The public areas, lounge, bar, pool and sun lounge areas are fine, although the hotel next door has afternoon activities with pumped up PA system and loud music. The food is plentiful and good, but the dinning room has changed. Gone have the white table clothes, napkins and waiters in white shirt and bow tie, gone has the head waiter showing you to your table with upholstered chairs. In has come plastic imitation wood table and non upholstered chairs, the table cloth is a strip of coloured paper (width of kitchen roll) placed down the middle of the table and the waiters look as if they have come from Disney World. Brown shoes and trousers, open neck polo shirts in red or blue. Compared to what it `was` like I cannot see how it maintains its 4 star status. More like a reasonable 3 star with 1 star bedrooms upto the 5th floor. We will not be returning until we know that it is `back on track`. A pity ,because the location is good."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of September 2005

Worst Hotel We Have Stayed In

"Our family 2 adults, 3 childran went by thompsons holidays. for 10 days
The entertainment was terrible and very boring. No good for children, ideal for old people only. Piano music every night. The pool has old sunbeds, many broken and they wont allow rings in for kids.
The rooms and fittings are old and no money spent The staff are miserable and not friendly (our room lady was nice) No parking if you hire a car (lots of walking) Thompsons are not available in hotel when required, sometimes 1 hour per day if lucky
The footpaths on beach are a death trap day and night, no lighting at night. There is nothing for teenagers to do at all

Best part of holiday is to hire a car and go to port andrux, mountains, etc good road signs, well marked for english drivers.

Magaluf is very scruffy, no money has been spent over last several years, lots of conmen about, thieves, drunkards, but i can say i saw no trouble the police are very good.

NO GOOD FOR FAMILYS WITH YOUNG CHILDREN

the food was good, no stomach problems

the sea was safe, but beach very dirty with cigerettes, rubish, not cleaned daily.

the waterparks are a money racket"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of July 2005

Yet Again Another Great Week

"We returned for our third trip to this hotel and yet again we were not disapointed, the hotel as usual was very very clean and hotel was up to it's usual high standard, and the staff also were first class - some of them even remembered us from last year, which is always a very nice personel touch.
We had our 3 year old daughter with us and the entertainment for her was fantastic, the only down side was the food, which was not as good as previous years, if possible I would suggest bed and breakfast, or if half board eat in the hotel at lunch time and go out to some of the near by pubs for something to eat in the evening - would highly recomend the Cottage Bar the food is fantastic and at reasonable prices.

But do not let the food put you off going to this great hotel as we will certainly be booking again."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2005

Not quite up to standard

Good

"This hotel is split into two parts: the 'Sol Antillas' and the 'Sol Barbados', they are two seperate hotels but they share entertainment and swimminf pools. My family stayed in the Sol Antillas, which was a nice 4* hotel overall. But we weren't entirely happy with our choice of hotel due to a few reasons. 1) There are 10 floors in 'Sol Antillas' floors 5-10 have fully refurbished rooms, whereas floors 1-5 are not refurbished and the curtains and bedsteads were a little tatty for a 4* hotel. 2) Smoking is permitted everywhere except the dining room in the hotel, which is very annoying if you do not smoke. 3) The food is a bit repetitive as it is a buffet but very good tasting. But the positive aspects of the hotel outweigh the negatives. 1) There are lots of swimming pools, which means they aren't overcrowded. 2) The hotel backs onto the beach, so there is a great view. 3) The staff are extremely friendly, organized and helpful. 4) There is good night time entertainment in the lounge, and also activities for adults and children all through the day. 5) The facilities are great as they have lots of beauty treatments at very low prices and a fully equipped gym for only 4 euros a day. So overall, I would recommend this hotel as it is in a very convienent location and was a pleasant stay."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

just back

"Just back from my stay at this hotel. If staying at this hotel you should request a refurbished room, the other rooms are very tatty, This hotel is not what i would call four star more like a three"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of May 2005

A Great Location

"We spent three weeks here in March. It was a bit too long for buffet meals. Although they were usually quite good they were naturally repetative. We had a wonderful ocean view which helped to make up for the fact that we were on one of only three floors that have not yet been renovated. The beds were great but the furniture and carpeting were getting pretty tired.
Because it was off-season the activities were limited and we were there during an exceptionally cool period. In spite of this we enjoyed many day trips exploring the beautiful island. The caves were fascinating."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of April 2005

Very friendly staff !

"Just returned from a 3 night "hen" trip to the Sol Antillas.
Found the staff to be very friendly.
There were 7 of us and we stayed on the 1st floor, as a 4* hotel I would have said more a good 3*, but did not know the top few floors had been refurbished but having said that the rooms were clean and not at all smelly as I have read in one of the reviews.
We had a great view over the beach/bay.
The gym has a good range of equipment. You have to pay for the gym & sauna and you can have various treaments such as massage and manicures etc.. (book early for these as we found there was only 1 girl who did this in till 2pm)
Pool and jacuzzi are free.
We had a problem with the shower not working and they came up and fixed it within an hour.
It has a huge bar and entertainment standing/seating area.
Food was quite good.

Being out of season, and only late deal we could get, Magaluff was thankfully not the raving place you hear it to be in the summer. We found no Irish bars open but did find 2 bars with good music. 'Jokers' - small bar with live entertainment and then few doors away there is a huge bar 'Benny Hills' which plays good music.

Dont ever intend to visit Magaluff again but was good place for a hen and the hotel was grand for 7 girls."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of February 2005

Nice out of season Holiday

Good

"Having read mixed reviews about the sol Antilas and its sister hotel the Barbados before booking we made sure we took peoples advice on requesting a top floor room. on arrival we found there was no more available and were out on the 7th floor. on this floor the hotel appeared dirty and worthy of no more than 2 stars however we decided to go up two floors to see what we were missing out on and it was a completely different hotel and worthy of 4 stars. luckily the next morning a 9th floor room became vacant and we were able to move. the room was very modern and clean unlike the previous which smelt of damp and had yellow water running out the taps. the food was of good standard and we did use the half board facility every night and the options were varied. tip: have a freshly cooked cheese and ham omlette in the am for brekkie! our first two days were rainy but soon the sun came out and we had a couple of days sunbathing on the beach. we hired a car cheapily about £65.00 over the internet for the week which we collected at the airport and was an easy drive to magaluf about 30mins for someone who hasnt been before. we used the car to its full advantage and visited inca, puerto pollensa, andratx, puertos banus etc.. as you drive round the main road of palma city wall there is a fantastic shopping mall with some high street names where the price is a lot cheaper than home. for our accomadition we paid about £120 each for a weeks half board basis and our flights with easyjet were really cheap too. it definetly worked out a lot cheaper than throught the last minute internet sites. palma nova can easily be reached by foot from magaluf and also has lovely clean beaches like magaluf you should definetly try golf fantasia a crazy golf course slightly expensive but the grounds are well looked after and very pretty a lot of fun if the weather is not to good. in magaluf you should go to ben and jerrys theme pub on the main strip a real parrty atmospher suitable for everyone. book your accom at solmeliahotels. we stayed in late march early april 2004"

• Travel date: Fri 31st of December 2004

I could crush a grape!

"Hi my name is John Kennedy, I took my favourite nephew to this hotel and I can`t say enough. wee Jum(my nephew) played all day in their kids club and a team of wild rocking horses had to drag him from the pool aerobics. He looked ever so funny with all the ladies but they didn`t mind at all!

I pretty much go all inclusive every year and always found the portions in USA a tad rationed. Not the case at Sol Antillas, I had a 14 day eating extravaganza. In the words of my idol Stu Francis "I could eat(I mean crush) a grape"!

14 days of sun, sand and sausages mmm mmmm!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2009

The last time

"My sister and I have stayed at the Antillas many times (she has stayed annually for the past 23 years). However we have just returned from what will be our last visit to this hotel. Our sea view room, cleanliness of room/hotel, staff, were fine, but the food in the restaurant was appalling and cold, except for breakfast. Our opinion is that the quality has gone down considerably. We never saw one person in the Snack Bar. In fact the hotel was very quiet. The entertainment was quite good but you had to suffer Bingo before the proper entertainment. Ugh. OK, we were a bit out of season and Magaluf was very very quiet but we went to visit friends who live in Magaluf. Despite having half board, we actually went out to decent restaurants on 4 occasions. We visited the Sol Cala Blanca in Palma Nova and on our next trip we will be staying there."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of October 2008

Hotels near Melia Calvia Beach

Stayed at Melia Calvia Beach? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Melia Calvia Beach

• weejumandunclejohn by weejumandunclejohn

"Go there and try the Pie-ella "

Melia Calvia Beach is also called