Barcelo Illetas Albatros

Paseo de Illetas 15, 07181, Calvia, Majorca Spain

Good
( 1917 reviews)

Good for a short break

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"My girlfriend and I just returned from a two night stay in this hotel. It's excellent for a short break, and the half board option seems particularly good value. Nice pool, and the rooms are pretty decent. It is a bit out of the way, and not much variety in the way of restaurants around, but it is only 15 mins on the bus back into Palma.

I would say that for a short break in the sun, this hotel is better value than many, and if you are after a bit of peace and quiet and the opportunity to read that book then it is nigh on perfect."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of August 2007

Great location

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Very nice hotel, with proffessional staff.

We spent a week here, and to be honest, this is by far the best
hotel we have ever visited in Mallorca.
Good:
Excellent breakfast.
The bus to Palma stops right in front of the entrance.
Clean
Friendly personel.
Nice swimming pools

So what are the "buts"?
Beach: no good. Especially if you have small children. Its better
to try Alcudia or similar.
Other than that;nothing."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Absolutely Beautiful

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"We originally booked Barcelo Casa Vina's and i believe it was fate for me to find the bad reviews of the hotel on this site because i immediately looked into changing our accommodation and found Barcelo Albatros.

This hotel is magnificent as well as the many facilities free to use it also has own cute little beach. Location is fantastic, a bus stop located no more than 30 meters from the hotel door step and a short 15min bus ride to Old Town Palma. A nice 1 km walk to a lovely public sand beach with huts and sun beds all for hire and massage offers. Crystal blue water and a bar at the top of the beach.

The staff at Albatros are hospitable and helpful. The food at the restaurant for both breakfast and dinner were tasty. The bar guy makes the best authentic sangrias i have ever tasted! Entertainement in the evenings, top knotch Its great i would definately like to go back there and i would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to stay in Mallorca.

My boyfriend and I had a fantastic time and will go back next summer."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of October 2006

Lovely week at this excellent Hotel

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"Lovely Hotel with fantastic views from restaurant patios.
Good rooms and friendly staff.
Good clean outdoor pool and added extra of indoor pool which is safe for children.
Food was plentiful with cooked to order breakfast and good quality evening meals.
Free parking can be found at the public car park 5 minutes walk away.
Plenty public transport to Palma and to the local beach.
Good Hotel for a nice relaxing holiday away from the English crowds in Maguluf."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of August 2006

10th - 14th July 2006 - Loved It

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Booked this hotel for a romantic break with my partner without the children ! it was only a four day break but the hotel surpassed our expectations and we had a great time. The accommadation is hard to fault as are the facilities. The Hotel is right by the sea and has lovely views as do all the hotel bars and restaraunt and we thoroughly enjoyed having breakfast on the terrace with spectacular views. We went half board and the meals were good with plenty of choice. The pool is lovely, clean and inviting and there are plenty of loungers so no need to rush out early unless you fancy one of the inch thick lounger cushions.
This is an ideal location for any one wanting a short break and being well looked after by the very friendly staff who give that bit more if you take the time to chat to them (rather than moaning at them as at least one reviewer seems to have done).
Fresh towels and room cleaned every day with free airconditioning.
On the down side there isn't much in Illitas so if it's plenty of cafe bars or night life you are looking for then this isn't the place for you. They are available a short taxis or bus ride away but we just enjoyed chilling by the pool in the day and then relaxing in the bars in the evening. Only 15mins by Taxis from Palma its great for the independant traveller.
If you want night life and beaches then perhaps not the best choice, but for a relaxing romantic break that is of a higher class and standard than your usual package holiday hotel (we thought it was posh) then you really can't beat it."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

up and coming or down and out?

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"On arrival at lunchtime our rooms were not ready. We were asked to return in an hour. This gave us time to explore the hotel and surrounding area. What a disappointment! The 'small private beach' turned out to be an area of concrete and hardcore big enough for three small umbrellas. Almost impossible to walk on without shoes so was entry to the sea as the area was full of large, slimy rocks. The nearest public beach was 15 minutes walk away. This was lovely before luch time but after 2pm each day became over crowded, especially with teenagers. There was much evidence of drug use and bad behaviour.
Many of the shops and restaurant units in Illetas were closed down and the area suffered from big city levels of graffiti.
Back at the hotel after two hours our rooms were still not ready and reception informed us that the chambermaid was having a siesta so the rooms would not be ready for a couple of hours. Having worked in the hotel industry I know laziness when I see it. It was obvious that rooms had been pre-allocated to suit the staff and when I stated this they were able to allocate different rooms which were ready.
This first experience typified our stay - poor service and poor management. Customers certainly came second! Other examples: Beach towels were available for a 10 euro deposit but rarely were clean towels available (twice in two weeks), the public bar and social area was closed for the 'owners' private party - hotel guests were just kicked out, internet access was sold in 15, 30 or 60 minute blocks - they ran out of the most popular 30 minute vouchers but charged extra for two 15 minutes, they ran out of many ingredients during the fortnight including those for their limited cocktail offer - on average it took a week to relenish, the restaurant and bar were always under staffed often just one member of staff!
Summary
Illetas is a convenient location for access to Palma, Palma Nova, Portals Nous, Porto Portals, Peguera etc
Bus links and taxis are plentiful and cheap
Illetas is a resort of 8 hotels and many holiday apartments
Apart from a couple of Spar shops and a few bars there is little there for tourists
The Barcelo Albatros is an average hotel and not one of the best in Illetas
It is not suitable for children or those who struggle with steps, rocks and uneven surfaces
Food is average Mediterranean fare - generally cheap ingredients poorly cooked
With a few notable exceptions staff did not offer good service to customers
This hotel is run primarily for the 'owner' and management - they get good service and are able to entertain their friends
It convinced me and at least 10 other guests I spoke to that Majorca is no longer the place for me"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of July 2006

Fabulous Holiday !!!!!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I work within the travel Industry but am not connected with this type of holiday. I have been to Majorca several times but this is my first time in this resort. I read the reviews and went with an open mind. I have to say that I have just spent one of the best holidays here at the Barcelo Albatros.
The Hotel and staff were great. I cannot fault the food (I've put all the weight back on that I lost prior to going) and the rooms were spotless.
The surrounding area is lovely and clean with a few bars and restaurants although I feel you are better with the half board option rather than spend time and money taking taxis to various eateries. There is a supermarket along the road and the bus to Palma stops outside the hotel.
If you want all night drinking and Kareokee bars then this is not the area for you! If you want to take things at your own pace and chill out then book it!! I would imagine if you booked here in winter it may be a little quiet as you would probably be more Hotel based. I've already made a booking for next year - Can't wait!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of July 2006

fantastic 4 days

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Took avantage of the £34 per couple per night half board.Sea view room really worth upgrading - however did not have to pay supplement.Meal choice was excellent.Bus stop to Palma outside hotel and ran every 5 mins.Taxi to Palma Nova costs 8 euros.
Best short break I've had...."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of April 2006

Great value and good food

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We had stayed here in June 04, so knew the hotel was OK (this is the first hotel we have EVER stayed at twice!).

Being so quiet we thought the food choice might have become a bit limited, but it was still very good when there were only 5 tables occupied at dinner mid week.

It's a great base for a winter break - the motorway junction is 2 minutes away so you can be in Soller or Valldemossa in 40 mins.

Down sides? Well, the walls are a bit thin. An 'active' couple in the next room were very audible! There is a new indoor pool, jacuzzi and sauna next to the fitness room, but the water is almost as cold as the air temperature in the changing room. And the sauna had to be switched on in advance. And it closed at 4pm. So don't chose the Albatros if this is a priority.

We met both German and British multi visitors as well and they will be returning, though the German couple (quite rightly) were a bit cross about the hotel staffletting (mainly Spanish) guests use their mobiles in the dining room - frequently and loudly. We were less fussed as we couldn't understand them, but guess that the usual drivel ("I'm in the hotel", "I'm eating", etc.) could be a bit tedious if you did.

The view across the bay in the restaurant is magic. Really sets you up for the day."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of January 2006

A great hotel and quiet location

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Having spent a week at The Barcelo Albertros at Whitsun this year, I can honestly say that I can't really think of much to complain about. The room was good with enough space for an extra bed for our daughter. The bathroom was very spacious with a seperate loo, looked like it was recently refurbished.
Pool area was lovely with direct views over the ocean, there is a tiny beach area, but you can walk to a local beach in 5-10mins if you need more space.
The bus stop is outside the hotel, so visits to Palma and other areas are really straight forward, plus there were more than enough bars close by the hotel. If you like shopping this bus also stpos at Porto Pie shopping mall on the edge of the city.
We had opted for Half Board and the food was excellent, both at Breakfast and Dinner, lots of choice and a lovely dining room overlooking the sea.
Staff were friendly and helpful, I would definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of October 2005

This hotel is listed as a 4 star, more l...

Reviewed Thu 21st of February 2008

"This hotel is listed as a 4 star, more like a 3 though facilities, Outside pool, internal pool and gym seem to boost it up a bit the internal pool is miniscule and the gym is the usual bikes and very little else, the friendliness of the Bar and Restaruant staff do much to make a good overall impression, but the food is a little monotomous and not always consistent, depends on which chef is working I think but the cleanliness of the room left a lot to be desired, I wrote my name in thick dust behind the bedside table it was still there at the end of the week, the walls are also extremely thin, think we had two honeymoon couples each side of our room. Strongly recommend ear defenders or a gag depending on which side your on. However the location is fantastic, the terrace overlooking the bay of Palma with your drinks and snacks delivered by friendly staff and you soon forget the niggles would recommend this hotel with some reservations (no pun intended)"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of February 2008

Hotels near Barcelo Illetas Albatros

Stayed at Barcelo Illetas Albatros? Share your insight.

Barcelo Illetas Albatros is also called