Sun Club El Dorado

Ctra. Cabo Blanco, km 11 Cabo Regana, 07609 Tolleric, Majorca Spain

Good

AVOID THIS HOTEL

Reviewed 3 months ago

"Please take a minute to look at these bad reviews because they are 100% consistent with what we experienced. The accommodation is horrendous, the staff are incredibly rude and the pool/bar areas are filthy. We only lasted half an hour and then we moved to another hotel (costing us almost £1200!)

The hotel owner refused to give us any sort of refund and lied to our holiday company about how we complained. I’ve never experienced anything like this in my entire life. I wouldn’t even allow my dog to stay in the room as it was crawling with insects and looked like something in a horror film.

The hotel and holiday companies are ripping people off and destroying people hard earned holidays.

The positive reviews are all suspiciously similar and I’m 99% certain they are faked by the hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2018

Dont Go

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Dont go ,only lasted 3 hours in one of the so-called superior bungalows which was ant infested with threadbare sheets uncovered cushions - in general very poor condition.After complaining to the management about the ants they sent a cleaner who just sprayed everywhere with ant killer [the smell was horrendous] having complained again another cleaner was sent to clean up dead ants and spray polish ,returning again found more ants and awfull smell.Having decided we could not sleep in these conditions asked manager to be moved but were told no accommodation available until at least monday[now sat night] so decided to leave for another hotel we had stopped in before we knew would be clean.We rang our booking agent Imperial Travel the next day and were very rude and unhelpfull , wont be using them again ,on returning complaing again and found out had booked with youtravel.com who again have not been helpfull.See pictures yourself and this is after cleaning would not give this any star rating at all"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of July 2007

Had a great relaxing time!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We stayed here in July and had a great time!

One of the best things about 'Sun Club' is the Ranch. The horses are beautiful and so well looked after, the Ranch is really impressive. If you are organised and book in advance, it's possible to go riding (lessons for beginners or excursions for experienced riders) every day except Sunday. I took lessons on three days and found the staff to be really friendly and helpful.

Although Sun Club has historically been a destination for mainly Belgian and French guests, over the last two years more and more English and German guests have visited. This is a little apparent in the fluency of English of some of the staff, but you can certainly make yourself understood and, indeed, understand all staff. This caused no problem for us and we quite enjoyed recalling our GCSE French lessons and trying to speak the odd word to fellow guests.

The bar and restaurant staff were friendly and efficient. On a busy night at the entertainment bar, a queue could form but we never encountered anything more than a 10 minute wait and these were infrequent.

There was mini-golf on site which could use a re-furb, but was fun all the same and we hired bikes one day and had a ride out. There is not much in the surrounding area however, but there is a well stocked mini supermarket on-site which had everything we needed. The 'Animation' team run all sorts of things to keep you entertained: archery, shooting, aqua aerobics, aerobics & step, scuba, kayaking ...etc. They also run clubs for kids and teens.

A good bus service stops at the hotel and it's possible to travel further afield to Arenal or Palma. The buses are very plush and the service is frequent.

The pools are great, we preferred the quieter 'top' pool, but all were very clean.

The only real word of caution I would give about Sun Club is that the 'basic' rooms are just that. They are very similar to the old fashioned 'Hi-de-hi' style chalet. We tried to upgrade as we had a 'b' (back) room with no balcony but as the site was booked up it wasn't possible to upgrade. Whichever type of chalet you get though the walls are also quite thin and you do have to be sparse with the hot water if two of you wish to shower consecutively.

We found the food to be great. It was varied and plentiful for both lunch and dinner (can't comment on breakfast as we are not morning people and never made it!). The drinks are also of good quality and the self-service drinks set-up in the dining room is fab.

All in all we had a great stay - very relaxing and would definitely consider returning."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of July 2007

Room from hell

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"The "hotel" is about 10 miles from Palma.
On the plus side the hotel has a great pool, tennis courts and facilities for children.
Th room is dirty, mattress soggy, you can hear conversation in room next door, nobody speaks any english (luckily I speak german and french). Staff not interested, bad food. See my pictures, they will speak for themselves.
This hotel should not be allowed to have any stars."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of July 2007

A much needed break

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"The weather in England was dire. We had arranged to see my sister in Croydon, a stones throw away from Gatwick, so I called teletext holidays and asked for a 3 night break in the sun in Majorca, and the guy sent us to the Sun Club!

To be honest, we read some reviews, but went with an open mind. And we weren't really that disappointed. The accomodation was basic, more like a Butlins chalet, but then you only sleep there. Air Con would have been nice tho ha! The place was built mainly for children, there is absolutely everything for them to do.

The food was ok. I read some reviews with people moaning about the selection, I found there was a decent spread, catering for everyone, salads, rice, pasta, fish, always chips,even at breakfast! But then if you don't want chips, don't have it. They had breads, meets, cheeses, preserves and fruit too. At Dinner they often had a joint of meet being carved up which was very nice indeed. I did hear a little English girl say 'God, all this food is for foreigners' which made me laugh! We were in another country afterall, lets try and introduce a little cultural diversity!!

The main downside to the break was the French, i'm not anti-european by any means, but they were so rude. Pushing in at meal times, at the bar, I could not believe it sometimes. How I kept my mouth shut I have no idea! There were a few English there, mainly with children, and also Germans, who weren't too bad.

A visit to El Arenal costs 1.45 each way. This is a must, mainly to get away from the hotel pools etc, which can be preety loud and energetic. The beach here is lovely, and the see is very nice too. There are numerous bars, restaraunts, souvenir shops etc. But be warned, everything is kitted out for the Germans.

Overall, we had a nice little escape from the rain in England, chilled out on the beach, and never lifted a finger. I wouldn't recommend this place for a ritzy full on All Inclusive experience, but the kids will love a week away. And its only a 2 hour flight"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

Somewhere to chill out and enjoy the facilities

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"We orginally booked this hotel back in February when the reviews where good and a little worried about the latest comments made in May, just before we went. We went with a open mind and found we weren't disappointed. Yes the rooms are basic and in need of a lick of paint etc but they were extremely clean and comfortable and we had a lovely view of the sea from our superior room. It is all on a hill so if you have any walking difficulties you may find it hard to get about. We found the staff all friendly and helpful, the kids club was well organised although the mini-disco in the evening only latest about 30 minutes but the kids seem to love it. The swimming pools are lovely and never crowded and no need to rush out at 8.00am to put your towel on a sunbed. The food was all edible and there are labels to tell you what it is! The chef was there every morning making fresh eggs of pancakes and in the evening they were usually cooking something fresh. We also found plenty of English people there but tended to avoided some as seem to be the ones moaning!! Well worth a visit into Palma but found El Arenal abit tacky.

Overall for the money we paid it was a really enjoyable holdiay. If you just want to relax by the pool or have loads of activities to hand for yourself and kids and not worry about dipping into your pocket every 5 minutes for ice cream etc then i think you won't be disappointed. And yes there is no beach and it takes 365 steps to get down to the rocks but this is all stated before you go, so shouldn't be a surprise!!"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of June 2007

no to the eldorado

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"the resort is very isolated,(taxi driver struggled to find it!)omens not good.first room we were given had a door rather similar to that of a garden shed,and when we entered oh dear!tatty fixtures and fittings,worn out beds and soggy mattresses,and the remnants of a kitchen(must have at one time been self-catering,but no-one bothered to redecorate).I have to say to the good of the management they did move us with no fuss to a slightly less grotty room with a better view.as we were only there for a week we decided to put up with it.the food was almost as bad,little variety unless you were German or French,who seemed to be better catered for.No decent bacon,tea,or even pasta!H ow easy is pasta?You could have chips every morning!Yes chips in the morning,but very rarely any other time,and when there was there seemed to be a stampede even by the germans!Ah the germans!If you are English here you are in a minority,and after a week of virbose Germans and French you tend to become rather nationalistic!Most of the other facilities were reasonably good.The pools were clean,drinks decent and plentifull(although plastic glasses at the bar cheap and nasty),most of the staff were helpfull if rather sullen,and seemed to be reasonably fluent in German and French but not English which I suppose is inevitable considering the ratios of nationalities at the resort.Not much to do in the evening unless you take a bus ride into Arenal or Palma,but this is cheap.The last bus back to El Dorado however is at 8.30,so you would have to share a cab.Also there is no beach(unless you are very fit and like walking up and down 365 steps to a long rocky ledge.)Again it's a trip into Arenal which has some nice beaches and very good eating establishments which is good after sampling El Dorados' woefull efforts.In conclusion,if you have kids you might have a reasonable time,but I would certainly not recommend Sun Club El Dorado to anyone else!"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of June 2007

don't go here !

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"we visited this hotel in May. No way could it score as a 3 star on any sort of scale. the "superior" room was horrendous. We were moved but only to the same sort of very tired, water boiler in the bedroom place. The boiler by the way can only provide one shower an hour a problem when there is more than one of you !

Perhaps it did have stars, but many, many moons ago. vast investment s needed to bring this place up to date in todays world.

It is miles out of the way of anywhere and a bus in takes half an hour and the last one back is half nine. all adds expense ie. taxis out of the place Don't go here"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of June 2007

Loved the facilities hated the food !

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We recently visited Sun Club El Dorado on a great cheap late deal and having read the reviews from previous visitors and looking at the official website we were very excited.

We stayed in the standard room, which we knew would be basic. Nothing will prepare you though for when you put the key in the door for the first time and open it.
The room resembled something out of Hi De Hi (two single beds and bathroom) but not as big, we upgraded the day after. The rooms were still very basic but larger.

Breakfast time came and we went down to the restaurant, I was amazed to see that chips were being served for breakfast! The hot breakfast consisted of fried or scrambled egg, small frankfurter sausages and chips. The lunch and evening meals were worse, the general issue was the quality of the food. At times the food was the worst I have ever eaten. I am no Gordon Ramsey and did not expect 4 or 5 star cuisine but I do expect it to be edible. I know people say you get what you pay for but I still would expect a well cooked meal that would slightly resemble in taste what it was supposed to, too much of the food was of poor quality and was lukewarm, a lot of the food didn’t have signs so you did not know what you were eating until you had it for example one day I had an onion ring the next I bit into squid in batter.

Daily you could see people walk up to the hot plates, have a look and leave with an empty plate, walk past to the top looking for something else and realising that it was the same walk back and try and salvage something to eat. At this hotel I ate because I was hungry not because I wanted too. The snack side was predominately crisps and nuts with the odd pizza, not sufficient for an all inclusive hotel.

The hotel is very isolated, there is nothing in walking discount although you can get a bus into Arenal which is 25 minutes away by bus, the hotel was majority French and German also.

On the plus side, the facilities are very good with the 3 pools, horse riding, mini golf and racquet sports, if you want to do a lot of activities this is the place with the entertainment being good as well, the days were good when you can dictate what you do. If this hotel was self catering on a resort I would recommend it very highly.

This is the first time I feel a little duped by other people’s reviews, when I read comments before about the food and the rooms, I generally thought they were writing about another hotel. We had a choice of a few hotels around the same price and opted for this on the information provided. The conversations among the British around the pools were the same, we were aware of families who transferred to other hotels.

I would only recommend this holiday to people who want an active holiday who are happy to eat chips all week and do not mind sleeping in basic accommodation and who hire a car, however if you enjoy your food and want to enjoy the all inclusive experience and want to relax in comfort go elsewhere, there are so many other hotels for around the same price."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of May 2007

Accomodation very basic

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Not a bad place - great for Kids - so much to do.
Mostly french guests who seemed to holiday in large groups and felt the need to be loud at night and also start singing some songs in the dining area - This was totally out of order and offensive to the english & germans trying to have a quiet meal. I think these idiots gained a bit of confidence due to the large numbers they were in. This should have been stopped by the mangement. I think the English get called "yobs" for doing this sort of thing.
Rooms were basically chalets! two single beds & a table is the complete furniture list. Very clean though."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

my first holiday at this hotel

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"we have just returned from this hotel it should be renamed HELL DORADO when we arrived there was no rep no one speaks very good english at all. the only good thing about this hotel is the entertainment that was great,the food was disgusting this hotel only caters for french and germans so if you like chips and doughnuts for breakfast this is the place to go. the accomodation is ok just to get your head down though the walls are that thin you can hear the next ones in the next apartment brushing there teeth! theres a bus to arenal quite frequently and this is beautiful thats the nearest beach and thats about 5miles away, we had to go here for something to eat if your looking for somewhere nice to eat and drink i sugest the sportsman pub you get a warm welcome and they do great english breakfast for 3 euros and we had the rump steak with all the trimmings for 11 euros and well worth the money as these are very large portions."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of May 2007

U don't get what u pay for

Reviewed Tue 16th of August 2016

"Run like a joke , overbook and then dump u in a disgusting room
Next day offer u what u paid for then offer compensation that's in your package
Still didn't get the large bungalow we paid for or any facilities ie fridge,all what was in package and booked 8months ago, they say sorry like its nothing they don't care how it affects u.
Needs more staff for bar areas that get filthy , buffet restaurant is a constant battle to get in,queuing for a seat ,then waiters move you off as you find a table to big for your group so u wait longer.20mins,its a shame as the complex is great,kids club is very good."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of August 2016

Hotels near Sun Club El Dorado

Stayed at Sun Club El Dorado? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sun Club El Dorado

• Ben Reynolds by Ben Reynolds

"Spend 1000s of pounds on each room. Treat your customers with respect and dignity. "

• Caroline F by Caroline F

"try all actives same for the children brilliant "

• Cowzie's carefully reviewed breaks by Cowzie's carefully reviewed breaks

"Use the Hotel and amenities, there is nothing else nearby "

• Paddy B by Paddy B

"Take a laptop with films for kids as some times you may wona chill out at the apartment "

• kerry & Pete by kerry & Pete

"Loved Arenal beach, you'll enjoy the whole day. Sandy beach and clear water. "

• kerry & Pete by kerry & Pete

"Foods great in Arenal. "

• Kristeen85 by Kristeen85

"A day trip to Areneal. Lots to do and many cheap resturants to choose from "

• Sad by Sad

"Find somewhere else unless your german "

• "Until they find ppl to run place properly I wouldn't go as it ruins ur holiday "

• English People by English People

"Dont waste your money "

• lizzie76 by lizzie76

"Has everything you want sun sea sand food and shops "

• andy mc by andy mc

"Lots of shops in arenal. didnt like beach "

• jacx67 by jacx67

"try not to think about your room and enjoy what the complex has to offer "

• gibbyess by gibbyess

"although not on a beach, there are regular buses into the arenal beaches leaving from reception "

• gibbyess by gibbyess

"we stayed in the sun club and did not venture out because it had everything we needed here already "

• Paw Paw by Paw Paw

"GET A RAILING AROUND THE KIDDIES POOL UP TOP. "

• deke by deke

"Not luxury, but worth getting a superior room . "

• Katyann H by Katyann H

"Dont worry about the rooms you do not spend much time in them "

• Suzanne D by Suzanne D

"Make sure you have a superior room with air con "

• Disappointing by Disappointing

"Dont go unless you can get an apartment the bungalows are awful "

Sun Club El Dorado is also called