Good

Clean, friendly, good food.

Reviewed Mon 19th of April 2010

"Good location, right on the sea front overlooking a small cove. Only 5 minutes walk to restaurants in Can Pastilla and the same to a nice beach. Rooms very clean and modern. Thought it might be noisy as it is only 10 minutes from the airport but I need not have worried. Staff are friendly and helpful without being in your face. Restaurant serves good food (buffet style). Bar was a little expensive, for example 2 Baileys cost 10 euros. (Only 13 for a bottle in the local supermarket). Hire a bike and cycle into Palma for the day, good fun and easy going (I hadn't ridden one for 25 years and I managed with ease!) All in all a good hotel and location, would stay there again."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of April 2010

This hotel has recently been upgraded an...

Reviewed Sat 12th of July 2008

"This hotel has recently been upgraded and in our opion to a high standard, the food and staff where fantastic, the rooms where very comfortable and taste fully done.
I recommend the location far enough away from the main stretch but only 5mins walk and your in the thick of it, although many people may see this as a downside the runway was the other side of the hotel, it didnt spoil our stay there and will deffinatley return , i was having to have treatment at the hospital in palma and the staff at the hotel where very understanding and helpful and hey no kids !!! unless you take hubbie........
weather wonderful all week, was there from 21st june to 28th."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of July 2008

The hotel was first class, we had a week...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2007

"The hotel was first class, we had a weeks break in September. On arrival our rooms were ready, clean and airy. The staff were really good thanks to Nick and Simon and of course young Stewart on the desk. The pool was lovely and you could not drag us away from it during the day. The evening entertainment was okay loved the flamenco dancing very erm rousing. Most nights though we did what we always do, went out and about.

Found this excellent little street called (I've written it down just to be sure) 'Carrer Virgili'. It has about a dozen bars in it all English and two Spanish. We found the popular Inn Cahoots Irish Pub. The Guinness was as they say in Dublin (in good order). Music was excellent with Liam finding almost anything you wanted. Although we liked the food at the Luz we opted for Sunday lunch at Inn Cahoots, wow don't miss it, Lorna is a wonderful cook and everything was home-made even the to die for cheesecake. Thanks to those guys we had a wonderful holiday their bar prices were very good with large measures.

All in all a very good holiday, we understand that the Luz is upgrading next year, well we'll be upgrading too, it was a lovely stay and we'll be back. A great relaxing week thanks Luz."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

I recently stayed in this hotel. I have...

Reviewed Thu 31st of May 2007

"I recently stayed in this hotel. I have stayed in this hotel before so thought I knew what to expect.

I had booked a single room and a double room but when we arrived they hadn't the single room on their list. However it was all sorted out to everyone’s satisfaction by the next day and they were very apologetic and helpful.

The hotel and rooms were clean and the maid service was excellent. However this time the hotel was let down by the food which had always been good before.

The breakfast was good with a good selection of cooked items, but a poor selection of cereals.

The dinner however I felt was not as good as before, and did tend to be on the cool side though by the time I left I felt that it was improving.

As it is a hotel not in British travel brochures but people tend to return because it had a good reputation, I don't think that they are doing themselves any favours by allowing the standard of their food to slip.

The hotel is in very close proximity to the airport so some people may find it noisy but it didn't bother me as I live near an airport anyway.

Some rooms face the airport and Palma and some face the other way over the swimming pool and towards Arenal."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of May 2007

Have just come back from Marina Luz and...

Reviewed Mon 7th of May 2007

"Have just come back from Marina Luz and overall, we were quite pleased with our stay there.

The hotel was very clean and the maids came everyday and changed the towels and cleaned up etc. The rooms were a good size with fantastic views from the balcony of the pool area and the sea.

We were a little disappointed with the food. The breakfasts were everything you could ask for from continental to full English, with juice and hot drinks available in buffet style.

However, early on in the in the week the evening meals were not that good with limited variety but it seemed as soon as May 1st came it did improve with more choice, with meat being carved by the chef.

Once again that was buffet style, with soup or salads as starters with a wide selection of desserts.

The bar area was very nice, but once again the drink prices went up a lot on may1st which we felt was very poor. A large beer and coke was 3 Euros 50 while in April but went up to 5 Euros 40 in May which we felt was abit of a con.

There was evening entertainment on every night which had abit for everybody and was in general was quite good.

The pool area was very good with ample sunbeds for all with a lifeguard on patrol.

I have read reports that some people were upset with the aircraft noise but I can honestly say that it did not bother us at all, and found it quite interesting to see the planes come and go.

Can Pastilla itself was ok but there was not that many bars open in the evening, but perhaps that would improve during the summer months.

The resort was literally 5 minutes away from the airport which was ideal if you’re booking independently like we did. We used Go2spain to book the hotel and found them to be the cheapest.

Overall, we don’t think we would go back to the resort as there wasn't very much to do in the evening or if the weather is abit iffy.

But I would recommend the hotel, as the price we paid was very good for the quality we got."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of May 2007

We went to the Luz just for a mini break...

Reviewed Thu 26th of April 2007

"We went to the Luz just for a mini break, expecting it to be very quiet for the time of year, not realising that it was holiday season for the Spanish pensioners, so the hotel was busy.

Our room was lovely and clean and the staff were all very friendly, because of our passion for eating out, we only participated in the morning for our breakfast, which was lovely, they know how to make a cup of tea!

In the evenings we strolled around the resort and found a street of British owned bars called Calle Virgili, we found what we thought to be the best bar in this street, called Inn Cahoots, not your average Irish bar but very tasteful.

I would say something for everyone and the food, they have an Irish menu or an Indian menu is all homemade and huge portions.

We will be going back to both the Luz and will be back to Inn Cahoots."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of April 2007

Fred Elliot steals the show

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"My wife and I booked a week here after reading the previous TA reviews and most of what we had read was true. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the staff are excellent, potential problems are sorted, booked in very early, (our room was ready), needed extra pillows, (immediate), toilet seat was cracked, (replaced the same day).

We had read that the food was "fantastic", it is good, varied and plentiful but hardly fantastic, it is also very "English". Personally I do not want to come to Spain and eat roast beef accompanied by terrible Yorkshire puds. The evening entertainment was varied and we felt sorry for the excellent Bulgarian dance troupe who's audience was considerably less than that watching the death of Fred Elliot in Coronation St !!!.

Much has been made of the closeness of the hotel to the airport and the convenience and ease of transfer cannot be overstated. If aircraft noise concerns you this hotel will probably have already been eliminated from your plans. Personally it doesn't worry us too much and I can now spot my Spanair from my Luxair from my Swissair without a second glance. It is a sobering thought that even in Mid-October there were >5000 aircraft movements in Palma airport over the weekend.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, if you are able, make sure you hire bikes and make use of the superb cycle track that runs unbroken from Arenal to Palma."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of October 2006

LITTLE GEM

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Just come back from a weeks stay at the Marina Luz and can recommend this hotel for value and quality. A great 3 star, close to the airport so cheap taxi fares @ 13 Euros, bus fare to Palma 1.10 euro. Hotel food excellent, great choice. Staff very friendly and hotel and rooms very clean and comfortable. Hotel set in a residential area but bars can be found in a short walking distance. Recommend the Tavern run by Bernard, friendly welcome and just a short walk from the hotel with good views of the bay of Can Pastilla."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of October 2006

I agree with previous comments re. the standard of food

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"My husband & I have just spent a very happy 10 days at this hotel. The staff really are wonderfully friendly and helpful and the rooms very comfortable and clean. As the hotel is not located on or close to the beach the pool area was very busy and it was often difficult to find a sun lounger. This wasn't a serious problem for us because we spent a lot of time exploring Palma (a comfortable 20/25 minute ride on the bus) or using a hire car to visit other parts of the island. A minor irritant was having to pay cash every time we bought a drink or snack and not being able to sign for them and pay at the end our our stay.

Our real BIG CRITICISM however was the quality of the food. Both the lunch time snack food and the restaurant evening meals. Having read the comments dated 26th July by a reviewer from Manchester concerning the decline in quality over the past few years, we can fully understand what he/she was saying. We were extremely disappointed. At dinner there was a vast choice of dishes but none of it particularly well cooked or presented. (One quick example was an apple crumble with raw apples). Also bearing in mind that we were on a Spanish island we only ever saw 3 Spanish dishes on offer during the whole 10 days. The lunchtime menu was also disappointing. A little imagination would have gone a long way. My tuna salad consisted of half a tin of tuna, three slices of tomato, 5 olives and one lettice leaf!

Having said all this we did however enjoy our stay. It was a high standard 3 star hotel representing very good value for money (even if used as a bed/breakfast option) with great staff."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

Loved Hotel Marina Luz

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We were very happy with our choice of accommodation at the Hotel Marina Luz. Not only was it a five minute drive from the airport, but it was right on this great little bike path that lead into Palma. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful; the breakfast and dinners were varied and delicious (and had a table of non-meat dishes for us vegetarians -- hard to come by in meat-loving Spain); and the pool w/ bar service was great. We liked it there so much, we spent more time at the pool than on the beaches. The ease and comfort of staying at this hotel made our trip just that much better."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Very impressed

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I was very impressed. The views from the room were simply breathtaking and I truly felt like I was in paradise (we stayed in room 414). The rooms themselves were simple but unbelievably clean. It's a beach hotel, so I imagine sand can be a problem, but the staff washed the floors daily (moved furniture and all) and everything was immaculate.

The staff was more attentive than any other staff I have ever seen, and I do travel frequently. And they seemed to do this out of a sincere desire to please as opposed to many American hotels where the desire for a tip underlies most helpful behavior! :) The staff is truly an amazing cross selection of cultures, and I believe that regardless of what language you speak, chances are, someone on the staff speaks it too! When my husband and I arrived late for breakfast (breakfast and dinner are included with your stay), the staff offered to prepare us plates to take up to our rooms. We declined, but the willingness to go out of the way to help is an ever-present quality in seemingly every member of the staff.

Bottom line, we really enjoyed our stay, the location was amazing, and the staff really sent the satisfaction level through the roof. Just wonderful. Thanks!"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006

This hotel is far closer to a 4 star tha...

Reviewed Wed 26th of July 2006

"This hotel is far closer to a 4 star than 3. My wife and I have visited Marina Luz many times and have never been disappointed by the hotel.

The food is wonderful with plenty of choice daily. The hotel is spotless with enthusiastic staff who work hard to please all the guests. Last year was the last time First Choice supports this hotel but if we get the right deal we shall certainly visit the Marina Luz again.

The large beach is only a few minutes walk away with all the bars shops and everything you can imagine just a short walk. Go on spoil yourself and have a great time here."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of July 2006

Hotels near AluaSoul Palma

Top traveller tips for AluaSoul Palma

• El Tel by El Tel

"Can Pastilla - ideal for a short break or longer beach holiday. "

AluaSoul Palma is also called