Another great week

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"I was rather suprised to read the last review which sounded nothing like the hotel I stayed at last week. I had already had a lovely week
last October so I had no hesitation in booking another week. My room was spotless everyday and very spacious considering it was a single room. I had a balcony with a sea view. As a single traveller in my 40's I did feel a little out of place at times amongst the older couples but it was never a problem. I didn't stay around the pool as I prefer the beach.

One of the best things about this hotel is that there are no kids and when you teach them all day and have them at home it is nice to get away for a completely relaxing holiday which this was. I found the food excellent with a wide choice to suit everyone even sad people like me who are always on a diet!

The staff were very polite and helpful (especially on the reception- nothing is too much trouble) although the entertainment was not very good quality I do appreiate that it was more to the liking of the older guests. The reps didn't have much idea but it is quite early into the season and maybe they will get better! I have also booked another week in July.
Gill"

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

Well, if this was a true example of Thom...

Reviewed Fri 18th of May 2007

"Well, if this was a true example of Thomson Gold, I don’t think I’ll bother again thanks!

The mattresses were rock solid, the rooms had no soundproofing – we were kept awake by people just talking next door, if they dared open their patio doors it sounded like a thunderstorm!

The meals were mediocre. Two reasonably good nights – the ‘Majorcan’ and the ‘Gala’, I think they were called. Otherwise it was stewed chicken, stewed beef or stewed pork in one form or another. And yes, all with chips!

We were told we could use room cards to charge our wine, drinks etc on, yet there seemed certain reluctance by staff to go along with this. Despite putting our room card on the table several times we still got given a bill. Possibly something to do with the fact they were unlikely to get a tip the room card way?

In our case, one of the reps told my husband a trip was 45 Euros, but when he went to pay it was 63 Euros, and when questioned about the itinerary of the day it became apparent he had absolutely no idea what it was.

Fortunately, in my husband’s case, the trip turned out far better than his description of it! When we complained about the hard bed, he just laughed!

The ‘resident duo’ singers seemed interested in entertaining each other, but nobody else. They spent more time talking to each other than singing!!

Room cleaning – hmm, basic to say the least. The floor wasn’t swept during the entire week we were there. There was a large smear on our mirror the first day; it remained there the whole week.

My husband accidentally cut himself shaving and got blood on the towel. He put it in the bath to be replaced, but when we came back later, it had been replaced on the towel rail! To be fair the rest of the hotel was clean and the pool and poolside were kept immaculate.

Possibly the best part, if only for amusement value, was the problem with the pool. Some kind of problem with the chlorine I believe. I got off lightly as only my bikini turned green, lots of others had their hair turn green!

We have both stayed in a number of hotels with work, I’m afraid this didn’t even come up to 3 star to be honest."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of May 2007

Oh dear, never 4*...

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

Yes, the hotel was ‘nice’, the staff were certainly very pleasant, hard-working and helpful… but !!!

The mattresses were rock solid, the rooms had no soundproofing – we were kept awake by people just TALKING next door, if they dared open their patio doors it sounded like a thunderstorm!

The meals were mediocre. Two reasonably good nights – the ‘Majorcan’ and the ‘Gala’, I think they were called. Otherwise it was stewed chicken, stewed beef or stewed pork in one form or another. And yes, all with chips ! Puddings along the line of tapioca, blancmange, bread and butter pudding, blancmange, jelly, blancmange, etc., etc., It was like living in an old age pensioners’ home !

We were told we could use room cards to charge our wine, drinks etc., on, yet there seemed a certain reluctance by staff to go along with this. Despite putting our room card on the table several times we still got given a bill. Possibly something to do with the fact they were unlikely to get a tip the room card way?

Entertainment? Well the reps certainly worked their socks off, particularly Kirsty who deserves a medal for her aqua-aerobics! She was BORN to be a holiday rep! As for the daytime ‘games’. Errrrr, toss the beanbag? Craig – supposedly lead rep – upset a number of people with duff info. In our case, he told my husband a trip was 45 euros, but when he went to pay it was 63 euros, and when questioned about the itinerary of the day it became apparent he had absolutely no idea what it was. Fortunately, in my husband’s case, the trip turned out far better than his description of it ! When we complained about the hard bed, he just laughed !

The ‘resident duo’ singers seemed interested in entertaining each other, but nobody else. They spent more time talking to each other than singing !!

Room cleaning – hmmmmmmm, basic to say the least. The floor wasn’t swept during the entire week we were there. There was a large smear on our mirror the first day; it remained there the whole week. My husband accidentally cut himself shaving and got blood on the towel. He put it in the bath to be replaced, but when we came back later, it had been replaced on the towel rail !! To be fair the rest of the hotel was clean and the pool and poolside were kept immaculate.

Possibly the best part, if only for amusement value, was the problem with the pool. Some kind of problem with the chlorine I believe. I got off lightly as only my bikini turned green, lots of others had their HAIR turn green !! Police and fire officers were seen there one night, allegedly called by the hotel, but things didn’t improve.

• Travel date: Thu 17th of May 2007

First visit to a Thomsons Gold Hotel and...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of May 2007

"First visit to a Thomsons Gold Hotel and won’t be the last.

Camp de Mar is a small friendly resort just right for relaxing, lovely sandy beach a few small shops and only 2-3 bars, I would say it is great for adults but older children might find it a little too quiet.

The Camp de Mar hotel has very good food the entertainment is ok and is on every night, some nights better than others.

But on the whole good, activities around the pool all day long and you are not pestered to join in.

All in all a great hotel at a great location. Booked again for 2007. "

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of May 2007

First Time "Gold"

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"This was very generously given to my husband and I by our daughter as a joint 60th birthday present!! It was our first time on a Thomson Gold. She was anxious that we had a relaxing peaceful holiday without young children as we had become grandparents to four children within a very short period and needed a rest. We were very impressed with the service from the moment we checked in till the moment we checked out. The staff were all very friendly from the Manager down, nothing was too much trouble. The hotel itself was very clean and the restaurant was spotless all the time, tablecloths whiter than white and tables constantly cleared. The food was very good and believe me both my husband and I are very picky eaters, in fact it's the first place we'd been to that we could find a selection to have at all meals. We live on an island that is renowned for its fresh locally farmed meat and fish and shellfish straight from the sea so I think we are in a position to know what good food is. People who moan about chips should know that there is far more selection than just chips, they don't have to eat them. . The views from our room were fabulous and that's coming from two people who can see the sea from two sides of our house and mountains on the other sides! There were plenty of sunbeds and parasols at the pool, we had never seen so many parasols at a hotel before so we were quiite pleased about that. At no time did we find the pool crowded, the only time there were a few extra in was during the aqua aerobics etc. The Reps were great especially Simon, they worked really hard. All in all we found it a great place to relax and were quite happy to stay around the hotel all the time. We'd been to Paguera twice before to the Beverly Playa so knew the area fairly well. We hope to go back to the Playa this year and are looking forward to it."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of February 2007

Probably our own fault

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks in June. We had been warned about Gold hotels, but as it seemed in a very good location in a quiet resort we decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a big mistake. I can appreciate why others have given a completely opposite opinion to this, but it just didn't work for us.
While we were there we overheard many complaints about the rooms, mainly relating to size. One particular couple had asked to be moved twice. As is usual for us when they are available we had taken a suite, and although very spacious, the quality of cleaning leaved a lot to be desired, as did the condition of the furniture.
I would also take issue wsith some of the service. The staff seemed all to eager to carry your drinks to your table, but could be very slow when it came to bringing your change. They quickly discovered that I speak Spanish every bit as well as they do, and would immediately shut up when I appeared. I wonder why. The quality of service at the pool bar at lunch times was a complete joke. The staff even managed to lose our food and drink record twice and had to take our word for what we had eaten. The prices though I found to be quite reasonable. I was also appalled to see the management giving in the the desires of the many big "children" there dressed in England football shirts, who took over the bar every time there was a match on. (This was during the World Cup). There was no consideration for anyone who did not want to watch another infernal football match.
Contrary to what has already been said we found the food to be ordinary and repetitive. Chips were on offer every time we ate in the restaurant. This is supposed to be a four star hotel. Also the drinks service in the restaurant was uncertain. It depended very much when you went in. Consequently after one week we dicided to forgo the restaurant, and dined out at the Arco Iris bar at the end of the bay. Excellent food and reasonable prices.
As for the pool, I have never seen one so crowded. There is nowhere near enough space to accommodate the number of sunbeds they try to fit in. Everyone is on top of each other, with absolutely no privacy. We were recently at a four star hotel in Menorca whereby if it was wished to speak to the person on the adjoining sunbed it was necessary to shout, such was the distance between them. This is how it should be. And as for the appalling behaviour of the many who deemed it necessary to queue for ages first thing every morning to get their own little spot, do they not know how to behave properly in what is supposed to be a hotel of some quality. it was aboslutely dreadful.
Personally I would not award this hotel four stars, but for those who are not fussy about food, enjoy playing absurd, childish games, and putting up with indifferent service, it will probably seem ok. On our return we quickly booked another holiday, this time from the trusted a la carte brochure, just to forget this one.
As for the resort, it is beautiful. A lovely bay, superb beach and a few very comfortable bars. It is spoilt by two thumping great hotels, this one and the Riu across the road."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of October 2006

Having just returned from 2 weeks at the...

Reviewed Fri 29th of September 2006

"Having just returned from 2 weeks at the Playa Camp De Mar I can say that I was very impressed with the quality of the hotel, the standard of service and the resort as a whole.

This is a very small resort with 3 large and 1 small hotels, a small number of restaurants/bars, a few shops, golf course and a number of very exclusive villas.

Camp De Mar is in a beautiful location with a small sandy beach surrounded by cliffs and backed by wooded mountains. The setting of the Playa Camp De Mar is ideal overlooking the beach and the bay, it really is worth making sure you have a sea view.

The hotel is a Thomson Gold, hence no children and during our stay was 100% British, mainly couples over 50. This is not a young person's resort unless you like it very quiet.

The hotel's rooms are exceptionally clean, with satellite TV, including BBC1, BBC2 and ITV and a mini bar. The only thing missing is tea and coffee making facilities. The food was first class with a wide variety served at each meal. The restaurant was open from 6.30 until 9.30 each evening and even if you went in at 9.00 there was always a full range of food available. The restaurant has a good selection of wines from around 12 Euros a bottle.

Lunch time meals were taken at one of the small bars in the resort. These generally served pasta, omelettes, salads or fish for between 6 and 12 Euros.

There are plenty of sun loungers around the pool, however people still insist on putting towels on their lounger at 8.30 each morning. The Thomson reps also arrange entertainment throughout the day around the pool area, aqua-aerobics, quizzes, etc.

However we preferred to sit on the beach, 7.20 Euros for 2 loungers and an umbrella each day. The beach is exceptionally clean being raked every morning. When a couple of storms washed sea weed on to the beach over night this was promptly cleared the next day. The sea is crystal clear and perfect for swimming with a gently shelving sandy sea floor.

The evening entertainment is on a stage on the pool terrace with a regular duet singing from 8.00 and then either the Thomson team or an outside entertainer from 9.45 until 11.00. The standard was generally very good, especially the Thomson team, a team of African dancers being the only flop.

There is an excellent local bus service to Port Andraxt and Palma, every 30 mins between 10.00am and 5.00pm. The fare to Palma was 3.65 Euros, however if you do go to Palma you need to catch the bus back at the bus station because no standing is allowed on the bus as it travels on the motorway. All the buses arriving at the Cathedral stop were full and we were unable to get on.

It is an easy to walk to Pageura, about 20mins, through the woods. See the person at the Tourist Information kiosk in Camp De Mar for directions.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Playa Camp De Mar to anyone seeking a quiet, relaxing holiday at a very good hotel in a beautiful location. The scores given to this hotel in the Thomson brochure do not lie.

• Travel date: Fri 29th of September 2006

First time at this resort, plenty of loc...

Reviewed Mon 11th of September 2006

"First time at this resort, plenty of local walks, and NO children. There is varied entertainment with something for everyone. The staff are all very helpful with very good English spoken by everyone.

The pool was very cold but the sea was warmer so it was easier to swim there. If they keep the same entertainment staff & reps this hotel would warrant 5 stars as this would never have been a holiday without either.

The food was of very high quality & a superb choice was always on offer.

• Travel date: Mon 11th of September 2006

the truth, the whole truth

Good
Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"My husband and I have just returned frrom the above hotel. We are a childless couple in our fifties and were recommended to try a Thompson Gold Holiday.
We decided to try Camp De Mar in Majorca as I had been working in travel for eleven years and knew Majorca very well.
When we arrived the Thompson team greeted us with a smile and we were very much looked after from the beginning to the end of the holiday.
This hotel was ideally situated on a bay which had the most stunning scenery we have ever visited.
Our bedroom was situated on the first floor with views of the sea and the luxurious villas opposite that overlooked the bay. We were delighted to be able to wake up every morning to such a beautiful view.
However our bedrooms weren't large but were well equipped with all the mod cons that anyone would need including hairdryer, minibar and Sky television. There was also a complimentary bottle of still mineral water awaiting for us on our arrival which was very welcoming.
The restaurant was well set out with lovely views and the food was delicious and plentiful, especially when they had their Majorcan evenings.
The outside grounds were spotless and there was plenty of seating for everyone... except there was a problem with this hotel as the British people were worse than the Europeans and were queuing from 8.30 every morning waiting for the doors to open so that they could put down their towel and reserve their chairs, umbrellas and tables for the day! It was laughable to watch. There was almost a stampede every morning when they went running out to see who could claim the best view for the day.
The day activities were very good and you could join in if you wanted to but weren't pushed. The Thompson Gold team worked very hard to try and please evryone especially Corinne and Melanie. Some people thought it was very hi-di-hi but the daytime activities were very entertaining.
The evening entertainment was run by the Thompson Gold Reps and included singing and game shows and prizes. Although we tried hard we did not win the Thompson Gold Luggage Strap or the Thompson Gold Corkscrew or the oversized tee-shirt that fits no-one!
The professional acts started at around 9.45 and were very good. We and other guests we spoke to would have enjoyed the evening entertainment more if the chairs had been set out into smoking and non-smoking sections as most of the time we non-smokers went to bed with sore eyes and throat and smelled like chimneys!
There were a handful of shops outside the hotel and nice walks around the bay. If you are looking for pubs and bars and lively nightlife outside of the hotel then this is not the place for you.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel.
The Manager's generosity to guests was the best we have ever experienced. If they could just sort out a few of the little problems that we have mentioned that this hotel has then I'm sure it would receive excllent reviews in the future.
We hope to return some time in the near future and hope these changes have been made."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of August 2006

Great holiday

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"My husband and I really enjoyed our holiday here. Arriving at 2am the porter was very pleasant and offered us food if required. Our room was very nice and the balcony looked out on the beautiful bay.

We were staying half board and the food was fantastic. There was a Mallorcan evening and Chinese evening in the seven days we stayed. Breakfast and dinner were buffet style with various items cooked on view.

Camp de Mar is a very small resort with four hotels some shops and restaurants, definitely not the place to go if you need nightlife. We visited nearby Pugeira one afternoon but otherwise stayed at the hotel, as it was too hot to do much else. We were on a Thomson Gold holiday; the evening entertainment was varied and provided by UK acts supplemented by the reps.

Rooms were cleaned daily and the hotel staff was all pleasant and helpful. The Manager appeared at our welcome meeting and again at the farewell, this was a pleasant touch and he is obviously keen for his hotel to meet with guests’ approval.

Something we did find very amusing was the race for sunbeds at 8.30am when the doors to the terrace opened. There were enough to go round so we remain unsure as to why it happened! The reps did request that people not leave sunbeds with towels booking them for extended periods of time but it still persisted.

Our flight home was late in the evening so having vacated our room for 12 noon and spent the afternoon at the pool the hotel provided us with the use of a room to shower and change, at no extra charge – very welcome!

We returned to Scotland relaxed and ready to plan our next Gold holiday.

S & R, Aberdeen"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of August 2006

Great setting, Hotel food good and plent...

Reviewed Mon 3rd of July 2006

"Great setting, Hotel food good and plentiful. Had one week here as an extra holiday. Hotel staff very helpful and friendly.

We have never had to complain about rooms before and have traveled with Thomson a few times. This is sold as a 4 star hotel, however if you are unlucky to be placed in rooms 101, 201, 301 etc then you will be very disappointed. The room we had, 101 was a double as we had requested but you could barely walk around the bed. It faced the street, not a problem in it's self but very noisy with bus traffic frequently.

The hotel was allegedly full when we complained, the Thomson rep insisting that the hotel staff were responsible for allocating rooms, however that was not the case. I was told that I got what I paid for by Thomson's reps and they could not help us move rooms. The following day the hotel receptionist was extremely helpful and moved us to a quieter and larger room. I suggest you ask for a twin room as they are bigger.

Other couples were also complaining about these particular rooms but when I asked the rep to come up to the room to see what I meant he dismissed the complaint, we filled in a complaint form to hopefully prevent the company using this block of rooms as they fall well below standard for a 4 star hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of July 2006

the perfect holiay

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"my husband and i have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel - an absolute pleasure, the hotel more than lives up to its brochure description, no children - great, all the guests were british - again great - the food had to be seen to be believed, champagne for breakfast and all english food, cooked well, served piping hot and the service was excellent. the cleanliness of the hotel was excellent, the entertainment was first class - acts flown in from the UK and professional acts from the area, the reps were supbeb, 7 reps in attendance at the hotel and in attedance every day, all day, except for 1 1/2 in the afternoon, when they were off rehearsing for the evenings entertainment. Well done Thompson Gold we shall not go on anything else but Gold again. The area is quiet, so if you are looking for night clubs its not for you but if you want first class service in a first class hotel you could not pick anywhere better. There are several good restaurants and bars - pepes bar is great for a drink or for snacks. There are several shops opposite the hotel, including a newsagents and the taxi rank is right outside the hotel, although we took the local bus to many of the nearby places and also went on the organised trips. Would recommend ths hotel to anyone who likes to be looked after and is not too bothered about nightclubs, the entertainment in the hotel is more than sufficent. we shall return to this hotel without a doubt"

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of June 2006