This was our first time and categoricall...

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2008

"This was our first time and categorically the last to this hotel that was described as quiet and relaxing. For travellers arriving in High Season beware because you will not get to sleep before 12.30am or even 1.00am
Even during the day the Thomsons Reps dressed up in flared green lurex suits with Afro wigs and equipped with loud speakers disrupted the possible serenity of a quiet sunbathe.
The food genuinely looked good and the staff were attentive. We could have saved ourselves over £2,000 and just gone out for some pub grub which would have been better,
For those of you who like Paper Lace and the Barron Knights at ear-shattering volumes by all means come to this hotel.
Please note that I had to give a rating of 1 because what I really wanted to give isn't an option. For those people like us who enjoy peace and quiet.......
Welcome to Hell on Earth"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of January 2008

Returned home on 29th September after a...

Reviewed Fri 5th of October 2007

"Returned home on 29th September after a very disappointing week at this hotel. The location was just as in the brochure and we had a very good sea view. We chose this Thomson Gold holiday because the resort was small and we hoped that this meant quiet, it was, except for the Hotel.

The walls were very thin and this meant that we could hear almost everything that went on in the rooms either side of ours and possibly beyond that. We had a TV one side until midnight and on the other side at 06.30, plus when the entertainment finished we had the sound of guests obviously on the tipsy side shouting and worse echoing through the floors and walls.

Why the entertainment had to be so loud is beyond me I would have thought that it could be heard 10 miles out to sea and if you were not deaf when you went, you would be after! The only good thing was that there was a local restriction that the outdoor entertainment had to finish by 23.30pm.

We are vegetarians and therefore expect some difficulties with the food, however, where the 96% food rating came from in the Gold brochure came from is a mystery to me. There was one token vegetarian dish each night, nothing very exciting and the week that we stayed we did not see any fresh vegetables served. They were all tinned or frozen. The salad bar was adequate however the previous evenings vegetables were quite often on the salad bar, even cold brussel sprouts.

This is our 4th Gold holiday and by far the most disappointing, there are better, so if you are vegetarian or want a quiet holiday this one may not be the one for you.

• Travel date: Fri 5th of October 2007

We had 2 weeks at the Playa Camp De Mar,...

Reviewed Tue 11th of September 2007

"We had 2 weeks at the Playa Camp De Mar, a little rain for a few days in the first week then weather very good 38-40 most days so very good.

Hotel very clean, food good but not much variety on the potato front . The room we had was fine but the balcony was tiny, my other half is 6ft 2 & 16st so he had it to himself. The pool great and beach lovely. Staff in hotel were polite and very helpful, bar staff second to none. We had lots of days out so enjoyed the holiday very much, we will definitely go back again."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2007

My wife and I booked at this hotel for 1...

Reviewed Fri 7th of September 2007

"My wife and I booked at this hotel for 1 week commencing 30/08/07 after a recommendation from a friend. The hotel was supposedly 4 star and we are very surprised at its rating.

We were booked into room 101 !! Which when we saw it we were absolutely astounded. The room was the size of a box room in a small house. The room was on the bottom floor of the hotel and the balcony opened up onto a taxi rank and car park. The noise for most of the night was horrendous.

We complained to the rep and she approached the management of the Hotel and all they offered was a move to a room above us which made us no better off.

We then made a decision to make the best of a bad job and use the rest of the facilities at the Camp de Mar and never to use Thomson holidays again.

• Travel date: Fri 7th of September 2007

This is the best Thomson Gold holiday we...

Reviewed Thu 23rd of August 2007

"This is the best Thomson Gold holiday we have ever been to.
The staff we excellent and very helpful, from the manager to the pool staff to the hotel cleaners. Nothing was too much trouble.

The entertainment was exceptionally good! Kirsten and Claire (Gold Hosts) worked very hard and the resident Duo (Reaction) played a huge variety of music to suit all tastes and had us up dancing every night!

I would give this hotel 5 stars due to the fantastic staff all round!

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

This is the best Thomson Gold holiday we...

Reviewed Thu 23rd of August 2007

"This is the best Thomson Gold holiday we have ever been to. The staff were excellent and very helpful, from the manager to the pool staff to the hotel cleaners, nothing was too much trouble.

The entertainment was exceptionally good! Kirsten and Claire (Gold Hosts) worked very hard and the resident duo (Reaction) played a huge variety of music to suit all tastes and had us up dancing every night!

I would give this hotel 5 stars due to the fantastic staff all round!

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

Well as a earlier comments said. We wer...

Reviewed Mon 16th of July 2007

"Well as a earlier comments said. We were also disappointed with this part of our holiday after spending a week on the Thomson Celebration cruise ship(fantastic) we were looking forward to a relaxing week by the pool. I have never seen anything like the "queuing for the sun bed" at 8am from our,shall we say older generation, it was laughable, really to watch from our balcony. One morning we got up early to go into breakfast but we could not get out of the lift for the queue!! They also put their towels down in a queue if they didn't fancy waiting. Then when the man came to unlock the door it was like the Harrods sale. We also had to change rooms down to the ELDERLY man next door decided to call his wife all the names under the sun(and I mean the worst swear words that you can imagine)at 1am on 3 nights. When we went to the reception we were told to come back at 9 which we did. Hence missed our breakfast, to be told no spare rooms. We knew this was not so, so in the end the manager reluctantly moved us 3 doors along but we were told we had 15mins to do this in. I know it was not the hotels fault but I think a little bit more could have been done, hence all I wanted to do was pack up. We also had a gentleman pass away at the pool side which was upsetting but didn't seem to bother reps or staff!!

The hotel is nice, the food ok ,nothing special (boy can some of those older people eat). On waiting for the transfer to the airport which took longer than the flight home, and I am not joking, we were asked by the rep (who was off duty) would we come back....guess the answer.

Try it you might enjoy it but we are not ready for an old peoples home by the sea just yet."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

This holiday was fantastic when it came...

Reviewed Sun 1st of July 2007

"This holiday was fantastic when it came to relaxing! It was my first adult only hotel and I now could never go back to a normal hotel now unless going with kids myself.

Had great view as it was right on the beach and the pool area was great, really peaceful and no kids running around and splashing which was great.

I didn’t think food was great at all! Which is where the problems start because it’s such a quiet area and no normal bars around to just go eat in!

And as it’s a quiet area it can sometimes be quite boring, the only way to have a bit of fun was to go to nearby resorts such as Magaluf but who wants to have t travel for a bit of normal life!

This resort is great for older people. I am only twenty and even though I enjoyed the relaxing side of it I would now only go to larger resorts.

If you’re considering opting for a double room.. DON’T! They are tiny and don’t have the best sea view- I got a corner of the sea and a street below me.

On my last day I saw the size of a twin room and couldn’t believe how large they were and think all twins were above the pool and had great sea view.

We complained on first night about the room cos it was so tiny and view was awful and the bathroom door was broken, it wouldn’t shut! I was with my partner but still I would much prefer my own space. But they didn’t move us or fix the door.

This is great for people who really do just want to relax and can just stick with the same hotel food- which isn't great unless you like chips!

So the hotel was great but my room, food, and area failed it. And if you are under the age of 35 be prepared for being snubbed and getting funny looks!"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2007

Playa Camp de Mar - Top Hotel

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"PLAYA CAMP DE MAR - TOP HOTEL

In June 2006 i did a cruise and stay at the Thomson Gold Levante Park at Calla Bona and was dissapointed. This year in June 2007 I cruised on the Celebration (FANTASTIC) followed by a week at the Playa Camp de mar. Now then, this resort is a small location set in an unspoilt cove with a total of 6 hotels, 6 shops and three bars, it is not lively in the slightest. The hotel is set on the beach with a security gate and has wonderful views, the pool is one of the best I have been in for a long time and the surrounding area is well laid out with more than enough beds for everyone no matter the time of day. The prices within the hotel bars are reasonable and the dining room is large and again one of the most efficient I have been to for a while.The food was excellent both morning and evening- you chose where you sat.

The entertainment ???- Well as a very active mid 40's person there were places to go walking or running in the nearby hills. There is a large golf course adjacent to the hotel (I don't know the arrangements for playing however).

I felt let down last year -(games for the very old only) but not at the Playa camp de mar. I was highly impressed by the Thomson team at this hotel particularly Claire and Kirstin who were great motivators. There were plenty of pool activities and tennis etc but the evening entertainment was 1st class. In 30 years of travelling this is the 1st time I havn't gone out of the hotel at night. There were different shows every night, everyone of which was superb. The Thomson team worked hard at getting participation from everyone and a lot of fun was had (and a few prizes along the way).

There is nothing else to add about the resort. It is a small (exclusive) area and there are of course a wide number of excursions available throughout the island.
ROOM- large Fridge/minibar - hairdryer- good shower. Safe 27 euros/ week but 18 of that is returned as deposit.

FINALLY- Thanks to all waiters, restaurant staff etc for their non stop hard work. THIS IS A BRILLIANT HOTEL."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of June 2007

Just returned from a third visit to Hote...

Reviewed Sun 17th of June 2007

"Just returned from a third visit to Hotel Playa Camp De Mar. and having read the report from others, felt compelled to add a review. They obviously stayed at a different hotel!

We have always found the Hotel to be of a very good standard. The staff are very efficient and friendly, we have never had cause to complain about the cleanliness of the room and our towels and bedding were changed on a frequent basis both when we requested clean towels and indeed the towels were replaced even on the day before we left to return home.

The selection of food is excellent and caters for the majority of tastes, always providing a good breakfast and a good selection of salads, fish, meat, vegetables, fruits etc. there is always something for everyone, you would have to be a very fussy eater to find nothing to suit you.

The restaurant staff are particularly pleasant and helpful and are always very prompt with our request for drinks with our meals and there was never a problem in payment.

There are many people who frequent this Hotel on a regular basis and enjoy a lovely relaxing holiday.

My husband and I have again enjoyed a lovely chilled, relaxing holiday away from our normal working life and may well return next year, we find it hard to choose a Hotel that comes up to this standard and it deserves its four star rating.

• Travel date: Sun 17th of June 2007

Second honeymoon

Good
Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Returned to the Playa after 38 years. Still has the lovely views. The hotel is much larger. Nicely decorated. Bedrooms average. The food was excellent. Only thing we found different it was mainly elderly guests. Staff friendly and helpful. Maybe we'll go back in 38 years time and see if anything has changed."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

Enjoyable child free week

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We make no secret of the reason why we occasionally choose to go "Thomson Gold". We both work in a school, our own children are grown up and we love the peace and quiet of a child free environment. We don't do target bean bag or shuffleboard but nobody hassles you to take part and good luck to those to whom the games appeal. The average age of the guests was greater than normal even for a gold (sometimes nicknamed Thomson Old) hotel. Very few people still went to work and many were in their seventies or even eighties. Interestingly the age profile changed in the course of the holiday and as we moved into June the "younger end" (quote from a very pleasant elderly gentleman" started to move in. By this he meant our age (early fifties)! It's a long time since I was referred to in these terms!
The hotel has far more pluses than minuses. Virtually every room (apart from a few at the back which come with a £1 per person per night reduction) has a brilliant view of the bay and the wooded headland. Don't be tempted to save money - we had one of the rear rooms as a courtesy room on the last day and they are vastly inferior. The balconies come with comfortable padded seats and are quite spacious. Room interiors are pleasant and for those who can't go without TV for a week there is a good choice of English channels.
Food was variable. Breakfasts were good but evening dinner disappointed on a couple of occasions due to the lack of "quality meat." The gala dinner was a notable exception - prawns, mussels, carvery beef and delicious and tender duck in orange sauce all on the same night! The previous evening the choice had been Shepherds Pie, bony fish or meatballs. There were soups and salads too plus a reasonable selection of desserts so we certainly didn't starve but I have to say we are used to better in a 4 star hotel.
We particularly enjoyed the local interest programme. This was led by a Canadian lady who has lived on the island for 14 years. She takes walks twice a week to Paguera and Port d'Andraix. There is also a local excursion (half day only) followed by tapas tasting in a nearby bar. For 7 euros 50 you get a large plate of tapas plus an unlimited supply of red and rose wine. It is also a great opportunity to meet people.
The hotel staff are great and cannot do enough to please. They do a superb job. The hotel manager is a very funny man and really makes an effort to get to know the guests.
Probably my biggest gripe was the fact that the smoking area in the hotel was not segregated off from the rest of the place. The entertainment venue was in a cellar across the pool and was entirely no smoking. Smokers congregated therefore around the main hotel bar or in reception. I'm not blaming them - after all large ashtrays were placed there for this purpose. The problem was that smoke travelled up the stairwells and made the atmosphere quite unpleasant. On occasion we could even smell smoke in our room which was opposite the stairs on the 4th floor. Obviously the laws are different from mainland Spain where many hotels have now gone entirely no smoking.
All in all I would recommend the hotel for a relaxing break but feel that a week was probably quite long enough."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2007