Piscina principal vista mar

Get what you pay for

Reviewed 7th September 2016

"Stayed in Sol Mastines, hotel is quite dated but everything worked as it should and in general was clean and tidy, obviously it's not a 5 star hotel. Choice of food was brilliant and always found something to eat. Notice a lot of moaning about staff being rude but I do find a lot of guests are rude to staff, it's a case of treating people as you would like to be treated and there is an obvious language barrier which can make things awkward. If you like the beach there are two lovely beaches close to hotel (can be hard to reach the closest one with a buggy or wheelchair) there are plenty of things to do in and around the complex and surrounding area, nice restaurants and plenty for young children. Really enjoyed my holiday and as all holidays they are what you make of them and you get what you pay for, this was great value for money and it's a busy and lively place, if you want more luxury '' PAY MORE MONEY'' "

• Travel date: 7th September 2016

only stayed 1 nite that was enough

Reviewed 17th September 2014

"Very disappointing 1 night stay in Balmoral then moved to a lovely hotel.Never been to a Spanish Hotel with such rude staff and Manager.Cosmos rep worse than useless.Fair comment would be 1 or 2 star Hotel never 3.To be fair we did get it sorted satisfactory when we returned home."

• Travel date: 16th September 2014

Relaxing hotel you make it what it is!

Reviewed 4th September 2014

"On arrival in the early hours I did think oh god what have we done but after a good nights sleep in one of the Balmoral garden rooms it was a lot brighter in the morning. The room was basic with 2 separate sleeping areas one for us and one for the kids and a bathroom (plenty of hot water available all the time). As we were aware there was no air conditioning ( so why people were moaning about it I do not know it does state this on hotel details) , our room had a TV with BBC world news channel and there were plenty of plug sockets to recharge all the kids essential gadgets and we had a safe in the room ( had to pay for hire). The pool area linked to our part of the hotel was clean and always plenty of sun beds available and there was also an area for daily sporting activities run by the hotel activity staff. There were drinks, ice cream and snacks available for all inclusive guests all day and the buffet style restaurant was very similar everyday but plenty of choice, something for everyone no one went hungry. The hotels activity staff and children's club were brilliant always encouraging but not forcing participation and the shows and mini discos were great for all ages. You could also use all the facilities at the other 2 hotels in the complex but the main pool in these areas were very busy and did get very noisy at times. Yes the hotel was dated and run down in some areas, but from what we saw it was clean and we had no problem with sickness, I sure some people just like to moan about everything and anything, you get what you pay for so if you want 5* air condition and all the mod cons you need to go to a hotel which has these on offer! This was our first All Inclusive holiday in Spain and thought we paid a good price for what we got. "

• Travel date: 3rd September 2014

Disgusting

Reviewed 2nd September 2014

"Unclean and very dated hotel Would not send my worst enemy here Most of my part 4 out of 5 ended with sickness and diarrhea Many other people I'll too Unhygienic in dining areas Bedrooms out of the ark Location lovely view Room basic. Maid service daily, clean towels, make beds, don't really clean Staff mostly friendly Food uncooked, not covered No soap in main toilets for days"

• Travel date: 2nd September 2014

Hell On Earth

Reviewed 27th August 2014

"Didn't expect much for the price but what I did expect was soap in the reception area toilets especially after requesting some be put in there, instead I got told no by reception staff then lied to by the manager, who was clearly out of her depth and fobbed me of about literally everything, when pressed on matters was very rude and refused to come out of her office.. Lots of sickness while I was there, due to,in my opinion shoddy cleaning and lack of cleaning product.. Do yourself a favor, pay a bit more and stay somewhere else."

• Travel date: 27th August 2014

mastines

Reviewed 25th September 2012

"Excellent holiday, transfer time 1hr 15 minutes not bad really. Stayed in the Mastines hotel excellent views, room clean and tidy. Enough sunbeds for everybody. Food was lovely, staff excellent. Use the local bus services and pay at the attractions cheaper than organised excursions, eg caves of drach 13.50 euros bus there and back 7.60euros. Woulld i go back of course a lovely relaxing holiday. "

• Travel date: 24th September 2012

Great holiday had by All

Reviewed 20th September 2012

"we have recently returned from a 10 day all inclusive holiday at the Calas de Mallorca complex with my family (me, hubby, two 21yr old boys and 17yr old daughter) transfer time took 1hr 40minutes on a nice air conditioned coach. (Be prepared, it will take a fair while to get from the airport, it you want to know why…. Look on a map! Self explanatory) We arrived at reception where we had our wristbands put on and were given the keys to our rooms. I must admit I felt my heart drop when we were told we would be staying in the Sol Balmoral (All the reviews had me worried about where we would be staying & to be honest i was praying for Mastines) after a very short onsite mini buss journey with security to our hotel we took out cases up to our rooms which were on the 6th floor, each clean and tidy with a balcony looking out to the sea and overlooking the pool & garden area, a nice size bathroom, all basic but clean (what more did we need, we had no intention of staying in our rooms for the duration of out time there, purely a means to rest & get changed) the patio door had a flip over latch to lock it, & I’m not sure how secure id feel if our room was on ground level. The fan did sway a little but did very well keeping a nice breeze in the room & there was a bit of wood missing in the frame of the bathroom door but none of this had any detrimental effect on our stay. The maids were in every day and kept the rooms lovely and clean changing towels every day if left on the floor. So many people on here moaning about the drink sizes & only being allowed 2 at a time... (We hold a party at home, we use the same size 250ml plastic cups... strange how no one complains or feels the need to have two drinks at once!) We didn’t have a problem with any of the requests set by the management, i.e.: 2 drink rule, no food to be taken from the restaurants... If you saw how unbelievably lazy & greedy some people are, you'd understand why too! The queues at the bar are greatly reduced by limiting the number of drinks allowed & the staff are lovely people who work long hours serving many ignorant, rude and ill-mannered people barking orders at them day and night, leaving their rubbish for everyone else to clear up, there is a bit of a wasp problem no doubt exacerbated by said lazy people not clearing up after themselves. We made every effort to speak to the staff using as much Spanish as we could & they were lovely, they tried to help us with new words, they seemed to appreciate our efforts were very friendly. The food, what can I say? breakfast each day there was an array of continental breakfast items available along with fried, scrambled eggs, omelette, sausage, bacon (much like streaky bacon) beans, tomatoes, mushrooms... cereals, fruit... toast (which you put on a little conveyor toasting machine) one morning a miserable little man was moaning about having to do his own toast! I couldn’t resist giving him a piece of my mind, as I’m sure if someone was indeed there purely to see to his need of toasting bread then I would imagine it would be underdone or overdone either way he would still find a reason to moan! lunch also had an array of many different things to choose from (leading to eyes bigger than belly syndrome) a corner of the restaurant had fresh bread cooked on the premises and soup...There are two griddles where food is cooked in front of house, one had fish each day & the other would have either, beef, pork, chicken steaks etc. cooked constantly whilst the restaurant was open... all other food was brought out from the kitchen and placed into a Bain Marie serving station, constantly topped up or replaced, pizza, chips & spaghetti Bolognese were available every day as was a full array of salad (not just your average green stuff!) so much to choose from, all with little picture cards to tell you what each dish was i.e.: pork, beef, chicken, fish etc. & yes sometimes some of the food was not always as hot as you'd like but there is a microwave available to use, should you feel the need. Lots of gateau’s and other desserts to choose from, including an array of fresh fruit. A self-serve soft drinks machine was available along with beer & wine all on tap. The staff were very attentive and plates were cleared immediately. They did get upset with people taking food out of the dining hall, hardly surprising really when it clearly states it is forbidden! (There is so much food available all day long; we could not understand why anyone would feel the need to do this anyway!) I was however a little dismayed to find we could only eat at the hotel in which we were staying, we would have liked to see what if any differences there were in each of the hotels on the complex, you can however get drinks from all of them & can use all other pools and sunbeds in each... Which leads me on to the sunbeds, YES they are chained at night, YES they do unlock them in the morning after they have hosed down the hard floor areas, furniture and cleaned the pools... IF you are desperate enough to want to be like sardines all squeezed in directly surrounding the pool then YES you may well need to queue with all the other desperate sardines! Otherwise there are plenty of sunbeds available on the complex whatever time of day you choose to go and lay on one and plenty of areas to lounge in the sun. There are two lovely beach coves one to the left of the complex (near where a father & son sadly lost their lives, at the rocky area at the bottom of a set of steps the day we arrived) The cove itself appears to be the quieter of the two, more rocky underfoot in the sea in this cove, whereas the cove round to the right (about 10 minutes away) is busier, but with rock free sandy beach underfoot, both are beautiful with lots to explore. There is a little shopping area to venture into, which sells all your usual holiday souvenirs, clothes, bags, cigarettes & alcohol. There are a few restaurants and bars too, along with a supermarket. Entertainment is on most days & evenings in the Chihuahuas & Balmoral… & the entertainment team are superb. On the day we checked out we weren’t due to leave until later that night & I was worried that we would no longer be all inclusive once we checked out of our room at 12 o’clock… however we were pleasantly surprised to find our bands were not removed and we were able to enjoy everything just as we had, right up until we left on out transfer coach to the airport which only took an hour and 15 minutes. We have experienced holidays in this country and abroad & to be honest this was our first experience of an all-inclusive abroad, I can honestly say I could not have fed and watered my family for 10 days on anywhere near the price we paid for our holiday & our rooms were no better or worse than when we have paid top price for accommodation on a Haven Holiday… I have tried to give an honest review of this complex and would happily recommend to likeminded people, friends and family. If you want to find fault, you will, but bear in mind the price you pay…& remember, ultimately your holiday is what YOU make it! P.s I have tried to obtain fish & meats now that we are home to try to recreate some of the lovely dishes we enjoyed on holiday… I am failing terribly… it costs too much!"

• Travel date: 19th September 2012

Fab realxing holiday

Reviewed 10th September 2012

"Dont know what a lot of people are complaining about 5 of us where there in july 2012.3 Adults, 2 Kids and had a fab time. Food - Plenty of choice, could always find something to eat, What entertainment we went to we had no complaints, rooms are basic but clean, we were allocated the chihuahas but visited the other 2. 2 drinks per person but this was fine, how many do you need at the one time! My only negative would be that they could be doing with air con in rooms has the ceiling fan did nothing for the heat at night but apart from that we all had a fabby time."

• Travel date: 9th September 2012

CHECK IN HERE IF YOU WANT YOUR STUFF STOLEN!

Reviewed 4th September 2012

"Well here goes!!!! Our advice - book a private transfer, cuts 1 1/2hrs off transfer time! Check in was fine although staff looked as though they couldn't be bothered. Were briefly shown to our room which was stifling hot, no air con and the fans that were in the rooms were noisy but if you beat them they did quieten down enough to get to sleep. Had to sleep with the balcony doors open all night but still woke up in pools of sweat! If you want a so called '2 bedroom' room then I wouldn't exactly call it that, no doors on the rooms just an open plan apartment with no privacy to get dressed. Children and adults may as well be sleeping in the same room! If you did want privacy to get dressed you would have to use the sauna of a bathroom which then meant you would need another shower! Nowhere in the children's bedroom to put clothes so lived out of a crumpled suitcase all week! Balmoral apartments very tired and run down...view from balcony of a massive overgrown oak tree...GREAT!!!! THEFTS- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! We decided on the first morning to go down to the chihauhau's pool and set up camp on the grass bank, plenty of sunbeds and pools clean, HOWEVER, we had all our beach bags stolen as we took a quick dip. Came back to our beds to find everything gone! Raced to reception with frantic panic and sick feeling to be greeted by the most unhelpful, rude, arrogant manager I have ever come across! Pedro J.Vaquer Riera. ;0( Explained to him what had happened in HIS hotel and he basically couldn't give a damn. He just rubbed his hands together when telling us we had to pay 75 euros to have the locks changed on the room and the safe. He would not call the police or do anything to help us, we then had to pay 55 euros to get a taxi to the police station to report the crime in HIS hotel!!! Dispicable!! Probably our own naive stupidity but have never had a problem in other countries! During the week we heard of other thefts and realised how lucky we were to only have our kindle,sunglasses, camera and money taken as other people had their rooms and safes completely emptied before they realised their bags had been taken. The reception staff are rude and once you are there will not do anything to help you whatsoever!!! Should you have a night flight like us then the hotel has no secure area to keep your luggage after check out which is 12pm, after what happened to us we had no confidence whatsoever to leave it in a unlocked room. After an altercation with said manager again and many crossed words he decided to let us keep our room longer(normally a charge of 35 euros) money,money,money to this man! No security to be seen at this hotel apart from at the pool between 4-8 when most people are packing up to get ready for tea! The bar - only allowed 2 items at a time and thats ok if you are their just as a couple, if you have children it is a whole different story! An adult has to go up endless times to get everyone in your party what they need in the never ending queue! Bar staff 50/50, pot luck if you get a happy one or a grumpy one who literally throws it at you. Bar closes at 12am prompt and god forbid should after that time you just need water! The good points - the food was OK,the usual for a 3 star. All needs catered for and you won't starve for a week, the air con in the restaurant was welcome, however food very salty and the chef does tend to sweat on the grill. Pools warm and clean.. the nearby beach was fantastic, best day that we had. Small town of shops and bars which was only a short walk away. Entertainment was lively and they put a lot of effort into the shows. All in all, I would never stay here again due to the manager and staff attitudes. May they be stung by the thousands of wasps and fall down all the slippery steps. This was our honest experience and the choice is yours!!!!!!!!! "

• Travel date: 2nd September 2012

great for a family holiday

Reviewed 28th August 2012

"Apart from a really long journey to this resort there isn't much you can say unpossitve about it. We stayed in the Balmoral which I would say was the most pleasent...the staff were all very polite whilst in the other 2 hotels on the resort I found them more blunt and unfriendly.There was great entertainment including a scary show which was incredible although did scare my 2 children. The food was great and you had a wide variety to choose from...we were able to use all the facilities in every hotel except we had to eat in the hotel that we were placed to. The cleaning was good although the bed sheets wasn't changed frequently. It would have been nicer if the beack was just a little bit closer however there was a train which did take us all around to nearby places which was great fun....it took us to the town, the beach and other areas for only 4.50 euros (return) I would definately come again as long as i knew i was getting the balmoral hotel. I reccomend it to everyone although youngsters may prefer a different hotel as it wasn't quite lively enough for people that age."

• Travel date: 27th August 2012

The good and the ugly.

Reviewed 15th August 2012

"Tired after the three and a half hour transfer (one hour waiting on coach) We arrived at the complex and had a fantastic meal to revive us. The area is really nice. Scenic with a busy selection of bars and shops nearby. The hotel was comfortable with great food. The first few days were very pleasant before it all went downhill. Some of the staff were amazingly rude and one (take note Rafaella) was nasty and aggressive to the point of being offensive enough to warrant a complaint to the manager. She does not like the British at all. Many complaints of watered down drinks were lodged by a lot of all inclusive guests. Wine at mealtimes suddenly turned to cleaning fluid and water, even soft drinks were watered down. It was a shame as otherwise this would have been a good place to holiday. Would not go there again mainly due to rude staff."

• Travel date: 14th August 2012

Did we get what we paid for?

Reviewed 16th November 2011

"Calas de Mallorca is a tired resort with only a handful of shops and bars, all of which seem to be struggling to eke out a living. It never was much of a resort even in its hay day back in the seventies. Nowadays though with the advent of the all inclusive hotel, it’s in its last death throws. Desperate to fill its antiquated hotels the Sol Calas de Mallorca Resort has become probably the cheapest A/I on the island, mainly because if it wasn’t cheap no one would go there as the resort itself has so little to offer. We paid just over £300 for a week A/I for two. We spend about that anyway at home when you take into account a few beers, so I suppose in reality it only cost us the flight and transfers which were about £200, so it was stinking cheap. Incidentally our transfers via Resort hoppa were on time and about an hour each way, and we flew with Thompson’s again on time and no problems. We had stayed in Calas De Mallorca years ago and knew there wasn’t much there, but it was very sad to see it so run down. Ours was a spur of the moment break, not a main holiday but a last chance to top up our tans so we weren’t looking for thrills just acceptable accommodation. Ironically there was a heat wave at home whilst we were away We were allocated the Mastinas which is probably the least disabled friendly hotel you can imagine, so that alone made it a bit of a nightmare for me, but not untypical in a dated Spanish hotel. I.e. two flights of steep steps to the only bar open during the day with no thought whatsoever given to how the less mobile are expected to get there and back. If you are disabled as I am don’t bother emailing them before booking as I did as, because they will say it’s OK, when it clearly isn’t., and out of season most guests are not in the first flush of youth. Our room had a view of the kitchen air conditioning units and a brick shed. The room itself had no air con, no TV and no fridge and although the bed was made the room was never cleaned. The bathroom stank there is no other way to describe it, it was disgusting. The food was edible but the beer was c**p in a tiny plastic cup and the spirits rotgut, I’m not joking the vodka was called Jerkioff. Taking everything into consideration, the condition of the hotels after years of neglect, the rundown resort, the heartburn inducing alcohol, we were probably overcharged. These hotels are badly in need of renovation, but in reality that’s unlikely to happen as the resort itself is in terminal decline, so they are more likely to deteriorate even further. To put things into perspective the gent’s loo in Mastinas had one urinal missing and a filthy rag pushed into the pipe. How low do standards need to be before they become unacceptable? Unfortunately there no pictures of missing urinals in the brochures nor is there a scratch and sniff so you also can appreciate the stench we had to endure in our bathroom. Would we return? No. Last but not least I had the misfortune of meeting the manager of the hotels. For someone oddly in the hospitality business he is a most unpleasant individual. Other reviewers have commented on his rudeness and I can testify they have not over exaggerated but nothing I can write will prepare you for the sheer ignorance and arrogance of the man, truly he is a really nasty piece of work. I did email Sol Melia about him on my return, but guess what? They couldn’t give a toss, and that sums up the way they run things. no wonder Spain is going bankrupt."

• Travel date: 15th November 2011

Hotels near Sol Cala Antena

Top traveller tips for Sol Cala Antena

• by John (like value for money)

"Hotel transfer is a long way on coach, mine was 2hrs, and I talked to people and they had 3hr journeys. Maybe pay extra for a taxi if you ca..."

• by wm

"if you like clean typically Spanish Hotel this was not it"

• by AJDoh

"Don't go, book in cala millor instead"

• by micky b

"beach, well anywhere out of the resort.."

• by Carol V

"use the local bus services."

• by lou w

"Don't bother...go somewhere else"

• by jazz2468

"visiting the beach, exploring outside the resort. Go to aqua world"

• by shass

"Do not go at peak time. Do go all inclusive."

• by sue

"use the bus services, go on a coastal walk and visit the town centre "

• by sharon62

"great pools and food but nothing for older children"

• by stephf1422

"If young go to Tiffanys :)"

Sol Cala Antena is also called

• Sol Calas de Mallorca Resort
  • sol calas de mallorca hotel
  • sol melia calas de majorca