About Sol Cala d'Or by Melia Apartamentos

• sun terrace
  • bicycle rental
  • street parking amenities
  • kitchenware
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • table tennis

Reviewed Mon 3rd of August 2015

"1)no WI-Fi in the room
2)insects in the room
3)safe/iron/TV for extra price
4)telephone in the room wakes you up in the middle of the night"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of August 2015

Brilliant!

Reviewed Tue 2nd of September 2014

"We have been coming to these appartments for over 12 years and absolutely love them. I must just ask the previous traveler regarding items taken from the room Did you have a safe? If yes then the hotel should be responsible but if not then that is why there is a safe for you to place expensive items in in at a small charge."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2014

Items stolen from room

Reviewed Thu 28th of August 2014

"We stayed in this hotel for two weeks up to 26 July 2014. It was a reasonable hotel but on our final day we had an i pad and mobile phone stolen from our room. Clearly deliberately done on the final day to minimize our ability to resolve while in Majorca. The room had been cleaned the day before so there was no reason for anyone to enter. The room was fully locked. The hotel manager refused to accept liability even though there was no forced entry. Whoever stole the items accessed our room with a key, so it was clearly a hotel employee. It was reported to the local police. Neither the hotel nor Jet2 has contacted me since my return to offer any explanation or apology despite multiple emails from me. Sol Hotels insurance loss adjuster contact me to confirm they would not cover the cost. The hotel manager Antonio Perez told me that they had had no other thefts in his 3 years as manager and thus almost made me feel as though I was making it up. I now see from other reviews that it's a regular occurrence at the hotel. My advice would be stay somewhere else as this hotel offers no security whatsoever for your personal possessions. The attitude towards this from both Melia and Sol hotels is appalling. The i pad was my 4 year old sons and trying to explain why we no longer had it was awkward to say the least."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of August 2014

Regular thefts, beware!!!!!

Reviewed Mon 25th of August 2014

"I had initially left a fab review on TripAdvisor which I now can't amend sadly, we had our remaining 200 euros stolen on Monday leaving us with nothing till we came home yesterday. We were the fourth victim of theft this week, people have had laptops, money and phones stolen. Supposedly a Moroccan man is regularly going round hotels in Cala DOr stealing, however there was no sign of break in to our room, nothing overturned. The room had been cleaned that day, you make your minds up!!
Please please get a safe and double lock your rooms x"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of August 2014

No Problems

Reviewed Mon 4th of June 2012

"My partner and I have just returned from an 11 night stay at the Sol Cala D'or Apartments in Cala D'or (arrived 20/05/12). We stayed bed and breakfast. We had no problem at all with the apartments, even the air conditioning (which some people have previously complained about) was  completely fine. Breakfast wasn't the greatest, but hey, who cares really!?!? We were really impressed that the towels were changed every other day and the beds made also. However the bedding wasn't changed in 11 nights (I'm sure though if asked they would have). All areas (rooms, poolside, restaurant) were spotless. All the staff, reception, restaurant and maids, were very pleasant. Contrary to other reports the sun-beds were free during our stay. We would highly recommend visiting "Sam's Bar" (opposite restaurant "Barlovento" in the main pedestrianised area. The girl running the bar there," Katerina", was very friendly and it was great to have met her. We spent every evening there chatting with her about just about everything. As an aside, her sangria was excellent and was freshly made every time. We had a brilliant time!"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2012

Lovely holiday

Reviewed Tue 30th of August 2011

"We have just come back from a 10 day stay at the Sol Cala Dor Apartments (2 adults, 2 children), and must say we have had a lovely time.
The apartments are basic but I've been holidaying in Spain - Mainland and Majorca, for over 30 years and have experienced slightly nicer rooms and slightly not so nice rooms. A Spanish 3 star place isn't the same as an English 3 star place. It is true that you get what you pay for, and if you want 5 star, book 5 star!
We had a 1 bedroom apartment which was very spacious. We were all inclusive, but if you were self catering, it had every conceivable cooking utensil & pot you could ever ask for. It also had an oven!
The room was cleaned 4 times when we were there, and if we left the dirty towels outside (as mentioned in the information given to us on arrival) the maids would change them. There was also a thing (don't know what you call it) that you place on the door knob outside, asking the maids to clean your room!
The pool was a good size. I do agree, you did get annoying people putting towels on chairs early in the morning setting their spot for their eventual sunbed, but we didn't have to pay for the beds and always found a spot.
The food & drink was literally "on tap" all day. Local spirits, beer, wine, cocktails and soft drinks. Use of the dining room 3 times per day, plus the snack bar and ice cream all day meant we never went hungry or thirsty. Majorca is expensive and I believe we saved a lot of money going AI.
I don't agree that the food was cold, it was always piping hot and there was a good selection. The Apartments having a lot of European clientele, meant they had to cater for a wide range of tastes, and we enjoyed a lot of different cuisine and there never once was anything that we didn't like. There was a lot of variety i.e. meat/fish/rice/pasta/salad/soup.
We liked to eat on the terrace in the morning and in the evening. And after a walk in the evening, return to watch the last of the slightly tacky but enjoyable karaoke, with a glass of wine.
We found the staff friendly, if you were friendly to them! They all worked tirelessly, and Roberto (the last Spanish waiter in Spain - ask him why!) a good source of friendly banter.
We walked to several of the beaches Cala Ferrera/Cala Dor and one past the marina (can't remember the name). They were all clean and the water crystal clear.
The marina is lovely and there is a selection of bars but be prepared to pay high prices.
Cala Dor is a lovely place, suitable for families & couples. We never experienced late night revellers or guys/girls "on tour" thankfully. Everything seems to shut about midnight and it was a lovely peaceful, holiday.
One gripe - don't worry its not that bad. The air con is noisy, but was desperately needed - 36.4c for 4 days & 31c the rest. And after a couple of glasses of wine, didn't notice it anyway.
Overall a nice holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of August 2011

very disapointed to say was all inclusive !!

Reviewed Thu 9th of June 2011

"Went to sol cala Dor Apartments with my partner, two children aged 8 and 5 my parents and grandparents. To be really honest the staff were absolutly fantastic always smiling and realy friendly. However we did stay all inclusive and was very disappointed there was no kids club or entertainment as advertised and the bar was empty on an evening, the food was horrendous with limited choices of main courses and the food was cold and did need warming in the microwave, there was only two choices of desserts which were same every evening!!!
The rooms were good and did have self catering facilities which was fantastic however only cleaned and towels changed twice in the whole week.
Cala Dor as a whole is great place to stay and there is plenty to do and would go again but would not stay in this hotel again!!!!!!!!!

• Travel date: Wed 8th of June 2011

Good Holiday

Reviewed Tue 14th of September 2010

"Had a lovely time at Sol Cala Dor with my husband and 5 year old daughter, hotel was in a great location for beaches, shops and restaurants, we had a ground floor apartment next to the bar which we found ok as the bar isn't at all noisy or lively in the evenings ( I can imagine some of the rooms noisy as some do back onto a road and an amusement park), staff are friendly and the food was ok (we only had breakfast once and a couple of lunchtime bar meals). The pool was clean and ideal for children. My only criticism is that the beds were far too hard and I couldn't sleep on them so had to sleep on sofa bed in lounge area which was slightly better, also the room/bathroom was a bit dated but was clean and we only had out sheets changed once in the week we were there, I would consider staying here again"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of September 2010

Fantastic

Reviewed Fri 13th of August 2010

"Me and my husband and 14 and 12 year old children had a lovely holiday in sol cala dor. We stayed there for 10 days. The apartments were clean and well furnished. The pool area was big and had a lovely,clean pool. There were a varity of restaurnts and little shops very near by. The entertainment was poor and we ended up going to bed early.
Friendly staff very helpful. The beach is a 2 minute walk beautiful beach and view. Great holiday and will return in the future."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of August 2010

A great place for a holiday

Reviewed Wed 9th of June 2010

"My Family stayed here for eight days ,place is lovely,clean, food is good , sited well for the beech at cala gran a few minutes walk to the centre lovely places to eat all around if you dont want to eat in the hotel.
my five year old boy loved the pool always a lifeguard on hand, staff and cleaning staff really helpfull and friendly i,ll will book this hotel again had a great time"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of June 2010

Good Holiday

Reviewed Fri 28th of May 2010

"My husband and i have just returned from a holiday at Sol Cala Dor. The room was small and needs some updating, the pool isn't as big as it looks in the photo's and the water is freezing but it was clean. Sleeping was on an L shaped sofa so we were head to head, not the best for an annv holiday, There is no entertainment in the hotel but there is plenty of entertainment at the Tropical Garden which is free, the diva tribute on a monday night is a must see, the singer was fab! We had good meals in a few different places but if you want english food then visit Welshies bar not far from the hotel. Loverly place if you like a quite holiday as we did, would go back but i think i would stay eles where.Plenty of shops to look around and the beach is nice and clean with stunning views."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of May 2010

brilliant

Reviewed Thu 22nd of October 2009

"me and my eight year old son has just returned from cala dor, where we stayed for 1 week at the sol cala dor appartments,, i must firstly say that having read some of the reviews before we travelled i was a bit worried, but as soon as we arrived i couldnt have been more pleased,, our appartment was a ground floor one which was next to the lovely pool, it was very clean and spacious with a seperate bedroom with twin beds, the bedding was clean and the bathroom spotless !!! the fridge, cooker ect were all spotless too,, having no problems with the apartment we then tryed the pool area, although there was a 2 euro charge for the sun lounger the pool area was again really clean, the pool was lovely and my son loved this, he went in the pool every day and as some reviews had pointed out, my sons hair and clothes didnot go green !!!! i was overall very impressed , the staff at both the reception and the pool bar area were very nice and helpful in fact couldnt do enough for us,, we got fresh towels twice in the week and bed linen changed once which was enough, we didnt eat in the resturant so cant really comment but did have a couple of the snacks and these were again good, the location as also excellent and very central to all the bars and resturants on offer, and as for the karioke bar opposite i never heard a thing !!! i would recomend these apartments to my friends and will def be visiting them again, i would recommend walskies which is just up the road to eat, also go into the square as they compete with each other, my little boy ate free and i gor free wine which is a big saving,, the beaches are a must as these are all little pretty coves well worth visiting, also the open top bus is good too, "

• Travel date: Wed 21st of October 2009

Hotels near Sol Cala d'Or by Melia Apartamentos

Top traveller tips for Sol Cala d'Or by Melia Apartamentos

• bubalicious25 by bubalicious25

"Favourite restaurant would be La Fontanella, and Acquamarine. Look out for Jack @ The Pirate "

• Rachalf by Rachalf

"its definetly worth a vist for a relaxing and revitalising holiday "

• Rachalf by Rachalf

"Different, Walshies, ........pedro. Caves de Arta "

• mrsh77 by mrsh77

"Only go if you're up for a 'brit' holiday - and don't care about the quality of what you eat! "

• HJKJ by HJKJ

"Read the information given to you on arrival. "

• bev macca by bev macca

"open top bus for sight seeing, the square forevening meals "

• sauceydave by sauceydave

"you must visit cheers in the square, looked after us and decent portions as well, and offers. "

• Shilvock by Shilvock

"Worth the money and very beautiful "

• Shilvock by Shilvock

"Regina, Indiana John's, La Vida (Marina), Casa Blanca, Hollywood Bar "

• Gracieb1 by Gracieb1

"PP Chaves, Steakhouses, Playa D'or, Tropical Garden's, The Curry House "

• simon224 by simon224

"Book this if you want a relaxing stress free holiday "

• hoots72 by hoots72

"Tropical gardens for entertainment. Walshies good for British and kids. "

Sol Cala d'Or by Melia Apartamentos is also called