Inturotel Cala Esmeralda

Carrer Cala Esmeralda, 8 Urbanizacion Cala Esmeralda, 07660 Cala d'Or, Majorca Spain

Good

Cala Esmerelda -

"Let me start by saying that my wife and I had a fantastic time at the Cala Esmerelda. The hotel has an unenviable position, looking over the cove, the rooms were basic, but more than sufficient. In our rooms we had no issues with noise from the air conditioning and the small fridge in the room was an added bonus. All staff at all times were pleasant, helpful, friendly and importantly interested in you. The rooms were cleaned every day and the whole hotel was spotless. The food choice and quality is worthy of a five star hotel, with some of the most efficient waiting staff I have ever seen.

In the rooms the beds are definitely in need of either replacement or some form of top mattress as I have slept on better park benches, joke. Seriously though the beds were the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. As we had to move rooms during our stay I can vouch that they are the same in all the rooms. The hotel towels were threadbare and in need of replacement. If you are over size 8 or weigh more than 10 stone then you may have been able to dry your top half with the bath towel and let nature dry the rest.

The hotel pool did have restrictions on when it opened and closed and as usual sun bed reservations were caused by the ‘British’ clientele rather than any Germans, though there were always some available.

Points that the hotel could improve on are the ‘rock pool’ which is situated across the road from the main hotel. This is the secondary pool which is attached to the hotel’s snack bar and is supposed to be for hotel guests only! In all my times visiting the pool, I never actually ever managed to get a sun bed. I once counted ten people sitting on the steps outside waiting for it to open at 9am. I could barely recognise many actual hotel guests at the pool. The hotel management could do with enforcing the rules more stringently.

Evening entertainment was woeful. On one occasion the singer did not even know the words of some of the songs and mumbled through. Stop I hear you say no one made you stay you could have gone out, fair point. What I am trying to highlight is the fact that if the hotel spend a little more money on the entertainment more people would stay and therefore the hotel could generate more money from the bar. On the night when the singer did not know the words, the outside and inside bar area was busy and at least half the people left before he finished his third song, he was that bad."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of August 2007

fantastic food

Good

"Echo what everyone else says, basic accommodation, but other than that great hotel. Full marks for the meals, excellent choices and cooked beautifully and freshly infront of you for some of the main meat and fish courses. Only downside was having to get up so early to get a sunbed, by 8.30 they were all taken. Evening entertainment still the same as it was in the 70's, really needs updating or banging on the head as made us go out rather than stay in."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of August 2007

A lovely holiday in Mallorca

"Returned recently from a 7 night holiday at the Cala Esmeralda Hotel. It is situated on the fringe of a quiet residential area with splendid views over the cove. All in all we had a wonderful time. The hotel was spotless, the rooms comfortable (air con. a little noisy, but the fridge handy!), the food superb, and the pool areas (there are two) very relaxing. Prevoius reviewers have referred to the Hotel Manager and his continual "walkabouts". I can confirm that he still patrols the premises and takes an active interest in the well-being of his guests. The restaurant staff were also very attentive to our needs. The evening entertainment was a little disappointing but this did not affect our holiday. Other reviewers have also commented about the large presence of German guests. This for me makes the hotel better since they are well-behaved, quiet and less intrusive than many other tourists. We do intend to return next year to the Cala Esmeralda Hotel, though next time our stay will be for a longer period since 7 nights was simply not enough. If you decide to book this hotel you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of August 2007

Great Stay

"Just back from a 2 week stay in Cala Esmeralda hotel Cala dor. We had a brilliant time. Staff were very friendly, clean but rather basic rooms. Only downside was there was very strong german influence!! The entertainment was poor unless you enjoyed a man on a keyboard every night. Cala dor is a 5 minute walk with plenty of entertainment, pubs and clubs and esmeralda park offers a great choice of entertainment for younger childern. Would recommend Holywood bar which was 5 minutes walk from the hotel and Tropical garden. Did struggle slightly near the end of the holiday to get sunbeds as the same people would reserve every morning regardless what the signs at the pool said- NO RESERVING. Food at the hotel was EXCELLENT!!! Great variety i think we must have come home 2 stone heavier!! Would definatley reccomend!"

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

A very pleasant stay

"Just came back home after a one-week stay. My wife and I really enjoyed the place. The hotel is well-located next to a gorgeous cove with a (rather small) beach. The staff was agreeable and efficient while the food was varied and good-quality. It was especially pleasant to soak up the sun around the pool located inside the hotel where it was usually very quiet. We enjoyed not having to fight for a sunbed or reserving it hours in advance. The other pool downhill next to the beach was fine too, but much more frequented. Bars and shops are within walking distance (about 5 to 10 minutes). We greatly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of July 2007

Great holiday

"My partner and I stayed at this hotel on the 21st to 26th May 2007. We found the rooms and the hotel spotlessly clean. The staff were very friendly and obliging, particularly Eduardo the barman. The Manager was seen constantly walking round the hotel checking on things, something I have never seen at other hotels I have stayed at. He obviously takes his job very seriously and this is to the credit of the hotel. I presume this is why the standard was very high.

The location was superb. A short walk from the centre of the town with all its bars and restaurants, and yet literally across the road from a very pretty little cove with a nice beach.

The food was piping hot, varied and very well presented. I am a vegetarian and I often struggle on holiday with suitable food. I did find something to eat each night, although I could have done with better labelling to know exactly what was in some dishes. That was a minor quibble however, as the sweets and ice cream more than made up for that! They were fabulous, as my waistline can confirm!

The hotel is part of a large complex. We were able to use the pools that belonged to the other parts of the complex as well as the hotel's own pool. There was a short walk to use an indoor pool at the sister hotel next door which was good. The guests at the sister hotel, however, were not permitted to use this hotel's pool, which made for a peaceful time around the pool. Getting a sun lounger was never a problem, and the pool was very clean, albeit rather cold!

The resort itself was good, with plenty of shops and bars. The walk to the marina was well worth it, and I can definately recommend it.

All in all, we had a trouble free, relaxing break and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. If I had to be complain about anything, it would be that the cleaning ladies often left our balcony door unlocked when they had finished our room. This would not be a problem on the higher floors, but our balcony was easily accessible to others. This is just a minor complaint though, and is about all I have to moan about!"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of June 2007

A Fantastic Hotel in a Superb Location

"We spent 11 nights at this hotel. The rooms are of a good standard and kept very clean.

The staff are lovely, friendly and polite at all times.

This hotel really shines when it comes to food. Great selection, great quality and great presentation plus free Champagne at breakfast if you wish. Every Tuesday there is a "Gala Evening" where the food is even more tasty.

The location is wonderful, standing on the banks of a private beach cove with superb views.

The only downside was the lack of any decent entertainment at the hotel, it usually consisted of one man and his guitar!! Lucky a 10 minute walk takes you to the centre of Cala D'or where bars, restaurants and shops are plentiful so you can have it as busy or as quiet as you like. (This is also a good way to walk off those extra calories from the excellent and vast amounts of food that we all eat on H/B hols)

One other thing, the hotel and surrounding hotels all have a very strong German contingent, so unless you speak the language meeting new people may be difficult.

Overall a superb stay, hence I'm writing this, my first review."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of June 2007

Great for families!

"Fantastic hotel. Our family of two adults and two children had a great time. Beautiful views around the hotel and the beach is on your door step. Really clean facilities, the staff are freindly and helpful. The food is of good quality and the choice is varied. The only downside is the hotel has a strong German influence, the sun bed situation is the same, and the entertainment is poor but plenty of bars in nearby Cala D'or."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of June 2007

A Class Hotel in a quality location

"Arrived 19th May for 3 night break, The Manager Tony welcomes all guests personally and he constantly walks around the hotel from 8am to midnight ensuring all guests are happy and contented. The other staff are superb too, very friendly and polite at all times. Especially Eduardo one of the waiters he was excellent.
The food was great, very good choice, always hot, and very morish.
This hotel was a bit more upmarket than what we're used too, but we felt very comportable at all times. The location is wonderful, Standing on the banks of a private cove with superb views "breathtaking"
Have booked to return for 2 weeks in sepotember, can't wait."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of May 2007

Eat Well in Majorca!

"Spent 5 days at this Hotel. Hotel Rooms and Facilities are pretty standard 3 - 4 Star fare. Nice location overlooking the Sea.

Hotel really shines when it comes to food though. Good selection, good quality produce and great presentation.

Free Champagne every breakfast if you like that sort of thing.

Overall hotel would appeal probably more to couples, and the more Mobile, due to location in Resort than Hotel Layout.

Overall a 3 Star hotel serving 4 Star food."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of May 2007

Our Honeymoon for 3

"We have just returned from a fantastic week at this hotel. The staff were absolutely fantastic and a credit to the hotel chain. From arrival to leaving for home nothing was too much trouble. They spoke fantastic english on reception and went out of their way to help.
The food was fantastic and the gala breakfast with champagne was a highlihgt folllowed by the gala dinner with show cooking. The waiters again and the chef team were fabulous.
I would reccommend this hotel would be perfect for couples and families. There are two pools at this hotel and the beach is just over the road. You can also go to the pools at the azul complex next door. There is a train/ bus that goes to the centre every 15 mins to the hour. If you want to do this for fun its great but is cheaper to get a taxi if there is four of you.
We discovered a short cut to the town at the side of the hotel. If you go up the drive on the left you see some steps at the side of the tennis courts. Follow the car park and turn right. You follow the road all the way down and end up near mallorcalandia. This is by far the quickest way and was a welcome releif as its a long walk via cala azul or through the residential area."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of July 2011

better than the brochure

"Had a great holiday. staff great, food far better than expected.
have not stayed in many places that we would say we would love to go back to - this was one of them.
A really enjoyable holiday and looking forward to going back again next year"

• Travel date: Sat 31st of October 2009

Hotels near Inturotel Cala Esmeralda

Stayed at Inturotel Cala Esmeralda? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Inturotel Cala Esmeralda

• Mr G Coxon by Mr G Coxon

"Places well worth a visit are: Valledemossa, Palma and San Salvador "

• tom & Barbara by tom & Barbara

"book early its bound to get busier "

• tom & Barbara by tom & Barbara

"vast choice in the area "

Inturotel Cala Esmeralda is also called