Hotel Rocamarina

Avenida Forti 14, 07660 Cala d'Or, Majorca Spain

Good

we stayed at the Rocamarina a few years ago and had a great holiday. food was fab an

Reviewed Thu 4th of September 2014

"There were plenty of choice. eggs cooked to order etc., The staff were extremely friendly and always ready to greet you with a smile. Everything was fantastic, but have to agree with other reviews, the sunbed situation should be attended to. We were there for two weeks and it was the same crowd who hogged the sunbeds every day from morning till night!It almost felt as if they owned the pool with no regard for other guests!
Anyway we are off on Saturday to the Rocamarina for a week so I'll report my findings on our return."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of September 2014

beware

Reviewed Mon 12th of May 2014

"Great hotel ,but beware of using you phone in your room. For a local call of 2 mins 49 secs cost me 11 euros 10 cents. Extortionate !!! A real sting in the tail. you have been warned.:-( "

• Travel date: Sun 11th of May 2014

Happy holiday

Reviewed Wed 12th of September 2012

"We have just had a wonderful holiday at the Rocamarina, the hotel was clean all the staff were friendly and it was peaceful just what we wanted. Our room was on the ground floor which disappointed me at first as we had no view but the little patio area had the sun in the afternoon and it was private and very quiet. The food was plentiful and catered for most tastes the only down side was the lack of atmosphere it was a bit like a cafeteria I think if I visited again I would only do B&B. The local area is crammed with wonderful little bars and restaurants with the cosy atmosphere I wanted. The pool area and gardens were exactly as shown in the brochure the dash for sunbeds has been well documented but we wanted to explore the island so this was just morning entertainment before setting off for the day. The small beach which is only two minutes away was beautiful and the sea was clear and lovely to swim in. The only thing that disappointed was the entertainment it was outdated and lacked fun I am not looking for clubbing and loud disco music but bingo and quizzes are not my idea of fun, and why was the dance floor not used at least once. This said all in all it was a great holiday and you can't please everyone."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2012

Jusy loved the rocamarina

Reviewed Wed 29th of August 2012

"Myself and my husband have just arrived back from a 2 week stay at The rocamarina,and it did not disappoint,i could see no problem with the food,it was exellent and catered for everyone i really do not know what people expect,AND where on earth did the person who said the eggs were pre cooked must be suffering from a hangover every morning,because my husband used to have to wait to have his fried egg freshly done.i went for the heathier option of cereal which had the stuff i go for,but now and again i go for a fry up but i throughly enjoyed it.Ive never ate so much fruit!!!!and we realy loved the puddings a vast improvement on some we have had in the past on other hlidays.
We paid extra for a superior room which over looked the entertainment yes it was loud and went on till 12am but that really did not bother us at all.we thought the entertainment was quite good.There is a problem with the sunloungers in the morning we found it quite sad that people had to sit outside with their towels waiting to do a supermarket trolley dash which is a bit unfair to the ones that never got a chance to sit around the pool like me and my husband,we actually had breakfast first then went and sat up in the grass area and stayed there,but the ones that trolley dashed actually bagged their fav place then buggered off to have brekkie which did annoy me and was tempted to take some of their towels off.The other thing was the not wearing shorts and flip flops at the evening meal my husband every night turned up in trousers or jeans,trainers and i in trousers or leggings,but i did notice young girls with those playsuits on and some men in shorts and flip flops but nobody seem to acknowledge it which also annoyed me,so i cannot understand some of the reviews state that they were told to change which to me is unfair.We did the little noddy train hour tour around the resort which was really interesting to see other parts of it.The beach was very pretty but also very packed we did not bother with going to the beach every day.Cala D'Or is packed with restuarants,bars and shops,we took a walk in one night,all in all it took us 30mins,a lovely walk around the harbour.Rooms cleaned everyday,lovely big beds and plump pillows.I did notice that the shower screen was glued because of accidents in the past,but i nearly had a accident trying to get around the shower screen and toilet,so not quite sure what that was all about.We found it very quiet in our room it was nice not having to listen to some ones conversation through the walls,if anyone had their telly on you could not hear it so top marks for that.Waiters freindly never kept waiting for a drink,loved the quizes and the occasional Bingo,Bingo not my cup of tea but i had a go i did not win a bean though.The other minus i found was our late night check out,we werent getting picked up till 11.35am,our coach did not arrive so the receptionist did all the telephone calls,now why isnt there a rep there to make sure we get our coach on time and wait till we have got on that coach and away?We had no one,are coach turned up at 12.45am!there is reps there doing the entertainment till 12 but none of them hung on only mel,but then she went on,i think we all felt a little vunrable at the time.We did 2 trips one to Pollensa market and one to Palma,both very good although i enjoyed the palma one better.So all in all we really loved our holiday it was the best holiday to date and we have been on some holidays,we enjoyed it so much that we booking to come again next year.You have got to look past the downsides of the sunloungers,the food,the older people,the shorts and flip flops not allowed at dinner, and see that it is a lovely family run hotel with a lot to offer."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2012

Thomsons Gold is Tarnished

Reviewed Wed 13th of July 2011

"  I have recently returned from a holiday  at the above hotel .(4th  June-18th June ).
  I have used Thomson Gold on a number of occasions in the past and have always found these to be excellent .
   However on this occasion I was extremely disappointed .
There are a number of aspects I would like to complain about and I outline these below >
1) Food
      a) Breakfast
      For any Englishman and for me breakfast is an important meal on holiday . And I would think one of the easiest to get right by any half competent chef . Not so apparently for Thomson Gold chefs  because breakfast was an abortion!!
     Fried eggs  where not freshly cooked They were delivered from the kitchen on trays .Every one of the eggs I tried, had a rubber like white and a tough skin over the egg and most hard cooked .I suspect they were cooked earlier and kept warm in a oven . Many were broken and mangled .I asked the chef to cook me some fresh eggs on the hot plate  as any reasonable hotel do any way ,and I was simply directed to the tray of eggs .
  Boiled eggs  didn't fair much better and were always cold and the soft boiled eggs were often undercooked .
 Scrambled eggs were not much better . These were cooked on the hot plate an simply mangled up. These were dry and unpalatable . Omelets were cooked in exactly the same way I but folded with the same results.This is not how to cook scrabbled eggs and omelets.
Most of the bacon was over cooked and hard  .If you were lucky you might find a palatable piece at the bottom of tray.
Sausages were tasteless as were the baked beans .However you did get the fried tomatoes right and the home made marmalade was great.
   The above and worse occurred not on a few days but on every single day of the holiday

Well that was breakfast .What about dinner
Dinner. .
One of the main problems here was the poorly cooked vegetables .I like firm vegetables  But sprouts and carrots and beans were lundercooked and
tastless.The broccoli and cauliflower varied between soggy and undercooked surprisingly sometime on the same piece of vegetable.The range of meat dishes was very limited mainly pork and chicken sometimes fish and once or twice beef and rabbit which on each occasion was very tough . and lamb once which was excellent .Soups were very limited (Cream of chicken asparagus an mushroom ) No variation in sweets from day to day .
   All in all sirs a very poor show for Thomson's gold food .If I had been in a restaurant I would have sent most of it back .
Entertainment
    What happened to the professional entertainment I was promised ?
   Endless Quizzes morning afternoon and night  which went on and on and on .A medico resident couple interspersed with quizes and a couple of good artist
   If you could stand the quizzed before they came on .Not what I would class as professional and nowhere near the standards of other Thomson gold hotels .
 My Bedroom
   I paid for a superior room which was supposed to have a poll or sea view and with view of the entertainment. I had a great view of the restaurant roof ,No view of the entertainment ,I could see  if I stretched  1/10th of the pool (mainly sun beds )and 1/10 of sea .If this was a superior room I hate to think what a standard room was like .Each morning I was woken by tables and chairs being moved about in the bars and restaurant,presumably by cleaning staff.

Sirs, considering all they claims you make on the TV and your brochures for Thomson gold hotels you failed miserably in this case in many aspects .
     This is a great shame because the hotel is in a great location ,Both you reps and the hotel reception were enthusiastic and very helpful
   I don't think I will be using Thomson again unless I get some strong evidence of some considerable improvement and I wont be recommending you to any of my friends .
    If this is the general standards of Thomson gold these days you should be very concerned about your business prospects .
William Kenny

• Travel date: Sun 10th of July 2011

not a gold experience

Reviewed Mon 18th of October 2010

"this was mine and my husbands first and last visit here.Im sure the sunbed olympics in the morning are for the staffs and other guests entertainment.Really quite embarrassing. My husband was told off one evening for wearing long shorts (proper linen ones ) to dinner wouldnt have minded but wernt told this by thomson before we went and at the end of the day we were only sitting on plastic furniture by a pool.I slipped at the pool and ended up spending 3 days in palma hospital ( 1 hour away ) with 2 small fractures in my back.We phoned rep to explain we had small amount of money ,no clean clothes or toiletries and were given 2 options go to nearest supermarket to buy clean clothes or have them taxi-ed over from hotel at cost of taxi ( 70 euros ). the rep and the hotel management didnt seem to be bothered . All in all it was our worst holiday weve had and certainly wont be using thomson again. they are ok if you dont need their attention whilst you are away."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of October 2010

Thomas Experience

Reviewed Sun 22nd of August 2010

"Flight was good from doncaster, and everything seemed ok,
on arrival at palma. We had to walk the lenght and breadth of the arrivals to find a group of 6 reps all stood chatting and not very attentive to helping guests find their coach. No rep attended us to the hotel but the transfer was speedy enough.
rocamarina has a bank of steep steps no problems for us but anyone a bit older would have problems as a ramp would have helped because no one assisted the elderly up the steps with their cases..
hotel is clean, smart, and impressive, rooms large airy and modern. Cleaning staff, bar staff, and restaurant staff are pleasant helpful and efficient.

bad bits:
first night was told to go and change into trousers from my crop trousers as it was against hotel policy, ok no probs but it was said in a very offhand and bullying manner..
the food overall is ok but it was often lukewarm and re-hashed in many forms. The desserts monotonous and unappealing after a couple of nights, fresh fruit was good and plentiful and a safe bet..
water is 2.50 euros for a 500ml bottle (2 small glasses)
and they demand payment as you are eating (no tab)even cheap 2 star hotels dont do that...

the british disease of covering unused sunbeds for the day in towels is rampant here, and the hotels supply cannot cater for the full complement of guests and is woefully poor, we never got on a sunbed all week and had to pay 12euros for ones on the nearby small beach

same goes for the terrace at night if you are not out straight after early dinner you have had it, and its only the walk to the nearest bar that will ensure you an evening out. Apart from 2 semi-proff'acts the entertainment was sadly poor quality with silly child-like games filling the days and most of the evenings.

the terrace is badly designed allowing poor visual access of the stage area for over 50% of tables, which given the quality of the entertainment was probably excessive.
never in the week we was there did a rep talk or make their self known to us directly. We were not met at the door or waved goodbye at anytime and we might as well have booked the whole thing ourselfs and done our own thing...very disapointed with the experience and just to let the people under 50 (which we are not) be aware that there is a large nursing home feeling about the place.

i would not return there again having paid a bit more for a better company (what a mistake), however that said we met some great people in the hotel and bars of cala egos who have also made the best of their one main holiday this year.....
ps:hotel rocamarina is based at cala egos not cala-dor as the brochure states 5.50 euros and an 8 minute drive by taxi.....

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of August 2010

Not a Gold Standard experience

Reviewed Mon 2nd of August 2010

"First of all, everyone I met during my stay at the Rocamarina was very warm, polite, friendly and had great manners. Something quite rare these days. There was a sense of camaraderie and complete strangers would stop you and chat away like they’ve known you for years. Also the cleaners are very thorough and come around every day so the rooms are spotless.

However the hotel is let down by the lack of sunbeds. If you don't get up before 9 and quickly claim a lounger with a towel then you won't get a lounger all day so don't think about a lie in.

You will get turned away from the dinner hall if you are not wearing trousers and proper shoes (i.e no flip-flops). We were turned away and ordered to change on our first night. Obviously it's nice to dress up for dinner to add a touch of class but it is unwelcoming to be turned away on your first night having travelled all the way there and paying for dinner.

There are no safety deposit boxes in the rooms. There are however boxes down at reception but it feels weird to be separated from your tickets, passport and money during your stay.

We had a balcony but the sun does not reach into the balcony because of the hotel’s location so it is only good if you like the shade. We had a view of a road.

The entertainers work incredibly hard and are friendly but there is a hi-de-hi feel to it. The pool is taken up by games for much of the day not leaving much time for people who want to swim in peace. No children are allowed but the entertainment was geared towards children (dressing up as cows etc) which felt strange. However a lot of people seemed to enjoy this so perhaps it is a matter of personal taste.

The noise level of the entertainment at night time is very loud and wasn’t my style of music. It meant that I couldn’t listen to my ipod on the balcony at night. After the entertainment ends the light on your balcony will go out so you can’t read.

There is a beach nearby however it is crowded and small. If you swim out even a short distance you will find that there is a sudden drop and you are out of your depth so everyone crowds within the first couple of metres of the shore.

In terms of amenities however there are lots of supermarkets just a short walk away. There is also a tennis court across the road though I didn’t see anybody making use of this.

We were booked in for seven days and nights however we were made to check out at 12pm despite the fact our flight wasn’t for another 18 hours. The hotel could only offer us a ‘courtesy room’ in the early afternoon to wash which wasn’t much use. We arrived home after over 24 hours of being awake and 22 hours after being made to check out. Effectively we had a full day of our holiday stolen from us as all we could do on our last day was sit in the lobby and watch a clock. This is Thomson’s fault and not the Rocamarina’s fault as such but doesn’t leave a good impression.

We explained our concerns to our Thomson’s rep and also about the fact that we had nowhere to change for the dinner we had paid for (as they won’t let you in unless wearing trousers) to which they offered the solution that we change in the broom cupboard! Which we had to do. Again not Rocamarina’s fault as such but they should take such circumstances into consideration.

The person who picked us up to take us to the airport was angry that he had been ordered to take such a small vehicle to pick us up for some reason which was quite disconcerting and unprofessional.

All in all quite an exhausting experience and not up to gold standard.

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of August 2010

not up to gold standard

Reviewed Thu 1st of July 2010

"have just returned from the hotel rocarmarnina, firstly we were very shocked when we arrived there to find that there was 7 steps up to the door and no ramp, my husband is disabeled and cannot carry luggage, so i had to strugle up the steps there was no mention of this in the broucure, when we got to our room it wasnt situated where we wanted to be but they let us change to a different one straight away, where in most hotels you have to wait a couple of days, the food was very poor not up to usuall gold standard there wasnt enough choice and every night for desert it was bread and butter pudding apple crumble or mouse, didnt vary at all, the staff were all very nice exept for the head waiter in the dining room i found him very abrupt, the evening entertainment was very poor not proffesional like the other gold hotels that we have been to , the 2 thompson gold entertainers cheryl and harry were exellent both very funny and proffesional and the last thing that spoilt it was the cockroaches, we had two in our room and the people next door had one in there suit case, my friend woke up with one crawling up her face, and another lady dropped her juice in the dining room when one ran over her foot, when i found the ones in our room i went to ask for a spray and the man behind the reception told me to bring it straight back as it was the only one they had, the next day we decided to see the manager re the spray she said there were more but was kept loocked up at night, when my friends husband told her that one was on his wifes face, she just said so they live here, not really the answer we were wanting would i go again definatley not it wasnt good value for money at all.

• Travel date: Thu 1st of July 2010

Worth a visit.

Reviewed Fri 12th of June 2009

"A spotless hotel with first rate staff.A very acceptable standard of food with plenty of choice and as much as you like.Evening entertainment was reasonable with some very good acts.Could find no justification though for the very high bar prices.Overall, I would recommend this hotel and visit again."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of June 2009

My husband and I stiplulated to Thomson...

Reviewed Wed 8th of October 2008

"My husband and I stiplulated to Thomson that we didn't wnat to be in amongst noisy nightclubs, big mistake! Rocamarina must contain most of the older generation from England! Don't get me wrong we get on with all age groups but when you have a large volume of mainly senior guests it can be a bit off putting.

The hotel is exceptionally clean, we were really pleased with our room, although we were at the back of the hotel facing the shops it was quieter than the beach side and guests that we spoke to were not very impressed when they had paid more for their rooms and found it noisy as when the entertainment was outside their rooms were nearest to this.

Staff were wonderful attentive polite and always happy, the chamber maids were delightful always greeting with a lovely smile.

Food was wonderful loads of choice and hot and the meat was so good and tender, curries fantastic, veggy and meat, we both put on a few pounds but well worth it

Unfortunately due to the vast majority of guests being 20+ years older than us, think we'll give this a miss!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

Have just returned from 2 weeks holiday...

Reviewed Sat 4th of October 2008

"Have just returned from 2 weeks holiday at this hotel where the standards have certainly dropped since our last visit a few years ago ! The hotel itself is spotlessly clean with large and well serviced rooms, and has good leisure facilities and nightly entertainment,(albeit with second rate,unheard of singers / comedians). Lots of staff who are very helpful, cheerful and polite and seem to be happy in their jobs.
However, many guests including my wife and I were very unhappy with the Restaurant which was "Cafeteria" style only, with the inevitable queues, where hot food was almost always cold...having been left on the servery for "self help" This was particularly true at Dinner where the priority for some staff seemed to be "To sell as much wine and bottled water as possible" above all else (BEWARE ...a small bottle of water at just under £2 !!). Gone....the "A la Carte" Resturant of earlier years along with Tea/coffee making facilities in rooms (More money to be made from sales at the Bar ....but "Health & Safety" given as the reason !) To be fair to this hotel, I must add that breakfast was excellent with a good selection of both Continental & English choices including cereals, fresh fruit, tea / coffee etc.
The hotel is located close to shops and Bars and only a few hundred yards to a small beach beside which is a Tennis Court, snack bar and outside pool with sun beds and shades...all just across the road from the main hotel complex and owned by the hotel but also open to the Public and therefore a charge of 4 Euros for sunbeds even though you are a hotel guest !! Sun beds in the Main hotel pool are FREE, if you can get one but you will have to be up early to beat the "Towel Brigade".....and they're all ENGLISH.
Disabled customers should note that there are some 6 - 10 steps leading to the main entrance with no wheelchair ramp. There are lifts to all floors except the Basement where the public toilets are located (stairs only).
To summarise.... It is a pretty good Hotel on the whole, with the only problem area being the Restaurant and the apparent obsession with making money. A hotel with 4* rooms, 2* Restaurant and 5* prices."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of October 2008

Hotels near Hotel Rocamarina

Stayed at Hotel Rocamarina? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Rocamarina

• mobileali by mobileali

"Get thes unbed situation sorted, either more sunbeds or a stricter policy implemented. "

• Carol H by Carol H

"The excursions were well worth it and the local walks were great fun "

• THOMSON MAJORCAN EXPERIENCE by THOMSON MAJORCAN EXPERIENCE

"OK but dont expect too much "

• G.P. by G.P.

"A visit to Porto Petro and La Figuera are musts. "

• funlovingmel by funlovingmel

"Yes good idea not letting people to bag lounget till 9,but there is still a problem with people waiting in outside area,we did not get a chance to sit by the pool "

Hotel Rocamarina is also called