Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort

Avenida Cala Gran 2, 07660 Cala d'Or, Majorca Spain

Great location, but basic

"I took my 7 year old son here for a short break (6 days) at the start of the school holidays, as we'd been to Cala d'Or many times over the past 20 years or so and love the resort with all its pretty coves. I booked the hotel Cala Gran as it's very central, we opted for half board and on arrival, planned to change it to breakfast and lunch, as we wanted to be able to eat out in the many restaurants in the centre in the evening. Swapping to lunch was fine, although we only ate in the hotel restaurant (which is actually across the bridge in the sister hotel 'Hotel Costa del Sur' ) on two occasions. I was put off due to the fact that we had to pay for soft drinks with lunch. I was rudely presented with a bill and when I queried it the staff got very rude. I would also not recommend the food, it was pretty vile to be honest. At breakfast you are presented with a choice of ham, cheese, bread, eggs, or bacon/sausage. No fresh fruit, or yoghurt! OK if you want to eat the full english, but please... a few pots of yoghurt or melon/grapefruit (even tinned would have been better than nothing). hence we actually only ate breakfast in the hotel 4 days out of 6, the rest of the time we ate breakfast out. I was so glad we weren't on an All Inclusive basis, as the thought of that buffet food for breakfast, lunch and dinner would have been horrible. Cala D'or has so many nice restaurants in the town centre, in the pedestrian area you have Don Leone's (our personal favourite), plus many other typical Mallorcan and spanish places. Most do cater for less adventurous (pizza / steaks etc) if you want it, but we like eating paella etc when on holiday. I think it was a mistake to book half board at this hotel. Whilst it has a nice pool, the entertainment was almost non-existent and my son wouldn't have wanted to join the kids mini-disco in any case. The hotel is ideal as a base, from which to explore, but I would not recommend it for families who like to stay around the hotel for the whole holiday. Rooms were cleaned every day, but only if you put the sign outside your door. Our room (409) overlooked the pool area, very loud at night. Beach at Cala Gran (20 metres from hotel) is very good, this year it seemed much quieter - possibly an effect of the euro - but Cala d'or in general much quieter than previous years. Don't forget to also visit the little Cala D'or beach, Cala Esmerelda, Cala Sinau (great if you are hiring bikes as it's only 30 minute cycle ride away), Cala mondrago via the glass bottom boat. Mallorca has so much to offer, so best to hire a car or bikes and get around yourself. Next year I expect we'll rent a villa and self cater. I won't be staying at the Hotel Cala Gran again!"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of August 2009

Great hotel, great location, great staff, great holiday

Good

"We stayed at the Cala Gran at the beginning of July for a week and had the most relaxing holiday we have had in years. We could of stayed another few weeks. The hotel is in a fantastic location. We stayed on an all inclusive basis which we have never done before as we don't like to be tied to one place but this hotel is so close to the beach that you can walk there for a couple of hours then come back for lunch. When we arrived we were allocated a very nice apartment which overlooked the pool however we asked if we could have a sea view which the manager happily arranged for us for a small charge. He was very accommodating and made us feel very welcome. The room that we changed to was lovely. All the staff in the hotel were very helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed the food as it was a good mixture which we prefer rather than having english dishes all the time.
The hotel has four swimming pools which makes it feel very intimate even though it is a large complex.
Cala D'or is a lovely resort with plenty of bars and restaurants and also a nice marina.

We would definately come back to this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of July 2009

Absolutely fantastic place to stay!

Good

"This is our fourth year in a row staying at the Cala Gran Apts in Cala D'or. They are absolutely perfect for us and we wouldnt think of staying anywhere else. The staff are always very friendly and helpful going out of their way to make sure everything is to our satisifaction - special mention to Paco he will sort anything out for you at the drop of a hat. The apartments are situated in an ideal location - the beach is a 2 min walk away and its the same to the lovely restaurants at night time. The apartments are basic but more importantly they are clean. There are plently of pools to choose from and once again they are kept very clean - along with the gardens which are kept immaculate!
Cala dor is an excellent resort if you are a couple or a family, there are no 20somethings to be seen. The short stroll to the marina is a MUST - millionaires row with yachts to die for, the restaurants here are the best on the island - especially Acuarius, we ate here 3 times and the food is always supberb! Lorenzo the manager goes out of his way to accommadate you and is great with the kids!We cant see past Cala dor for a holiday and the Cala Gran apartments are fantastic - we wouldnt dream of staying anywhere else! Once Xmas is over we hope to get booking AGAIN for next year! I couldnt rate this place highly enough & hope if you are reading this i have managed to persuade you to go! Im sure you will have as an enjoyable a time as we always do!"

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of July 2009

great location but very basic

"basic hotel, good location as about 10m from beach, no tv in room, minimal facilities in hotel, no entertainment, one very small pool. food was ok but we ended up going out every night because we seemed to be the only english couple there!!! love cala d'or, is my favourite holiday destination but wouldn't go back to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of July 2009

clean and basic, close to beach and restaurants,all you need for self-catering.

Good

"The cala gran is split into 4 blocks,the main one being the hotel,other three are apartments. After reading alot of reveiws we decided to give it a try selfcatering. The hotel is very smart inside and out with a good pool area and activites for children during the day with entertainment at night for mums and dads. We stayed in the apartment blocks, which has its own pool and sun beds, a tip though if you want a sun bed you really do have to get one early 8.00 - 9.00am as the usual towels are booked on them.
The room we had was basic but clean, with a toaster,kettle,cooker, fridge and utensils, cooker took a bit of figuring out but got it working eventually, couple of pots and frying pans to cook with,lets face it you dont go on holiday too cook al a'carte meals do you, and some plates and curtlery, enough to get you by. we had no complaints really as we are easily pleased and do not nit pick, just get on and make do. The beds were a bit hard but fine for a week, the only room fault i could make is a shortage of plug sockets, and the ones that were there were in the wrong place. The resort itsef is very good, got all thats required for a quitish time. Good, and plenty of places to eat, kareoke bars, sport bars,dancing bars,and a couple of night clubs, the outside entertainment bars close at midnight but dont worry it starts again inside, a good policy as you are not bombarded with thump thump all night if you know what i mean. cruising the restuarants you do get hasseled by the front men, but that adds to the fun and you can get a deal out of them. Most places to eat in cala dor itself are centered in the middle and easy to find, the 2 best we found were the Casa Blanca, on the main street, and the Es Caliu in the square. there are also a few good ones around the marina,as in the Porto Nino. all in all we had a good hol so do enjoy Cala dOr."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of June 2009

Would definitely come back here!!

"I don't know why this hotel has had so many bad reviews? I'm a single parent and got a really good deal for an all inclusive 6 day break over May half term. My son is a very picky eater, he's 3 and he tends to live on chicken nuggets, chips etc, so I was worried about the food. He was fine. He had sausages, bread rolls and there was a good selection of food available. If you wanted to you could eat all day with snacks available between the set meal times.
We arrived on a late flight and didn't realise how long the transfer would be. After all the drop offs it took about two hours so it wasn't great. I would try and get better outbound flights next time. The hotel was clean, good sized room. It was a bit noisy a couple of nights but whatever room you had it wouldn't make any difference. It was fine, it's like that in any resort centre.
The best thing was the close proximity to the beach, literally over the road. At the time we went it was relatively quiet, plenty of sunbeds and the sand was not baking!!! The weather was great and the sea was just about bearable but too cold for my son. The pool at the gotel was great, clean area and most afternoons we would go back, get a snack and then chill out by the pool.
I have to commend the staff who are very friendly and hard working. One fault is that it isn't very clear about the facilities, and it was a bit like "ask if you want to know what's going on cos they won't tell you".
Another negative was that our trip to see The Pirate Show was cancelled due to lack of interest in the hotel. My son was looking forward to that so that was a real shame. They did not advise us how we could book to see it another way.
Cala D'Or itself is great. Great selection of shops, restaurants and the marina is not far away. You can get a little train which does a circuit every hour around the resort to see the main areas.
This place is ideal for a short break away, especially if you just want to chill out and totally unwind. there's not loads to do but you won't get bored.
I hope this helps some people. I will definitely take my son there again, and my parents want to come too next time."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of June 2009

it's a good ***hotel, verry friendly personel

Good

"We stayed 8 days, half pension in Cala Gran. Room is basic, but for a ***hotel oke. We had a room on the see side. Beuatiful from de balkon. Breakfast and dinner buffet oke. Dinner buffet with a cold, warm en dessert part. Every day another buffet.
Near the centre of Cala 'd Or. Just a few minutes walk. Far enough we didn't hear the noice in the evening/night.
We will be back."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of May 2009

It`s not for the lively

"The resort is very quite compared to magaluf etc. Room was very basic no hair dryer tv remote costs 15 euros a week rooms do not get clean sheets/bedding for our entire stay 11 days. Maid never even swept floor of room.Food in restaurant was ok good choice maybe a bit to much fried food and soft desserts but hey your aboard. Food in bar was cold, vile and not even worth putting on plate DON`T bother to even attempt to eat it, sometimes it had been sitting there unheated since 10.30 am until 17.00. Location is great, walk through underpass to nice sandy beach. Hotel is mixed with mainly German and British. A.I. includes soft drinks such as coca cola,coca cola light, sprite,fanta.Male bar staff can very uninterested in serving customers but female staff work hard.We think that the maid for our room was poor but other maids seem to clean rooms better,luck of the draw maybe.heated main pool but other two pools unheated.Hotel is also called cala Gran I, Cala Gran II, and CALA GRAN APPTS.No gym and tennis is only available if you pay 14 euros an hour."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of May 2009

a brilliant place to stay, just go after may 1st when the town comes to life!!

"The food was brilliant with lots of choices. The waiting staff were excellent, the reception staff ok, bar staff ok.
The hotel was very clean, room decent size, enough room for both mine and my daughters stuff!!!
Overall a great stay just not much to do as the season doesn't really start til 1st May.
Enjoyed our time there and would definately go again."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of April 2009

A nice hotel - The Cala Gran and the Costa Del Sur

Good

"Just got back this afternoon, stayed 3 - 10th April 2009 on half board basis. Quiet area for this time of year - but that suits me. Hotel was clean and split into two complex's; the cala gran (main hotel) and the costa del sur for the apartment units.

Breakfast (8-10am) has the usual choice from cereals, cold meats to a full cooked choice.

Lunch is served for those who choose the all inclusive option (I didn't.) This is available for 15 euros per day.

Dinner (18:00-19:30) is the first sitting - (19:45-21:00) is the second sitting - you'll get either a blue or red passcard when you sign in at reception, this depends which sitting you'll attend for dinner. Again cold meats and a good selection (different every day) of mainly english foods are available.

One pool is heated (cala gran) the pool in the costa del sur isn't heated.

The town of Cala d'or is a quiant little haven of tiny alleyways and lovely bars and eating places covering all tastes, budjet, evening meals and the quiet expensive end (but that is reflected in the poor euro - sterling exchange rate.)

Take your own tolietries etc - because they're very exspensive, £5 for shampoo, £8 for male/female body spray, £12 for suncreen.

£2 for a small bottle of water - but get yourself to one of the many Spar stores and you'll get a 6 liltre drum of water for £3, fill up your bottle each day and cut the costs.

There are many inlets and coves to explore, you can catch a tourist (toy) bus/train to many of these, 3.5 euros each way, but I walked to many of them from the hotel, they're only 10/15 minutes to get there. Cala Esmeralda (turn left) outside the hotel, pass the Spar store, left at the t-junction and this lovely resort with three huge swimming pools/bars/shops is 10 minutes on your left - it's situated in a cul-de-sac so you can't get lost. Well worth a day out there to relax in this gorgeous cove.

Left outside the hotel, then right up the hill a little and the taxi rank will take you to any place on the Island, they have a published printed prices list to various resorts, but beware - it's very very expensive to use a taxi on the Island - 68 euros (69 pounds) for a 50 minute taxi to Palma - and that's only one-way.

The bus is a much better option and is 7.50 euros one-way, but the bus stop has to be found first - ask for the ADROVER bar, it's a 7 minute walk from the hotel, the hotel staff will give you directions - have a walk out one evening to find it. The main times for the bus are 09:10am and 12:45pm to Palma and 14:00 - 18:00 for the return to Cala d'or.

Overall the hotel could have been better (but couldn't they all,) the downstairs bar in the cala gran is the hub of activity after the evening meal. But I always went out to discover the local bars/coffee houses.

The locals are very friendly, local teenagers are few and far between, I heard no disturbances in the week I was there and I walked around the entire town every night from 9pm till sometimes 11pm.

The hotel location on literally right on the beach which is just a perfect place to relax, the water is very very clear (but damn cold this time of year.)

The room was cleaned everyday, the towels changed everyday, a sign on the bathroom door tells you to throw you're towel(s) on the bathroom floor if you want them changing, quite odd I thought; but it does work!

Get yourself down to the harbour at Cala d'or, again just a 10 minutes walk from the hotel and see how the other half live. Million pound boats I kid you not! A wonderful place for lunch.

Cala Egos, 20 minute walk or the (toy) bus/train will get you there is a small cove, private and quite beautiful.

Overall Cala D'or, the resort, the hotel, the food, the look and feel is very good. Take with you what you can with the euro/£ being so poor.

Have a good holiday at the Cala Gran or the Costa Del Sur, I did.

Neil Wilkinson."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of April 2009

Very old fashioned and small but clean

Good

"Have just returned from a week at the Costa Del Sur hotel and although we had a fantastic holiday, there are a few comments I would like to make about this hotel.
We arrived at six o'clock in the morning and were put in the tiniest hotel room I'd ever seen. We are a family of 2 adults, 1 child and 1 baby. There was a double bed, a single bed and a cot crammed into a room with 1 wardrobe and no floor space at all. We had nowhere to stand cases or the pushchair. We were too tired to complain at the time, however when i did the next day, we were moved to a much larger room where the kid's bedroom was bigger than our original room!
The food got better as the week went on but the restaurant was too small for the amount of people that they crammed into it and like the rest of the hotel, it was very dated. There was a kids menu but we only found out about it because another family told us half way through our holiday.
The pool nearest to our hotel block was very small but I actually found that an advantage as my 5 year old daughter could play by herself but I could always see her. There was also a kid's club which was quite good.
On the last day we had to vacate our room at midday but weren't been picked up until midnight. We asked if we could pay to keep our room on but were told 'no way'. We were told that we could use a courtesy room to shower and get ready and that luggage could be left in a separate room ( which wasn't locked and was easily accessible). When we came to use the courtesy room, we had to wait for an hour and a half as there was a queue and the 'room' was actually a shower and sink with a small bench in there. We were disappointed as it was very difficult to get us all ready in there as it was like a sauna.
The location of this hotel was fantastic and we will definately return to Cala D'or but I don't think we'd return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2007

Great Location

"Very friendly staff, Food was fantastic we stayed all inclusive for a week, i have read bad reviews on the food in this hotel so we were very surprised on how good it was.
The hotel is in a great location, just across the road from cala gran beach. The only downfall i think this hotel has is that the rooms are quite small and very tired looking, there was myself,husband and 13 year old son sharing one room with 3 single beds all next to one another, not good really when i had to pay adult price for my son!
This hotel is part of a complex, the part we were in catered more for are german friends, the television in the room was even in german!"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of August 2007

Hotels near Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort

Stayed at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort

• good value holiday by good value holiday

"Go to some of the beautiful beaches surrounding the area. "

• Den N by Den N

"ask for a room close to reception and main facilities! "

• Princess by Princess

"Lovely, quiet, ideal for couples and families "

• clare by clare

"Excellent place to relax with the family "

• dawn by dawn

"Very close to resort centre and beach "

Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort is also called