Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort

• tennis court
  • kids club

( 1983 reviews)
Good

Clean but very basic room

Reviewed Thu 20th of August 2015

"Stayed here for 1 week July 2015. Great location and been to Cala D'or many times but first time at Hotel Cala Gran. Stayed on a self catering basis so cant comment on food. Check in very efficient, friendly and helpful reception staff. Hotel very clean. There are several 'blocks' and we were a good 3 minute walk from the main part of hotel. Met up with relatives and used their pool at different complex so again cant comment on pool area. This was just a base for me and my Son. Apartment was basic and dated, well in need of an update, the doors to balcony had wood all flaking off and a bedroom door had a punch mark in it. It was however cleaned daily with a towel change. 2 wardrobes. Sofa bed in main room was small and old looking. Iv stayed at the Sol Cala Dor and Es Revell and this was nowhere near the standard of their rooms. To be fair I booked last minute - it was reasonably priced and that's best I can say, probably wouldn't stay again at this place unless the rooms are modernized."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of August 2015

very good value

Reviewed Mon 17th of August 2015

"This hotel was located in a very beautiful location. The hotel was friendly and the staff helpful. The food was plentiful and no one was ever hungry, they catered for everyone. The only dislike was there was not a lot of umbrellas by the pool. The beach is one of the prettiest ones I have seen in Spain and I have been to every region of Spain. The rooms are clean and adequate and very spacious. I was an ex stewardess and have seen a lot of places. I would not hesitate to come here again. In fact I am thinking of coming next year with more of my family. The weather is quite hot so ensure you wear good factors on the children. All in all a fantastic holiday and a good value one."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of August 2015

A must place to visit

Reviewed Thu 25th of September 2014

"It is a lovely hotel situated in beautiful grounds the hotel was spotless the rooms where spotless the staff could not do enough for you-the service at the bars was spot on-the food was of a mixed variety but there was always some thing you could manage -The surrounding area was full of bars and restaurants the pool areas were spotless the only thing that let them down was the lack of sun beds-but there were plenty of tables and chairs where you could sit and relax-My wife and I will definitely be going back next year."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of September 2014

excellent

Reviewed Tue 20th of September 2011

"Just returned from cala gran apartments. Rooms very clean and had everything you needed. Location excellent 5 minutes from everything. Restaurants in the main bit a little pricey and all offered the same menu. But on the outskirts of the main bit, eating and drinking was alot cheaper and just as good if not better. Small lovely beach and can get very busy. We did try other beaches in the area but they were all the same. If your looking for a wide stretch of sand this is not the area to go.

Would return to this resort and apartments again."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of September 2011

Basic Appartments

Reviewed Tue 24th of August 2010

"HI just returned from these appartments. They were cleaned most days. Appartments very basic+++ and in need of updating to a good standard.
We were situated in the C-2 block which had a lovely position within gardens.
Would not return to these again or Cala D or as felt no heart to the place and was too man made."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of August 2010

Excellent

Reviewed Mon 12th of July 2010

"Just returned from two weeks in Cala D'or. These apartments are basic, but, immaculate. Air conditioning a big bonus. Apartments cleaned daily. Staff are friendly and whilst I was away it was my Mum's 65th Birthday. The management had took the trouble to check our passports and on the day left a bottle of champagne in our room. Lovely gesture. Pool area great, plenty of loungers and a 2 minute walk from the beach. I would highly recommend these apartments."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of July 2010

Excellent

Reviewed Fri 15th of October 2010

"Excellent acomadation, very polite staff! very clean rooms, loved every minute of being there, we prevously went for a week in 2008 and lovbed it that much that we went again in 2009 last summer! would definatly go again and would recommend for familys or couple to check it out! overall experince 10/10"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of July 2010

Great location, but basic

Reviewed Wed 6th of March 2013

"I took my 7 year old son here for a short break (6 days) at the start of the school holidays, as we'd been to Cala d'Or many times over the past 20 years or so and love the resort with all its pretty coves. I booked the hotel Cala Gran as it's very central, we opted for half board and on arrival, planned to change it to breakfast and lunch, as we wanted to be able to eat out in the many restaurants in the centre in the evening. Swapping to lunch was fine, although we only ate in the hotel restaurant (which is actually across the bridge in the sister hotel 'Hotel Costa del Sur' ) on two occasions. I was put off due to the fact that we had to pay for soft drinks with lunch. I was rudely presented with a bill and when I queried it the staff got very rude. I would also not recommend the food, it was pretty vile to be honest. At breakfast you are presented with a choice of ham, cheese, bread, eggs, or bacon/sausage. No fresh fruit, or yoghurt! OK if you want to eat the full english, but please... a few pots of yoghurt or melon/grapefruit (even tinned would have been better than nothing). hence we actually only ate breakfast in the hotel 4 days out of 6, the rest of the time we ate breakfast out. I was so glad we weren't on an All Inclusive basis, as the thought of that buffet food for breakfast, lunch and dinner would have been horrible. Cala D'or has so many nice restaurants in the town centre, in the pedestrian area you have Don Leone's (our personal favourite), plus many other typical Mallorcan and spanish places. Most do cater for less adventurous (pizza / steaks etc) if you want it, but we like eating paella etc when on holiday. I think it was a mistake to book half board at this hotel. Whilst it has a nice pool, the entertainment was almost non-existent and my son wouldn't have wanted to join the kids mini-disco in any case. The hotel is ideal as a base, from which to explore, but I would not recommend it for families who like to stay around the hotel for the whole holiday. Rooms were cleaned every day, but only if you put the sign outside your door. Our room (409) overlooked the pool area, very loud at night. Beach at Cala Gran (20 metres from hotel) is very good, this year it seemed much quieter - possibly an effect of the euro - but Cala d'or in general much quieter than previous years. Don't forget to also visit the little Cala D'or beach, Cala Esmerelda, Cala Sinau (great if you are hiring bikes as it's only 30 minute cycle ride away), Cala mondrago via the glass bottom boat. Mallorca has so much to offer, so best to hire a car or bikes and get around yourself. Next year I expect we'll rent a villa and self cater. I won't be staying at the Hotel Cala Gran again!"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of August 2009

Great hotel, great location, great staff, great holiday

Reviewed Thu 7th of March 2013

"We stayed at the Cala Gran at the beginning of July for a week and had the most relaxing holiday we have had in years. We could of stayed another few weeks. The hotel is in a fantastic location. We stayed on an all inclusive basis which we have never done before as we don't like to be tied to one place but this hotel is so close to the beach that you can walk there for a couple of hours then come back for lunch. When we arrived we were allocated a very nice apartment which overlooked the pool however we asked if we could have a sea view which the manager happily arranged for us for a small charge. He was very accommodating and made us feel very welcome. The room that we changed to was lovely. All the staff in the hotel were very helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed the food as it was a good mixture which we prefer rather than having english dishes all the time.
The hotel has four swimming pools which makes it feel very intimate even though it is a large complex.
Cala D'or is a lovely resort with plenty of bars and restaurants and also a nice marina.

We would definately come back to this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of July 2009

Absolutely fantastic place to stay!

Reviewed Wed 6th of March 2013

"This is our fourth year in a row staying at the Cala Gran Apts in Cala D'or. They are absolutely perfect for us and we wouldnt think of staying anywhere else. The staff are always very friendly and helpful going out of their way to make sure everything is to our satisifaction - special mention to Paco he will sort anything out for you at the drop of a hat. The apartments are situated in an ideal location - the beach is a 2 min walk away and its the same to the lovely restaurants at night time. The apartments are basic but more importantly they are clean. There are plently of pools to choose from and once again they are kept very clean - along with the gardens which are kept immaculate!
Cala dor is an excellent resort if you are a couple or a family, there are no 20somethings to be seen. The short stroll to the marina is a MUST - millionaires row with yachts to die for, the restaurants here are the best on the island - especially Acuarius, we ate here 3 times and the food is always supberb! Lorenzo the manager goes out of his way to accommadate you and is great with the kids!We cant see past Cala dor for a holiday and the Cala Gran apartments are fantastic - we wouldnt dream of staying anywhere else! Once Xmas is over we hope to get booking AGAIN for next year! I couldnt rate this place highly enough & hope if you are reading this i have managed to persuade you to go! Im sure you will have as an enjoyable a time as we always do!"

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of July 2009

great location but very basic

Reviewed Mon 4th of March 2013

"basic hotel, good location as about 10m from beach, no tv in room, minimal facilities in hotel, no entertainment, one very small pool. food was ok but we ended up going out every night because we seemed to be the only english couple there!!! love cala d'or, is my favourite holiday destination but wouldn't go back to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of July 2009

Cala Cala Cala

Reviewed Tue 30th of June 2009

"These apartments are beautifully situated literally 2 mins from the beach and 5 at most from the start of the shopping area. 15 mins walk to the marina where there are exquisite restaurants (or you could catch the resort 'train').
Pool clean, rooms more than adequate.
I think the review by Miss R Oughton cant possibly be Cala D'or in Majorca - she talks of Haven caravans - they're not here - just hotel or apartments. It's unfortunate it's been posted against the wrong place.
The beach is exceptionally clean (blue flag) and safe for the children. Its a bay and this provides a little shade down one side if you need it, or there is shade to hire.
Brilliant range of eateries and shops in the town. Local supermarket nearby plus few Spar shops. All in all a geat location and very reasonably priced apartments.
We have been there twice and intend to return in 2010 having done North majorca this year but not liking it anywhere near as much"

• Travel date: Sun 28th of June 2009

Hotels near Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort

Top traveller tips for Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort

• good value holiday by good value holiday

"Go to some of the beautiful beaches surrounding the area. "

• Den N by Den N

"ask for a room close to reception and main facilities! "

• Princess by Princess

"Lovely, quiet, ideal for couples and families "

• clare by clare

"Excellent place to relax with the family "

• dawn by dawn

"Very close to resort centre and beach "

Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort is also called