Club Martha's Aparthotel

Carrer des Parc de La Mar 6, 07660 Cala d'Or, Majorca Spain

Cala d'Odour

Good

"We stayed here for just 3 nights at the end of July. The hotel was fine - it's only a 3* but everything was clean and worked ok. Bit noisy in the evenings until 12 pm but with a name like Club Marthas a lot of people expect and want this kind of entertainment.
The local beach - Cal d'Egos - has a huge problem with sewage...hence the title of this review.

Our first visit to it was about 2pm in the afternoon. You swim out about 20 yards and are suddenly engulfed by the most repulsive smell, coming from the drains of the giant hotels that front this tiny cove. The second time we swam we were actually surrounded by not just the smell but the real thing...floating, semi-treated sanitary pads, toilet roll...unidentifiable sludgy stuff.

The next day we went to Cala Gran, a 10 minute taxi ride from Marthas but a blue flag beach and the best in Cala d'Or in my opinion (although very crowded...you have to be a good swimmer to get past the crowds, then it's ok).

We decided to get up early and give Cala Egos a last go on the final morning. At 7.30 am we arrived...light but no-one there except a man in a little boat who was collecting all the sewage-related debris from the water !

Seriously, don't go anywhere near this beach until the reviews tell you they've cleared it up - there's plenty of alternatives. This part of the resort has a problem with stinky drains even on the streets...bit like Bangkok really."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of September 2006

Never again

"1) Park bench sofa bed 3 inches to short for my 6ft 4 boyriend
2) HAIR AND BREAD in the "bed"
3) Told to be quiet by "customer relations" staff (NB to management further training required )
4) Not enough sun beds
5) Room Very small, made smaller by the arrival of camp bed for said boyfriend to sleep on
6) Ants in bathroom along with more hair and general grubby stuff
7) Moved after 1 night which was the highlight of the holiday

So if you want to sleep in a dirty park bench and be abused by staff and listen to the birdy song all day and night this is the place for you. Apart from that it was fine!"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of August 2006

No large fanily rooms at Club Marthas

"We took a family holiday for 2 adults and 5 Children aged 4 to 11 for two weeks to Club Marthas from 6th July to 20 July 2006.
I only booked it about five weeks before departure as it was a last minute decision. Also my Wifes sister lives there and runs The Irish Bistro with her business partner.
We arrived at 7.30am in the morning. I knew that we could only have 2 one bed apts as this was the largest they had apparently.
No family rooms. We were self catering. The accomodation was very good if a little cramped for a family. The facilities in the complex were good. Plenty of pools although a little crowded. You had to be down early in the morning to get a sunbed during the first week as all the foreigners had their towels down and away for breakfast. You are not supposed to pre book the beds, but we all know what the Dutch and Germans are like when it comes to sunbeds! The second week they were chained up and were not released intil 8.30am. This helped somewhat.
The food and service were good although one night I came down from the room to get a glass of ice for a nightcap and was refused. I asked why and was told that because I was self catering and on this occasion not buying a drink I should go to the local supermarket for ice. I was disgusted. We bought drinks regularly during the day for the children and ourselves.
We had to hire a kettle and Iron during our stay as these are not included in s/c. There was a/c in the room which was great. There was also a tv but to turn the volume up you had to hire a remote control!
There are plenty of eateries around Cala Egos so we did not always eat in Marthas.
I would particularly recommend The Irish Bistro. The Fillet steak and champ are out of this world. Go to the Irishbistro for details. You will not be disappointed. Ask for Anne or Alan.
The entertainment at Marthas was good for children and adults alike. I found it to be a touch 'Eurovision'. The complex was 85% Dutch while we were there. This was not a problem although the language barrier did not help.
Overall a good holiday. If I go again I will book direct as this would be cheaper than going through an agent.
I also hope that they can accomodate larger families in future more easily."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of July 2006

great holiday

Good

"My mum ,daughter and myself had a weeks stay in club martha's we had a great time every thing was great and very clean very friendly could not fault anything.hope to go again soon."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of July 2006

Hmmmm....so so.

Good

"We (mum, dad and a two year old) spent a weeks holiday at Club Martha after deciding to take a last minute break. As the holiday was low cost we were not expecting the world from the accommodation and to be frank our expectations were not surpassed. We had a one bedroom s/c apt which was basic although clean and functional. Much of the previously mentioned refurbishments appear to have concentrated on the bathrooms and a/c units.

The cafe bar is pleasant and the waiting/bar staff are reasonably attentive. The cafe-bar meals are very reasonably priced and very child friendly. We did not use the main restaurant as there is a wide selection of places to eat in the surrounding area and also in the nearby Cala d'Or which offers a wider selection with more of a night-time vibe.

There are a number of pools although during our stay they were very crowded and so we purposely limited our time around them to an hour or so (kids swimming time). The daytime entertainment did have the 'Butlins' feel about it which is great for some and not for others. The kids club was fun and the animation team members enthusiastic. The evening entertainment was excellent with a good variety of shows for both kids and adults which can be loud especially with the end of night sing-along.

In general the hotel staff is friendly and the hotel did send along a complimentary bottle of bubbly for Jane's birthday. Maid service is a little hit and miss and we even opted to do a little extra cleaning ourselves, which would have been a bigger problem had we been staying longer. I am sure they would have sent a maid along had we have asked.

To surmise, Club Marthas is fine for a kids family holiday although we certainly would not recommend it for an adults only break."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of July 2006

Rats

"We booked an Es Bolero studio apartment with dedicated holidays in june 2006.
Dont even consider the studio apartments! I dont know what the one bed apts. are like but this complex was supposed to be refurbished last year. They are horrible, dingy and dark.
We were on the ground floor. You couldent swing a cat in the apartment. In fact i wish i had a cat to kill the all rats in the garden. A rat even tried to get into the apartment when we were inside!!!!!! the Cala d'or marina is lovely and the resturants on the waterfront were well priced for a waterfront location. if you are considering Cala d'or stay around the cala figuera side of the marina, at least there is atmosphere and style there!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 24th of June 2006

kids paradise

"I have just come back from a weeks stay at club martha's with two children ages 11 and 7. What can i say? fantastic.

I went on my own (husband working) and was really impressed with the facilities.... five a side football, tennis court, three swimming pools, indoor swimming pool (this was a godsend as weather was very mixed).

My 11 year old played football, spent time swimming and attempted scuba diving and as there were lots of boys of a similar age i did not see him all day (except for feeding and drinks). His special friend was Justin from Leicester. My 7 year old daughter joined the Molly club where they kept the kids entertained with various activities and as with my son met lots of friends.

The rooms were spacious and clean with large balcony's. Mine overlooked the five a side pitch which probably was not one of the best views on the complex but how long does one spend in a room while away (most rooms had pool views)

I stayed on a half board basis, even though there was a limited choice of food everything was tasty and hot and there was always something the children would eat e.g chicken nuggets, chips, spagetti. There was an onsite resturaunt on the complex which was excellent and i have to say that the paella was probably the best ive ever tasted. There were also plenty of resturaunts in the resort and the centre of Cala D'or was a short taxi ride away.

The nightly entertainment because of the time of year was in the complex pub which was downstairs. They had the usual mini club, games but also had professional acts (Fallon the magician was a character). If you prefered not to watch the entertainment there was an excellent bar area upstairs where you could chat and drink.

I tended not to leave the complex because the children were happy and happy children make happy adults with this in mind i would not hesitate to go to Club Martha's again.

A special hello to Deb, Steve, Fiona and Chloe i hope you all got home safely and it was lovely to meet you all."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006

Martha's Cala Dor - Rip off Hotel

"We have just returned from a week at the Marths's at Cala Dor Majoroca . The drains in the hotel smelt the cleaners only made the beds but most of all we got ripped off by the restaurtant manager who made us pay more than the price stated. It the Buffet is a rip off. We were glad to leave.."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006

Teenagers happy, parents relaxed...

"We have just returned from Club Martha's, Cala d'Or - relaxed and everyone happy!
We had booked only three weeks previously and this Thomas Cook holiday was the cheapest I'd found for a family of four therefore my expectations weren't particularly high. Wow - I wouldn't have been disappointed even had I expected much more!
The hotel / apartment complex was clean and well maintained - including the immaculate gardens. The staff, in fact all the locals, were very friendly and helpful. It does help if you try and say a few words in Spanish no matter how bad your accent is.
The room was very clean and well maintained. The cooking facilities were basic, but I wasn't planning on slaving over a hot stove on holiday anyway! If you are with Thomas Cook you get free hire of a kettle and toaster - a bonus but not essential.
I had emailed the hotel prior to arriving as I was a bit worried that we were self catering and we were arriving Saturday evening before Easter Sunday / Monday. They replied promptly (twice) telling me not to worry the supermarkets would be open, and they were. The best one within short walking distance is just behind Yates Bar just down the road. You can buy English food but live a little and try the Spanish it's much better.
Despite it being the Easter school holidays the resort and hotel was quite quiet - just right in my opinion. There were no crowds, no ques and hardly anyone on the beaches. However there were enough people around for us to hardly ever see our teenagers. Our 14 year old son found a gang of mates and was out swimming, playing pool or table tennis most of the time. We had no qualms about letting him stay out late in the evening (within the complex) as it felt very safe. Our almost 18 year old daughter also made lots of friends and we didn't worry about her going out in the evening - we didn't see any rowdy behaviour and there was a real community feel.
We didn't take the hotel transfer option, we pre-hired a car directly from the airport. If you look for cheap car hire on the internet you can find deals that only cost a little more than paying the coach transfer and give you independence for the whole week. In high season you may find it a little difficult to find a parking space close to the hotel (the hotel car park is very small) but in mid season it wasn't a problem. We used Europa/Gold Car Rental and the car was in excellent condition. The roads are very good - many of them so new our sat nav (we took with us) didn't recognise them. I would recommend buying a detailed map as the free ones you are given aren't very easy to follow.
The food at the snack bar / restaurant and the pizza stand within the complex are cheaper than many of the bars and restaurants in the resort and the food is good - not cordon bleu, but as good as anything else we ate in the resort. It was a shame there weren't more typically Spanish choices on the menu as we like to be a bit adventurous - but you would need to travel away from the resort for that.
We went on one organised trip - the Pirates dinner show. The show was excellent and we really enjoyed it - but I wish it hadn't been billed as a "dinner" show. I would rather have paid less and had nothing to eat. Over 12s are considered as adults (although nobody checks ages...) so the whole thing cost us about £130 for four (I think). The "dinner" was a piece of chicken, two sausages, baked beans, chips and coleslaw followed by a tub of ice-cream and as much free sangria and pop as you wanted (funny, didn't even feel light headed after almost a full jug?). I certainly don't think it is worth the extra charge for better seats and a bottle of Cava as there is not much difference in the seating and it would have cost us nearly £200. The kids loved it and I'm glad we went, but it was over priced.
The entertainment team at Martha's were excellent - one of the best I've seen. They hadn't been there long and were only just warming up but their rendition of Grease was polished and funny. Mike, the team leader is wasted there - any talent scouts out there go and snap him up - he can sing, dance and looks like a blond Robbie Williams! The rest of the team were also friendly, talented and worked very hard - thank you to you all!
Well this is getting rather long but I could say so much more!!! A quick remark on the island - very clean and well kept, Cala D'Or is a bit like St Tropez but much cheaper and the locals are very friendly. There was some building work, but not half as much as I expected and it was very tidy. I would definitely go again and would probably go back to Martha's, we felt so at home there. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of April 2006

Family orientated hotel

Good

"The room is very spacious which had everything one could expect after we collected the electric kettle and toaster from reception the maid came in 3 days a week. The food option was limited but good value. We went at the start of the season and the local shops and bars were slowly starting to open up. The entertainment was limited to what was available in the hotel. The local bus service did not operate while we were there and bicycle hire is off complex only operated from the day before we left. We stayed on a self catering basis but ate out in the evening apart from twice in the hotel. The walk to the marina is about 20/30 minutes the taxi fare to Cala d'or is 5 euros one way. There is a supermarket in the shopping precinct 5 minutes away. We went to the Inca Market and were allowed only 2 hours to mingle, the drop off point is on a very busy dual carriageway junction and the market was a 10 minute walk from the dropp of point. The excursion was 18.50 euros through Thomas Cook and not good value for money others drove there and enjoyed it better."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of April 2006

Never ever consider this place to stay.

"The staff are a waste of space [unless you want to hire anything you require for self catering, must be on bonus' who ever needs to hire a kettle S/C]
Put me off Cala Dor, and Majorca for life, never be back"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of July 2015

Mixed thoughts

"We arrived at Club Martha at 11am to be told that out rooms would be ready at 2pm. We were a party of 3 adults and two children. We had booked 2 apartments half board. Both apartments turned out to be self cratering studios. The Living/bedroom/kitchen area was less than 10ft x 15ft. The two sofas doubled up as single beds! I went to reception to complain and was told the hotel was fully booked and couldn't be moved. I asked where the third bed was. We got back to the room later that day to find a folding camp bed. Neither of my children wanted to sleep on this so I spent 7 nights with my feet hanging over the edge!! The two other beds/sofas where just sponge on a wood. We had the room cleaned twice with fresh towels over the stay. You had to pay for everything from table tennis, TV, Wi-Fi, etc..

The food started off very well but seemed to go down hill as the holiday progressed. The buffet breakfast was good apart from one day when they where frying burgers rather than eggs!

Both my children (9&6) really enjoyed the daytime kids clubs and the evening entertainment this I give 10 out of 10 for. However the same songs and activates did where a bit thin after the 3rd night! The adult entertainment didn't start until 10.30pm by which time my children where ready for bed. I couldn't get to sleep until 12pm when the music stopped. I guess this is designed to keep you spending in the bar (until I found out people where going back to their rooms to top up their drinks!!)

The sun loungers were a joke you had people queuing up at 9am waiting for them to be un-padlocked then take 6 each and not even use them until later that afternoon. All the pool sides are cramped with everyone on top of each other.

Overall the hotel is clean and the staff are friendly but I wouldn't go back due to the room size and the average food. "

• Travel date: Sat 17th of August 2013

Hotels near Club Martha's Aparthotel

Stayed at Club Martha's Aparthotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Club Martha's Aparthotel

• morak1952 by morak1952

"Knowing checkout isn't far away. "

• eveion by eveion

"lovely location, plenty to see and do... great beaches.. "

• nogoback by nogoback

"I always Email a hotel and requet my room type "

• Margaret J by Margaret J

"Getting Involved with the entertainment "

• susantony by susantony

"yates friendly staff and good food "

• Fred B by Fred B

"Try Tonys restaurant round the corner from Hotel. excellent food "

• Mark Thomson by Mark Thomson

"You will need to pay a few Euros for the kettle, TV and room safe - worth it but we barely used any of them "

• hughesss4 by hughesss4

"Beautiful town, plenty of restaurants but fairly expenses "

Club Martha's Aparthotel is also called