About Protur Alicia Hotel

• rooftop pool
  • adult pool

Marvellous Hotel

Reviewed Wed 25th of May 2011

"Just arrived home from a fantastic holiday.The hotel was marvellous,rooms clean and spacious,and kept clean by the friendly cleaning staff.Restaraunt very clean,food
very good,staff very friendly and helpful.The people who worked in reception were extremely helpful at all times,nothing was a problem for them.Bar staff very good,very friendly and pleasant even when they were very
busy.Entertainment person Chris got on with everyone of every age group.Pool side games were good fun,you got to meet other guests and had a really good laugh with them.
Evening entertainment very good, a mixture of acts to entertain all age groups.Defientley going to book for next year."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of May 2011

Beautiful Location, Lovely Hotel

Reviewed Wed 22nd of April 2009

"We have just returned from the Alicia & it was lovely. We arrived late evening and a meal had been set out for us. There was no problem swapping one of the meat based meals for a veggie option. It wasn't until the next morning that we realised the full beauty of the location. We had opted for a seaview room (at no extra cost as most of the rooms are at this side)and the view was breathtaking. Our balcony was yards from the beach with no obstruction to the view.

The hotel is relatively small & was quiet because the season was not in full swing yet. Staff were mostly friendly & very helpful. We went with our 10 year old & she had a great time. Her favourites were the activities organised by Femke, who is brilliant. A lot of the clientele were elderly, but on the whole a lively bunch, and we didn't mind that. This may change in the summer, there may be more families.

The food was of a high standard, I have stayed in many 4 & 5 star hotels & this was one of the better examples of buffet style food I have experienced.

The evening entertainment was variable, we saw an acrobatic act which was amazing, but some of the singers were not to our taste. There are lots of bars in Cala Bona & Cala Millor within easy walking distance, which cater to most tastes.

The room was lovely, as with the rest of the hotel it was spotlessly clean, cool and well appointed.

It was a bit cold for the outdoor pool, our daughter braved it once because the indoor pool was very hot. Both pools were nice & there were plenty of free sunbeds around the pool on hot days, because the older crowd preferred the solarium.

The worst thing about the hotel was the Thomson rep, Toby. He didn't always turn up when expected and when he did I got the impression that he couldn't really be bothered. On our last day he should have been there at 4, but turned up at 5.30 to write a note saying he wasn't coming - this was typical, but fortunately we had no problems so didn't need him.

For us the Alicia was the perfect balance between too quiet & too lively - I wouldn't recommend the hotel or the resort for anyone who likes to go clubbing every night, but for a family holiday it is just right."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of April 2009

Fabulous, wonderful hotel & friendly staff

Reviewed Tue 23rd of December 2008

"To be honest I never even thought of reading any reviews, I just looked on the official website and saw how wonderful it looked and booked it, I was definitly not disappointed.
Having now read lots of reviews I thought I would write my own, I am 18 and my partner 21 and it suited us brilliantly.

On arrival, a small buffet was laid out with a selection of fresh meat, salad and bottle of water which was lovely.

Hotel
The hotel is wonderful, with its own indoor swimming pool which we regually used as it was rather on the chilly when we went in october. The jacuzzi was brilliant to. Bedrooms were well presented, maids did an excellent job every morning. My mother spoke to the hotel and they supplied a wonderful basket full of fresh fruit for a suprise for my birthday or champagne. The waiters and hotel staff were friendly and always willing to help.

Food
The food was incredible, I have never seen such a choice of food for breakfast and dinner, there was always different varieties every day. For breakfast you could have: english fry-up, pancakes, yoghurts, ceral, toast, crossiants, fresh fruit, etc. Dinner: pasta, meat, fish, chips, salad, cold meat, vegetables etc. Desserts were amazing so much choice and starters as well.

The Resturant Manager was extremely pleasent and shook our hands and took us to seats every night! You also get one night at the posh restaurant which definitly should not be missed. It was delicious! and VERY fulling.

Activites
There were lots of activities avaliable to do during the day including riffel shooting, killer pool, my partner thoroughly enjoyed himself. The entertainment in the evenings was extremely good, and a good variety. Seeing it was October you would think there wouldn't be much open, but that wasn't the way, lots of shops were open, bars and restaurants. We rented scooters and bikes at a reasonable price. Local buses were great and easy, we went to the Caves of Drach one day which was amazing, and well worth a visit. We even went to a safair Zoo, which was wonderful and even got to hold a baby tiger. We definitly made the most of our holiday. In the summer months there are water activites, which we are hoping to go back and do.
Furthermore, we walked down to Calla Millor, which is about 5-10min walk, which has lots of restuarants and shops with great deals. Well worth a visit.

The beach is nicer further along the coast, more sandy lots of seaweed one end. But it didn't put us off going for a swim.

I would recommend coming to this wonderful hotel, I think it would best suit couples and older people. Although there was a few families, I would think in summer holidays it would be more busier and more families. We will definitly be going back soon and will not be picking out ridiculous 'bad points' but instead enjoying our holiday at the fantastic Protur Alicia

Kara Tooley

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of December 2008

This is the second visit to the Alicia,...

Reviewed Fri 3rd of October 2008

"This is the second visit to the Alicia, lovely holiday, lots of sun, fantastic location, friendly staff, good food and company, excellent entertainment. What more can you ask for? Out of the hotel brilliant hosts at the liverpool bar. Fully recommend the steak pie and bisto gravy!!! Would definately go back to the Alicia... Brilliant! We found that the children all got on in the hotel, really good friends were made both old and young. Bit dissappointed that the indoor pool was not open but the main pool was not packed so it didn't seem to matter. Nightly entertainment was very good including Elvis, Abba Again!, Sonata all very entertaining. "

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of October 2008

Our eleventh visit to this hotel and the...

Reviewed Fri 19th of September 2008

"Our eleventh visit to this hotel and the most disappointing by far. Previous visits I'd have rated 9/10 so I was a little surprised when I read some of the latest reviews before we travelled this year - however they were not wrong. The hotel has been redecorated again since our last visit and looked very clean and tidy both in public areas and the rooms. Staff were always pleasant and cheerful. Several things really were a let down though. Air conditioning was very poor in the rooms with it's operation severely restricted by the staff with it seldom being in operation whether day or night despite temperatures of 34°-35°C and high humidity during much of our two weeks stay. The air blowers without the cooling air component (controlled by staff) was next to useless. The indoor pool was not in use at all - according to staff a handrail had been damaged by a child back in July and not replaced/repaired so they left it closed. On the subject of maintenance also two large glass panels in the hotel front doors were badly cracked. One of the biggest let downs of the holiday was the restaraunt. Paco the manager of countless years retired earlier this year and his replacement is really not up to the job - a waiter yes, but not manager material. Evening meals were supposed to start at 7:00pm but only twice during our stay did they commence on time (his days off) meaning that most days there were 40-50 guests queueing at the doors each night often for 10-15 minutes. Selection of dishes was still pretty good but the food was barely lukewarm. The only hot food on an evening was if you queued at the grill for fresh cooked food but choice was restricted to one dish. Cooked breakfasts were a disaster - cold fried eggs, cold fatty bacon and cold sausages were not appetising at all. On our last day with an early pick up from the hotel the reason for the cold food became apparent. The restaraunt is supposed to open for breakfasts at 8:00am but if leaving early you can go in at around 7:30am - when we did all the food for 8:00am was already out - mind you it still wasn't very warm. I still like the hotel for it's location - it's hard to beat it's sea view on a morning - however we'll be looking elsewhere for our holiday next year."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of September 2008

I first went to the Hotel Alicia in July...

Reviewed Sat 6th of September 2008

"I first went to the Hotel Alicia in July 2005 and what a holiday that was- it was brilliant. To be honest Christine and Matt, the hotel entertainers made the holiday they were excellent. Me and my boyfriend went, it was my choice as I had stayed in Cala Bona 11 times but at the Hotel Cala Bona not Alicia. We went to Alicia in July and had a ball we had a really really good time met loads of people. What we most liked was the day time activities cos my boyf does not like lying in the sun all day which is what i love to do but on that holiday i enjoyed the activities too. We enjoyed the night entertainment and everything about the holiday.

When we went in July 05 it was about £700.00 each which is reasonable for the time of year but when we went to book it for July 06 it was £930.00 each - we thought about it and as we had had such a good time the previous year we booked it - the same entertainers were there(Christine and Matt) and the holiday was great really enjoyed it just like the year before, cant comment too much on the restaurant as we just had little snacks as having a three course dinner (which is what we would have had) would make us bloated as at home we just have a light tea.

In Sept 07 i was on the internet and saw the holiday for £210 less per person so we booked it. I was so excited I could not wait to get there.......but unfortunately was disappointed with the holidyay. Matt was not there which is what I had expected, I did expect Christine to be there bt apparently she did not get on with management (the little fella who walks around in a suit who wears glasses) and basically was pushed out which is what I heard. The atmosphere was just so different, the two new girls who were the entertainers were appaulling, really really bad. I only played two of the poolside games whilst there for ten days and my boyf only played one, this was one of the reasons we went back and it is fun to get involved with the games as you meet people that way. They just did not entertain, they did not know how to speak to people they were boring more than entertaining. Sorry girls but i dont know how you are still there.

I would not rush back to this hotel which I find quite sad after all the good times we had there.

Places I would recommend: Melis Bar which is on the front food fantastic and the large Cruz Campo gets you a little tipsy very fast. Julies sandwich shop which is by Hotel Cala Bona right by the harbour they do lovely fresh sandwiches and homemade pies and stuff absolutely gorgeous. Lastly, the Waterfront bar which is situated right under the Hotel Alicia, it is run by a really nice welsh couple and serve lovely food, the roast dinners are fantastic. We only went there for a drink but when we seen all the people eating them we ordered one and we were not disappointed. They also do homemade chips which are fab.

• Travel date: Sat 6th of September 2008

We visited this hotel in July 2008 and a...

Reviewed Sat 23rd of August 2008

"We visited this hotel in July 2008 and as 2 couples in their mid 20’s looking for a fun and relaxing holiday. After hearing only good reviews about the Alicia hotel we arrived feeling happy with our choice. However, we would not recommend this hotel to a younger age group as we feel this hotel’s clientele was of an older generation.
Up on arrival at the hotel, we were not told any information regarding the hotel e.g. restaurant and that there was food waiting for us there after we had a long night of travel and were hungry. As we arrived on a Sunday, many places shut earlier than usual and could not find anywhere to get water/food etc. We only found this out because one couple arrived a week before the other and they had been told about this the week previous.
The rooms were spotless, if not on the small side but did have a good sea view from the balcony. The maids visited daily and always left the room in a high standard. I MUST mention the air conditioning. This was very inadequate. We spent many sleepless nights due to the poor quality of air conditioning. This simply was not good enough. It literally was so bad that we would have to take a cold shower before bed or we even resorted to moving one of the mattresses into the doorway where the air conditioning was situated so we could get a good nights sleep (a helpful hint – as the air con does not work once the patio door is open, if you purchase a magnet and place it on the door contact, the air con will still work once the door is open).
We stayed at the hotel under a half board basis and ate out most nights. The food in the restaurant obviously isn’t to everybody’s liking, although the quality of the food is let much to be desired – especially at breakfast. The bacon was very fatty, everything seemed to coated in oil, we noticed that the mushrooms they used for dinner the night before which were caked in garlic were re-used for breakfast the following day. They did offer however, a good choice and they did try to resemble a typical English Breakfast. Food on an evening was pretty much to the same standard. One member of our party had a grilled chicken breast from the grill area where one chef cooked meats for dinner. The chicken was severely under cooked. The restaurant on the whole didn’t seem to be a relaxing atmosphere. There were not enough waiters to cater for the amount of people. It was often mentioned by several people the restaurant held similarities to that of a bargain buffet.
The bar staff around the pool area and lounge were not only slow but rather rude. Some could not speak much English.
As for the entertainment for the hotel, in Alicia’s defence they did offer a diverse selection of entertainment every night. E.g. from Elvis impersonator to a simple quiz night. This was not our cup of tea. Therefore we decided to go elsewhere on an evening. (*recommendations below). The two entertainment staff - we feel they did seem to do a good job of intergrading with fellow holiday makers and occupying children. As we didn’t find many places to go in the resort on an evening to our liking we asked one of the entertainment girls, only to bump into her in a bar at night at around 3am. After insulting one of our party members we made a swift exit. We were then surprised to see her the following day at 11am when she then went on the tell us she had only got in at 7am and had no sleep. These people are supposed to be children entertainers during the day. The same entertainer also recommended us to go to a nightclub called Havana (Cala Millor) as there were not any clubs we could locate in the resort. We went to this club which was mainly full of Spanish locals and pick pockets, thus resulting in one of our bags being stolen. When we seen her in the bar the following night, we told her about the events which occurred in the Havana nightclub which she had recommended. Only to be told this happened in the same club to her all the time. The person who owned the bar we were in, also told us one of his friends had her bag stolen in the same club.
The resort Cala Bona was mainly for an older generation and had many Germans holidaying there also.
*If you do get stuck in this resort and you are in your 20’s we would recommend the following bars; Banana’s cocktail bar, Yates, British Bulldog and Cheers bar in Cala Millor. Stefan in Cheers bar was fantastic and always made the effort with his customers. Try the chicken parmesan if you want something to eat!
For eating outside of the hotel, recommendations are; Brother Bear Steak House (it might look a bit freaky inside with the bears but outside is fine and the food is nice), the restaurants in the marina in Cala Bona although very nice is a lot more expensive.
If you want to get a late check out, make sure you book this before leaving home. We were told that there was no rooms we could book until 6pm as they were already previously booked on the internet (this totally contradicts the hotel policy which states late check out rooms are available up on request 2 days prior to departure).
Overall, we made the best of a sticky situation. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone in our age group or families. For what we paid for this hotel our expectations were slightly higher than what was offered. "

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of August 2008

After reading the comments from former h...

Reviewed Mon 7th of July 2008

"After reading the comments from former holidaymakers and friends who stayed at the Alicia in 2006, we booked expecting to vote 10/10 for the hotel. What a disappointment. The hotel had been refurbished and was very nice but the restaurant was so disappointing. I have never stayed in a hotel where your dishes were never cleared after each course. We had to put our plates on other tables to make room for our next courses. There was only four waiters for the whole of the dining room. The head waiter, who should have been walking around and making sure there was tables set for guest and that everything was running smoothly, was actually taking in the money for the drinks all the time. When I complained about the tables not being cleared of dishes, I was totally ignored! I found the plates were hot at the salad bar and usually cold at the hot buffet bar. The food was nothing to write home about and usually luke warm. Check your wine glasses before you use them as mine quite often had lip marks on them. You could feel the staff in the dining room were disguntled and seemed to be under great pressure. If you went for dinner after 8.00 pm do not expect a full buffet as choices were not replaced once they were finished. The waiters seemed to be under pressure to start setting up for breakfast before the dining room was even half empty. Eventually a large trolley went around clearing tables of dishes which was not very pleasant if the trolley was situated at your table and you had to look at plates, glasses, cutlery and slops being collected. The bar staff were a bit better but still seemed under stress especially when the manager came round and did a bit of checking up. I did not find the manager very approachable and he seemd to be happier in the background and did not mix with the holidaymakers. As for the two young girls in charge of entertainment, they were hopeless. They had no personality and had no repore with the holidaymakers. Some nights the entertainment was good but many nights the acts struggled. My phone never worked in my room , even after complaining and my neighbours t.v. never worked and had no handset. Apart from these complaints, the hotel was very clean, balconies were fine and the view from our room was to die for. Our friends who stayed at the hotel a few years ago could not believe how it had changed. It was a hotel with no atmosphere and we would not go back. Also found a number of bars, restaurants and supermarkets closed down in Cala Bona. Some looked like they had just been abandoned."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of July 2008

We arrived at the Alicia at night – 10...

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2007

"We arrived at the Alicia at night – 10.30pm to be precise. Entry to the hotel involves two small steps or there is a long angled slope to the left of the revolving door entrance.

Looking at the hotel from the outside you'd be forgiven for thinking that it might be not up to the impression you have gained online or elsewhere.

Walk into the entrance lobby and you are greeted by a spacious area with a glassed off bar area with both having connecting doors to each other and the outside area. The light blue painted wooden décor along with the sparkling floors certainly gives this hotel a great first impression.

Walk along the bright corridor and turn right and you'll come across the lifts and stair areas to the bedrooms and dining areas. Arriving on the second floor our bedroom was soon found and then came our only problem – using the swipe key to gain access to the room.

While the actual effort of pushing the card down in a slot isn't exactly difficult, getting the card to register the fact it actually belongs there to open the door is sometimes a long drawn out process – though on the odd occasion it did work first time.

Our bedroom had the most astounding view with the palm trees in the fore ground, with the gentle sea pushing its way to the shore. The balcony had two plastic chairs along with a plastic table, and the front of the balcony wall was glassed for viewing the sea view while sitting outside. Inside the room it is perfectly adequate and although a tad on the small side it wasn't claustrophobic at all. The bedroom and on-suite are gleaming and in fact the whole hotel was virtually spotless.

At this point I should let you know that from November 2007 until April 2008 the hotel is shutting for refurbishments, which I can only assume to mean decorating, as I found it very hard to find fault apart from the indoor swimming pool ceiling.

Breakfast is served between 8am and 10am and evening meal is served between 7pm and 9pm – both are self service. We were allocated our table and that was ours for our week long stay. Breakfast consisted of a small selection of cereals, British cooked breakfast, a selection of yogurts and fruit, along with some meats and cheeses. Of course the there is bread and a toaster, and juice and coffee/tea.

Evening meal consists of three courses usually, soup (with croutons if required), main meal, and a selection of desserts, cheese and biscuits is also available. The selection of main meals is adequate and always includes salad and freshly cooked foods which you can order to your liking. However evening meals are not accompanied by drinks – which can be bought at your table. When we visited we had two medium bottles of water which costs €3.40 – not cheap.

Entertainment at the hotel again was fairly good apart from the nightly bingo they had on our visit. The speakers were sets to a loudness that was difficult to hear all around the room. After the bingo things liven up somewhat (usually about 9.30pmish) with an Elvis impersonator, a tribute to Michael Flatly's Lord of the dance, a Grease tribute and others.

Facilities: The hotel has a small gym with a few machines to help you get trim, an indoor pool (in need of some repair), A Jacuzzi, and outdoor pool, a sun lounge, Large screen TV, Internet access (DSL), & a selection of games (including scrabble and monopoly).

Hotel prices are quite expensive though alcohol is generally cheaper than soft drinks throughout the area. In the Spar shop on the corner from the hotel the bottled water (small sized) is about €.075, but if you go a little further up the road (come out the hotel turn right and carry on) you'll find a BIP supermarket where the same sized water is €0.22 and a much larger family bottle is just €0.99.

The local area is very flat and although the kerbs aren't lowered there are some slightly lower areas for easier access.

Walk along the sea front to the right and you'll come across Cala Millor a much livelier area than Cala Bona, although we much preferred Cala Bona than its larger counterpart.
Cala Millor is packed with shops and cafe's both on the seafront and one streets behind, the beach is also far superior to that of Cala Bona. Millor had topless sunbathing too whereas in Bona I didn't see any.

Walk left and you'll come to the harbour which is delightful and again packed with cafes and restaurants.

Cala Bona is our much preferred area and the area is saturated in eateries and quaint little gift shops, in Cala Bona there are several British pubs/restaurants which all (we didn't like one called the rope and anchor but found the others good).

Accessibility: The hotel is generally well catered for wheelchairs though I understand they don't do disabled friendly specific room. Our room had a shower over the bath although the bathroom was on the small side. The sea front area is good for wheelchairs though venture from that and you'll have kerbs to deal with.

Best avoided:

We went with Portland Direct and Thomson offer a free blanket tour – with free refreshments. An offer we took up much to our regret. The tour was a nice ride out in a coach, but the one and a half hour lecture trying to sell you beds and the like was in my opinion totally unacceptable.

The rope and anchor restaurant where the food was not brilliant

(& the blanket tour of course)

Good to go:

Smithy's British bar where the service was nice and friendly and food well cooked and good portions (chips butties are yummy).

Thassala cafe on the Harbour

Summary: I would without doubt go back to this hotel and area it is simply beautiful, it was one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in and food was hot and tasty although the choice sometimes left a lot to be desired. Staff were helpful, and they seemed to all be working together - rather than individually.

I would give the hotel 10 out of 10 but the indoor pool lacked slightly with cloudy water and a damaged ceiling."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of October 2007

This Hotel and the staff are amazing. M...

Reviewed Mon 3rd of September 2007

"This Hotel and the staff are amazing. My boyfriend and I booked this holiday at the last minute so did not have high expectations to begin with. We were dropped off by the coach at 3.00am so just crashed out not taking a lot of notice.

Morning comes and we are over the moon to fine out the room has a beach view (actually all of them do!) plus it’s right on the beach.

The Hotel was extremely clean and tidy staff so friendly all willing to go above and beyond.

The food was great a huge selections whatever your taste healthy or the big fry up. Plus you are welcomed with a 7 course welcome meal in the restaurant that over looks the beach.

We are not the type to worry about the entertainment being perfect as we want to explore the area. However, we did stay in one night and it was fun and intimate in a kind of accidental phoenix night’s kind of way, funny without meaning to be.

I noticed that because it’s a decent size hotel rather than shopping mall size the kids from all the families got to know each other really well. The pool is a really good size and they do stick to the no reserving sun beds rule which is great.

When we looked around the resort there were plenty of hotels that were bigger but that doesn't mean they provide the same care.

I have never filled in a review before on any holiday this one deserves it, it should be a 4 star!

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

I must say I enjoyed this hotel and reco...

Reviewed Sun 26th of August 2007

"I must say I enjoyed this hotel and recommend it to anyone, as it is centralised and convenient to almost everywhere. Members of staff at the hotel were excellant. The entertainment was good, Rod Stewart, although a little short, was brill. I must say possibly the funniest thing I saw there was the Elvis Presley tribute. Being an Elvis fan for over 25 years I must comment - I thought at first it was a comedy act, until I realised that this guy was deadly serious and deadly being the operative word. He looked like a giant Poo Bear in an Elvis costume. He was entertainingly funny,well most of us could not take the smiles of amazement off our faces. This guy obviously hears and sees something totally different to everyone else, never the less he did make me smile.

Summary: Hotel excellant, service wonderful, entertainment good especially Rod Stewart, but on certain nights have a look around.

Tony "

• Travel date: Sun 26th of August 2007

when we stayed at the hotel Alicia we ha...

Reviewed Thu 9th of August 2007

"when we stayed at the hotel Alicia we had a fantastic time, all the people were really friendly and very helpful we definitely recommend this hotel. Also because it has got a tv in the rooms which is a good idea and the rooms are all cleaned to a very high standard.

The food was also very nice and the hotel is situated in a very good area close to the beach, shops and the next town Cala Millor which is busier but very nice. The hotel has a nice indoor and outdoor pool and a pool table and a little play area for the children, it also has an entertainer to entertain the children during the day and they perform a show at the end of the week.

All the workers in the hotel speak good English so their is no confusion with anything. We were very pleased with this hotel and had a very nice holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of August 2007

Hotels near Protur Alicia Hotel

Top traveller tips for Protur Alicia Hotel

• MarthaF by MarthaF

"The zoo & the caves of hamm "

Protur Alicia Hotel is also called