The hotel is right on the beach in San A...

Reviewed Wed 25th of January 2006

"The hotel is right on the beach in San Antonio, not far from the clubs - Es Paradis, Manumission and Eden, the harbour is also nearby offering lots of diving trips as well as boat trips - both day and night. The road train is a good trip to go on which goes from San Antonio itself 3 times a day and costs 11 euros, but is well worth it as the driver is bonkers. The hotel does also do diving trips and on the beach pedaloes can be hired. Next to the hotel is also a Burger King, Pizza Hut and KFC.

The Zinema Bar is a good place to get a drink and to chill out, it is right next to the Arenal and is cheap, cost of a pint of lager is 2 euros and a cocktail is 5 euros. The staff there are so friendly and nice, especially Diane and Sue. The Zinema Bar who do great food. If you like Karaoke, the Zinema Bar is also the place to go, as everyone who sings gets a free drink. The main sporting events are also shown at the Zinema, but as when I was there, 2 England matches were shown, so at them times, the bar did get rather busy, but some of the other sporting events shown was the cricket, motor sports and tennis.

The food in the hotel is quite good, but it depends on what your tastes are. Before I went, I read a lot of reviews saying the food wasn't good, but when I got there, I found it depends on what you like and don't like. I did notice that they don't really cater for vegetarians, most of the food they served was meat or did include meat in it. Breakfast wasn't particularly that good, but again it does depend on likes and dislikes, if you like cereal and fruit for breakfast, there is a lot of that, but not much of a cooked breakfast. The restaurant is quite relaxed, you can take food out of the restaurant for the day, on the last day of my holiday, I made sandwiches for the afternoon, so I had some food for when I checked out, and no one made a fuss. I saw some guests taking glasses of juice upstairs and no one minded.

There is a very relaxed dress code in the evenings, as long as you don't go in without a top on or without wearing swimwear, you can wear what you want, I wore shorts, t-shirts and trainers and no one bothered. What does happen is that you are given a table that corresponds to your room number for the duration of your stay in the hotel, but that is not normally mentioned until you are sat at someone else’s table and the manager approaching you saying that you are sat at someone else’s table.

The meal times are between 8 and 10 for breakfast and between 7:30 and 9:30 in the evening, but if you do get hungry, there is a snack bar in the hotel offering hot food for decent prices, and if you do like ice cream, there is an ice cream parlour underneath the hotel selling ice creams as well as meal deals including pizza, coffee with milk and an ice cream for about 7 - 8 euros, if my memory is right, but it is something around that price.

The hotel also let you bring food and drink in from outside the hotel to consume in your room, but if you want to consume anything downstairs by the pool or in the bar, it has to be bought in the hotel. The staff are friendly at the hotel and are quick to sort out any problems with the rooms, I had one problem, I reported it in the morning, 30 mins later, a member of the maintenance staff came to see what the problem was, as he could not repair it, a carpenter was called, and the problem was sorted out in the early afternoon.

Air Conditioning is not included in your room cost, it does cost extra, but there is a ceiling fan in each room, which does a good enough job of keeping the room cool, but as I found out, the cleaner always seemed to switch it off when I was out of the room. There is a safe available to every room, it costs 2 euros per night plus a returnable deposit of 3 euros, but if you lose the key, you will be charged 12 euros.

If you are on a late night flight and want to keep your room for the day, which is subject to availability and 26 euros, you need to see the reception 24 hours before your flight to see if your room is available for that. The one person rooms are not as small as I was lead to believe by some reviews, they do not have a balcony, but you do get a good view of the harbour and the Zinema Bar, the noise of people coming back from the clubs isn't too bad, but you can hear the karaoke from the Zinema next door.

The entertainment provided by the hotel management is shared between the Arenal and the Ses Savines which is the sister hotel and is less than 10 mins walk from the Arenal and is a variety in entertainment, as well as that, there is a mini disco for the kids held every night in the Arenal.

There is an internet access point just behind reception but is quite expensive, about 1 euro for 3 mins, there is however a clubbing shop next door that offers internet access but not sure on their tariffs as I went to one right round the end of the bay on the street next to the pharmacy, past the cafes, restaurants and perfumeries, which costs 90 cents for 15 mins, 1 euro and 80 cents for 30 mins and 2 euros and 70 cents for 1 hour.

I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to go to San Antonio.

• Travel date: Wed 25th of January 2006

A holiday you won't forget

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Oh well where do you start after coming back off such a wonderful holiday. The first thing that comes to mind is what a scream.
Well we will start off by telling you about the hotel. It was in a brill location out off the way from the noise off the clubs & pubs in West End but only a 5-10 mins walk there & probably a 20 mins stagger back. All the reception staff was very friendly & helpful also the maids was friendly and the hotel was always spotless. Now on to the main part of the hotel. The BAR, there are 4 staff, Victor the boss who is very funny and gets you very drunk, Manuel who is 2nd in line who is ok, Riffiel who is loco (crazy) always making me & my partner try loads of new shots then last but not least Emilio who is also loco (crazy) they are all nice to talk to and very helpful in getting you drunk.
The prices in the hotel are very reasonable both in the bar & snack bar. There are to pools 1 indoor that is always very warm & 1 outdoor which is very cold good to cure a hangover (i know i tried it). Haha.

If you are planning any trips heres some info. Whilst there me & my partner went on the Blade runner which is a large speed boat which travels at 60mph crashing over the waves, doing stunts like hand brake turns & stopping within 12ft you will get soaked. Also we ventured out on a day trip on Captian Nemos glass bottom boat which included champagne diving, free flowing sangria & pop, lunch is also included when you stop at 1 of the islands. You can go for a swim in the clear blue sea. Last but certainly not least was the fab Mardi Grass. What a fab night that was free flowing s-- on the beach all night long & a meat banquet this night is certainly not to be missed. There are 2 show a week Monday night for familes. Tuesday night is for ADULTS only.

We travelled with First Choice & our Rep in the resort was Fran. What a lovly person & she was so friendly helpful & such a laugh.

We would like to say hello to Nige,Karen,Les,lynzi,Chelsea,Samuel,Sam,Harry,Tracey,
Judith,Tom & last but not least Kelly & Dave who was on their Honeymoon Good luck for the future.
Hope to see you all soon.

Lee & Frankee.

P.S This is a hotel not to miss out on. Happy holiday"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of October 2005

Fantastic Holiday

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Well what can I say.

We have just come back from a 10 night stay in Ibiza, and it was great.

The Arenal hotel is excellent. The staff are very friendly, and there to help at all times. The bar staff, Rafael, Viktor, Manuel and Emilio are fun, and always up for a bit of a laugh! Lucho the entertainments co-ordinator is a very funny guy. The hotel is absolutely spotless.

The food in the hotel is acceptable. The range on breakfast is rolls, crossaints, bread, biscuits, cakes, cereals and preserves, then there is a choice of cooked food, bacon, eggs, sausages (although they are really frankfurters), and beans, cold meats and cheese. Also there is fruit and yoghurt if you want a lighter option. Evening meals are varied with a large selection of salad, fish, cold meats and cheese, hot food, with a selection of meat, fish, pasta, vegetables, chips and potatoes. Sweets are usually rice pudding, bread pudding, jelly, ice-cream, cakes (some of them rather nice), water melon and honeydew melon and other fruits which are all nice, certainly enough food to eat something different every night, but do not miss the opportunity to pay a visit to some of the restaurants nearby. They are very good. I recommend Marlins for lunch time and an evening meal.

The snack bar in the hotel is also excellent.

If you fancy a full English cooked breakfast, then do try the Village Pub a short walk from the hotel, in the shopping area of San Antonio. The gent that runs it is British and has been out there for 20 years. The breakfast is delicious, Danish Bacon, proper English sausages with all the trimmings.

If you pay a visit to Ibiza town at all, then do eat in a place called Sams Restaurante, it is very good food and the service is excellent. It is on the Marina.

Also do not miss out on clubbing. You are a short walk from the West End of Ibiza (approx 10 minutes), and there are wall to wall pub/clubs, which start kicking off around midnight and are generally open until the early hours of the morning, you can also see the dancing fountains at night all lit up. They have deals on drinks, and are free to go into, unlike the clubs like Es Paradis and Eden which are right on the doorstep, and they cost around 40 Euros to go in with 9 Euros for a bottle of water, which would work out to be an expensive night.

Pub/clubs to try are, Capones, Tropicana, Funky Flares, and Soul City, but do not limit yourself. There are PR's all the way along trying to get you in clubs, they are all English and they are no trouble, (they only earn 50 cents per person, so go in the clubs and earn them some money)!. Also pay a visit to a new place that has opened called 'That Bar', he has very good offers on his drinks. It is not noisy and nice to sit and have a drink there.

You are also far enough away from a the hustle and bustle of the West End if you just want to enjoy a quiet night at the hotel, which is shared with the sister hotel San Savines a couple of doors along. There is entertainment every night, and the shows we saw on the nights we stayed in the hotel were very good.

We'd just like to say a big 'Hi from Karen and Nigel'! to Lee, Frankie, Kelly, David, Judith, Sam, Tracy, Harry, Chelsea, Samuel, Lindsay and Les, who we met while we were out there, and had a great time with. Looking forward to hopefully all getting together again next year.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel to anybody, for a great holiday, and some awesome sunsets, definitely an opportunity not to be missed."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of October 2005

amazing

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"oh my god what an amazing place for a holiday. Went to Arenal after being transfered from another hotel. Staff are absolutely amazing, especially Emilio :). With it being late in year was full of older people but did meet some young people. Entertainment was really good, Lucho was fab. Bar staff and waiters were boss, always up for a laugh and made my hol fab. Rooms were really nice and spacious,cleaners cleaned everyday. Food was reasonable (not much of a selection). Would defo recommend this hotel for future hols and will defo without a doubt will be going back next year,if not for place for staff. Hehe"

• Travel date: Sun 9th of October 2005

No comparison

Good
Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"I was very apprehensive about staying at this hotel after reading the reviews about terrible food and serly waiters but I was put at ease the very moment we arrived.
We arrived about 4 in the morning and was greeted by the night porter who was very quick in booking us in and directing us to our rooms. Just what you need at that time of morning!
The room was very clean, with a ceiling fan over the beds. We chose the pool balcony instead of the sea view (why???). The pool balcony is facing the front main road and is quite noisey at night. We were right over the main kitchen roof which you could hear the freezer motor running on and off intermittantly.
Okay. Breakfast has a wide selection cerial, eggs, bacon, sausages,cold meats, fruit, toast etc etc. just help yourself. Brilliant.
Evening meals are buffet style with a good selection of different fare. The reviews may have been harsh in the past but we found the food well prepared and well presented.
Evening entertainment is a personal taste thing, either you like it or hate it, we enjoyed some evenings and walked around the nearby town on other evenings. The town is transformed at night!!
We thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend this hotel without reservations. This hotel could not be better situated. It IS right on the soft sandy beach.
Be patient with the bar staff, they will smile when they get to know you."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of August 2005

It's been said before but.. Great Location

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Having checked out the other reviews we knew this would be a good location for checking out San Antonio. It is right on the beach (which was actually larger and not as busy as I was expecting), close to some great bars along the sea front (Itaca and Bar M should definitely be checked out), just down the road from Eden and Es Paradis and a short walk into San Antonio itself. We did notice that it was a bit noisy in the early hours when we did have an early night but it is not too intusive and quite easily ignored.
The rooms were excellent - very clean and good standard, and the sea view room had great views of the bay.
The pool is quite small, fairly shaded and next to the main road but this does mean it's quieter than most so good for an evening swim and the close proximity of the beach means this is only a minor point. I would advise going Bed and Breakfast though because the evening meals were not up to much and there are some great places to eat in San An and along the bay.
With so many places in the world to visit and stay I have always told myself not to come back anywhere I have stayed. However after this trip not only am I copnsidering a return to Ibiza but also to this hotel. Highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of July 2005

Great Location/rooms/food - Watch for Air-conditioning!

Good
Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Visited the Arenal for the second time, in mid June 2005. The location is superb, particularly if you buy the Seaview rooms (which I recommend)! The Hotel is clean and staff are friendly. Go half board, the food is buffet style and you can eat as much as you like. Food is great for those who like to eat healthier. Situated on the Beach, by the Marina, and just out the way of the hustle and bustle of the town, so it doesnt keep you awake at night. Walk into town in approx 7 minutes. Just be aware of two things. Last visit I booked a room for two and it was great. This time three of us went, and they stuck an extra single bed into a room that we had for two last year. Charging us extra for that third person, without any additional space, which made it a bit cramped. Bit cheeky!
Secondly, the airconditioning is not free, you need it during the summer, and it costs 6Euros per day, so be warned!
However this is still the best hotel ive stayed in whilst visting Ibiza, and I will return!"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of June 2005

Area: we travelled the last week in Octo...

Reviewed Thu 30th of September 2004

"Area: we travelled the last week in October and everything was closing or already closed. This had the effect of making it a very quiet relaxing holiday. The hotel is situated a stroll from the main town and in the other direction a pleasant walk takes you further into San Antonia Bay. The beauty of the position of this hotel is walking in either direction is made along the beach front. I should imagine in high season it would be a very different story judging by the number of hotels in the vicinity

Hotel Arenal: classed as a three star hotel and well deserved. The rooms are spacious with plenty of storage. There are no tea making facilities in the room and no fridge to store milk. So take a kettle, stock up on the little long life milks from cafes before you go and "borrow" a cup from the restaurant I washed mine up and hid it as the cleaners are quite thorough and removed my first cup. The sea view rooms are wonderful. You can sit and watch the little boats and also the ferries chugging into the harbour nearby. At night you can hear the waves crashing on the shore as you are so close.

Meals: if you are not a fussy eater the food is more than adequate. The breakfast selection includes: croissants, brioche, rolls, toast, dried fruit, cereal, yoghurt, and doughnuts, something cooked like bacon or sausages. Cold meat and cheese and teas coffees and fruit juice. Not many cooked vegetables to be seen in the evenings but a very good choice of salads and desserts. The dining room is quite cramped and again I should imagine that in the height of the season it would get extremely busy with long queues. One word of warning, if you have young children or like to eat early you may be disappointed to know that evening meals are served from 7.30pm

There are two swimming pools and two sunbathing areas. One pool is indoors and heated in October and May. It was like getting into a very warm bath! Only one brave soul attempted the outdoor pool in October. The sun loungers all have cushions. The back of the hotel faces the sea and has just a paved promenade separating the beach from the sunbathing lawns.

The staff are variable as you would expect anywhere but I could not fault anyone when it came to an emergency. They were second to none. Even the restaurant manager who rarely smiled was very accommodating

Airtours: we flew out on an airbus with all mod cons and flew back with a Mickey Mouse Spanish plane with the offer of a sandwich and glass of water for our pre paid meal. We had no seats together even though we had prebooked. On arriving back to the UK, airtours did not quibble and immediately refunded us our meal money and seat bookings, so no complaints there

Weather in October: Variable. Sunny cloudy windy rainy. A bit like here but warmer and with better views"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of September 2004