Occidental Ibiza

Calle Valencia, 23-27, 07829, Sant Josep de Sa Talaia, Ibiza Spain

Gr8 Holiday

"Hi, We have just returned from the Barcelo, four of us, two eighteen year olds and two fifty year olds and we all had a really good time. We went all inclusive which i recomend because the isolation of the hotel makes getting food outside the hotel quite hard and the few local restaurants seem to be quite expensive. The food was all good but the menu was a bit repetitive with a large amount of fish and pork nearly every night. Plenty of spirits and choice on the all inclusive drinks and the small snack bar is serve yourself on beer, wine and soft drinks.

The pools are lovely with the small snack bar pool being quite deep and more suitable for adults and the larger pools being very family friendly.

The local area is quiet and there is a small beach with pedalos which
are good for an hour out at sea and are very cheap. There are boat trips to san antonio regularly and they are priced at 6 euro return. I dont recomend the bull bar by the beach because the service is really bad and the waiters are more like zombies than people.

Overall a great holiday. If you are going there im sure you will have
a really great time!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

Great Hotel

Good

"Returned from this hotel after a short break in Ibiza at the weekend. The hotel was booked via Aplharooms and the flights via Easyjet.
Hotel:
Rooms were very clean, hence being cleaned everyday. Decoration was quite old looking, although the air-con was a new addition.
Food was just about right for a 3* hotel nothing special but all looked fresh and tasted good. There was show cooking at lunch and dinner, I think all tastes would be catered for food wise.
The hotel has 3 pools, we visited the 'sports' pool which has its own snack bar. Amazingly the pool never really got busy, even more so as this bar had 'help yourself' beer and soft drinks! We did not get involved in any of the entertainment during the day but its fair to say there was somthing going on all the time should you wish to.
Resort:
Having visited Ibiza 7 times this was the first time we stayed in this area, aside from the hotel there really is VERY little else to do in the evening, the beach about a 5-10 min walk has a couple of bars but little else, which would mean a bus/taxi ride to the town if your looking for the nightlife. During the day a water taxi runs from the beach, not sure when the last one departs in the evening, this costs 6e return.
In summary I would recommend this hotel to my friends, we stayed All-Inclusive (our first time) and found this to be good value here on a short break, not sure if I would want to stay All-Inc for over week tho as I think it may be a little boring. We stayed all -inc for 4 nights in July with flights from Stansted for a total cost of £249 each."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

excellent !!!

"just returned from a lovely weeks break at the Barcelo pueblo in Ibiza.Will try and make this short and sweet but to the point!!

lovely clean modern hotel.

lovely pools (again poolside cleaned and always tidy)

no fighting for the sunbeds!!!

Friendly happy staff .

good food.(all inclusive reccomended)

A taxi to san antonio cost just 9 euro or a few euro on the bus so if its busy streets and crowded beaches you are after then its only a short ride away!

To sum up its just a great place to have a nice relaxing holiday and at the same time our 6 year old had the time of his life."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2007

Great hotel away from the "Blackpool" areas of San Antonio

"Just returned from a week at the Barcelo Pueblo Ibiza. (26/5 - 2/6 /07). What a great hotel. Top end of a 3 star category, the only downside is that it's nearly in the middle of nowhere. If you want a relaxing holiday without lager louts/clubbers then this is perfect for you. About a 45 mins walk to the "Blackpool" type area of San Antonio Bay, but a pleasant walk in the daytime nonethereless. The rooms are spotless, cleaned every day, with fresh towels to boot. The hotel is in great condition, pools and all surrounding areas very clean. About 40% Italians, 40% Spanish, 10%French & 10% British. Plenty of sunbeds - last week was the kids school holidays and still we managed 6 beds together everyday.
Kids are well catered for - animacion has things for them to do all through the day, from volleyball/football/crazy golf/ water games/uno/cocktail games. Adults have rifle shooting/archery/water polo/volleyball etc.
There are 3 main pools. The bottom pool is oval & has a kids section joined to it, the middle pool is like an oblong olympic type pool, and the top pool is in the sports area with kids pool and a separate jacuzzi(the only prob for us was that the top pool/jacuzzi & bar didn't open until the 1st June and we came home on the 2nd - it doesn't say this in the brochure though). In the top sports area there is a volleyball court on sand, tennis/basketball/football courts. A 9 hole mini golf, 2 kids play areas for younger kids and an outdoor gym. A pool bar with outside seating is also up here.
I would say that about 95% of the hotel guests were on all inclusive. We were on a half board basis, but being as there are only 3/4 bars across the street and a 45 min walk to "the nightmare of the 18/30's area" which we didn't want to go anywhere near, then it would obviously be more common sense to go all inclusive.
The food is good, a salad buffet, hot buffet containing meat & fish dishes but only 1 veg, and a grill where food is cooked fresh in front of you. Of coarse, there were people moaning that it was catered for the Spanish/ Italians etc, BUT GUESS WHAT - YOU'RE IN SPAIN. If you want fish & chips or pizza and chicken nuggets THEN GO TO SKEGNESS OR BLACKPOOL.
All the staff are very friendly with a special mention to 'LOLI' in the dining room- she was fantastic.
I would definately return to this hotel, in fact I'm just looking to book for the same time next year - but on an all inclusive basis.
ENJOY!!"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of June 2007

Fab hotel

"I went here last July with my best mate as we wanted to go to Ibiza for the partying but didnt want to be in the centre of it all and be harassed by reps for various events etc etc as they do.

We loved this hotel so much. Pools were lovely especially the one tucked away behind the hotel with its own food and drink bar - great! You can literally walk up to it and help yourself. All the staff are so friendly too always willing to help. They all speak pretty good English too.

We spent most of our holiday day times in this hotel. The food was great, always fresh, not loads and loads of choice but still enough to last a week. The breakfasts were especially nice.

Evening entertainment was great as we often watched this before heading off for our proper night out.

Would definitely recommend for families as there is always something to do to occupy the kids.

All inclusive great, pools great, people great. Only downside - no air con, a fan that did absolutely nothing. But I have since heard they have air con so would not hesitate in going back."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of March 2007

Been there 14 times in 20 years! gets better every time

"14th visit in 20 years, still love the hotel,cannot complain about any aspect of the pueblo.
Restaurant excellent,especially Paquita and Lolli who really looked after us, thankyou.
bar, excellent, Manuel was a polite and helpful barman! we were all inclusive, so absolute amazement a the top pool bar which was serve youself!! (heaven!)
Rooms and gardens were very clean, thanks to Paco the gardener who always seemed to be there working
special thanks to Jeremy and Xavier,(animation team) who worked hard to make our holiday enjoyable
will certainly be going back next year!!"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of October 2006

Let down

"I stayed at the hotel for 5 days, the general facilities were very good. However, my bag was stolen from the pool area. When i reported it the hotel the guy i reported it to did not even look up at me while i explained what happened. he was very unhelpful-this did nothing but arouse suspicion that maybe a staff member found it and kept it. he said there was cctv but not around the side of the pool from where it had gone missing. when i was speaking to him about it he was sat doing nothing and told me they had cctv from the extrance of hotel to the pool area and he could look on there but then after i reporting it to him, i saw him several times in the hotel and he never came to me to let me know he had looked at the cctv. he didnt offer to take a number should he find anything on the cctv. i left me feeling extremely suspicious.........very strange!"

• Travel date: Fri 4th of August 2006

A great holiday had by all

Good

"Just arrived back from 1 weeks all-inclusive ( our first time at all-in ) and have had a great time. There were 6 of us - 2 adults, 4 kids ages 9-16 . The main pool is fantastic, very clean in and around the pool area , and the water is lovely and warm.... none of the sharp intake of breath you normally get when getting in an outside pool! We had no trouble getting 6 sun loungers together and there are plenty of shaded areas and sun umbrellas to go round.
The food was good - plenty of variety from cooked English breakfast to continental style, chicken,pork, veal and fish were the main meat options all done in different sauces etc, plenty of fruit, all in all enough variety to suit any taste.
The staff were on the whole were friendly enough but I must mention Juan and Roberto, two of the bar staff - they were lovely. The hotel is very clean, the rooms cleaned every day and although there is no air-con, the room ceiling fan did suffice. My only complaint would be that we had booked two rooms, one for two adults and two kids and one for the two older kids but ended up with 2 rooms that slept 3 so we ended up with 1 adult and 2 kids in each!!! So when booking make sure you get what you ask for.
The nightly entertainment was a bit hit and miss .... one or two good shows and a couple of naff ones but on the whole kept the kids entertained. Every afternoon the entertainment staff organised water games in the pool ( polo, basket ball, volley ball ) and also table tennis competitions, football ( though who'd want to play footy in 100 degree heat is beyond me ! ), volleyball and mini golf.
The snacks were a bit basic, just chips hot dogs and pizza but the drinks were free flowing from 10am till 11pm so who could ask for more!
The only real downside to the hotel was the location - not a lot to do or see outside the hotel though the beach was only a couple 100 yds away and from there you can get a ferry to San Antonio for 6 euros or have a go at scuba diving (50 euros ) or go on a banana boat or pedalo ( about 10 euros ).
All in all though a great hotel and ideal for a weeks holiday of lazing about and chilling out."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Great family hotel, but need a car

Good

"Just got back from a weeks holiday at the Pueblo hotel. This hotel exceeded my expectations in that it is new looking and well looked after. Much better than the pics I found on this tripadvisor site and elsewhere. Rooms and bathrooms are decent. Room size is probably only good for 2 people as with 3 it is a bit of a squeeze. We had originally booked a family room (for 3 adults and an infant) but ended up paying for an additional room. No air cond though but the ceiling fan did its job ok for me.

We went half board but we appeared to be the minority here with the vast majority going fully inclusive. There are some good restaurants around but if you like to have a cold drink and a snack from the pool bar then you may like to consider. I am not sure how much extra it was as it was never offered to us although we did book last minute. There were many times when I saw people going up for a cold beer as I sweated away in the sun. Sure you can buy them at the bar, but I tried whenever possible to buy from the Spa supermarket directly across the road to save money. A bit silly really as you should just allow for such things.

The food was on the whole pretty good. Lots of choice for the whole family and it changed to a degree most days. Being half board, grog wasn't offered but I think most were pleased with the standard beer, wine and soft drink set up.

During our stay a new pool area opened up which I preferred to the other 2 pools as it was easier to get a lounge (never had a problem) and I think in a prettier setting.

I didn't go with kids, but I would say this hotel is more suited to families. The kids club seemed active enough as did the nightly entertainment. As expected these can be hit and miss but there were some good acts at night along with some miserable ones.

Staff were all pleasant and non intrusive but always there to help when needed. Some staff even seemed to love their job such as one of the ladies that cleared the plates during the buffet. Always there with a smile on her face even though she spoke very little English. Actually on the whole, English wasn't widely used (lots of German, Italian and French guests) but then I like that on a holiday. Don't get me wrong though, most of the Spanish knew some English. Just be respectful and give their language a go.

My only gripe about the Pueblo would be the location. There was a reasonably nice beach a short walk away as well as 2 or 3 good restaurants but otherwise a pretty quiet area. For that reason you may want a car to get out and explore a bit of the surrounding area. Incidentally, the beach did have a good tavern which was magnificent at night with the soft lighting, candles and music. A must do for an after dinner drink!

One of the restaurants opposite served great food and if you like fish you might like to try their Sole. I ate this a lot on the island and theirs was one of the best... ever.

Now a little about the island...

One of the highlights for me are the 2 hippy markets of Sant Carles and Es Cana. One I think was on a Saturday and the other may have been on a Wednesday but check. They are in different villages but both good for their colour and atmosphere even if you don’t buy anything.

The other highlight and a must do for any age is the sunset from the Cafe Mambo, Cafe del Mar area (San Antonio area). You can sit at the cafe or on the rocks with loads of others and watch the sun go down as you enjoy a drink. The funky cafes (Bars really) all play funky cool lounge music which makes it a real special moment.

A final highlight is Eivissa (Ibiza town). There are lots of narrow streets for shopping and a walk up the old fort is also worth doing for the views and perhaps lunch.

If I went back I would probably look for a hotel near the Cafe Mambo area of San Antonio. Seemed quiet at night yet close to all the action without it being in your face. The other area I liked was Cala San Vicente. Overall Pueblo is a very good family hotel (if not a little sterile in a new resort hotel kinda way) but for me the location was not that great. You will want a car to broaden your holiday experience.

Hope that helps.

Anthony (32) Melbourne, Australia"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of July 2006

Excellent, but bring your own food!

Good

"After being moved from another hotel on the island because we felt it was unacceptable we were pleasantly surprised by the Barcelo Pueblo.

Although it had a lot of rooms, the hotel was designed thoughtfully with courtyard rooms in blocks 3 stories high. We almost felt like we were in a villa because both the inside yard and outside the block there were well groomed palm trees. The grass was well groomed also and te swimming pool deliciously blue. The room was a tad small, but light, clean and comfortable. The babys cot (Which thoughtfully had been put in the room before we got there) was burned on the side, so also had the bed sheet. Smoking is not permitted in the hotel now, but they should have replaced the burned sheets and cot.

The beds were very much like camp beds and were uncomfortable. The mattresses were very thin and the bed squeaked when we moved - So we minimised on moving at any time so baby wouldnt wake up.

The hotel was a lovely modern design, and will also look well in the future unlike many new Ibiza hotel blocks sprouting up all over the place, which look like big drab council blocks, with no thought whatsoever into their aesthetics.

There were 4 computers which were broadband ready in the foyer, they were expensive at 1 Euro per 10 minutes. They were very restricted and locked down so many sites could not be accessed. The plus point is that once we gave our credit card details we could dial up using the room direct dial line, this proved an expensive choice though.

The staff were excellent, clean, well dressed and well mannered.

The clientelle were generally German, Spanish, Italian then English, which we felt very comfortable with. The pools were very clean and there were plenty of sunbeds with only a few being prebooked before the sun came up (Against hotel policy).

Although the bathroom was always kept clean (The cleaners did an excellent job) it looked a bit tired, with a mirror which was worn round the edges and didnt reflect any more, and old shower curtain which wouldnt cost much to replace. The water was always brown, as shown in one of the photos, we were told by a neighbour that this was normal for the hotel and the rest of the resort was fine.

The food was not so good, with little choice for British people. One day they brought out hamburgers and the German and British formed a massive queue that amazed us, we could not get anywhere near the burgers!

The location was excellent. Unlike a huge amount of Ibiza which appears now to look like a massive building site, the location was perfect, absolutely perfect. There was an amazing beach a short walk away with a Reggae bar, and the most friendliest rasta proprieter in the world. The beach will form a lasting memory, with great sunset and great music form the bar.

Go there, take some food with you and you cant go wrong!"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of June 2006

Value for money

"Location close to beach swam in sea every day . Room clean as a new pin fab domestic staff .Block one overlooking pool is close to bar &restaurant . All staff are exceptionally polite accredit to the management . This holiday all inclusive is good value for money for a weeks break in the sun.Entertainment although at the very end of the season was still on every night & very varied.Difficult to please every nationality but they worked hard to do so &were super with the children. Pools were lovely & all facilities were well maintained .Food was plentiful & of good quality restaurant staff super efficient . From the little bay down the road you can board a little boat to San Antonio for 6 euro return .Couple of good bar /restaurants opposite if you fancy a change . Bar on beach does an excellent smoked salmon & avocado salad ."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of October 2013

nice hotel

"this hotel is lovely & clean staff are very helpfull & the animation team are great,there was always plenty of choice with the food so we never went hungry,i would go back to this hotel altho british are the minority but it didnt bother us all that much.not much around this hotel, a couple of shops & bars but the bus stop is just around the corner or walk down to the small bay & get the boat bus into san antonia bay or the hotel will order u a taxi.if u want a sunbed then u have to go down about 8oclock or u wont have much luck after that gettin 1,if u put a towel on b4 8oclock & go back to your room u risk gettin your towel took of by pool staff so i used to sit on bed till hubby came down."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of July 2011

Hotels near Occidental Ibiza

Stayed at Occidental Ibiza? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Occidental Ibiza

• donna by donna

"Go to the beach if you dont like daytime entertainment "

• Sealover by Sealover

"If you want a different room just ask ! "

Occidental Ibiza is also called