Tryp Alicante Gran Sol Hotel

Rambla Mendez Nunez 3, 03002 Alicante Spain

Not exactly a 4 star hotel , but the location is great

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"My gf and I spend only two days in Alicante at this hotel. We've read the reviews from tripadvisor and we were ok with that. We had a room at the 3rd floor , althrough we've asked upon our arrival a room on a higher floor. We were told the hotel is fully booked, but trust me, we barely saw a couple of tourists and a few lights on during the night... I wonder now , should we have bribed the receptionist ? :( , by the way, it was only a receptionist and we had to wait almost 30 minutes

The room had some old furniture, but it was spacious enough, funny, we had a balcony but no way to access it. We had to jump out the window for that. The air conditioning design is so antique like others said and it really is a waste of time.

My conclusion is that the hotel worths the 70 EUR / night that we've paid for one double room considering the location of the hotel , next to the marina and the promenade and beach, but the hotel is definitely not a 4 * one."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of August 2007

Fantastic view

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Following previous advise on this website, asked for a high room. I got an east-facing corner room on the 15th floor- best view ever of the marina/ sea, old town & castle. Locality couldn't be better- old town, beaches and restaurants a block or two away, superette and tourist office around the corner. Room was a studio with separate lounge & bedroom, with minibar, safe & balcony. Breakfasts were good and the reception staff I dealt with were friendly and polite. The last weekend of June was a good time to be in Alicante, with a fiesta, firework displays on the beach & esplanade and medieval market in the old town. As has been mentioned elswewhere, hotel could do with a bit of touching-up. Tiled floors are noisy, esp when room above seemed to be doing a complete furnature re-arrangement at two in the morning! Quite bad drain smells at times. Nevetheless, if I was visiting Alicante again, I wouldn't stay anywhere else."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

Not a 4 Star hotel

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Myself and my husband have just spent 3 nights at the Tryp gran Sol in alicante. It is supposed to be a 4 star hotel! No Way!! The rooms were tatty and in need of decoration, the air conditioning was a waste of time and it was in the 90's. We were greeted at reception by the most miserable man in the whole of spain, who didnt even speak to us just pointed (very rude). Breakfast was just like other continental breakfasts very boring. On the plus side the view from our room on the 11th floor was amazing it was overlooking the port of alicante and all lit up at night. I wouldnt recommend any more than a few days here theres not an awful lot to do in the daytime. Again we like other people caught the C-6 bus which is just across the road from arrivals and is located at stop 30. This was a bargain at just 1 euro each. The taxi would have been 18 euros. This bus stops right outside the hotel and when returning to the airport just cross the road and walk 2 mins and the bus stop is there. We paid 100 euro a night and I think it would have perhaps been better had we have spent our euros more wisely."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

a big mistake

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We booked for our 20th wedding anniversary. We arrived in the morning to check in to find only one person working on reception so we had to wait. The first room we were given had not been serviced so we had to ask reception for another! The second room was something out of the 50s. The bed was hard, the sofa was stained and dirty, the AC was antiquated and noisey, the bathroom had a cheap plastic dispenser for soap and shampoo.
The paint on the ceiling was falling and the whole room felt dirty. We complained and got given a third room but that was the same poor standard. No way is this a 4 star hotel. This was our worst hotel experience ever and ruined our celebrations. A local taxi driver told us its the worst hotel in Alicante and hasnt changed in 30 years."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of June 2007

Loved this hotel and location

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Found this hotel to be very nice. We walked from the train station to the hotel--probably 20-25min walk. It wasn't that bad and we had never been there before. You can't miss the hotel as it is very tall! It is only 1 block off the Esplanade and maybe 2or 3 more blocks to Postiguet Beach. We loved Alicante. Were there on a Sat/Sun, only stayed 1 nt but it was a great little town. Spent time at the Castle of Santa Barbara--don't miss this!! You can spend as little or as much time as you want there. We had perfect weather for this time and just relaxed and walked around, enjoyed a beverage here and loved it! Also spent time on the beach and walked around the esplanade and marina. The hotel rooms were nice, plenty of room, great views. I had the 11th floor which had a good view of ocean as well as the castle. Others in my party were on 9th floor and their view wasn't as good. Request 11th flr or above for good views. We ate at the Restaurant on the 26th floor and it was wonderful!! The food we thought was excellent and the price to us was surprising--not expensive. I had a salad and swordfish with veggies and it was 15-20 Euro! The views were incredible. You can walk outside on a balcony and take pix. It was awesome!! Loved Alicante, quaint little town!"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of March 2007

Good Value but very basic

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"I book a single room with half board at this hotel for the weekend.
I had a room on the 25th floor overlooking the marina
with fantastic views.
The room was quite small & basic but was adequate for one person.
The breakfast was not 4* hotel standard and the evening meal was better but nothing to get very excited about.
I found the staff polite and helpful.
The location of the hotel which is a 5 minute walk to the tram which runs along the coast to Denia is very convenient.
The weather was 26 C everyday which was fantastic.
I fell in love with the area and will return soon but probably would not stay here again."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of March 2007

4 Star? I don't think so...

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Oh dear! I'm afraid I can't agree with most of the other contributors. I took my wife away for a romantic weekend to Alicante, and as Sol Melia Hotels are part of the American Express Rewards Programme, it was logical to redeem some of my accumulated points. After looking on Trip Advisor, the Tryp Gran Sol looked a good bet. Like the others, we too used the C-6 bus from the airport. It was however Alicante Carnival 2007 weekend, so the bus was rerouted, so a brisk walk was called for to get to the hotel. On the advice of contributors we asked for on of the higher floors and was allocated a room on the 22nd floor. Excellent views! Unfortunately that was the only plus point of our stay. On opening the door to our room, we were hit by the smell of drains. Opening the windows didn't improve the situation much. The bedroom had a chunk out of the wall exposing plaster, there were holes in the ceiling where screws must have been at one time and where the paintwork had been touched up, some had arrived on picture and door frames. One lampshade was crushed and the furniture looked well used. Moving to the bathroom there was hair on the floor. The sink was cracked, and when the plug was removed after washing, the dirty water, plus presumably the contents of the U trap, gushed back into the sink via the overflow pipe!
Although we asked when we arrived, we were told the restaurant was fully booked, so the romantic meal with view was scrubbed for the rather more informal dining along the promonade. Breakfast was another depressing activity. Firstly there were no large plates out for the food, but the food can only be described as luke warm. The hot food consisted of scrambled egg, mini sausages and bacon floating in a warm liquid. Coffee only arrived when the rather unfriendly staff were pushed into action.
So that was our experience. I wonder if the room's quality reflected our use of American Express Rewards? If so, surely we should have been told to only expect 2* at the most facilities?
There was however one big plus to our stay in Alicante. The Carnival! It was amazing! Most of the residents of Alicante joined in, wearing fancy dress costumes. There was an excellent live band with dancers on a stage constructed a short way down from the hotel. The music was good. The people full of fun and I never thought I would dance in the street at my age! If you go next year, don't forget your fancy dress!"

• Travel date: Tue 20th of February 2007

Great value and location

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We stayed at this hotel twice between a visit to Murcia for a total of 5 nights. It is a nice hotel, largest building in Alicante.

As other reivewers have said, take the c6 bus from the airport. Stops rights outside the hotel, although if you miss the stop, get off the bus where it ends in Alicante, turn left and walk back along the tree lined street - you can't miss the hotel.

The rooms aren't the best in terms of bright and welcoming and the air conditioning was noisy and not the most effective. I also heard the cleaners in the morning moving beds along the hard floors, which was a bit annoying. The receptionists were also a bit brusque.

However, that should not detract from the views, the location and value for money. Whilst I have made negative comments, I would probably stay here again, although wouldn't like to stay too low down as there is a busy road."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of November 2006

Great Value

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Booked direct on the Solmelia.com wesite where they guarantee to have the best prices. Hotel is up to the usual Sol Melia high standard. Booked half board as it was only 14 EURO's per night per room more expensive than B&B. The cover price on the set menu in the restaurant was 20 Euro's per head! There were 5 of us in our group and the evening meal, which was excellent, included a bottle of house wine and mineral water. I think you get a glass of wine and water per person included in the price. Breakfast is buffet style but the evening meal is served by the waiters.
Lots of bars and restaurants around if you prefer to venture out. Alicante is a proper Spanish town and as such has all the major shops including large department stores that you could want. The tourist areas are all down at the seafront.
We were there for 3 days and I would say that was long enough. Great for a short break but not really for a 7 or 14 day holiday."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of November 2006

good location - worth considering

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"This review is very very much influenced by the price, Melia were offering rooms at 56 euros for single or dbl occupancy. At this rate it was unbelievable value for money.

It is in a great location & the views from the higher floors are fantastic ( hotel is 26 stories - with restaurant on top floor ) - rooms are like mini suites & whilst a little tired completely adequate. Check out Melia web site for facilities.

When returning to Alicante I will definately use again if there is an attractive rate on offer.

Reception staff were brilliant & breakfast very good."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

Hotels near Tryp Alicante Gran Sol Hotel

Stayed at Tryp Alicante Gran Sol Hotel? Share your insight.

Tryp Alicante Gran Sol Hotel is also called