Melia Alicante

Plaza del Puerto 3, 03001 Alicante Spain

Good
Good
1939

Pleasant

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"We stayed here in october and found the hotel to be good and bad in the extremes:
The Good...
Location - Good, next to the marina, lots of restaurants and bars around (we did'nt even eat at the hotel)
Staff were pleasant and friendly but not the most efficient but after all you are in Spain... manana..manana... :)
The breakfast was great.... omeletes to order and a huge buffet selection.
The room was very clean.The view from our room was fantastic.
The complimentary toiletries were high quality and they were generous with them.

The Bad...
It is a bit tired - particulary the rooms. (The carpets were worn and stained)
The Pool was very cold (but it was October).
The wellness centre is next door and is extra cost.
Limited English speaking channels on TV.

Overall, I would go back there as it felt tired but clean and the staff we spoke with were all helpful and friendly. The hotel was used by a wide range of people, families, couples, business of varying Nationalities so everyone felt at home there."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of October 2006

Slow Alicante

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"We stayed at the Melia Alicante of four night over a long week end. A mix of business and pleasure. The hotel is a modern (ish) Spanish hotel geared for business with a range of meeting facilities. It could do with a bit of TLC on the outside. The normal bedrooms are ok having a fair amount of space, nice size bathroom that includes a shower. Nothing special but not too basic. It has a lcd flat TV and a safe. As a business traveller you can’t complain but it wouldn’t mark the trip out as anything other than a place to sleep. It is a big hotel with over 500 rooms. They all have balconies with views of either the port or the beach/sea. In some rooms the view is a bit restricted and is like looking down tunnel from the small balcony (if you are bottom of the V. See picture). Suites are a bit better. The hotel has an outside pool that is cold even in September due to the restricted sun that gets to it. It has a large outside Jacuzzi that is also cold. The indoor pool as described on the website costs €20 to use as it is a separate company. That includes the use of the sauna, steam room etc as a typical wellness centre. The beach out the back is great and well used by the many of the Alicante residents. The picture of the hotel is taken from the castle. Hotel staff are polite and helpful

One thing about drinks in the hotel. Expensive! €9.5 for gin and tonic? They push the export gin not the local stuff which is only slightly cheaper at €7.5. OK if you are on expenses but a bit steep and with no view from the bar it is a bit sterile. For some reason they never had white wine.

There is plenty of parking and loads of restaurants and bars in the port as well as the town. Restaurant Darsena is nice as well as popular, but not as cheap as the rest in the port. Don’t bother eating until 9pm at the earliest or you will be alone with the other foreigners. The port has loads of night clubs that open very late and stay open late (6am) at the weekends. There is a tram behind the hotel that goes east along the coast. The castle is free if you walk up to it (166m high), but there is a lift that costs €2.4 which is well worth it.

As a note to Alicante: It isn’t a pretty city, but it does grow on you. Spend your evenings walking up and down the Paseo Espana like the locals do at night before and after dinner. Sit on one of the many chairs and watch the locals sitting in groups talking to each other. A bit of the real Spain even in a modern city. Take your time with dinner and ask the waiter for advice. Your waiter is a professional not a wannabe actor and he takes pride in his work. Remember to slow down and take life at the Spanish pace. Look how old the people on the beach look. They must be doing something right!"

• Travel date: Fri 6th of October 2006

It`s really an unfriendly 3 star at best

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Just spent a week at the hotel and very disappointed considering the reviews I read. The location is good but Alicante is small, so all the Hotels are 5 mins from the beach and the main points of interest, so choose another. There is no personality to the Hotel. The staff (except the lifeguard) were all pretty unfriendly and we started bets on how many days before one actually smiled! I was advised that this was a standard Spanish service trait. Not true, we met other service staff in the town who were great. I seems it`s a Melia Alicante Hotel thing! The breakfast is a real winner for sure, best I`ve had in years and a view of the sea to boot. Don`t expect Coffee in a hurry though. We had a Junior suite and this was clean but nothing special and fairly sparse. Tip : Take an Iron! As a regular Hotel traveller this is the only hotel in the world I have experienced where you can`t get one. You must use the maid at just under 5 Euro for one shirt! one of the staff said they used to have them in the hotel 5 years ago. There is no ice machine or buckets and the number of towels and toiletries varies like lotto balls.
The pool is fine but the architect had had too long a siesta! (like the Pool staff!) Only one quarter of the pool has the sun at any one point in time. So plenty of sunbeds but in the wrong place. The bar at the pool also closes for no reason very regularly so if you want a refreshment good luck. Tip : You need a ticked based on a 20 euro deposit form reception to get a towel. The pool and not Reception will tell you this so if you don`t want the push pull process ask reception for one. The Piano bar is the main bar. However, don`t expect any music it`s a Piano bar ie a bar with a piano and never any pianist apparently not for years! Made me laugh the cocktail list though headed Piano bar. MTV was playing everyday though if that counts.
There is no entertainment in the hotel. Which Surprised me a little. It wasn`t an issue for us but just be aware.
If you base your decision to stay on location. Remember, all similar hotels are very central so this can`t really be a reason to book (15 Euro for Taxi to hotel/town from the Airport @ 20 mins with no traffic). If you want a hotel with no character or an atmosphere like a Hotel on a Major Motorway and don`t want to feel like your being treated then this is for you.
I booked based on reviews on this site which are usually spot on. I agree the breakfast was great but breakfast isn`t a Hotel. Book elsewhere because your worth it! If you go, enjoy Alicante but you will be disappointed."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of September 2006

Hotel okay but tired

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"We were surprised at the poor reviews for this hotel as we had stayed there three years ago and found it very nice. So we booked five days there in early September for a lying on the beach hloiday.

I do understand why some people hve been critical of this hotel. It is still a very pleasant place to stay with an excellent breakfast and a very good location. But it is getting rather worn and really has reached that point where it is about to become tatty for a four star property. It is clean, well proportioned and with good public rooms and the position overlooking either the beach or marina is good. But the carpets in the corridors are worn and the woodwork is rather bashed. There has been some attempt to improve the rooms, they all now seem to have flat screen wide TVs.

The worse criticism is the amount of grafetti on the outside of the hotel, on the beach side. There is a lot there and it does not look as if the hotel makes any attempt to remove it. You do not see it from the main entrance side.

Perhaps this is symptomatic of lax management in a hotel that is becoming run down and due for renovation.

We paid 107 euro per night for bed and breakfast from the SolMelia web site and thought it very good value.

I would be happy going there again at that sort of price soon, but in a year or so I would avoid it unless the general maintenance has improved."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of September 2006

Would not recomend staying here

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"After staying at two great hotels in Barcelona for about the same rate ($100 a night.) We were pretty bummed out when we got to the melia alicante. The hotel looks old and the lobby looks like they are trying to give the appearance of a nice hotel, but you can tell its pretty shabby. The room was old, depressing and had a weird musty smell. We had to switch to a different room, that was exactly the same just with newer furniture and a little cleaner. The location is good though, close to the beach and all the bars/restaurants. Alicante was cool though, low-key and less tourists than the bigger cities. If you want to stay here, find a different hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of August 2006

Melia - clean, excellent value, superb location

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Superb choice for visiting Alicante. This deserves its 4-star rating, contrary to the opinions expressed in some of the previous reviews. It was very clean, very spacious foyer with bar and seating area. The receptionists all spoke good english and are very helpful. I needed a triple room and was provided with a mini-suite with a balcony for a supplement of 16 Euros only above the double room rate. The breakfas buffet is superb both in quality and choice and it alone was worth this additional supplement. The hotel overlooks the beach and is within a short walking distance of numerous local restaurants. The only downside(?) was that this was festival week in Alicante and the noise level from the beach close by was very loud throughout the night. Apart from this we reall enjoyed our stay and I would recommend this hotel - we will stay here again!!"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of June 2006

Great location

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I stayed here for three nights. I first asked for a room facing the beach but was given one facing the harbor, so I think something was lost in communicating to the reception clerk. However, the second room I was given was fantastic. It was a corner room, and contained two single beds pushed together as a double bed, a table and chair, an easy chair, a desk/bureau, a love seat and flat panel tv. The entryway contained the minifridge, where I put in some drinks and food, and another small tv. The bathroom was actually two rooms, one containing the sink, and the other with the bathtub and commode. My view was of the beautiful beach and I could also see the castle. The lanai contained two plastic chairs and a table on the lanai. My room was always spotlessly cleaned by the time I returned for siesta.

The breakfast (which came with my room rate) was the best I have ever had: breads, pastries, cheeses, lunch meats, sausages, fresh fruit including strawberries, oranges, melon, bananas, and peaches, juice, cereal and hot foods prepared to order.

The hotel is within walking distance of central Alicante, and just a short walk to the stop to catch the bus to the airport, and even closer is the southern terminus for the tram which goes up the coast.

So, if you're ever in Alicante, I highly recommend staying at this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of June 2006

Great location and excellent service

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Melia over Christmas and had a very good time. Our room was well appointed, very clean, comfortable and had a fantastic sea view.

The two problems we experienced, TV not working and Heating too warm (used to the cold in London)were both dealt with within 5 minutes of reporting the fault.

Having discovered that most restaurants in Alicante would be closed on Christmas Eve we booked a table in the Melia Restaurant for their special dinner. To be honest we were not expecting much but were very pleasantly surprised. Good food and excellent wine included in the price of €60 per person.

A good tip is to register for the Melia loyalty card as this will earn you points that can be used for hotel stays and gives you two for the price of one on breakfast.

Our only criticism would be that the walls are a bit thin."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

excellent hotel!!!!!

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"Please, please ignore bad reviews about this hotel!! The Melia was a beautiful, well decorated and clean hotel with great facilities. The outside pool is perfect sized with plenty of loungers and umbrellas, and the water is a lovely temp. Its location is directly in front of the harbour with all shops and the beach close by. The rooms are spacious with a good view over the harbour. The breakfast is amazing, something for every one. I will definately come here again!!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of September 2005

About what you'd expect for the price

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"This hotel is really a 2.5 star hotel. As for the good - the location is perfect. Right across the street from the pier with dozens of restaurants/bars/clubs, and a short walk to the beach and the old town. Also, the rooms were very clean. Definitely request a room facing the beach as opposed to the marina. On the downside, the mattresses and bedding are cheap and nobody at the hotel staff spoke English well. Also, they did not have any rooms with a King-sized bed, only rooms with 2 doubles, so it is more suited for pairs of singles as opposed to couples. Also, the breakfast is overpriced and not that good. There is a lot of variety, but everything is cheap and to make up for a lack of flavor and freshness, everything has a tremendous amount of salt added to it. You are better off sleeping in and eating at a local restaurant. Overall though, for the price, 78 euros a night, it is about what you would expect."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of September 2005

Just really pleased with the service by Viva Stay

Reviewed Thu 1st of March 2012

"We recently arrived back from a fantastic holiday in Benidorm, Alicante area. The hotel staff paid attention to every detail of our trip and made sure that kids were looked after in early evenings.

We booked our flights with Ryanair and our accommodation with Vivastay and i have to applaud Vivastay for making sure that our check-in process was made easy and hassle free, unfortunately Ryanair flight was delayed but viva made sure that the hotel was advised beforehand so that when we arrived at 1am the hotel was fully aware of our late arrival and because we needed to book an extra night for departure, Vivastay made sure that this was just added on without any delay.

Thanks Melia and Vivastay for a great relaxing trip

Sonia Eche"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of February 2012

Just returned from the Melia Alicante ,...

Reviewed Thu 28th of August 2008

"Just returned from the Melia Alicante , a great hotel. Stayed on the top floor and had a wonderful ocean view with a lovely large room. If you are like me and love the room cold at night to sleep you will find that the airconditioning just cannot cope with a large room no matter how much you keep the windows and doors closed all day.We had to get a fan as well which the hotel does not provide, but maintanience was kind enough to lend us their own one. Will either choose a smaller room next time or purchase a fan when I get there as they are not expensive.My daughter stayed on the 4th floor and had a wonderful room with a lovely view and because her room was a lot smaller the airconditioning worked well. The staff were fantastic and in fairness to them could speak a lot better English than my Spanish. I vow to improve my Spainsh before my next visit. The buffet breakfast is really good but get down before 9.45 or you will have to queue. The Terra resturant service and staff are great but the food is rather expensive for not enough volume , also not a lot of variety. The rice and potatoes left a lot ot be desired, a lot of meat and non exsistent carbs really.We had lovely Margaritas from the poolside bar at night , the view over the ocean is great. Fastastic chinese opposite, great food lovely staff. Also the second resturant on the beach has wonderful tapas and great desserts. The tram service near the hotel is great. We used it to go to the Terra Mittica theme park ( get off at Benidorm stop not the terra Mittica stop as it is closer). You can buy tickets for the park when you are getting your tram ticket at the booth by the tram stop. There is a bus from the train station in Benidorm to Terra Mittica. I recomend a taxi back to the train station afterwards though. Another thing is if you want to watch movies but do not want to have the Adult channels it is not possible. We payed for the movies so that my daughter and myself could watch a couple but when we realised the adult ones came on as well we asked for them to be removed and all the movies were taken off. Used the spa with my daughter and it was great, managed to get by on what little Spanish I had but please be aware that reception at the spa does speak very good english but you are in Spain, so brush up on your spanish if you want to converse with the other staff members. The prominard is a lovely walk with the Panoramis shopping center at the opposite end. The shopping center only contains resturants and cinemas. "

• Travel date: Thu 28th of August 2008

Hotels near Melia Alicante

Stayed at Melia Alicante? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Melia Alicante

• chinitaeche by chinitaeche

"Make use of the family services for kids "

Melia Alicante is also called