Good

Lovely location in town amidst construction

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"The hotel occupies a prime beach spot in Santa Maria, which is currently undergoing boom-town type hotel construction. While other hotels further back from the beach are surrounded by cranes and other construction sites, this hotel is for the most part untouched. Ask for a sea-view room and enjoy the sound of crashing waves as you come to in the morning! The rooms are fine, albeit not brilliant and most of the staff are friendly enough."

• Travel date: 22nd August 2007

Great Hotel, Great Holiday

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"If the Odjo D'agua had the problems reported on previous reviews, they have sorted them out now. All the staff are friendly and helpful and the maid service very thorough and efficient. The hotel has its own beach which is swept every morning apart from his day off!! There were always enough sunbeds The food was first class and the restaurant was well staffed and service wasn't a problem."

• Travel date: 17th June 2007

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"Just come back, had a brilliant week, food was fab, beautiful setting as long as you look out to sea, lots of building work around but that was only to be expected. Would certainly go back and stay at the same hotel."

• Travel date: 22nd May 2007

sal ex holiday

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"santa maria, sal is an excellent place to relax and unwind. we stayed at the hotel odjo d agua (means eye of the water). room was cleaned very day, towels changed every day. sea view from the room was excellent a must have if you are going on holiday here. roads are cobbly so take flat shoes. plenty of places to eat out. it has not rained on sal for 3 years. great for wind surfers and kite surfers. the hotel where we stayed was more sheltered from the wind. fresh fish every day what it come in from the fishermen. local people very friendly, we had no trouble. there is building work going on and people going out buying properties but i would not buy there, too far to go and i like to go somewhere different. visa card is needed to use the cash point at the bank. changing t/cheques at the bank is a pain you have to take a ticket and it can be a while. the hotel where we stayed changed t/cheques which saved going to the bank. euros are excepted. the sand and the sea is excellent. took some ex pictures there is a school nearby. from lesley"

• Travel date: 18th May 2007

CHIPS ON EVERYTHING

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"Having just read the review of this hotel from Ladyjoan I whole -heartily agree with all her comments. My wife and I stayed there at the end of March and I can honestly say I could not get home soon enough. It is staffed by particulary sullen individuals who seem to resent your presence and the level of service was non existant. The Hotel does not seem to have enough crockery or glasses and it was near impossible to find one that was not cracked or chipped. The only smiles that I saw were on the faces of guests as they departed for the airport. If you are thinking about going to Sal then please read the Brandt guide that gives an honest and accurate picture of this bleak and featureless island. Compare it's description of Santa Maria, Palmiera and Espargos to those in the brochures, the guide is spot on! This was the most disappointing holiday that I have had in 20 years"

• Travel date: 24th April 2007

Different at The Odjo d'Agua Hotel

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"My Wife and I stayed for two weeks at the Odjo d'Agua which was nice, nothing fantastic but nothing to complain about. The pool is quiet small but nice. The staff are good but not full of smiles. We had a junior suite which was spacious and clean. The beach was white sand and clean with plenty of shade . The hotel restaurant was fair, meaning that sometimes our meal would be ok or excellent depending on what is ordered from the same menu, but that applies to all the restaurants. Although Leonardo's, in town was the best restaurant, but you need to reserve a table, that applies to all the restaurants. Odjo d'Agua is within easy walk of the centre of Santa Maria. Money, it's not cheap in Cape Verde. We changed travellers cheques in the hotel. Everybody accepts Euros' and that is your best bet either cash or traveller cheques. Some places take Visa and the cash points do. MasterCard is not really an option and I would advise it is a no no. The locals are pleasant and give little hassle, you feel very safe. Santa Maria is clean, all the conveniences were very clean in all bars and restaurants. No pests or insects . There's not much to see, but wind surfers and kite surfers it's truly heaven. There is plenty of building work going on but mainly this not an issue as it is well away from the centre. Between 4 to 5 years Santa Maria will be a major place to visit. It has many things going for it, 365 days of sun, safe, quiet white beaches, blue sea's it really is a desert island. It certainly an option to the Mediterranean and a good step to the 3rd world countries. We booked with Holiday Options we rated them as average. Their information in the brochure was a little misleading. The trips are, we thought, expensive and the tour operator would only take Euro's as payment. We also a little disappointed when our flight was delayed then cancelled we had to push for the information. I felt let down and left out in the cold a little with that, but maybe it was a one off. Would we go again? Yes but only for a week of stop. I think we require more to see and do, previously we have been to Egypt, Thailand, Kenya, Goa. But I prefer Cape Verde to Tunisia, Morocco, Turkey, Tenerife etc."

• Travel date: 23rd April 2007

Not ready for Tourists!

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Our party of 6 family members, all adults, set off for Sal, Cape Verde with much excitement. It seems to have been billed as the new "caribbean", with a much shorter travel time etc. Let me enlighten anyone willing to listen! It is NOTHING like anywhere that I have been to in the caribbean! Flights are generally delayed, out/inbound. Taking 6.5hrs there and 8.5 to get back, after delays + refuelling stop. I have been to Barbados and back in less time! At least when you get to the caribbean, the locals are pleased to greet you. Not so in Cape Verde! The Hotel Odjo d agua was our worst nightmare. Rude reception, shabby, foul smelling rooms, total lack of service in the evening restauraunt. Noise like you have never heard, at night( well not since your twenties!). Honestly, I could go on, it was awful. I phoned home, and our travel agent had us moved ( at a cost of £600!). I won,t even bother to mention the Hotel we moved to. It was better, but not, definately NOT4* as they seem to be rating most of the Hotels. Fortunately, there were 6 of us, we had a laugh, AND we found th eMorabesa Hotel. Nice Restaurant, lovely bar, lovely staff. Please some one tell me, would you do all that travelling, for One good hotel? Its too intimidating to walk about at night, the locals definately do not want you there. Also, I must mention the weather. I love a cool breeze. That is not a breeze! It was blowing sand everywhere, day & night. No point in dressing up, you needed winter woolies at night. It,s def inately the real caribbean for us from now on. Please do not let my "username" put you off. I,m no snob, but my son always calls me ladyjoan because I won,t put up with any rubbish!"

• Travel date: 21st April 2007

The Odjo d’Agua is situated in Santa M...

Reviewed 17th April 2007

"The Odjo d’Agua is situated in Santa Maria on the island of Sal, Cape Verde. Cape Verde is less than 6 hours flying time from the UK and so is a good destination for those wanting to get to the sun quickly. The island of Sal is virtually a desert and Santa Maria is full of building projects. In March the weather was sunny but windy, but providing you had some shelter from the direct wind, the climate was rather pleasant. The temperatures were in the mid to upper seventies without the high humidity found in other sunny parts of the world. The beaches of Santa Maria are wonderful but the sea may be a little too rough for timid swimmers. However, the wind and the sea make it an ideal location for water sports enthusiasts. The hotel is in a great position right on the beach and only 5 minutes stroll from the main square in Santa Maria. We had a large room (no. 104) with a lovely view out across the bay towards the town jetty from the Bougainvillea covered balcony. The room was rather sparsely furnished but clean and comfortable. The hotel restaurant which overlooks the sea provided good quality and well prepared food, mainly fish, but the service in the evening was incredibly slow. The restaurant appears to be too large for the number of staff available. It was not helped by the restaurant filling up by 7:00 pm and many of the staff not arriving until 7:15 or later. Eating was far better outside the hotel and there are a number of good restaurants a short walking distance from the hotel. Leonardos and Chez Pastis are especially good but it is usually necessary to book. In fact the attitude of the majority of the staff was a major problem throughout the hotel. Reception was generally manned by unfriendly, unhelpful people. This is strange because the majority of local people we met on Cape Verde were keen to exchange pleasantries despite the obvious language problems. It may be that the lack of “friendliness” originates from the management. I don’t think I have ever stayed in a hotel where the management has adopted such a low profile. In two weeks I never found out even the name of the manager/owner and we, together with other guests, found it impossible to see him regarding the noise problem (see below) that was affecting so many people’s holidays. The hotel has a pub/night club that provides music until the early hours of the morning. Unfortunately the beat of the music reverberates around the main hotel building. Thursday is the worst night when the clients from the pub (who are not hotel guests) leave the pub and congregate in the hotel grounds for another two hours, finally leaving at around 5:00 a.m. Until such a time that the hotel sorts out this noise problem, I would strongly recommend people to take alternative accommodation in Cape Verde if they wish to have a restful holiday."

• Travel date: 17th April 2007

Great position but far too noisey

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"The Odjo d’Agua is situated in Santa Maria on the island of Sal, Cape Verde. Cape Verde is less than 6 hours flying time from the UK and so is a good destination for those wanting to get to the sun quickly. The island of Sal is virtually a desert and Santa Maria is full of building projects. In March the weather was sunny but windy, but providing you had some shelter from the direct wind, the climate was rather pleasant. The temperatures were in the mid to upper seventies without the high humidity found in other sunny parts of the world. The beaches of Santa Maria are wonderful but the sea may be a little to rough for timid swimmers. However, the wind and the sea make it an ideal location for water sport’s enthusiasts. The hotel is in a great position right on the beach and only 5 minutes stroll from the main square in Santa Maria. We had a large room (no. 104) with a lovely view out across the bay towards the town jetty from the Bougainvillea covered balcony. The room was rather sparsely furnished but clean and comfortable. The hotel restaurant which overlooks the sea provided good quality and well prepared food, mainly fish, but the service in the evening was incredibly slow. The restaurant appears to be too large for the number of staff available. It was not helped by the restaurant filling up by 7:00 pm and many of the staff not arriving until 7:15 or later. Eating was far better outside the hotel and there are a number of good restaurants a short walking distance from the hotel. Leonardos and Chez Pastis are especially good but it is usually necessary to book. In fact the attitude of the majority of the staff was a major problem throughout the hotel. Reception was generally manned by unfriendly, unhelpful people. This is strange because the majority of local people we met on Cape Verde were keen to exchange pleasantries despite the obvious language problems. It may be that the lack of “friendliness” originates from the management. I don’t think I have ever stayed in a hotel where the management has adopted such a low profile. In two weeks I never found out even the name of the manager/owner and we, together with other guests, found it impossible to see him regarding the noise problem (see below) that was affecting so many people’s holidays. The hotel has a pub/night club that provides music until the early hours of the morning. Unfortunately the beat of the music reverberates around the main hotel building. Thursday is the worst night when the clients from the pub (who are not hotel guests) leave the pub and congregate in the hotel grounds for another two hours, finally leaving at around 5:00 a.m. The Holiday Options rep said he hated Friday mornings when he was confronted by angry guests who had been kept awake most of the night. Complaints to the hotel, directly and through the rep, had no effect; one guest changed her room three times in a week in an effort to get a goodnights sleep, all to no avail. It appears that the management have no intention of changing the noise situation, perhaps now that Thomsons are using the hotel they may have sufficient clout to persuade the management that guests want a decent nights sleep and entertaining local people in the pub should not be the priority. Until such a time that the hotel sorts out this noise problem, I would strongly recommend people to take alternative accommodation in Cape Verde if they wish to have a restful holiday."

• Travel date: 16th April 2007

We didn't go back

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We only stayed one night at Odjo D'Agua but were due to go back for another six at the end of our two weeks in CV. The bedrooms/bathrooms were OK - if a little tired. The staff we met were not thrilled for us to be there! Our main issue was the cleanliness and service in the restaurant. Breakfast was due to start at 7.00am - this seemed to be when the staff turned up and started to set tables and sweep up the cigarette ends from the night before. The sink was full of dirty pots which was a great attraction for flies. Breakfast was gradually presented onto the buffet table over the next 40 minutes but with a taxi at 7.45 to the airport this was no good to us. The hotel is in a great position by the beach but we decided, for us, we wanted something more reliable so on our return to Sal went to the Riu."

• Travel date: 12th December 2006