About Hotel Marina Atlantico

Good
Good

Waterfront Modernity

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"We found the Marine Atlantico a modern, stylish four star hotel on the waterfront of Ponta Delgado. At the time of writing there are extensive building works going on to extend the sea -front promenade of the town, and you can expect heavy lorries bringing stones arriving every minute or so for about twelve hours a day - plus, of course, the attendant noise of civil construction. I know that this is not the hotel's fault, but feel that you should know.

First impressions were that the hotel was a little clinical, or business oriented, especially after our stay in the very friendly Terra Nostra Garden Hotel in Furnas. Here are a few observations we made at the time:

We were offerred no assistance with our baggage on arrival. The staff were courteous, but not friendly.

The rooms are not large, but are very clean and well equipped.

The hotel has a subterranean indoor pool and fitness room, but no outdoor pool (although there is a large public Lido across the road- this lido gets very busy and is yards away from the waterfront construction work). Nor has it, so far as we ever found, an outdoor lounging area, other than one's, balcony and a few tables beside the busy (four lane) main road.

The breakfast buffet seemed ill-organised (knives forks and spoons were all on separate tables, for instance) and the choice of food unimaginative. Evening meals are buffet too, though we never tried them, as it is very easy to eat a la carte for the same price within a few minutes' walk of the hotel.

All in all we felt the hotel was well located and airy, but not a place one would want to linger in for any length of time. Fortunately, Ponta Delgado has enough to see and do for a day or two, and the hotel makes an adequate base for that time. Much longer and the lack of a lounge/pool area and the noise of the road and workings would become, IMO, tiresome."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of August 2006

great hotel

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"My Fiance and I stayed in this hotel for 4 days. The room was fantastic. Very clean, modern, nice decor. The location is also very convenient with a fantastic view of the marina. The staff at the hotel were very professional and helpful. The only meal we ate at the hotel however was breakfast which was a standard buffet. The neighbourhood restaurants however are outstanding. Fresh food at very reasonable prices. I would definately visit this hotel again."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of July 2006

Beautiful Island

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"My sister & I visited St. Michael Azores for a week in June 2006, we stayed at the Hotel Marina Atlantico. It was a wonderful hotel, very clean and energy efficient. The breakfast buffet was wonderful (except for the scrambled eggs) but there was fresh fruit salad and rolls & muffins everything you needed to start the day. I had no problems with this hotel and found they were very helpful and plenty of parking in the garage if your renting a car. I would stay there again. St. Michael island is a sight to behold - very beautiful. We drove from one end of the island to the other seeing all the sights and beautiful flowers growing along the road. Drivers can be crazy, but just signal and pull over to let them pass, that all they want. Have lunch at the Terra Nostra Hotel and have a nice walk in the gardens behind the hotel. I absolutely loved this island and it's people. This is my heritage and I'm so glad I had the chance to visit it. Will return next year.
Joe"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of June 2006

Unspoilt Azores

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel in June 2006 with a specialist botanical tour. A large number of the clientele are older people with groups such as SAGA but there were other younger people there including a handful of families with children.

I will endeavour to give an objective appraisal of this hotel but our stay was rather spoilt because when I arrived home and emptied my bags of dirty laundry I discovered that two pairs of trousers had been stolen.

So if you stay here be warned to check your belongings very carefully each day. In over 30 years of travel this is the first time I have ever had anything stolen. Maybe I’ve just been lucky up till now.

The reception desk struggled to change traveller’s cheques for me. Either they didn’t have enough money or there was no-one to open the safe. This seemed pretty poor for a four star hotel servicing both tourists and business people.

That said, the hotel itself is stylish and modern but what it lacks in character it makes up for by being comfortable and clean. The bedrooms and corridors are carpeted so there is no clack clack of heels or scraping furniture at night, the beds are a bit hard but the rooms are spotless.

The hotel overlooks a small marina on the other side of the main road so if you want a quiet room opt for the back of the hotel. If you want a sea/docks view but the main road, opt for the front. The marina has a café that sells very good, cheap rolls and sandwiches.

The hotel buffet breakfast was reasonable but the evening buffet is uninspiring and repetitive. But it is quick, self service and convenient. That’s about all that can be said for it. There are plenty of restaurants around the town including a Tourism School which was apparently very good – turn right out of the hotel for a couple of hundred yards and you’ll see it.

The island of San Miguel is beautiful, scenic and fascinating geographically, geologically, botanically and just about every other ‘ically’ you can think of. But don’t equate the exotic name ‘Azores’ with tropical. The weather can be like Cornwall and change very very quickly.

In one day you can be shivering on the top of what could be Bodmin Moor, then bathing in a hot volcanic pool surrounded by huge tree ferns, then walking round a tea plantation, with distant fields of cows reminiscent of Surrey. To say this is a fascinating island is an understatement.

I would urge anyone to go there now whilst this gem is still unspoilt. There is no shabby tacky development anywhere, the little towns we passed through all seemed to have a sense of civic pride and were all well kept and clean, no graffiti, no litter etc.
Best of all in Ponta Delgada there is no McDonalds – yet. This must be one of the last places left in Europe that hasn’t been ruined by the downside of tourism.

Whale Watching – if you do this (and we did it with Futurismo opposite the hotel) you must be prepared to get very wet and very cold. We were a large group on a fibreglass boat. In the morning the sea was like a mill pond and they saw sperm whale, dolphins and even a turtle. In the afternoon we saw a large school of bottlenose dolphins, the sea was most certainly not a millpond, and in our ultimately hopeless pursuit of the elusive sperm whales which had been so plentiful in the morning, we were half drowned, frozen solid and two people were sick! Several backs were jarred as well! This is not for the faint hearted, although it was very invigorating. It’s just the luck of the draw on the day and we got unlucky. The Atlantic weather certainly changes in an instant!

We did not visit any of the other islands, San Miguel has enough to keep you busy for a week. Must-sees are Lagoa do Fogo, Lagoa Azul and Lagoa Verde, Terra Nostra Hotel gardens, Furnas Lake caldeiras, Caldeira Velha where you can bathe in sulphurous waters, and a tea plantation. Any good guide book will give details. At Capelas there is a derelict whaling station worth a visit. This place is very eerie with large black volcanic boulders forming the ‘beach’. It is easy to imagine the great carcasses being winched up the slipway. It is very poignant. Let us hope commercial whaling is never, ever resurrected. The Azoreans seem to have managed very well without it.

We loved San Miguel and the people we met were very friendly and somehow do not really seem to need tourism. What a shame our visit to this lovely island was a bit spoilt by such a petty thief."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006

No more buffets PLEASE

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We stayed here for one day however the quality of food was dreadful. Buffets all the way! Buffet for breakfast and buffet for dinner. Seems to be the only thing that hotels can do! We asked the receptionist for the A la carte menu and she advised us they don't do one. They do buffets everyday.....
Not a 4 star hotel as most people would expect."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of May 2006

The Azores are a fantastic archipelago i...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of November 2005

"The Azores are a fantastic archipelago in the middle of the Atlantic that are virtually unheard of at most high street travel agents. The scenery is outstanding and the people very friendly. The sea life around the Azores is varied and stunning from Sperm Whales to Manta Rays and every species of dolphin you can think of. The best experience for me was swimming in the ocean with dolphins and actually watching them feed!!!!

All the restaurants we ate in were of a very high quality and i can particularly recommend the seafood (try Wreck Fish a local delicacy). All in all a perfect holiday destination.!

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of November 2005

Clean & Modern, With a Nice Location

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We stayed one week at Marina Atlantico during our holiday on the beautiful island. We had a room in the sixth floor, with an excellent view over the public swimming pool area and the harbour. The room itself was very clean and we experienced no problems of anykind with that thing during our stay. Everything was cleaned and changed daily.

The room itself had a comfortable bed, excellent and fully adjustable a/c, automated minibar (dispate of this, it was not always filled up automatically), a safe, tv... And a nice little balcony with wooden chairs and a table. Nice place to enjoy a beer after a long day.

The breakfast was nice, but a bit simple for a hotel of this level. Don't get me wrong, you can easily live with that for a week, but not for two. I felt that the biggest (and perhaps the only) problem was, that you always had the same three cold cuts to have with your bread: ham, cheese and some very basic sliced sausage that I didn't find very appealing. I would think that as they have so many cows all over the island, they could have found some other sorts of local cheese and sausage for a change. Oh, and the bacon was not crunchy at all. :) But otherwise, very ok. All sorts of bread, juice, cereals, yoghurt etc was available.

We also checked out the hotel's bar, which appeared to be a very professional one. The service was good but a bit cold and discreet for me. If the weather is rainy, this place is well worth visiting. The atmosphere was very classic and, in a way, very nice.

I found the hotel's parking system to be well worth the money. Parking in Ponta Delgada can be a nightmare, as well as the driwing btw. Therefore I recommend that you take the parking slot from the hotel's garace and forget this problem.

A small disturbance was the hotel's check-out time: 1030 AM. I find this to be a bit early, but not a big problem really. The hotel has a room for your luggage, so you can quite nicely enjoy the possible afternoon before your flight home.

All in all: A great, modern hotel. While staying here, you can truly concentrate to your holiday and forget the "minor issues" found in so many hotels around the world."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of September 2005