Exterior

• coffee tea maker
  • valet parking amenities

It is the best

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"We stayed here for two nights this month. On the same trip we spent two nights also in Le Meridian which is just beside it. There is no comparison between the two. From the minute you enter the spectacular lobby to reaching your room using the glass elevators all we can say is WOW. Rooms are spacious and very well equipped. The bathroom is beautiful with a glass window in the bedroom that looks into it. There is an electric blind you can close for privacy. The shower and toilet are both separate units enclosed in opaque glass cabinets. Staffs were brilliant from the moment we checked in and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast buffet is brilliant and you can start off the day with a glass of champagne if you wish. We ate in the New York Bar and food was very good. You can sit outside in a very comfortable Parking costs €15 euros a day for guests and it is valet parking. Metro is about ten minutes away but there are always very nice taxis outside the hotel. Beware of phone calls from your room which can be very expensive. This is a really classy and professional hotel."

• Travel date: 29th July 2007

the best in Porto

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"The best hotel in Porto, modern room, excellent restaurant very friendly and attentive staff. A beautiful spa with pool and jacuzzi's (at an extra cost). WARNING: do not make any phone calls from your room. A few minutes (3 or 4 minutes) phone call to a portugese mobile number (theoretically a local call...) costed over Euro 40"

• Travel date: 22nd July 2007

Great Hotel

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"This hotel is a fabulous place to stay. It is located slightly outside the city centre but only a five minute walk from the metro station. The spa is wonderful very clean and very well trained staff. There is a charge of 10 euros per person to use the swimming pool and facilities which i feel was a bit of a hidden extra. Our room was gorgeous and it was wonderful to have a seperate shower in the bathroom. The only quibble i would have about the hotel is the air condtioning maybe it was just our room but it was warm even with the air conditioning on full power. Overall a lovely hotel, with very helpful staff. The breakfast and food in general in the hotel is of very high standard."

• Travel date: 15th July 2007

Splendid stay!

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Upon arrival my boyfriend and I were blown away with the pristine nature of the buildings’ exterior appearance and then the inside. It’s new, modern and very pleasing to the eye. Check in was quick and professional and they accommodated us well by giving us our room, no questions asked about 3 hours before we were meant to check in. We were placed on the 8h floor which we were delighted with because it meant we were able to enjoy the very fast and very exciting transparent lift; been a long time since I last got exited about riding a lift! The room was an ok size, nicely furnished offering good views from the window. The bed was probably one of the nicest, most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, very luxurious. The best feature had to be the glass wall separating the bathroom and the bedroom. The only problem with the room was no lock on the bathroom door. Another good thing about the hotel was the fact that there were always a line of Mercedes outside ready to drive you around town for ridiculously cheap prices. That was nice because I could never afford to do that in London. Also, the staff were always so helpful carrying shopping bags to and from the cars etc whether you tipped them or not which is always so hard to come by in hotels. We were fortunate enough to have breakfast as part of our stay, and I’ve got to say how good that breakfast was! I’ve stayed in many 5 star hotels, and even if a hotel gets the dinner right, I find breakfast food offered never excites me, except the Sheraton, Porto. Simply delectable continental, English and American style breakfast is on offer. Amazing fruit, wonderful smoked salmon, caviar and champagne as part of a big variety buffet. Truly a treat, perhaps the finest buffet food I’ve ever had the pleasure to try. The bar is also very nice, classy décor and live music. However it’s a bit small and has a tendency to get a little crowded. Also, be careful about getting a tab because the prices of the drinks were a little excessive, even for a 5 star hotel. All in all, fantastic hotel, truly enjoyed my stay."

• Travel date: 17th June 2007

Small rooms, 'cold' staff

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Going to a 5 star hotel one does not expects several things: small rooms (there are 3 stars hotel rooms bigger then these) cold and distant staff members (there was a destinctive difference in the treatment between the "mercedes" guests and to the "small car" guests ... even if we both payed the same...); the other problem with the room is the shower lack of isolation... even with the door closed the water will flood the bathroom... The good point of this hotel is it SPA... it is a great place! great swimming pool great jacuzzy and great beads to lay down ... the spa staff is great !"

• Travel date: 9th June 2007

Good but not outstanding

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"This hotel is undoubtedly modern and stylish. It has an impressive light and airy feel that pervades from the atrium lobby through to the bars, restaurants and bedrooms. Bedrooms are a decent size and are nicely finished in a contemporary swish look - not unlike a good Hyatt. The dark wood panelling is a nice feature and the spacious entry lobby to the room provides plenty of room. The bathroom is the most notable feature of guest room experience. It is truly very large and nicely designed. Frosted glass shower and toilet rooms are separated from the spacious centre of the bathroom and the glass wall into the room is great for watching TV whilst brushing your teeth (!) and also just for opening up the whole room. Service wise, this hotel had its surprises. The highlight was the restaurant staff who were just delightful during breakfast. Thougthful, friendly, professional and willing to go the extra mile. Is this one of the best hotel breakfasts anywhere? Is certainly up there. Yet reception were completely average. Not personal, lacking warmth; efficient but not offering that dignified graciousness that marks true 5* greatness. I certainly didn't appreciate having to prove that I had in fact booked a non-smoking room when at first allocated a smoking room. Moreover, where is the concierge at this hotel? We never saw anyone fulfil this role and the advice that we got from reception on local attractions, transport and directions was quite inadequate. The spa here is quite stunning. Yes we had to pay a small charge to use this area, but it was certainly worth it. The jacuzzi is truly impressive as are the lovely beds by the pool. Location is quite far from the charming old town, but the tram is efficient and this wasn't a major problem. From what we saw of Porto, I would choose the Sheraton again as ultimately it is a stylish and pleasant modern hotel. Porto itself is interesting and pleasant place for 2 / 3 days away - no more. It feels quite run down but is no less charming because of this."

• Travel date: 25th May 2007

Nice hotel but boring location far from the city.

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"The hotel is located outside of city center in an almost suburban area which did not look so nice. The taxi to the center was not expensive only 6 Euro. I prefer hotels either in a beautiful location or in the city and this hotel don not fit into either description.. The hotel is also quite large which makes you feel very anonymous as a guest which i do not like. I had to wait 5-10 minutes upon check out only two in reception and a long line since hotel is big. The hotel is quite new so very modern in design lots of marble, glass and steel not homely which i prefer. This kind of high tech design fitts better in NYC than Porto. My room was nice with a comfortable bed, bathroom with seperate bathtub and shower and also seperate toilet in bathroom which i like. Staff was standard nothing special the recommendation of restaurant i received turned out to be ok DTonho but nothing special. The restaurant was located in the nice area of cais da Ribeira where there are lots of restaurants and a beautiful view of the Port house warehouses across the river. I did not try the spa or breakfast so i can not add anything there. Porto is a nice town and i just wished i could have stayed longer since i only stayed for one day. To sum up + fresh, clean, comfortable, modern hotel/room, nice bathroom - location, large unpersonal, waiting time for check-out, no newspaper delivered to room"

• Travel date: 12th May 2007

Very nice hotel but service not up to 5*

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"I just spent a long weekend at the Sheraton Porto and through their website I got a good rate with breakfast included. The location of the hotel is not central but it's in a very nice area, with great shops nearby. The hotel is all very modern with glass lifts and nicely decorated open spaces. The room was great, a bit on the hip side but with all the conforts: large confortable bed, good pillows, many tv channels and very large. Bathroom was amazing, with glass walls , a good tube, separate shower and toilet and great toiletries. Everything was very clean. The breakfast was excellent , high quality and plentiful. From eggs, bacon, sausages to delicious pancakes, small pastries and cakes ( they had wonderful mini "pasteis de belem"), juices , fruits, cold meats and cheeses and even caviar and champagne. Service here was excellent and the girls were always attentive to the guests needs with a smile. Now comes the not so good about the hotel: - Food wasn't good at room service. I ordered a " francesinha" which was the worst I ever had. The steak inside was very thick and I could hardly eat it . It was dry and the sauce was tasteless. - Service was not up to a 5 * hotel. I asked on the evening of arrival to be delievered a local newspaper every morning, what didn't happen on the first day. After I checked with the front desk I was told they had no note about it. They then provided it the other days. -One of the days I booked a full spa day for which I would be paying 280 euros. At 2.00 pm I had a terrible headache and realized I had forgotten my painkillers so I called the front desk and asked if they could give me a couple. To my surprise I was told they couldn't because they had no medicines. I asked them why and I was told that they couldn't do it because they assumed no responsability for it. I told the man I was no drug adict, and painkillers were no drug. But they wouldn't give me . At 3.00 pm I had a 3 hour treatment booked and I went there with the terrible headache. After the treatment I decided to dress and go out to take a taxi , go to a pharmacy and buy the painkillers because my headache had turned unbearable. The taxi driver and the pharmacist were astonished to hear that the hotel didn't provide me a couple of painkillers ! ( which in Portugal don't need a doctor's prescription). -The spa is very nice and modern but I also have to say that the treatments aren't worth the cost. My 280 euros day spa included 4 treatments: a facial, a massage, a body exfoliation and a body wrap which should last 3 hours. The whole treatment lasted 2 hours and 15 minutes and I never had such a bad masseuse. she didn't waste any time on the massage and my facial left my skin just as it was . I am used to spa treatments whenver I go to a hotel with a spa and never paid so much for such bad treatments! -To top it all, I realized I had left my cell charger in the plug next to my bed when I was already at the train station and to my surprise they went looking for it and didn't find it. I asked the girl at the reception to ask the housecleaners that made the room after I left and call me the other day and until now ( 1 week after) I heard nothing from them and had to buy a new one. The Sheraton Hotel is a good hotel, very nice and upscale but the service has to match its stars. If you ask me if I would go back I don't know. I will probably book the Pestana or the Meridien next time. A 5* hotel must have a good service and that doesn't happen here."

• Travel date: 18th March 2007

Ultra-modern hotel w/good breakfast

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Stayed for 2 nights at the Sheraton Porto. Very modern chrome & glass, trendy red& black interiors. Bought a reasonable package at [--], including breakfast. Good selection of fresh fruit, omelet station, cereals and pastries. Also had some great cheese selections (I added swiss to the top of my omelet). It's in a very quiet neighborhood If this hotel were in a major city, it would probably be branded a "W" by the Starwood folks."

• Travel date: 28th February 2007

100% EXCELLENT

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"SUMMARY: A top rated choice. Highly recommended Located in the boring new business district of Porto. 10 minute drive to city centre. Excellent property, mint conditions. Hi-tech design and attractive environment. UPS EVERYTHING from helpful staff to 24-hour gym, nice pool, SPA, services. One of the best breakfast buffet around (top notch quality/choice). Hi tech room fully enjoyable with superb bed DOWNS Nothing of relevance"

• Travel date: 11th January 2007