Good

Very reasonable price hotel right in the...

Reviewed Mon 3rd of September 2007

"Very reasonable price hotel right in the centre of Oporto. Good for visiting many areas as near to metro and train station which were very cheap to use.

Room clean and large for 3 of us. Breakfast was nice , plenty of choice and lots of it. Staff very helpful giving us all the information we needed.

They also reconfirmed out flights and printed out our tickets for seats on way home.

Definitely to be recommended as we went out for Red Bull Air Race and we were central to all we needed. Would return again. "

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

Faded but good value

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"We have just returned from a 5 day stay in Porto, we stayed at the Grand Hotel De Paris, we had read some reviews and decided it would suit our needs. It is in a good location, just of the main square, close to the Clerigos Tower. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the breakfast was very good with both hot and cold buffet, the bedrooms were clean but dull and faded, overall good value for the amount we paid."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of March 2007

Well worth a visit

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for four nights in February - we had only intended staying two but our flight home was cancelled. We were quite looking forward to the hotel as the reviews are mostly positive and we weren't disapppointed. The hotel is certainly faded but it does still have charm. It's situation is fantastic. It is so handy for almost anything that you want to see. We had two different rooms - both were fine. The second was on the third floor and we had no problem with water pressure. Breakfast is far better than in most hotels - it is varied and there is something for everyone. We had a great time in Porto anmd when we return we would happily stay at the Grand Hotel de Paris. Incidentally we found the desk staff very charming, though the Portuguese in general are a very reserved people."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of February 2007

Great Location, Great Set-Up; Problems with Water Pressure and Airconditioning

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Been meaning to post a review on this hotel for a while... and finally getting down to it.
My friend and I stayed for three to four nights, and we found it most ideally situated, and very nicely done-up. Breakfast spread was very good as well.
The only problems were the water pressure of the shower (we were on the topmost floor), the lack of air-conditioning, and the somewhat lacklustre service.
Nevertheless, we recommend it if (i) you are visiting Porto during the cooler months (not sure how hot it can get in the summer without air-conditioning), and (ii) you request for a room on the lower floor to get around the extremely low water pressure in the shower.
It is on the whole, quite good value for money."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of November 2006

Ideal Second Visit

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"I stayed here five years ago with a pal when we were touring Portugal "on the cheap". This time I revisited it with my wife mainly because I could think of no better location from which to savour the atmosphere of the City in a three night visit, and also I still had warm memories of the friendliness of the hotel staff from my fist visit and a sense of "nostalgia" (it must be infectuous in Portugal) The price was so low that I was a little bit worried that it might have gone down hill. Far from it. It has undergone a refurbishment to bring out the original "grandeur" of the place as it was built in the 1880's. It was spotlessly clean, and the breakfast experience was even better than before. The bathrooms have been modernised and although the bedrooms are not "American size" (few are in Europe") the twin beds were extemely comfortable and the maid service first class. Because of the overall "Porto" experience I would recommend staying in this hotel (with its many souvenirs and artefacts of the past) as an essential part of a visit to Portugal. (But for how long can the prices remain so ridiculously low?) My advice? Go now!"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of November 2006

Very pleasant stay

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"This is easily the best value hotel we have ever stayed in. The building itself was beautiful, the customer service was excellent, and the breakfast was better than that of most four and five star hotels we have stayed at.
After breakfast you can sit out in the enclosed garden, which is very nice.
The room itself was a little simple, but it was clean and spacious.
Finally, it is very central."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of November 2006

Disappointed

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Last year on our arrival in Porto we stayed at the very comfortable Hotel das Artes but due to this years huge increase in rates we chose to stay at The Grand Hotel de Paris. We found the staff here detached and unfriendly. After being shown to a room with a very small double bed we asked if we could change to a twin room. Our request was granted but it was obvious that this second room had on going problems with unpleasant odours from the bathroom; plugs were in place, in bath, bidet and hand basin and there was a deodoriser in place. We did not wish to complain further and took the room. The beds were very hard. The Hotel was very clean and the breakfast was a pleasant suprise but I would not choose to stay there again. The faded grandeur was indeed faded and the front desk staff equally jaded."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of October 2006

Fabulous dining room, shame about the bedroom

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"This hotel has a great atmosphere and the dining room is very impressive. It is sunny, grand and uplifting.

However, our bedroom was a bit musty smelling and the bed was lumpy.

And if you like the staff to be happy and chatty then its probably not the place for you.

Overall, I loved it just for the sense of history and the location is grand too. For the price you probably couldn't get better."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of October 2006

Nice Hotel especially for the price

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"After reading some of the reviews regarding admin we decided to book the hotel through a third agent to avoid the hassle and it all worked very well especially as we paid 20 euros less a night than booking direct and it was a budget hotel to start with.

The location is great, Less than 5 minutes from Sao Bento Train Station just off the main square. The rooms were clean and whilst it was a bit noisey at night I don't think any other inner city hotel would have been any different.

Would recommend the hotel but be warned 2 days in Porto is more than enough to do everything."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of October 2006

Nice hotel, crappy admin!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"This is a really nice hotel, but our visit was spoilt by the terrible customer service.
We had booked by credit card the week before. However we had to phone ahead and cancel the first night of our reservation due to circumstances beyond our control.
All was fine until I checked my credit card statement on returning home, they had charged us for the cancelled night (in addition to charging us the single night supplement on top).
On contacting the hotel to clarify, they have sent numerous abrupt (and quite rude) emails in reply, will not accept responsibility and refuse to refund the charge made in error.
On reflection I recall that, as we were checking out, another guest in the hotel was complaining about the poor administration. The receptionist was quite snotty with him too!
I would be lying if I said this was a rubbish hotel, but I can't recommend it as I feel a little ripped off by the management here.
If you choose this hotel, my advice would be to check and double check the charges they are going to make on your credit card, keep all receipts and take a name and reference number should you need to cancel."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

A Wonderful Experience.

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"The Grande is certainly different. Although a two star, with prices to match, it is grand with a somewhat faded around the edges feeling, having seen better days a few decades ago.
It is, however, excellent value, the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and the buffet breakfast had a wide choice.
There is a small garden just off the dining room which is pleasant to sit in for breakfast (or any other time).
The staff were very helpful and spoke very good English.
The hotel is very well positioned, only a short walk to S. Bento station, the metro and most bus routes. We took a taxi from the airport which cost 19 euros. We returned by metro which took about 45 mins and cost less than 2 euros. There is also an airport bus which terminates about 150m from the hotel.
Public transport is excellent value. The urban trains from S.Bento took us to Braga, Guimaraes and Espinho, each trip costing less than 4 euros return. The trains are clean, modern, spacious and punctual to the minute.
The 500 bus from S.Bento takes you along the scenic riverside route and then along the Atlantic to Matosinhos. Hop off anywhere along here for a pleasant walk on a wide promenade. There are plenty of bars and restuarants. The bus is every 10 minutes so you can hop on and off.
They have done a lot to improve Porto, but there are still some very run down areas and some of the older pavements can be deathtraps for the unwary."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006