Loved this hotel

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"I absolutley loved this hotel. We got a great deal on the internet - €665 for 7 nights. The service was essential, rooms very spacious (super king size bed) and luxurious bathroom. Room was spotlessly clean and cleaned thoroughly every day. Great location - 10 mins to city centre in taxi (and only 6 euro!). There's a great supermarket straight across the road, great for a coffee and pastry in the morning. Overall Porto & the Le Meridien is ideal for a weekend break. I'd go back."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Faultless service

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Meridien and found the service there faultless and the room clean and very comfortable. Bathroom not as luxurious as at Lisbon hotel but very good. (Great value for money through expedia). It is a little way out of the city (too far to walk it regularly) but the bus service is good and it does mean that you are also quite close to Foz which is worth visiting for the view of the sunset on the atlantic. Thanks to the previous reviewer who recommended visiting Taylor's Port cave. We enjoyed the tour (and samples) and our meal in the restaurant afterwards."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of August 2006

Excellent service doesn't make it luxury or romantic....

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"It was our honeymoon and they did go the extra mile for us at Le Meridien in terms of service, but this is primarily a business hotel. We were upgraded to a higher floor and better/larger room and they brought a bottle of Portugese champagne and a dish of sweet petits fours the first night. That really helped turn the room atmosphere from business-luxury to romantic-classy. Otherwise, the breakfast that was included in the price left much to be desired and the room itself was standard issue business fare. Bathrooms not very generous in size though the room itself was quite roomy with a desk and seating area. Very comfy beds too! For the price this is a screaming deal especially when you get the kind of attentive service they provide. It is a bit far from the Ribeira and downtown so you have to take the bus or a taxi .... if you want a more tourist friendly hotel check out the Ribeira section, but if you are on business this is the hotel to stay at!"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Wonderful stay

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"A fantastic 5 star hotel with wonderfully appointed rooms with large luxurious bathrooms. Although some way out from the old town, one can easily reach it with public transport. You can also reach the coast likewise. Opposite the hotel is a large supermarket which we used to stock up on mineral water and other standard provisions for sightseeing. There was also a minicafe within the supermarket where you can breakfast extremely cheaply (70 cents for a great coffee and 1 euro for an egg tart or croissant). We had a picnic at the coast catching the sunset which was quite memorable (bought a fantastic fraggo assado (roast chicken), brie cheese, baguette and a bottle of wine from the supermarket). We got a fantastic rate of 70 euros per room per night on the hotel's website. Overall it made for a great stay and I would defintely return."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of July 2006

Enjoyable stay

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Location is not bad, 15 minutes walk to the metro, or outskirts of town, buses generally in Porto fairly frequent as is the metro. If your using public transport you can get a 1day (4Euro) or 3 day (9 Euro) travel card from the STCP shop opposite the main staion in town. 1 Day you can pick up on the bus (bus drivers seem reluctant to give this and try and sell you singles - keep refusing, the card has got the word EURO on it)

Hotel itself, (We stayed in this and the Sheraton round the corner, as we like to experience different hotels see my review there) I've read 5 star standards vary country to country so its probably unfair to compair it to the 5 star's in Cyprus which were better generally in comparison.

No pool, or sauna, or Gym, 1 resturant / bar, no balcanies in the rooms

Service was good, had to call someone when we thought the shower wasn't working (has a funny twisty knob thing).

Good standard marble bathroom, Shower is in the bath - i prefer it seperate personally.

Room was very nice, beds comfortable, medium/firm mattress, 2 armchairs in the room, AC etc

TV - they only had the standard channels, no films or movies etc

Breakfast was o.k. Bacon, sausages, mushrooms, pancakes, fruit, breads, cereals. No Chef, They had scrambled egg which looks like just the egg yoke scrambled, and runny looking, it never seemed to be popular I don't know why they bothered with it. no waffles / hashbrowns / beans :o(

Hired a car the last few days, the day I wanted to park it inside the underground carpark was full.

Port wine on arrival was nice. Never used the hotel bar / resturant.

For £60 a night it was good value. booked trough needahotel.com If I paid more I would have been disapointed"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of July 2006

Lovely Hotel, Great Price

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"This was a lovely hotel. The lobby, room, bar and restaurant were all beautiful. I was there for two nights on vacation with my sister. The hotel did not have the twin beds we requested, which was disappointing because we booked the room in February. (To be fair, we didn't arrive to check in until 10pm, but still.) We had a nice King rooom. Big bathroom, very clean and just gorgeous. For comparison sake, in the US, I stay in Westin's (part of the same family) and the Porto Merdien looked just like the majority of the nicer US Westins. A few drawbacks - no gym or pool and weak service from the doormen. As we entered and left the hotel, we didn't get the customary "welcome back to Le Merdien" or "may I get you a taxi" that is the role of a doorman. Literally, would hold the door, but not say a word. We would go outside, realize there was no taxi around, and then come back to ask "would you please call us a taxi". I think, there may have been a bias toward business people. As we were in jeans and casual clothes, perhaps the doormen assumed we weren't the "big spenders" that business travelers can be?? I don't know, but it was odd. Further along the business traveler vs. vacationer train of thought, we did have a very helpful conceirge that knew lots of details, but when he left and we had more questions, the new concierge gave us contradictory (and ultimately wrong) information about the tour we wanted to take. In all, lovely hotel, fantastic price (average $140 per night), and even though they weren't quite ready for tourists, still a great place to stay."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of April 2006

First class stay.

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"There is nothing much I can add to the other reviews. Everything about the hotel was excellent. It was a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride to town but the taxi was only about 5 euros. The taxi drivers seem a bit gruff at first as if you have spoilt their day simply by using their taxi but round your bill up to the nearest euro and you will always coax a smile and a "have a bem dia" from them! We particularly liked the bar at this hotel to begin and end the evening. It can be a bit rough in downtown Porto and a bit of luxury was fine by my hubby and me. The lager was expensive for Porto at 5 euros but the glasses of wine were delicious for 3 euros 50 and you got a few crisps and olives. Our room was soooo comfortable - we laughed at the size of the pillows everytime we saw them - as if the maids had been pumping them full of air with bicycle pumps!"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of March 2006

Excellent refurbished bedrooms

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel with 2 friends just after New Year for 2 nights and were all greatly impressed with the quality of the bedrooms.We had a room on the ninth floor with a good view and a really lovely bathroom and sitting area.Apparently all the rooms were refurbished about 6 months ago.Great friendly bar and restaurant and good location only short walk from the main shopping and a short distance to the old town and river.We intend coming back to Porto in the summer to take the train along the river and the boat back to town and will most certainly stay here.All this for £45 a night per room through Expedia."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of January 2006

Expedia were brilliant we got a very, ve...

Reviewed Thu 5th of January 2006

"Expedia were brilliant we got a very, very good deal. Flights and staying at Le Meridian 5* for 1 week for 2 people was about £350. The hotel was nice and clean and we had a very good room over looking the town. Drinks were quite expensive for what they were. We had a main meal in the hotel restaurant which didn't live up to a 5* expectation however it was nice.

The location was in the town of Boavista and on the high street. We took a bus from the airport straight to the hotel which took about 20mins and only cost 4Euro and dropped us practically straight outside our hotel. The bus driver spoke English and was very helpful.

Places to see: the beach was 30minutes drive which is fine if you can rent a car however younger couples like ourselves would've had to get a taxi or bus which is a bit of a pain. There is many shops and shopping malls 10-15minute walk from the hotel which was good. Many designer brands etc..

There wasn't much to do, and it was a mainly an older persons place. There was casinos and bingo, with many restaurants. The town is quite well off. Overall we did have a good time but wouldn't go back or stay for more than a week."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

A good, solid 4-star

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My wife and I stayed at Le Meridien Porto on Sunday 23 October 2005, in a deluxe room at EUR 127 including taxes. The hotel gave a solid 4-star performance. Staff were friendly throughout, and service was always prompt.

Check-in was quick and a welcome glass of port set the tone.

The room was reasonably sized, but no dressing table or vanity mirror for my wife, except in the bathroom. The glass shower screen on the bath makes it virtually impossible to turn on the bath water without actually getting into the bath. My wife noted the absence of cotton wool in the amenities.

The restaurant dinner menu was acceptable both for price and quality. Room service breakfast was well presented and delivered on time.

We would certainly stay here again."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of October 2005

Great hotel, wonderful price

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"I stayed at Le Meridien Porto in October 2005, and got a rate of $80 through trip advisor and Expedia. I thought the hotel was very nice - excellent service and clean, well-appointed rooms. I would definitely stay here again. Getting downtown was no problem either by cab or bus. I actually walked once back from downtown, which took awhile, but was quite nice. I would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of October 2005