Good
Good

perfect

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"me and my partner stayed at the vine in september, looking to relax in a nice place - and thats exactly what we got, and more. The hotel itself is situated perfectly in the centre of town within a great shopping mall which has a supermarket in (very handy). The service was excellent, not too in your face but they're prepared to wait on you 24/7 and are always friendly. The room was fantastic, very modern and comfortable with a great shower. We had a small balcony which was nice as i wasn't sure if they had them before going - so that was a bonus really. Breakfast was filling and always tasted excellent, the buffet has a good selection of cakes, cereals, fruits plus you can order something hot from the menu, so you're always full up when you leave. The best part of the hotel is the rooftop pool and bar. It looks amazing and the views are beautiful, even if it is cloudy it is still good to look out across the mountains & the sea where the ships dock. The water in the pool is warm and is always very clean, it really is a pleasure to swim in. Overrall this was a brilliant holiday and i would recommend it to people who want to relax and go to a beautiful island that has plenty to see & do. P.S. THE BEST HOTEL STAFF I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS - CAN'T THANK THEM ENOUGH!"

• Travel date: 20th October 2009

Luxury and Relaxation in Madeira!

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"What a fantastic hotel.....! After searching for ages trying to find a relaxing hotel to chill out in and get some winter sun, I came across Hotel The Vine as it has been previously mentioned in the Conde Naste Traveller Magazine's Hop Picks List. Admittedly, Madeira as a destination was in my opinion usually aimed at the older generation and I can understand why. The climate is great and Funchal pretty and there are loads of excursions to see the island as a whole. However, Hotel The Vine is trying to change that image and is certainly geared towards a younger crowd. This design hotel has it all, with service being a top priority. Upon entering up a spiral staircase you are immediately greeted by the Receptionist. I had booked via a number of emails and my details were already recorded making the checking in process extremely stress-free. We were then introduced to the Manager and she was extremely keen to ensure that we had everything that we wanted to make our trip a memorable one. This was an excellent start. After being given a tour of the Lobby area, we were then 'introduced' to our room - a fantastic suite with amazing views across the city with all mod cons that you would expect from a deluxe property - there was even an oversized bathtub in the middle of the room! Complimentary wine and fruit were also provided - a nice welcoming touch. The room had ultra modern lighting and the bed big and comfortable. They are obviously pleased with the Terrace and Roof Top Pool and Bar as we were then taken upstairs to the roof to take in the magnificent views of the town and the bay. It was awesome and quite unlike the majority of city hotels we have stayed in previously. The Terrace had a super cool infinity swimming pool and great sunbeds with everything you need to have a relaxing time, chilling out having a beer or a milkshake. The two restaurants also help this hotel stand apart from others in Funchal. The Terra Lounge is casual dining and where breakfast could be taken either inside or out. UVA up on the Terrace offered amazing gourmet food in a modern environment. The Tasting Menu with matching wines was superb - surely this will be the next restaurant in Madeira to gain a Michelin Star?! Although we didn't get a chance to go to the Spa, the treatments looked fantastic - something for us to try next time we visit! Service was excellent all round, from the welcome that we received, to the Bar men on the Terrace, to the Housekeepers - all seemed genuinely pleased and proud to be working there and this shone through when speaking to you. Things like this tend to make a good hotel into a top-class one and Hotel The Vine clearly succeeds in this area. The location was excellent being right in the middle of town, just a short walk to other restaurants and bars and the numerous pretty sqaures that Funchal has to offer. We took the cable car up to the village of Monte which provided more stunning views. The Tour of Blandy's Wine was also well worthwhile. I was surprised that the hotel didn't have a higher occupancy rate but I am sure that this will change once people realise just what a cool place this is to hang out. I thoroughly recommend it - go before the word gets out! We had a great time and will be definitely going back again! M&M"

• Travel date: 14th October 2009

Just go! The Vine Hotel is just incredible. It should be 6 star rated.

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"If you only ever stay at one 5* boutique hotel, I urge you to make it The Vine, in the very centre of Funchal. Words can hardly describe just how superb it is. And even the official photos on their website do not prepare you for the jaw-droppingly beautiful ultra modern design, the sumptuous bedrooms, the spectacular roof-top terrace, and the fabulous spa. As for the 360 degree view from the infinity pool and jaccuzzi at the top of this building, it would be hard to beat in any city. The Vine staff are discreet and efficient. Attention is paid to every possible detail. The mouth-watering menus are created by a 3* Michellin chef. The bedrooms offer state-of-the-art luxury (I particularly liked the fine Egyptian cotton sheets and way the touch sensitive floor lit up around the bed the moment I stood on it!) The spa offers exclusive treatments (including a jaccuzzi in wine and massage for couples!) and uses 'Theravine' beauty products from South Africa. The vineyard theme is carried throughout the hotel featuring huge backlit panels depicting close-up photos of vineleaves. We felt that this hotel is just what Funchal needs in its' centre, and is a welcome change from the row of (somewhat boring) 5 star hotels up the road. The Vine deserves to be much busier than it was when we stayed there, but it is very new (it opened in Dec.08), and perhaps has not been discovered yet by Premiership footballers and their WAGS. In conclusion, I cannot believe anyone would give The Vine anything less than a 5 star plus rating - or perhaps the reason is just sour grapes??"

• Travel date: 18th September 2009

By far the best hotel i’ve ever stayed in.

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"Our expectations where high after reading the other reviews on tripadvisor. And were our expectations reached? No, they were not, they were even succeeded. Even if I think really hard, I still can not find anything to complain about. The modern design was dark, but this helped to feel very relaxed. It was a contrast to the bright sunlight outside. Our room was spacious enough and decorated in shades of green. The lightning system as wel as the airco and drapes and blinds are all controlled by a high tech system and it’s something to get used too. We had a small balcony, but why do you need a balcony on your room when there is a beautiful terrace on the roof. More on that later. In the room upon arriving, was a large plate of fruit and a bottle of water. On the flatscreen TV was a message welcoming us to the hotel. The receptionist gave us a full tour of the hotel. This was a nice touch The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were heavenly. There was enough closet space, a mini bar and a safe. A flat screen TV with many channels. The bathroom had both a large bathtub and walk in shower which was huge. There could easily fit 10 persons in it without feeling cramped. The room was very clean and the housekeepers were wonderfull. It seemed they cleaned your room each hour. When we went to breakfast and returned, everything was cleaned and the bed made up. If we used a towel and came back later, it was already replaced. In the evening they lay open your bed and put your slippers and a towel next to your bed. Excellent service. The hotel has two restaurants. There is the terra lounge, next to the reception. Here is the breakfast. You can go to the lounge anytime to get a drink, lunch or dinner. It’s decorated in brown and has root-like wooden sculptures to stay in the theme, which is grapes/grapevine. The second restaurant is on the roof and is called UVA. This restaurant is simply perfect. Great views, excellent food and great service. If this isn’t going to get a Michelin star in the near future than the Michelin people don’t know what they’re doing. We went to eat at ‘Il Galo del Oro’, the only Michelin starred restaurant in Madeira and while it was not bad, it was nowhere near UVA. Also on the roof is the swimming pool, sun terrace and a bar. Hard to imagine you’re in the centrum of a busy city when lying there enjoying the sun. It’s very quiet there and it has great views. In the basement is a Spa, well worth visiting. I would recommend the red wine bath. Very relaxing and the complementary glass of wine ads to the atmosphere. The staff were very helpful and well trained. Their English was perfect and they were all very friendly. Whatever you needed, they were able to help you. Does this hotel have a disadvantage? The previous poster talked about a lack of seaview, but on the roof you have a great view, not only of the see, but also off the mountains. That’s what you get when choosing a hotel in the city. But it came with a lot of advantages the other hotels didn’t had. It’s right in the centrum, easy to visit Funchal. Only a 1 minute walk to the marina, where the other hotels are almost a 15 minute walk to get to the center. If you are planning on staying in this hotel, you will not regret it. It’s nearly pefect. And when staying there, be sure to check out a little restaurant called ‘Jardim Des Flores’ in the Rue d’Ivens, only a minute away from the hotel. Very friendly hostess and very tasty dishes for only a small price. Their squit salad and their Espada with backed banana are heavenly. Be sure to check them out. Normally we don't go to the same city twice, since there are so many places left to visit, but we will return to Funchal, just to have the change to enjoy this wonderful hotel"

• Travel date: 18th August 2009

Disapointed

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"We like modern hotels and found this hotel in Madiera Island. We wanted to experience the nature but we definitely choose the wrong hotel. Our arrival was quite weird the hotel is in a shopping centre and we have to enter the mall to get in. The room was nice but not the view. We never thought we would feel in a city building. Quite expensive for the location and for the lack of outside areas that one would expect in an island. The pool scenariowas great although. The restaurant was nice. Nice staff"

• Travel date: 5th April 2009

A truly fantastic experience

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"If there is something I really enjoyed during my stay in Madeira is definitely the “The Vine” hotel. The rooms are spacious, modern, and fully equipped with amenities: a big bath tub, a large walk-in shower with traditional shower and waterfall. Simply fantastic. The colors of the room are dark and it helps relaxing your eyes from the sun shining outside. The bed is very comfortable. I slept extremely well for the four nights I stayed. Six hours there are like eight hours in a traditional bed! The hotel also features a fantastic restaurant on the roof terrace with incredible food (Michelin starred or equivalent) where to enjoy dramatic views over Funchal during daytime of nighttime. The desserts are to die for and the staff is very well trained and nice. There is also a pool and plenty of space for sunbathing and relaxing at the open air bar. The hotel also has a cozy modern Spa underground. This is the perfect spot where to relax after a long walk in one of Madeira’s natural parks. The Jacuzzi and the sauna are complimentary. But the most impressive part of the hotel is the people working there: they are all genuinely nice and friendly. Nelio, the director of guest service, Elvio the guy at the entrance and everybody else was really fantastic, always nice, smiling and willing to help. I never felt so pampered. I really enjoyed my stay in Madeira and at the The Vine Hotel and I would definitely recommend it to everybody."

• Travel date: 24th March 2009

It doesn't get much better than this

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Having not been abroad for the whole of 2008, I was looking for something pretty special for my first holiday in 2009. After choosing that Madiera as the perfect place for a little but of winter sun and exploring, the next challenge was finding a hotel, and what a hotel it turned out to be. There is always a risk when choosing a new hotel as generally there are little or no recommendations to go by but, this hotel far exceeded my expectations. Just to give you an idea of just how good it was, these are my two complaints: 1) The shower leaked over the bathroom and toilet floor 2) The minibar fridge was poor, practically room temperature Apart from this, the whole experience at the hotel was outstanding, to the point where the standard of the service was so personal and professional, that we felt like the only guests in the hotel. Like a previous reviewer mentions I would not recommend for families with young children, I consider this to be more the perfect choice for a romantic getaway and for people who want to explore the town of Funchal. I could go on and on about fantastic it was, however all I am going to say is, try it yourself and I promise you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: 1st March 2009

Already booking again for July need I say more

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"As the previous reviewer has said take the address as the taxi drivers do not know where it is, one comedy moment was getting in a Taxi outside the hotel and the driver asking us what hotel we were staying in "that one we said" what in the shopping centre was his bemused answer. That aside and it really isn't a problem anyway the hotel is extremely good and the staff excellent. It makes a plesent change to stay somewhere where the designers view of class isn't flowery curtains and mock regency furniture. The light system also controls the curtains and blinds leading to one incident where Funchal had a 4th floor streaker on its hands,a quick lesson is definately worth it when checking in. The hotel is very much Adult focused and not one I would take my children too stay in. That said it is very central so lots of things to do on its doorstep, just lacking in pool space etc. We did eat in the top floor restaurant and a definate 10 out of 10 for effort but the food fell a little short of expectations. That said the hotel is new and very empty at the moment so I am sure they will improve very quickly. Breakfast is fantastic in fact you could eat breakfast and skip lunch there is so much on offer. Madeira is trying to change its image and appeal to a younger age range as well as its traditional visitors and the hotel lends itself very well to this ethos. (Why build a multi storey car park and block the views of the sea though) As I said it was very quiet but Funchal could really do with some younger up market bars and the walk at night is a little disconcerting due to the amount of drunks and the resulting smells. Apart from that downside The Vine gets a definate thumbs up form us and as I said I will be back in July especially as its a hops skip and a jump from the Marina"

• Travel date: 24th February 2009

Beautiful hotel, Unbelievable service

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"We stayed at the Vine hotel for four nights. The last time I was in Maderia was over 20 years ago and a lot has changed. We picked the Vine hotel because we wanted to be in town. The hotel has been opened for less than one year. Most of the taxi drivers didn't know where it was, so if you book here, be sure to carry the address with you. The Vine is a beautiful and ultra contemporary hotel at the edge of the downtown area. As the previous reviewer noted, the service is the best we have ever had. And we travel a lot. The Director of Guest Services Nelio Afonso was there to greet us when we arrived and was kind enough to show us around. He even gave us his email address and cell number in case we ran into any problems. We were booked into a room on the second floor. Since there wasn't much of a view (buildings all around), we asked to be placed on a higher floor. Our request was immediately handled and we were placed on the fourth floor (we had a view of the water where the cruise ships park). The rooms are ultra modern, super clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. By European standards, the room was very spacious with a huge tub. Be sure to get briefed on the lighting system. It does take getting used to. The system is so modern, that when you get up in the middle of the night, lights from the bottom of the bed go on so you can see what you are doing. Breakfast was included. Like everything in the hotel, it was great. You order off a menu, but they also bring you fresh orange juice, a huge basket of different breads and pastries and a plate with different meats and cheeses. You will not leave hungry. The quality of the food was superior and again, the staff is friendly, warm and always wanting to help. During the day, the front staff handled all our arrangements and dinner reservations. And on most days the Director of Guest Services was there to make sure everything was going well. We did not eat dinner at the restaurant at the hotel, but we have no doubts the experience would have been extra special. The top floor terrace is absolutely beautiful with an pool and bar and beautiful views of the city, mountain sides and waterfront. We were extremely sad to leave this beautiful hotel and great staff. You are in town, so you will hear people talking below on the street, in the morning hours and in the evening."

• Travel date: 16th February 2009

A devine long wek end

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"We arrived to ths Divine Hotel and The Guest Director was outside waiting for us with an umbrella bec of the rain.Very kind and professional guide us to the Hotel and showed us all the amenities and also the Room.When we reach the room we loved it....nice and very originallary decorated .and The shower has a cascade flow..the room is extremely pleasant and the bed funtastic.I always feel strange on my fiirst night but at The Vine Hotel I slept like a baby everynight.The service from the doormen to the Director was excellent and they have this funtastic SPA where Manuela and Fatima the therapists have excellent hands for massage.We wanted to try everything because the list is so inviting and they are so good pros on this area. The Vine has a beautiful terrace with a pool a bar a restaurant with a 360* outstanding view where i believe on summer time will be very crouded.We also tried their restaurant w 2 michellin prizes....the food original the service excelent and the deserts were speechless.Not to forget that everyevening we had a special sweet surprise for us at the room. I have to say that Nelio the Guest Service Director adviced usvery kindely every restauant places to go and took care of our promenade in the island beautiful one where you imediate feel that ou must come back. To resume let me say im portuguese and I ask to my self?What took us so long to go to Madeira(Funchal)?Its so beautiful.And The Hotel?You definately wil have a Devine Staying!Karima and Kim"

• Travel date: 19th January 2009