Other

• evening entertainment
  • private pool

Great place to stay

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"My friend and I have just returned to the UK having enjoyed a super one week stay at the Regency Cliff. The staff were all extremely helpful, especially those on reception who helped out with restaurant reservations and other advice. Nothing was too much trouble. Our room was had a great sea view, was well maintained and spotlessly clean as indeed were all other areas of the hotel. The breakfast buffet was varied, and although we only had one dinner in the hotel it was good. One of the things we most liked was the fact that the hotel was smaller than a lot of others in the area, which I think gave it a more "personal" feel. This was our first trip to Maeira and we loved it - we shall certainly return to the island the the RegencyCliff."

• Travel date: 12th August 2008

Lovely hotel

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"We have just returned from 10 days at the Regency Cliff Hotel. We travelled there with another couple and I have to say that all four of us thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. The staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. We stayed on a B&B basis, and the breakfast had a large variety to suit all tastes. The rooms were lovely with a sea view and not overlooked. They were cleaned and tidied every day with small touches like nightdresses made into flowers etc. We would definitely go back and totally disagree with the previous review, as the reception staff were all really nice and helpful whenever we had a query, from asking directions to sorting out car hire. Well done on a lovely hotel!!"

• Travel date: 10th August 2008

Recommended

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at The Madeira Regency Cliff Hotel for one week in July 2008. When we arrived we were upgraded to one of the only two suites that the hotel has. The suite, room 304, had a kingsize bedroom, lounge diner, double bathroom, large foyer with kitchen (with ample size fridge) and a double balcony. Very clean. Maid visit everyday. The suite overlooked the Lido, way below which could get very noisy during the day. Between 5 and 6pm most days loud music was played at the Lido, in fact it was the same 30min tape played twice. Please don't let this put you off becuase from 6pm it got very quiet and indeed the hotel itself is really very very quiet. Happy hour between 6 and 7pm - We indulged on many a cocktail which were well made. If you book dinner you need to know that although you book a table it is not reserved! You can't pick a table. What we noticed was that at 7pm single people started sitting at their table of choice until 7:30pm when the rest of thier party arrived. Obsessive behaviour in my view. Small pool, more of a plunge pool than a swimmimg pool. Plenty of sunny areas to sunbathe - when there's no sun cover of course!! Free bus to Funchal is a great service, on time each time we used it. But, you must book it. It starts at the Madeira Palace and if you're not booked on from the The Cliff you might not get on. Local bus service is great. All busses that pass the hotel go to Funchal. These run about every 15mins with the bus stop just 50yds left outside the hotel. Unlike other reviews, we had good service at reception and everything for us went really well. So, good experience for us.Looking to stay at the Madeira Regency Palace the next time we go. By the way. The Madeira regency Cliff isn't really cut out of small children - nothing there for them. Go on give it a go....this is a good friendly, clean hotel."

• Travel date: 8th August 2008

Arrogance paired with incompetence

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"The front desk staff's performance is far away from what I experience in international 5-star hotels. Basic service standards are not mastered, instead customers face arrogance and incompetence. When asking for the General Manager, a young lady appeared after a very long waiting period. She turned out to protect the incompetence of her staff, acted in a cheeky and arrogant manner. This young lady had apparently never heard of "customer satisfaction"."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2008

A lovely hotel.

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We found this hotel to be one of the cleanest and best maintained that we have ever stayed at. The staff were always friendly and polite and the food absolutely divine whether it was a buffet night or an al-a-carte night. The breakfast buffet offered a good selection. The room and common areas were spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom very spacious. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone visiting Funchal."

• Travel date: 24th May 2008

Upsetting experience

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"We booked 6 weeks in advance through an internet site; checked out other guests very favourable reviews and were looking forward to our stay there. Astonished to be told on arrival that they were full up and could not accomodate us. We never found where the fault lay (hotel or travel agent). The man on reception was very embarrassed and apologetic, and offered us an "upgrade" to their 5-star Regency Hotel, but the only room here was tucked away at the bottom floor with a poor view of the sea through a hedge. Sea view was the main reason for choosing the Regency Cliff. We stuck to our guns of not accepting what was not what we had expected, and ended up at the Golden Residence - look for our review on it. Anyway the Regency Cliff offered us a free dinner, which we can report was delicious, contrary to some of the other reviewers comments. All depends on your preferred food - we like what fatties call healthy food, fresh fruit and veg and lean meat or fish."

• Travel date: 14th April 2008

loved this beautiful hotel

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"My husband and I visited this hotel from 1st feb to 8th feb 2008 for my 40 th birthday,our stay from start to finish was perfect.The staff are excellent they are only too happy too help you in any way.They evan made me a cake on my birthday which was delivered too our room with a bottle of madeira wine.The rooms are larger than we have stayed in before ours was no. 312 which looked out onto the ocean and the view to funchal.Our view downwards was of the pool area which was partially covered by a palm tree which we did'nt mind at all.The balconys are large with a table and chairs on them very private from other rooms. The room itself was very clean and roomey with fridge and mini bar payable to the hotel, but room for your own drinks as well. Tea making facilities restocked every day free of charge.Tv with music channels and news channels including bbc news. The bathroom was very nice with shower over bath sink in vanity unit toilet and bedet,also robes for your use. The breakfast was excellent fruit, buns,many breads, meats cheese cereals also warm breakfast all portugese but still nice. we didnt eat evening meal in the hotel as there are so many great places too eat out at very reasonable prices, but what we saw looked very nice,if you arrive late on your first day the monumental grill accross the road from the hotel is really worth a trip. through the day the hotel serves lunch in the main restaurant which is 3 courses abit too much for us at lunch too eat, but the pool bar serves food such as burgers and fries or great salads and sandwiches with great fillings. Getting around while you are there is really easy you can book the shuttle from the hotel to funchal which runs every hour free of charge if you dont book you can nearly always get on last minute. Walking takes approx 45 to 60 mins if you stroll all down hill so best get bus or taxi back only 5 euro. you can walk part way on the promenade but then you need to join the main path way to reach funchal town which is great you can choose to relax and watch the world go by or shop till you drop. We did the cable car and tobogan and west island tour all worth it still plenty more to do as well like the gardens and levada walks.We were there while the carnival was on something not too be missed if you go this time of year.We loved madeira so much that we want to return in the summer to experience it in hotter weather, our week was lovely with only 1 day of cloud but if you are cold at night like me take a long sleeved top. I would recommend this hotel to couples but with the pool being small maybe kids would'nt like it so much.We had a great time and cant wait to return."

• Travel date: 28th February 2008

never again

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"Despite 4 emails left stranded at airport room clean with great view the only meal we ate in the restaurant it was disastererous on complaining about wrong meals the head waiter became aggressive we waited 25 minutes for one meal to be replased to call the food mediocre would be high praise indeed upon settling our bill I understandably declined to pay the portion that was amiss the manageress was rude and aggressive and threatened to call the police if the bill was not settled in full she agreed to a small discount. There were numerous other complaints one of which required medical attention on my return home completely due to the hotels fault my wife and I are middle aged and have stayed in hundreds of hotels worldwide and have never experienced such treatment Maderia is beautifull but give this place a miss"

• Travel date: 8th February 2008

All a little discombobulated

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"I booked my room at a website that appeared to be the hotel website but turned out not to be. When I arrived, there was no record of my reservation. After much fiddling around which took kind of a long time, they managed to track it down at a reservation service I'd never heard of but had apparently used. Unfortunately, only very pricey premium rooms were available for the second night of my stay, and that was not what I had reserved. So, I ended up staying in a superior room for the first night then moving on. The sea view from my room was absolutely wonderful. The room itself was comfortable but a little tired--spots on the carpet and so forth. The gym was very minimal. The receptionists were very friendly although we got off on the wrong foot with that reservation mixup. They get you coming and going with various charges. It's expensive to use the internet terminals in the lobby. There is fortunately a very good wifi hotspot at the Forum shopping center just across the street. There is also one on the beachside walkway although I couldn't get a connection there. And it cost 3 euros to get down to the ocean to swim"

• Travel date: 27th January 2008

small but friendly

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"very well run hotel friendly staff excellent breakfast a bit of a walk to funchal but there is a free bus pools clean rooms big nice views chamber maids good good shopping centre across the road with cinema . private accsess to lido . fireworks on new years eve are breathtaking we did watch from the hotel .loads of good cheap restaurants nearby. the paella restaurant is best .get in there early as it gets very busy and you might have to wait for a table .west tour is a must book with strawberry tours localy run we reccomend this hotel for middle aged couples and really enjoyed are stay ."

• Travel date: 16th January 2008

A beautiful hotel situated overlooking t...

Reviewed 30th April 2004

"A beautiful hotel situated overlooking the sea and within walking distance of the main city of Funchal with its shops and casino. All year round sunshine. Great food. Fabulous walking trips and island tours. The spectacular views of the island are best viewed by taking the cable car to Monte Gardens with its wonderful array of plants. For a 'quick way down the mountainside' take a trip on one of the toboggans. Hair-raising!! Highly recommended. Very few natural beaches though. Definitely worth a visit"

• Travel date: 30th April 2004