Exterior

• shuttle bus service
  • smoking rooms available
  • sauna
  • heated pool
  • free shuttle or taxi services
  • tennis court
  • babysitting
  • diving
  • butler service

1962 reviews

Very Special

Reviewed 10th April 2015

"This is our third visit, to this fabulous hotel, and we will be booking again for next year. We sometimes wonder if it's worth trying something different, but when we get here we can't resist booking again for the following year!!, we always book half board, as we really do appreciate the fabulous food, and it would be a shame to come here and not eat at the hotel. The staff are always very welcoming, some of them have worked here for years, and they do look forward to seeing there guests return. Many of the other guest we have met, have also returned on many occasions. The hotel is positioned right on the coast, it is very sheltered, and a real sun trap. When looking at the weather forecast online you can be deceived it to thinking it's going to be cool, but pack the shorts and tea-shirts, because we have always found the weather very good, and we usually visit over the Easter holidays."

• Travel date: 10th April 2015

A wonderful hotel

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Reid's for a pre Christmas break having heard of it's reputation for excellence. We were not disappointed! We were given a free upgrade to a beautiful room with the most amazing view over the sea and Funchal, and the night-time view was even more spectacular, made so by the Christmas lights in the town. In no way could we fault the hotel; all the public rooms were beautifully furnished and decorated. There were 3 dining rooms open for evening dining, and the standard of food was outstanding. There is a breakfast dining which was a delight to eat in and had a huge selection of food to suit the tastes of it's international guests. There is also a most attractive dining room beside the pools for lunch. We were made very welcome by the manager and his staff who were extremely friendly, and we were very impressed by the daily change of bedlinen and the twice daily change of towels. When staying in hotels I dread what kind of beds I shall find as I have a back problem. Reid's Palace beds are the most sumptuously comfortable that I have experienced, all being Sealy mattresses. We cannot recommend it highly enough!"

• Travel date: 5th March 2008

Reid's Hotel perfect short break

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"We were looking for a quality short break, somewhere interesting, in a traditional, high quality hotel. The Reid's Palace, Madeira was just perfect. Just over three hours flight from the UK, and a twenty minute taxi ride transports you back to an era of tradition, service, and quality. Although the hotel was established back in the 1890's, the Orient Express group have managed to restore the hotel to the highest levels. Maintenance and housekeeping are of the highest standard. The restaurants offer formal dining (jacket, or Jacket and tie) in the main hotel, with a less formal option in the Italian Cipriani, situated in a seperate building. The food sampled was of a very high five star level, utilising both local and imported ingredients. The grounds are a big plus, 10 acres of established gardens to wander in, with even a lift down to the sea for sea bathing if the two large heated pools are not enough. We only tried one Spa treatment each, but found the level better than we have experienced previously. You can arrange 'Levada' walks, private cars and drivers, and sports activities without any fuss from the concierge. We found the driver 'Oscar' provided by the hotel a real gentleman with very good English, and a real understanding of the island. Recommend a 'Levada' (irrigation canal paths) walk. Do ask what level you are walking, we took an escorted easy walk, and this was great, but some of the high mountain longer walks are only for those with a head for heights, and the right equipment. Eating is good in Madeira, and if you need something simpler than the excellent dining in the hotel, a trip to the old quarter of Funchal finds some great local restaurants with fish being particularly good. Espada being one to try. Madeira wine tasting (and buying) is of course a must. A visit to the market in town is worth a trip, especially towards the end of the week when there is more to see. Gardens are good, this is an island with abundant flowers, all year round it seems. We also bought some lovely hand made embroidery, look for the hologram label to avoid machine made immitation. One negative, there is only one official tourist information office in Funchal, on the Avenida Arriaga, but quite a few 'unnofficial' ones, these are fronts for time share sales, be warned! You need at least two days sightseeing to take in the island as it is pretty slow going over some mountain roads, but you can always take the new tunnels and roads, constructed from EEC grants we are told, to save time getting from A to B. Driving is much improved from the old days apparently, as is flying in and out, with the new runway extension. Madeira people are charming, and this is reflected in the lovely hotel staff. They are really well trained but very 'human', this is not a stuffy hotel, far from it, just a beautiful place to relax. I have been an owner of a travel company for over 35 years, have travelled to many parts of the world, and stayed in some very good hotels. I can confidently state that this is amongst the very best, and I look forward to returning."

• Travel date: 4th March 2008

Amazing

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"Our stay here last October was a special treat. We had high expectations, given the Palace’s reputation. These expectations were definitely meet. The hotel has a fabulous 1920s colonial ambiance: it is like staying in one of the grand European in an Agatha Christie novel. The island is famous for its climate and flowers. Mirroring this, the public rooms are very grand, and there are amazing flower displays and luscious house plants dotted about. A nice touch which really brought the outside in. Another review has criticised the location of the hotel Ocean, I think this is one of the greatest things about the place. Slightly out of Funchal (were there is quite a lot of building work and stray dogs and noise from both of these), the hotel is perched above the sea, on a steep cliff. As a result it has wonderful views. These can be enjoyed with the amazing afternoon tea which is served on a veranda overlooking the sea. The bedroom was lovely, with an inspirational view across the sea. I could have gazed at the view for ever. The bathroom was nice, but could have been better, I suppose, given the tariff (grouting by the sink for example). Not at all serious though. Diner was sublime and the service with the dinner was wonderfully formal. Lastly, not related to the hotel, but worth knowing if you are planning a trip: we took a tour of the island with a taxi driver, which a friend suggested was a nice way to see the island. I would not recommend doing this because, while it is set up as being good informal way of seeing the island from a native perspective, it is a sham and you are taken to “a lovely small restaurant my friend runs” only to find that two coach parties are leaving as you arrive. We were also taken to a restaurant on the south of the island (same overtly commercial situation there) where I was served a fresh red snapper fish which tasted of diesel."

• Travel date: 4th March 2008

Over the top luxury

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"You just have to go to Reids to experience something special Just dont take young kids as its far too OTT for them unles they are already wearing ties to dinner at 6 years old ! Everything is fabulous - average age about 60 !"

• Travel date: 19th February 2008

World Class Service

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"This was our first visit to Madeira and we decided to do it in style by staying at Reid's Palace and we were not disappointed. The quality of customer service is excellent. Nothing is too much trouble. The general manager and all the senior management of the hotel are regularly seen about the hotel. The Spa which is new has a great Sauna and Steam room which residents use free of charge along with a well stocked gym Breakfast is excellent. The pool and surrounding faciltities are first class the the room we had was roomy and extremely well serviced every day. The food is pricey (17 Euros for a sandwich by the pool). We discovered a great sandwich shop across the road from the hotel which did a good sanwich, sausage roll and coffee for 5 euros! Do bed and breakfast rather than half board. Eat out. I know that Reid's is one of the most expensive hotels on the island but if you want to do it in style try Reid's. And if anyone wants a good taxi recommendation for a trip round the island, we have one!"

• Travel date: 4th February 2008

A truly Grand Hotel

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"This was our third visit to Reids but we hadnt been since 2000. The trip was a treat for my wife's birthday - Xmas day. We booked Reids Xmas package. Knowing that the hotel had been refurbished since our previous stay we were slightly concerned that it might have lost some of its character. We couldnt have been more wrong. They have upped the quality of the rooms, furnishings etc and given the hotel a new, more modern and very fresh look without killing any of its charm. The staff were right on the button. No fawning, just really good, friendly and efficient service. Food, in Les Faunes, the gourmet restaurant was superb. The dining room was fine but Villa Cipriani (the trattoria) has slipped a little - the atmosphere seemed tense and the food not quite what it was (we last ate there in 2005 and it was our favourite) Reids is not cheap but this is a hotel right at the top of its game."

• Travel date: 23rd January 2008

Excellent Hotel and Service

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"The whole experience from check-in to departure was faultless. Suite with three balconies was well presented and luxurious. Room service and the service from the waiting staff in the main Restaurant and the Poolside Restaurant were amongst the best I have encountered anywhere."

• Travel date: 21st January 2008

Bit of a let down

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"My wife has wanted to go to this hotel for years so when I came into a litle bit of money I thought I would treat her! The hotel is full of old world charm, the service is fantastic, the rooms were adequate, but not quite up to what we were expecting, but the biggest disapointment was the food. Breakfast was fine as was the lunch but the dinners were a big let down. We were expecting something special but found the meals to be just nice, even when paying extra for the even more upmarket restaurants either in the hotel or just next door. Not once did we say to ourselves "that was fantastic, I could eat that again!" We are used to four or five star hotels and can honestly say I have eaten better meals in many of the hotels we have been to. I feel the hotel is relying on its history to sell itself, but it needs to do more to warrant the extra cost. I could not fault the service, the pool area and pools were lovely but the rooms and food were a let down for us."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2008

My wife wanted to go to this hotel for a...

Reviewed 3rd January 2008

"My wife wanted to go to this hotel for a long time so when I came into a little money I decided to treat her! The hotel depends on its history to sell its rooms for the rather large price tag. For us we have to say it was a bit of a letdown. The service was excellent; the rooms were like faded grandeur. It was the food which we were really looking forward to, but this was our biggest disappointment. Although nice it was not outstanding and not up to the level we were expecting. We have been to a five star hotel in Malta whose food was much better. One evening we paid more to go to the outside restaurant and again we were let down. Don't get me wrong, the food was nice, but that all, not one meal did we say we would love to eat that again. The pools were nice and warm, very important for me (I hate cold pools!) and you are waited on completely, I nearly expected the pool attendants to dry me! The hotel is set in some lovely grounds and rooms have a good view over the harbour and sea. If the hotel is above your normal budget then I would say look elsewhere for your holiday treat, otherwise do go if you like to be looked after and enjoy the charm of the hotel. "

• Travel date: 3rd January 2008

Loved Reid's !

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We absolutely loved Reid's! We booked our honeymoon there and I was a bit nervous considering some of the reviews. However, I really think that the type of traveler you are will determine whether you will like Reid's. It is definitely an old-world charmer and no, everything is not new .... However, the service, the views, the food, the pool, and the history cannot be beat in Funchal! We want to come back soon!"

• Travel date: 24th December 2007

nothing special

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"I had expected something awesome, but it wasn't , so I was disappointed. Very average hotel and rather dated & stuffy & not the sumptuous palace I had expected. The cruise ships were in and coach parties arrived in crocodile for afternoon tea. Unfortunately the dress code for this had lapsed from what I was lead to expect - I saw many 'gentlemen' in shortsleeves, tieless, casual trousers, sandals & even jeans! This meant that those who had dressed to requirement looked decidedly overdressed. A fair hilly walk in & out Funchal, not for the faint hearted."

• Travel date: 11th December 2007

Hotels near Belmond Reid's Palace

Top traveller tips for Belmond Reid's Palace

• by A. Kirby-Welch

"Enjoy the dining experience, try the dinner dance."

Belmond Reid's Palace is also called

• Reid's Palace Hotel
  • reids palace funchal
  • reids palace hotel funchal