A second home

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"This was our second visit to the same hotel after having had such a good experience 2 years ago. We booked it (as well as the flights) this time ourselves, as well as a car (very reasonably and worth doing) from the agent that answers when you write to the hotel contact e-mail. The booking service was clear and helpful, we were met at airport arrivals with the carkeys and dropping off at the end was so easy. Calheta is a quiet place and the kids 3, 14 and 15 were perfectly happy. The staff are very freindly and helpful, also the cleaners, who were very understanding of the kids' chaos. They even did the washing up in our kitchenette.
Our apartment was in the back building, across the road from the main hotel, very handily over a big shop -we asked for this same one again as it was perfect for out needs.
The breakfast was just grand -watch out for the pensioners who go for breakfast earlier hoarding the mini-bananas. There could have been more kids and less adults for our liking, and some intolerant element did grouch from their balcony when own little girl had a little tantrum in the back, oh yeah and some Germans tended to dominate the sauna and I was amused at hearing them tell a couple of Finns (from where the sauna originates) that they were doing in wrongly.
Calheta is a great base from which to see more of the island, too."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of March 2008

Lovely Hotel

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

""Lovely Hotel" we stayed here for 5 nights. We were given a room with a sea view, although when we booked we paid for land view, glad we got a sea view as there was a mountain view the other side. The Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay, entertainment was'nt up to much, but at this time of year we were not expecting alot. Buffet breakfast and dinner was an excellent choice we could'nt fault it. We did try the Al a Carte but were very dissappointed definately not good food. There were a couple of restaurants at the marina and just around the corner, excellent food!! expecially the Medera Restaurant and they were very reasonably priced. Overall the standard of this 4 star hotel was 5 star in my opinion and I have travelled all over europe, well worth a visit. The only downside is you do need a car if you want to see the rest of the Island, but if it is relaxation you need, then this is the hotel for you."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of February 2008

Good hotel, location could be better....

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Firstly let me say this is a good hotel, particularly when I only paid £315 for 1 week B&B through Thomson's website. Being pedantic I would say it's a 3 star plus rather than a good 4 star. Rooms are average size and most have sea views. First tip, I emailed the hotel before I arrived and requested a sea view room rather than paying the extra £100 through Thomson’s for the luxury. They obliged and put a bottle of champagne in the room as I told them I was taking my partner away to ask her to marry me. Second tip, taxi from Funchal was 70 Euro, yet after asking around I found a taxi driver happy to take us back for 55 Euro. Breakfast was ok, a wide selection of hot and cold food. Pool area is great with lots of sun beds.

Now here's the 'but'. Calheta is a very small fishing port and without a hire car you are VERY limited for choice of restaurants and bars. Therefore, the location could be better, unless of course you like being confined to the hotel. Third tip, there's a bar on the marina called 'Madera' that is very relaxed and serves good food. I hate to use the word 'trendy' but it is a cool place to unwind. The best fish restaurant is out the hotel turn right and 100 yards on the left. The tuna salad is fantastic. Avoid the pizza place on the marina. Fourth tip, get a taxi to 'Restaurante Convento Das Vinhas'. This is in Calheta and up a MASSIVE hill so a taxi is recommended (5 Euro), ask the hotel to book it and request a table overlooking the bay, beautiful.

Overall the holiday was great, but next time I’ll be going to Funchal. For those who haven’t been to Madeira it’s a lovely place, highly recommended."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

My husband booked this on a whim, he was...

Reviewed Wed 8th of August 2007

"My husband booked this on a whim, he was really bored, and it was a cheap offer.

We had never been to Madeira before and had no idea how far the Hotel was from the airport, we also didn't realise that there was little to do in Calheta itself, hence no hire car at the airport! We got a taxi from the airport, cost €70! John nearly had a heart attack!

Anyway, the hotel is fantastic, beautiful rooms, lovely pool, although a little cold in February.

The breakfast was a buffet, mostly catering to the Dutch and German guests but with a nice line in bacon and eggs as well. We got into the habit of getting a couple of rolls and some cooked meat slices for lunch too.

We did hire a car, after the first day when we walked miles, all up-hill! And woke up the next day unable to walk! Very steep hills! So we hired a smart car €13 a day, our first experience of the little bumper car! (Nothing to do with holidays, but we've now bought a smart car for over here, because we loved driving it so much over there!) Anyway have car, will travel, and we went everywhere on the island.

We picked up leaflet about the various bus tours and followed the maps so we saw everything that the tour buses saw but more so, we stopped at one point and there was a guy selling fruit and he let us try all these weird and wonderful things, some of which we even bought.

We loved the island but a week is definitely enough, we saw the mountain tops and the depths of the caves and we loved it all but after that there's not much to do.

Don't be put off, it really is a beautiful island, and if you stay in Funchal, the capital city, I think there will be a lot more to do. Enjoy, fionat."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of August 2007

Great for a relaxing holiday

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"This is a really nice spot in Madeira, located directly on the only sand beach of the island. Our room was very nice and clean, overlooking the sea. Great, friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere. The treatments available at the hotel are also excellent. Although some activities/excursions are organised by the hotel, you do need a car if you want to get around a bit more. The only thing to improve is the buffet food at the hotel, mainly in terms of variety. But there are a few other restaurants around, enough for a week´s stay. We´ll come back!!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of April 2007

Calheta Beach Feb 2007

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Calheta Beach for three nights during a week-long visit to Madeira from 12th Feb to 19th Feb 2007. We had booked a room with balcony but were given a small room facing onto the street without a balcony. I went straight back to reception and was given a key to a different room - unfortunately although this room did have a balcony and was larger, it also faced onto the street and there were roadworks from early morning until early evening so we couldn't even have the door to the balcony open during the day. This more or less ruined our trip as the sea views are so tremendous that the difference between getting a room with a sea view and getting one without - is just huge. The food was OK. Vegetables were often boiled for too long though - mushy brussel sprouts is just not our idea of a good veg! On Valentine's day each lady was presented with a red rose and we all got a glass of sparkling wine - which was a nice gesture! Most of the guests during our stay were German pensioners who tended to take over the whole place and who always went the wrong way at the buffet."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of February 2007

A Great Location for Christmas / New Year

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"Calheta Beach seems to be about the only beach on the island. It is also located very close to Ponta Sol, which is reckoned to be the suniest place.
The hotel is of a good standard. It is clean and the staff are friendly. We chose one of the apartment rooms that had a sea view. The apartment was ideal for my wife and I and two children (aged 12 and 1 1/2). There was a supermarket opposite the hotel, which was great as we took half board for three nights and the rest B&B. Prices in Madiera were about half of the Uk, so we created some great lunches and suppers! (Olive oil, fresh island produce tomatos, bananas etc etc)
If you are going for Christmas, the Gala dinner was on Christmas Eve and there is a compulsory Gala dinner on New Years Eve. We went to this and then there is free transport to Funchal to watch the spectacular fireworks.
I would recommend the hotel for families, due to the beach and it is a good base to explore the island. We may be back next Christmas."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of January 2007

Honest thoughts

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"My 10 year old son and I have just returned from a week at the 4 * Calheta Beach Hotel on Madeira. Going anywhere other than the Tropics in December is risky but we were lucky with the weather and our choice of hotel.
I think this was a genuine rating, for the hotel was spotless, the staff mostly friendly and helpful, the food pretty varied, even for my difficult - to - please son and the facilities as described on their website. Our bedroom was big, clean and comfortable and the maids cleaned every day with a smile.
Any negatives I make are concerned with the shortage of children of similar age and the rather isolated location of the hotel.
We stayed on B&B basis but there were few alternatives to eating in the hotel restaurant in the evening. Given its geography I think the hotel should consider offering more trips out. We went on two and would have done more if they had been available.
Probably in the summer things will be busier for there is an excellent marina next door.
I would recommend Calheta Beach to those who are looking for quiet winter holidays in the sun with not too much night life and no children."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of December 2006

Nice hotel

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"The Calhetta Beach is a nice hotel. It's in a nice location. The rooms are large, clean, modern and the sea views are spectacular. The Bathrooms are nice, large and clean. The buffet breakfast is excellent and the waitressing staff are friendly and polite. In fact, everyone at the hotel was very nice, polite and friendly. I would recommend that unless you're not intending to spend all your time doing nothing, then a car is essential. Calhetta Beach is quite out of the way. There's little to do in the village itself. Madeira being a small island has so much to offer just a short drive away."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of April 2006

A very nice hotel in a lovely setting

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We spent 3 days here in November 2004. It is a lovely hotel in a very nice setting.
There is a man made beach in front of the hotel and a small marina at the side.
Rooms were very good and food excellent. We particularly enjoyed the pizzeria which is attached to the hotel.
There was a little entertainment which was very classy. But as we were only there 3 days obviously didn't see it all.
Lovely pool area with plenty of sun loungers overlooking the sea."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of March 2006

loved the hotel and most of all, the kind hearted people that work there

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I spent two weeks at this hotel and I have to say that in everyway it is the best one for me,out of many.and its staff is the most kindhearted and the most helpful that i have met.best reagards.(Iceland)"

• Travel date: Mon 20th of March 2006