Guest room

Sofitel Lisboa is excellent

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"Excellent hotel, very clean room, the bed was very comfortable and the location was excellent. The service in the hotel was also great. You can use the business center 24 hours to access internet and it's free. I did not try the breakfast, since there were many breakfast cafes close to the hotel with delicious pastries. There is an excellent restaurant called Sancho if you just walk down the street and take a side road. We loved it so much that we ate there three times. Try the grilled sea bass, they show you the fish that they will cook for you, and the desserts are outstanding. Service is also impeccable."

• Travel date: 8th September 2006

LOVED THIS HOTEL although may pass on breakfast

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We booked this for our last night in Portugal based on tripadvisor reviews. We booked very last minute for our trip so decided to say $50/night and stayed at the Le Meridien for our 1st 2 nights in Lisbon/Portugal. I may have thought harder about spending a little extra to stay at Sofitel or tried to book farther in advance to get almost same price. The staff was excellent and so very helpful without having to be asked. The doorman provided us with a guide book and map while we were getting checked in. We may have enjoyed our first few days a teeny bit more if we had gotten this on our first few days in Lisbon. The rooms are great. The bed is HEAVENLY! It was also the first place that finally gave us a queen/king size bed instead of 2 twins despite our booking deluxes (although I guess we didn't ask to confirm during check in at the other places since we just assumed). The showers are awesome with the dual movable showerhead and rainfall showerhead. The bathrobes looked very very comfy although we didn't use them. We came to miss this when we moved on to our hotel in the Azores. There was a nice, spacious balcony that we didn't get to enjoy because we were only there for one night. Not much of a view but nice and spacy and quiet. Rooms and elevators are a little bit smaller than the Meridien but the wondeful bed makes up for it. The location is great. It is just a few blocks from the downtown and restaurants and shops. The breakfast is ok. The eggs are part of the buffet but they are not out with the rest of the food and must be requested although they are included with the buffet charge. No toasters avail either - think you need to request toast as well. As mentioned in other reviews, the TV is a flat screen but only a few english speaking channels (mainly news). It has a large number of german speaking channels though - I had fun trying to refresh my german from 15years ago but did miss having more regular english speaking tv with shows."

• Travel date: 2nd September 2006

Strongly recommended!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Made my reservation at the Sofitel Lisboa basing on Tripadvisor comments and I was not disappointed. Rooms very nice & very clean. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Location optimal for visiting the city. Very good breakfast. And all at a very decent price (138euros/night w/ breakfast). I would definitely go there again! The hotel restaurant looked nice, but I didn't try it. Looking back I should have, since I was not excited by my dining experiences in Lisbon."

• Travel date: 24th July 2006

Simply the best

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"If there is a better hotel chain at a reasonable price in the world, please let me know. I love Sofitels! I paid 137 euros for this hotel and I consider that a steal! This particular Sofitel is located in the business section of Lisbon, a short walk to Chiado and a climb to the Barro Alto. Unfortunately for my wife and I, the Gloria funicular to the Barro Alto was not working and Lisbon was experiencing a heat wave. Thus, the climb to the Barro Alro was excrutiating. However, every time we returned to the Sofitel, it was like finding an oasis in the desert. The lobby is very chic and the front desk staff charming and helpful with a knowledgable concierge on duty. He made excellent restaurant reservations for us and provided sage advice. The room, while not over large, was a good size with plush, modern furnishings in a sumptious style. The bed was oh so comfortable. The air-conditioning worked extremely well which was very important during this heat wave in Lisbon. There was ample storage, great lighting, and comfortable seating. The bathroom continued the sumptious theme with great water pressure, ample storage, wonderful French toiletries, and a bunch of thick, soft towels in a variety of sizes. Because of the heat, we were showering twice a day, and the "turn down" service replaced the towels every morning and evening. Wow! The hotel rewarded us on registering with free drink vouchers, and we spent a couple of hours at the cute bar talking to the bartender getting suggestions as to what to do and where to go in Lisbon. The hotel's restaurant is considered one of the most chic in Lisbon. We used room service one night, and it was delicious and arrived very fast. We had a simply wonderful experience at this Sofitel, and we will consider Sofitel hotels whenever we travel. I have never been disappointed at a Sofitel."

• Travel date: 21st July 2006

Excellent Staff Great Rooms

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Stayed here on business and used the hotel conference facilities. This is a really great hotel. The staff are friendly and the rooms are well equipped and the beds are very comfortable. The conference facilities are excellent and the conference staff couldn't of been more helpful. We rate this hotel higher than Hiltons, Meridiens and Radissons!"

• Travel date: 3rd July 2006

Great hotel, terrific staff

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"For me, it's true that the people make all the difference, and I could not have wished for nicer people at the Sofitel Lisboa. I stayed here for 5 nights earlier this month when I was unable to get reservations at a different hotel. Talk about blessings in disguise! The price shown in the TripAdvisor listings must be worse case, because it cost me almost half through the link to hotels.com. The service was definitely 5 stars, and Bruno (at the door) and Carlos (at the desk) deserve special mention. This was my first trip to a country where the only words I knew were "hello” and "thank you," and although I had always wanted to see Lisbon, I wasn't sure what to expect. They patiently listened to and answered all my questions in English, and other than my own chagrin at not knowing more of the language, I never felt awkward or uncomfortable. Their recommendations were excellent. They were friendly, efficient, attentive, and helpful. It made my first visit to Lisbon wonderful. My beautiful hotel room was more than adequate--clean, very comfortable, and the decor was flawless (besides, I was rarely in it). The bathroom was terrific with a great shower and all the amenities. The flowers looked so real that I added water to the vase. I had only 2 "issues." The air-conditioning in my room needed a boost on the second day, but when I asked about it, it was taken care of promptly. Likewise, using their Internet kiosk (which is definitely not user-friendly) turned out to be more of a hassle than it was worth. After trying it, I gave up, and they promptly refunded my money. Save yourself the bother by walking next door to the LA CAFE. Upstairs you can sit at an immaculate counter near the bar where there are 2 stations, order a coffee (or make any other purchase), and use their computer. (In general, in Lisbon, the few internet cafes I found were expensive and did not always have reliable computers.) The Sofitel is on Avenida da Liberdade--lots of trees, quiet at night, an easy 15 minute walk into the centre, and across the street from the Avenida metro stop (probably the quietest metro stop I've ever seen). A taxi from the airport cost approximately E$16. If you're interested in a city tour, you can get picked up at the hotel. The only time I had breakfast there was on the day I left--excellent fresh fruit, salmon, veggies, toast, but there was much more available. I didn't have a chance to try out the restaurant. If you sleep in after a busy night, choose something at the bar in the lobby. I happily repeated the dish that was bread, tomato, ham, pesto, and fresh mozzarella--sort of an open-faced sandwich. Mmmmm. And, they make the orange juice fresh. This hotel is recommended without hesitation--two thumbs up!"

• Travel date: 23rd June 2006

Contemporary luxury

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"This is a beautiful hotel, and only the previous reviewer who used the word "Wow", has probably done it justice. It would be a shame to spoil the impact by even trying to describe it, so suffice it to say that attention is paid to every detail. In a city where beautiful old buildings and palace hotels are the competion, this contemporary hotel more than holds it's own. The staff were very pleasant, courteous, and very professional, a few being a little easier with a smile (particularly, the room staff, and the doormen) than others. Our only petty pick, was the lack of tea/coffee making facility and an iron in the room. The breakfast was an attractively set buffet, with a hot breakfast cooked on request. We did not try the restaurant during our stay and can only comment that it looks very good. We were too busy trying other establishments. We can especially recommend a tapas/ bistro just 2 mins away (turn right at door, take first right and it is just on the right handside). It seemed to be very popular with locals, business men and couples. We noticed that in many restaurants, it seems to be practice to lay out Tapas, bread etc and add this to the bill as a sort of cover charge, without warning (can be as much as 1.50 Euro an item) but it is always very, very tasty. Just allow another £4 per table and enjoy. The hotel location is perfect. A reasonable taxi ride, or an easy 3 euro aerobus (every 20mins) which takes from 15mins dependent on traffic, from the airport and stops 1min down the road. The metro is 5mins walk away, as is the main square, the Tagus ferry 20mins. The Caso Sodrais station for Estoril, and Cascais is 15- 20 mins walk. A 25min ride to Cascais cost 3 euro return and is well worth the trip. Unfortunately non- aggressive beggars are every where and any stranger offering help is more than likely to ask for money. We got caught at the station, but since everything is translated into English, plus there is a ticket office, it is very easy to work out for oneself. We had a fantastic weekend, with a wonderfully relaxing hotel, and a superb location. Transport is cheap, the food is excellent, and tourist attractions either free or very, reasonable. There is something for every budget, and for that bit of luxury The Sofitel is highly recommended."

• Travel date: 23rd May 2006

Great place to rest. Beautiful.

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Stayed only fr a night for business travel, but the experience was unbeatable. The quality is excellent and the price lower than others around. Very much recommended."

• Travel date: 20th May 2006

Fantastic Sofitel Lisbon

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"My first impressions of the hotel was excellent and remained that way until the end of my stay. The staff were efficient and curtious at all times. The room we had was fantastic and very well designed with a huge and comfortable bed and a large flat screen television with some English/US channels and a very well appointed bathroom. Our stay included breakfast which was excellent if you like continental style, but the fried breakfast was,well, bad is the only way to discribe it. Scrambled egg which were obviously made from reconstituted eggs which were very loose, the sausages were of a German variety which I would not eat at breakfast time, the bacon was OK if a bit thin, but the worst breakfast error was garlic mushrooms, yes I did say Garlic, what could the chef have been thinking off. Come on, how about some fried eggs, proper sausages, bacon and mushrooms fried in butter and the Sofitel could even be 5 Star. I would definitely go back even if the chef has not read my comments."

• Travel date: 28th March 2006

Woow! THE place to stay in Lisbon

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"I travel quite often to Lisbon on business and have stayed at a few hotels in this lovely town ranging from nice to not so nice. My company recently added the Sofitel to their list of preferred hotels and ……..WOow !!! This is without a doubt the best hotel in town – centrally located, fabulous friendly staff (especially the Carlos the concierge), and the design of the entire hotel is stunning – the restaurant is a must for Dinner. I could not believe this was a 4 star hotel since it is light years better than some 5 stars I have stayed in Lisbon. The rooms are well appointed, on the small side, but then who needs space when you are sleeping in the most comfortable bed ever watching a show on a huge flat screen TV and in the morning you get to wake up with an invigorating “tropical shower” in one of the most well put together bathrooms I have ever seen, plus their bath amenities smell and feel great. Need to thank my company for adding Sofitel Lisbon to our list of prefered hotels. O.K. – So I’m impressed!!!"

• Travel date: 25th January 2006