General View

Good

Good without football everydays ...

Reviewed 7th March 2013

"I Just returned from a business stay. Great staff, big and cute rooms. Don´t have restaurant for dinner, only one gourmet high level or sushi. Great bar with piano strangely playing with football match on TV. Evereday you have a different pianist and evereday you have football match on TV. Good hotel, i will return with family, hope without football match on TV because we love piano..."

• Travel date: 6th March 2013

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"we loved the hotel, and the website could not even match the feeling you get when you walk through the doors!!!!!!!!!! My son chose this hotel for his 12th birthday on line, and we were so thrilled with the cascais miragem. The people at the service desk were so friendly and helpful. The rooms were beautiful , i wanted to bring the bathroom back home with us. The view of the beach was gorgeous. the pool was nice...but a little chilly. We had a urge for a pastry from belem and the chef made it without any hesitation . we would definitely return next year. P.S. my son even wanted a certain movie, and they showed up with a dvd and movies for him. Wonderful group of people work here...nicest in Europe"

• Travel date: 13th July 2007

Beware of the demolition work next door!

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"We originally wanted to stay in the Albatross (definately the best hotel in town) but it was fully booked and went for what we thought was second best - The Miragem. Having read a few of the previous reviews they all fail to point out the tower block next door that is currently being demolished! Beware if you stay in the hotel during the week because you will be interupted by drilling and clouds of dust. The hotel pictures tell a lie - they show green fields around the hotel - this is completely wrong. An ugly tower stands exactly next door! This hotel is not five star - its a quality four star and more suited to conference travellers than people seeking luxury and comfort. We opted for the 'luxury' rooms which were fine with wonderful sea views and great bathrooms but nothing particulary extra special. And thats the problem with this hotel - it has little charm, you feel you're in a conference hotel. Postives: * Great sea views but only if you pay * Cool bathrooms * Breakfast - ok but could try a bit harder * Good spa - but on the pricey side Negatives: * If you want to use the gym you have to go next door and pay * A bit of a walk into town * MAJOR BUILDING WORK NEXT DOOR * A very busy road infront of the hotel There are plenty of hotels to choose from so I would opt to go else where on my next visit."

• Travel date: 13th June 2007

Stunning Hotel

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"What a beautiful hotel this is! I only wished as soon as I got there that I was both staying longer and that I was there for a vacation rather than the work conference that I as attending. It seemed almost criminal not to be on holiday here. The hotel is big with a large open and dramatic lobby area that soars up high, with large glass staircase and glass sided lifts. It is bright and airy and despite the scale of the lobby it is still welcoming as it has small seating areas dotted around it. The bedrooms are also huge. Really huge in fact. Although they are not especially luxurious and overly expensively furnished they have a cooling and impressive feel with lots of cupboard space, good sized desk and flat screen TV. The bathroom was really good as it is large with marble, rich looking accessories and large shower and bath. It felt kind of "Hollywood"! There is a stunning pool on one of the upper levels and as the rooms have balconies you cans it out overlooking the pool and the bay. The bay is the other side of a main road in front of the hotel. There are surprisingly few options on places to eat in the hotel but the breakfast and lunch buffets were especially generous and good. The hotel staff are efficient and friendly and add to the overall welcoming effect of the hotel. The conference rooms are also massive and so I assume the hotel, despite its very vacation feel must host many large conferences and I suspect this may be what accounts for a lot of the out-of-season trade at the hotel as the sorts of rates we were paying for the quality of the hotel were fantastic. They would not be that in summer. I would like to go back through as a tourist. the area the hotel is in is beautiful and the bay and surrounding town looks just as intriguing."

• Travel date: 1st June 2007

Nice Hotel with some flaws

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel twice, in July and August 2006, both 1 week stays and am bemused to say the least by the 2 most recent reviews on this site. Don't get me wrong, this is quite a nice hotel, with some of the public areas quite luxuriously and very tastefully decorated. We booked a Superior room each time; the one in July, in our opinion was pretty basic, the one in August, better but not what you might call beautiful. The quality of service varied enorormously although most staff were pleasant and helpful. The lunch menu is pricey, but that is invariably the case in 4/5 star hotels, and the service is slow. Getting tea/coffee at breakfast required some persistence, but the quality of the food was higher than average, good but not exceptional. This is a big hotel, however it has a pretty small pool and terrace, therefore it became very crowded most days and there were times when either we or other guests could not find beds; some resorted to sitting on the grass. The biggest drawback is probably the location; although the hotel overlooks the sea, there is a very busy dual carraigeway between it and the beach. There is a (creepy)subway to the beach a short walk from the hotel; which requires walking past the now derelict and unattractive Casino, which is also very visible from the pool area. I did consider writing a review at the time, however had second thoughts when I received an email from the Hotel when I got home, asking for my comments and if we were entirely happy so I replied with my views, with a query about whether we had really got a superior room the first time we stayed as it was so definitely inferior to our second room. I received no response and can only conclude that the Hotel did this as routine to offset any possible negative review that visitors might post on sites like tripadvisor. This is not a bad hotel, and was reasonably good value for money, however it is not a great hotel, with room for improvement although they unfortunately can do nothing about the location. I would visit the hotel again, but with somewhat lowered expectations."

• Travel date: 29th March 2007

The perfect wedding night

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"We booked the honeymoon package and stayed here on our wedding night. It was spectacular. Artificial rose petals spread on the bed and floor, a bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate dipped strawberries greeted us in the room when we arrived. We ordered room service breakfast which they promise to deliver within 5 minutes of the specified time and we weren't disappointed. You can also take buffet breakfast by the pool which includes a massive choice. The view was outstanding both from our room and the public areas of the hotel. The staff were excellent too. We'll probably stay here on our first anniversary. Even though we only live 15 minutes walk away ;-)"

• Travel date: 13th November 2006

Really nice Hotel

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We stayed in this hotel in the last week of September 2006 for 5 days staying in one of their 'superior' rooms. We thought the quality of the hotel and the attention to detail superb (I have never seen the hotel initials written into the sand in the ashtrays before!). On arrival we received a hand written note from the manager welcoming us and most nights there was a 'treat' left in our room, a selection of teas and sweets or a small bottle of port etc. The facilities were good and the staff were very courteous and friendly. The hotel is pricey for food and drink however, but you get what you pay for. It might have been the time of year but the hotel was quite quiet with not much life- but this left plenty of room around the pool. There were business conferences being held in the hotel during our stay but they were not intrusive. On leaving my wife left a cardigan behind. One quick phone call and a few days later the item arrived on our doorstep in Ireland free of charge. Overall I recommend this hotel strongly and we will certainly will be back."

• Travel date: 11th October 2006

Magnificent luxury hotel

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"From the moment you drive into the marble foyer and a bellman opens the car door and gets your luggage out of the car you know you are in a 5 star hotel , the reception area is huge and and full of modern furniture and settees and upmarket shops , this is the real deal . The hotel is is full of art work / modern furniture and even the internal glass lifts have flat TV's , Sea view rooms are spacious and the bathrooms fantastic , views from the very large balcony over the pool area to the sea are magnificent . Beware however the rooms at the back are small and have no balcony or view , we booked a standard room at an internet rate which guaranteed us an upgrade if available, we were not happy with the rear facing room so requested our upgrade , reception said ok for another 40 Euros , after a firm discussion the reception relented and we got our free upgrade . To be honest the hotel is if anything too upmarket for the Cascais holiday market and one suspects it is aimed at the business /corperate market , we were there in September and although the hotel was full we were the only people around the pool (great pool area ) for 3 days (one suspects in Jul/Aug you would see more people on vacation) , the hotel was full of suits on conferences but this did not bother us . The one critism is in order to get across the road (and railway line) to the sea and promonade youhave to turn left or right for 5 mins and go thru very unpleasant underpasses covered in graffitti , given the millions that were spent on the hotel one wonder why they did not bulid there own underpass direct from the hotel . Turn left for 15 mins along the prom and you wll find the Tamariz restarant which was very good , in Cascais we eat in the Luzmar which was also very good . Food in the hotel was expensive , a lunch time spag bol was 16 Euros ,. That said we were very impressed with the hotel"

• Travel date: 22nd September 2006

One of the best

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I've stayed in this hotel twice. First on business and was so impressed I returned for a holiday. Absolutely top class hotel all the way. Service is 5 star without being overbearing, hotel is stunning with equally stunning views of the Cascais bay. Beach is a 5 min walk away, and the centre of Cascais is 10 mins. The train station is also a 5 min walk and takes you into Lisbon in 30 mins for €1.50. The breakfast buffet is the best I've ever experienced. Obviously being 5-star its pretty pricey but the promotional rate on their website isn't too bad at €160 per room per night (including breakfast) which you'd easily pay for a much lesser hotel here at home. Cascais itself is a lovely fishing town/village that has become one of the more popular places to live among the young and affluent in Lisbon. English is widely spoken yet it is not overly touristy. There is a shopping centre and lots of nice restaurants I particularly liked the Casa Venhla and unlike the previous reviewer found the staff friendly."

• Travel date: 19th August 2006

5 star standard all the way - Superb

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"We stayed at this fantastic hotel for 4 nights and we just loved the hotel and its superb location overlooking the bay of Cascais. The staff are so professional and helpful at all times - you will want for nothing at this luxury hotel. The rooms are well appointed and the sea view rooms are amazing. I cannot recommend it enough !! So get booking ! The beach is only across the road and we experienced no noise at all from the road and the train that goes to Lisbon as the hotel is set away from the road, so noise is minimal. We ate at the Hotel Albatroz which was superb a beautiful restaurant and reasonably priced. I would also recommend Cafe Italia for fine italian food and a lovely romatic setting. We ate at Casa Venhla but did not like this - the staff just wanted to get you in and out there was no atmosphere at all - there are far nicer places to dine in the area. Cascais is a beautiful classy place not too touristy- a must is a visit to Sintra to see the beautiful castle. You can take the bus from Cascais to Sintra. Drinks in the bar in the hotel are expensive this is the norm in every 5 star hotel so bear this in mind. The buffet breakfast is superb - you will be spoiled for choice. This hotel well deserves its 5 stars and we look forward to returning in the near future to the hotel and beautiful Cascais."

• Travel date: 13th August 2006

Great Hotel

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Just returned from a brief stay, bowled over by the Miragem and will return for a longer stay. Great staff, lovely rooms, fabulous pool. Only drawback, you're on a busy main road and close to a railway track, but the pool area is elevated and you can see neither from it. The beach is a 20min hike up the road and through a tunnel."

• Travel date: 25th July 2006