Exterior

• french amenities
  • massage
  • telephone
  • german amenities
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • spanish amenities
  • desk
  • portuguese amenities
  • valet parking amenities

Not a 5* - hardly deserves any stars

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Based on the hotel's official rating and its Top Ten position in the review section we booked 3 nights in a superior room in the Avenida Palace. What a mistake...! This hotel is old and tired, even the staff do not live up to the standard I would expect from a 5* hotel. We were initially delighted with its excellent location until we discovered that insulation/ double glazing is inadequate and you can hear and feel (metro trains) the traffic in the rooms. Through no fault of the hotel we changed rooms three times on arrival and got to see a variety of rooms. Junior suites are furnished quite nicely but the superior room we stayed in (furthest from traffic noise!) was just awful! The furniture is old, not antique, and tired. The bed was not even a decent double bed size, the carpets were dirty and worn. Info material in the rooms is equally worn and dirty. The bathroom was very clean, unfortunately the toilet did not work and became blocked ... not something I would expect! Breakfast was ok but staff were narky and unfriendly... We must not have been the first to leave so suddenly and somewhat suprisingly nobody even cared why we were unhappy with the hotel ... The Avenida is living on a reputation from bygone years and needs a serious overhaul in terms of standards, rooms and personnel... We spend the remaining two nights of our stay in the Sofitel on Av. Libertade which was excellent. 5* facilities, clean rooms and charming staff who go out of their way to make you feel welcome ... Just what you would expect !"

• Travel date: 2nd December 2005

Great Hotel, Great Value

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"I loved this hotel. I stayed for two nights after a horrible sleepless night in the dumpy Residential Florescente. Luckily Avenida Palace had a room available and let me check in shortly after 9 AM! It's a grand old hotel in the style of the grand Victorian hotels in London (like Claridge's), although it's been updated a bit. It's not perfect, but for the price (135 EUR single, on a weekend) it's a gem. I did have a couple problems, both of which the staff was happy to address. The first problem was the first room they gave me - #105, a corner suite that was absolutley gorgeous. It had 4 floor-to-ceiling door/windows, and it was just marvellous, except for the vibrating bed. It seems the air conditioners were mounted just outside the bedroom and they vibrated the bed ever so slightly. I called down to the desk and they happily found me another room, but it had twin beds. Anything was better than the Florescente so I gladly took it. The next night I checked to see if any double beds were available, and I was in luck - something opened up on the second floor. The second floor room was nice, but a bit loud as it was nearer to the busy area on the street. Overally though, it was quite fine. The only other issue was the pillows - the were horrible and not at all what I would expect from a hote which gives itself 5-stars. However the other furnishings, the overall appearance and detail of the hotel, and the attentiveness and downright friendliness of all the staff are definitely all first class. If you stay, my recommendations are to ask for a room above the 2nd floor, and on the North side of the hotel. The South side is closer to a narrow busy section of a busy street outside and seemed louder. All in all, this hotel is a gem and a bargain for the price."

• Travel date: 21st July 2005

Wonderful old hotel

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"All hotels should look and feel this good. Well situated in downtown Lisbon so no car necessary. Quiet elegance, old world traditions and wonderful breakfasts. A true gem of a hotel."

• Travel date: 4th July 2005

Glad we were bumped

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"We originally had reservations at another Lisbon hotel, but they were booked so we were bumped to the Avenida Palace. Boy am I glad. The inside was beautiful and grand. We enjoyed the bar, a great place to end a day or start an evening. The breakfast was great, but the room gets crowded. I suggest having the meal sent to the room. The staff was very helpful and nice. The location perfect. Quick walk to anything you want. If we return to Lisbon we will stay here again. Only one complaint, the beds are very hard. If you like that great if not then you will need hot shower in the morning to loosen the muscles."

• Travel date: 4th June 2005

great place in heart of lisbon

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"<just spent 3 days here in march. The staff was wonderful, spoke good english, and saw to our every need. The room was comfortable, and quiet. ours overlooked the inner courtyard, no city view, but it was a lovely respite from the busy lisbon city. We had a wonderful tub in the room, and a sitting room separate from the bedroom. The breakfast was huge, even came with champagne. The room they serve it in was beautiful. <if you can afford it, stay here....it made our other hotels pale in comparisson."

• Travel date: 12th March 2005

Huge Room but....

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"My girlfriend and i stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend jaunt. The hotel itself is very central and easily located. The room we booked was a suite and it was very large and grand, although i found the furniture a bit too 19th centuary. My only gripe was that we weren't treated very well for a 5 star hotel, the reception staff seemed aloff (maybe because they didn't have any other mid 20's couple there!!!), can't say much about the breakfast because i never woke up in time. This place is great for telling other tourists your staying there, but if you expect the normal 5 star service found elsewhere you will be dispointed. Have a good holiday :)"

• Travel date: 3rd February 2005

Great old hotel in the heart of Lisbon

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"This well restored hotel makes you fell as though you have gone back in time. The decor is old and well kept. T The bar is small but makes you feel Big. The staff is very friendly. The better yet the hotel's location is perfect for your walking visit of Lisbon as it in the heart of the town. A short walk to the Metro and tram stops. Plenty to do here as there are many shops and restaurants within a couple minutes. If you like old school this is the place. We stayed here 2 days in mid December 2004 and would like to go back soon."

• Travel date: 5th January 2005

What a great hotel

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"I stayed at the Avenida Palace hotel for five nights in November, 2004. The hotel is great. You cannot beat the location. The public rooms are absolutely beautiful and the buffet breakfasts were very good. The room was more than adequate. But, question the bill at checkout. Mine was padded by over $40 of room-service. I never had room-service. By the actions of the clerk, I could tell that this was no mistake. As a result, I would not stay at this hotel again."

• Travel date: 20th November 2004

not 5 star

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"The hotel is quite old and definitely not 5 star to many criterias. Its very old fashioned and looks much better on the photos. The location is great. The rooms are nice, carpet needs good clean if they can't afford to change it. I would say the same about the furniture in the lobby area, light fittings etc. Hotel is not worth more than 100 euros per night for double"

• Travel date: 3rd November 2004

No Air conditioning

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"My husband and I stayed one night in the hotel in June during the soccer games. We were pleasantly surprized with the beauty of the hotel. It seemed warm when we arrived and we asked for help with t he air conditioner. Several people came to the room and adjusted the thermostat and still nothing happened. It was never fixed and the room was so hot we could not sleep. We asked for a discount when we checked out and were not given one. No one seemed to think it was a problem . I think the hotel is over priced for what it is. I would never stay there again."

• Travel date: 16th October 2004