Great holiday

Reviewed Wed 27th of July 2011

"Have just spent a week at the Vila Gale with my family and would recommend it. Hotel very clean and staff friendly. The food was excellent. Would definitely like to return.

• Travel date: Sun 24th of July 2011

Wow!

Reviewed Mon 18th of May 2009

"This has got to be one of the cleanest hotels I've ever been to - the maids work non-stop to keep the hotel and grounds clean. They attend to your room everyday (make the beds, change towels if necessary, empty bins etc).

It is in a lovely location, just a 2 minute walk to the marina (across the road literally). Most rooms have a view of the marina, although I would put in a request at time of booking for a good marina view. Some rooms on the lower floors probably can't see much - we were on the 6th floor and it was a lovely view. All the rooms have a pool view as they all face out the front.

We decided on bed and breakfast board which was perfect for us. There are plenty of places to eat around the marina (and lots of English choice) and we didn't think it was overly expensive. If you like Chinese I would recommend Harbour View Chinese Restaurant - we went there twice it was so good - and a lovely elevated position. Make sure you pick up one of their leaflets as you get your first drinks free! You will find lots of people handing out leaflets for the various outlets, most offer first drinks on the house.

There isn't a lot more I can say. It really was one of the best holidays I have ever been on, just a shame it went so quickly.

Oh just one tip, if you are planning on doing a lot of sightseeing it is probably worth hiring a car as the buses are quite expensive. It cost us about £14 to get to Albuferia and back which was about a 45 mins bus ride each way. Quartera is within walking distance, there is a market there every Wednesday which is apparently the biggest in the Algarve. Well worth a look.

• Travel date: Mon 18th of May 2009

We had previously stayed at the Dom Pedr...

Reviewed Sun 31st of August 2008

"We had previously stayed at the Dom Pedro Golf but decided this time to stay closer to the Marina and chose the Vila Gale Marina (and it was cheaper!). The hotel was lovely - clean, modern and the breakfast was great!. The pool is a little small but you could always get sun beds. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. This is a great location as it is literally a street away from the marina - as we had been before we new the location would suit us.
The marina is lovely and great for couples and families - there are some fantastic restuaurants (especially if you like seafood). I would say that anyone who goes to Vilamoura tries the Mayflower restaurant as the food is fantastic and there is a lovely bar called the Matador bar which is great for happy hour drinks.

A lovely relaxing holiday and a great hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

Spent 1 week at the Vila Gale Marina. Vi...

Reviewed Wed 16th of July 2008

"Spent 1 week at the Vila Gale Marina. Vilamoura is a lovely resort, with lots of great restaurants and little sign of it appealing to 'drunken yobs' who seem to be taking over so many other resorts. The hotel is clean and comfortable, but the reception staff need to be more welcoming. When I checked in the receptionist barely spoke to me and it was all she could do to tell me my room number. Every time I passed reception the staff there always looked uninterested.
The staff at breakfast were polite and efficient, the staff at the outside bar were friendly and the pool attendant did a great job at keeping everything clean and tidy, making sure that my sun umbrella was always in the right position as the sun moved. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels always provided. The was an aircon and small fridge in the room provided at no extra charge.
I was staying with my two boys aged 8 and 13. There is a small kids club for younger children and the entertainment staff did put on a few low key activities through the day for the kids, but seemed more interested in the Portugese children staying. When my youngest (who has special needs) hurt himself during an organised activity they simply ignored him. It was nothing serious, but I was annoyed that he had to come and find me alone and he was very distressed at being ignored.
In the evenings the hotel provided entertainment which was ok and the kids entertained themselves playing pool and table tennis, but I found it impossible to get served a drink sitting at a table in the bar area. Bar staff quickly approached couples and groups, but as a woman sitting alone I seemed to become invisible. I always had to go to the bar and ask to be served. The staff in local restaurants and cafes were always very attentive and welcoming of the children.
All in all I enjoyed my stay at the Vila Gale Marina and would consider going again despite the few minor grumbles. The kids certainly enjoyed it and want to go back. "

• Travel date: Wed 16th of July 2008

just recently back from this hotel and r...

Reviewed Sat 12th of July 2008

"just recently back from this hotel and really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere.
rooms are to a clean standard and reasonably comfortable, breakfasts are also good as they have a good english breakfast and also have wide variety of fruit, rolls, cereals and yoghurts. staff are also very friendly

p.s good lager"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of July 2008

We did expect more from the hotel. It w...

Reviewed Thu 3rd of July 2008

"We did expect more from the hotel. It was clean and good position, but staff lack advice and personality. Would have preferred an apartment hotel, looked at olympus and will book that next time.

Vilamoura is lovely resort, clean beaches, nice marina. The best place we were recommended to was a place called SHAKESPEARES which is under the olympus hotel. They have a great Elvis show on a tuesday and saturday, good prices all round for excellent food and drink-try the sunday roast. Worst place must have been RUI'S bar, we haven't been back to vilamoura for a long while, and RUI's bar has certainly had its best years, give it a miss. NIKKI BEACH has a lovely restaurant called LAKE-dont go on a windy night though-not cheap at about €40 a head, but good for a special night out. Dont venture far a night-time-the marina and outisde the Vila Gale and Olympus is ok, but 2 guests staying here were mugged near Dom Pedro golf hotel.

Would return though, as still one of the best relaxing times we've had"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of July 2008

I really loved Vilamoura and this hotel...

Reviewed Wed 13th of June 2007

"I really loved Vilamoura and this hotel and definitely would return here. The location is perfect only a 1 minute walk to the marina and just a few minutes from the beach.

The hotel was lovely. The room was a good standard and clean, loses 1 point just because the balcony was quite overlooked! The pool area was great.

Breakfast was nice and a good range of food. Staff where friendly and happy to help. Try Figos bar on the marina really nice spot, friendly staff and value for money.

• Travel date: Wed 13th of June 2007

Stayed at this hotel for two weeks in Ju...

Reviewed Tue 8th of May 2007

"Stayed at this hotel for two weeks in June 2006. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived, reception was well decorated and the staff were friendly.

We had a problem with the drains being blocked in out rooms, but this was sorted out without any fuss and we were moved within the hour.

Overall, we had an enjoyable holiday and would definitely return."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of May 2007

When we arrived we were greeted well by...

Reviewed Sun 3rd of September 2006

"When we arrived we were greeted well by reception staff. Room was very clean and well presented and remained so throughout the week. One bed was a camp bed when we expected three singles, but was comfortable enough.

Pool and surrounding area always kept clean and well presented. People still reserve sun loungers, even when it is against the rules! Bar staff are very friendly and service is quick and efficient. Breakfast is very good.

A wide range to choose from, with all needs well catered for. Staff are also fast to tidy tables. Fridge must be paid for (2.5 euros a day) when we felt it should be included.

Hotel is set in beautiful surroundings, with the marina a stones throw away and luxury boats all around. Many restaurants are around the marina, and are a great place to eat out. Most places are a bit on the expensive side.

Places just off the marina are slightly cheaper. Mini golf is not far away and kept to a very high standard. Also, Zoo Marine is a great day out with dolphin and sea lion shows for entertainment. Overall we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday and would definitely recommend the resort to all ranges of people.

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

When we arrived the hotel receptionist d...

Reviewed Sun 11th of June 2006

"When we arrived the hotel receptionist did not great us with a welcome it was "I need your passports and holiday confirmation."

We were directed to our room which was on the forth floor. Fortunately we paid for a sea view - granted it was limited but we got the sun (for free!). Rooms on the opposite side of the building do not get the sun. I was disappointed in the cleanliness of the room particularly the bathroom and balcony. The bathroom was not cleaned to a high standard and the balcony floor was never washed during our stay.

Our room was OK although badly laid out. There is a notice in the room requesting guests not to hang towels or any other items over the balcony. As usual you get people doing just that. This just downgrades the hotel in my mind. The staff should clamp down on this procedure. The bathroom has facilities for hanging washing etc so it is not necessary to hang towels etc over the balcony. There is also a notice asking you not to reserve sun loungers. What a laugh! You can watch people from early morning booking their lounger, leaving it for an hour or more. Before returning.

Staff should clamp down on this, it is not necessary as there is enough loungers for everyone. Apart from one receptionist the staff was very nice, even when we forgot to pay for our drinks the first night at the bar. "

• Travel date: Sun 11th of June 2006

A lucky lastminute purchase!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"The last time I went to Portugal I was 8, that's 20-something years ago. At that time, VIlamoura had all the touristic appeal of "Carry on Abroad" (that may mean more to the Brits on here rather than the rest of the world!).

I decided to grab a week away recently and with the aid of a last minute website I booked the Vile Gale Marina. Have to admit I was really, really pleased with the hotel and Vilamoura itself.

The hotel's clean and modern with the friendliest staff you could possibly hope for. I'm a regular Marriott stayer and have to admit that Vila Gale isn't far off that kind of Business class hotel but at half the cost.

The one thing I did notice is the continual cleaning and painting that goes on - and as a result it's a really pleasant place to spend your holiday. The pool area's nice (though in the height of summer it might be overrun) - but the beach is only a 5 minute walk away (and that's almost as clean as the hotel too - with lots of Blue flags waving away).

The buffet breakfast is great with plenty of choice and that goes for the restaurant too. The only slight complaint (have to try and find one!) is that the room service menu is a bit boring - lacking anything local (where were the sardines even!?)

Vilamoura itself is OK, but definately caters for the Brit abroad, lots of bars (albeit nice ones) and restaurants serving Egg and Chips but it's more of a family place than a Club 18-30.

Anyway, if I was going back, this would be one of the first choices, it gave me a really relaxing break."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of April 2006

Lovely relaxing break after a busy Christmas and New year working

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Having just returned from a week in Vilamoura, staying at this Vila Gale Hotel. We were very pleased with the hotel and surrroundings, both in our 20s we were looking for a quiet break as it was our first holiday abroad.
The hotel was clean, and always well stcoked and cared for.
We had a small balcony and overlooked the marina on the third floor.
Stayed bed and breakfast and the buffet style breakfast was excellent, the variety was perfect, and we only queued one day on the saturday morning.
There were alot of golfers staying at the hotel but had no nuisance from them.
The hotel staff were very polite and courteous
The evening menu we had a la carte one night and it was ok, but after decided we should've had the buffet dinner. The only downside was that the vegetarian optins seemed limited.
One thing missed was tea coffee making facilities in the room, after a day out it would've been nice to be abke to go upstairs and make a drink and relax, instead of sitting in the bar downstairs.
There was entertainment on every night, live groups, dancers to kareoke, someting for everyone
There was 2 small pools outside that looked tempting but it was a little cool to be swimming outside, and to go inside you are requested to wear a swim hat!
Chambermaid service was second to none, it's nice to have someone make your bed and give you fresh towels every day
We found a few places were closed over the new year period, but several places opened the last few days we were staying there,
the weather was about 14 - 20C varied from day to day, had one day of bad rain but overall summer clothes & shoes were worn all week, the portuguese were in winter coats and scarves though!"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Hotels near Vila Gale Marina

Top traveller tips for Vila Gale Marina

• Holidaymakers R Us by Holidaymakers R Us

"Lovely, clean, plenty of places to eat. "

• Holidaymakers R Us by Holidaymakers R Us

"Harbour View Chinese on the marina - a must!! "

Vila Gale Marina is also called