Good

Worst experience

Reviewed Thu 26th of May 2016

"I booked for 4 nights from 25th to 29th April 2016 through Booking.Com. I stated on the booking form that 'one guest is disabled'. Upon arrival approx 7.45pm, I paid the full amount due for the booking and was given the key to apartment number 812. The guy on reception (Ricardo?) told me there were 7/8 steps up to the apartment and the only other available apartment was next to the bar which was very noisy from 7am to 11pm each day. (We had already witnessed about 8 people shouting, arguing, pushing each other around and inviting each other to fight - outside the bar. Staff were threatening to call the police). When I reached apartment 812, I knew my daughter would not be able to manage the stairs, there were 17/18 steps with no hand rails. Following a stroke my daughter has very limited walking ability plus many more problems. When she saw the stairs, she broke down in tears and said 'no way'. I went back to reception, informed Ricardo? that my daughter couldn't manage the stairs. It was like talking to a brick wall, he was not sympathetic in any way. The reception area is quite small but was packed with people on the evening, all listening to my plight. I was humiliated, degraded and above all felt my daughter was being discriminated against because of her disability. He gave me my money back. I went back to my daughter and told her we had no where to stay and we were literally on the street. It was going dark by this time, we had no idea where we were or which way to turn. We were both very very frightened and upset. So thank you Terrace Club for being one of the worst experiences of my life. The Disabled Friendly statement needs removing."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of May 2016

Not as described by Management and tour operator

Reviewed Mon 26th of January 2015

"Booked 7 days all inclusive 14January 15, came home after three nights, as tour operator could not find an alternative. The apartments were good and well equipped,but the amenities and services were not suitable for an all inclusive stay. None of the listed facilities were available. No dining room, no bar, no swimming pool access, no kids playground access, the make shift eating area was the maintenance staff's dining room, adjacent to a public coffee bar that we had to use as a bar, it closed at 9.00pm.There was no choice for meals, breakfast consisted of coffee two rolls cheese and jam, lunch was one course served up cold, even chips meat and boiled veg. The staff lunch was far better they had an array of dishes and a nice sweet, we had a kiwi fruit and an orange for both lunch and dinner. Dinner was one course with the occasional soup, but the last straw was when we realized our evening meals consisted of the remains of the staff's lunch, except a sweet, its not very nice eating cold boiled potatoes and cold cabbage. Out of season there were no Restaurants within 2 miles or shop's. We were the only couple on all inclusive, but could not find a review, apart from glowing report's from our booking agents Sunshine holidays. If you want the ultimate holiday disaster book The Terrace Club, and you may get a sea view .5 of a mile away "

• Travel date: Sat 24th of January 2015

Fairly disappointed

Reviewed Fri 9th of August 2013

"Stayed here with 2 teenagers. Not a lot to keep them entertained. Disappointed due to the fact that the bar was closed all except one night of our holiday. Pool was busy, couldn't get a sunbed but pool bar was adequate for drinks and snacks. No air conditioning which was a downer. Apartments were spacious. Did not use kitchen as we ate out every day. Lack of towel changing. Would not stay here again. "

• Travel date: Fri 9th of August 2013

Not As Bad As Everyone Is Making Out

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I am writing this review as i too went here last year in September and a fantastic holiday. I admit the apartments were basic, but when you are paying lower end prices you cannot expect the ritz - you get what you pay for in life. The reception staff were always happy and friendly and helpful to us (maybe they treat you how you treat them!)
The local bars and restraunts were also lovely, again no fine dining but as i have said already you get what you pay for. The Lords bar near the beach was just what i wanted for a holiday pub, and the restaurant next door was nice too, especially the staff - Nero was a favourite of ours and made our holiday a great time.
The Blues bar i can also speak highly of, and we even got a christmas card from the manager Kim who was lovely, and even let me work on the bar one night!
I am upset at some of the reviews this place has got as we had a great time, a holiday is after all what you make it, and if you are expecting the ritz then put your hands in your pocket and pay for the experience, I wanted a trip to portugal to see how the algarve lives and that is what i got. Going back to the Algarve this year too, trying somewhere new, but will be popping over to here to say hi to all the friends i made.
And as for the noise being made by new developments, well that is something that goes on wherever you are. And surely if you are moaning that the place is quiet and doesnt have enough to do and go, then how can you complain when they are building more facilities. As for the person seeking compensation - get a grip!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2008

redress the balance

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of April and found that although certain comments that have been made are valid, it is not as bad as portrayed. We found the apartment spacious and spotless, checking in was done with a minimum wait and the staff were curtious and friendly. The food as we had gone on a half board basis was not of a good standard although edable and we preferred to eat at the bar near the beach(lords). If this hotel had been marketed as self catering and car essential to reach local entertainment it would have been more accurate, but we enjoyed a fabulous holiday spent on the nearby beach and ate at the beach restaraunt and at Lords. I would definetly go again but would hire a car and go self catering , but the standards at the hotel were fine.

Pat and Steve (46 and 55)"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of April 2008

never ever again

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"The best bits were the stunning beaches and the weather.
The worse bits, where to begin? The first thing we encountered were the miserable, rude and unhelpful reception staff - unbelievable!
The apartment was spacious and fairly clean, kitchen useless - no kettle, oven, toaster, microwave. Rags for towels, hard beds, pillows not fit for use....towels only changed twice in ten days and only done on second request.
Did not eat at the complex but met Germans who were equally dissatisfied and had changed from full board to s/c.
Porches is a glorified building site, very noisy building work every day from 9.30am - 6pm apart from Sunday. Could not use the pool area as a result but this appeared to be poorly maintained anyway.
Porches is not a place where you can walk about at night, there is nothing to do, no shops or bars to speak of. At the top of town is the Blues Bar (English) very good and the best restaurant by far was the Vila De Italia. Most restaurants belong to the many complexes and lack atmosphere.
By far the worst (and not the cheapest!) place I have ever stayed in and am now seeking compensation."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of September 2007

Never Again

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This Aparthotel should be stripped of its 3 star rating and given a generous 2 star. On arrival mid morning my family were greeted if thats what I can call it by the most miserable of receptionists (Sylvia) I have had the displeasure of meeting. I had to wait 5 hours to check in and when I asked if there was a courtesy room to change out of my travelling clothes was told that there was a toilet in the cafeteria next door.
I had opted for half board with my travel agent but after trying the breakfast and dinner in what I can only describe as a pokey, grotty backroom with no windows and a school dinners type of low quality buffet decided to go self catering.
The entertainment and kids club are a pathetic waste of effort and not as advertised and the poolside snackbar is in need of repair, badly stocked for the time of season and needs to employ a staff member that is there to cater for the paying guests and not spend half the day texting on a mobile phone.
The pool surrounding area is very dirty with muddy grass and fag butts, old food and thousands of flies also a lack of servicable sunbeds.
Apart from that the apartments are quite spacious but lack aircon, kettle, microwave and the towels are only changed every three days.
NEVER AGAIN."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2007

go somewhere else

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We just got back from a week in this establishment and were disappointed by several aspects of the trip. First, we arrived to find out that hotel guests were not invited for the New Year's Eve festivities. Having paid for "half board" we were surprised to be booted out for the holiday, especially having had positive experiences with this in the past. After eating in the restaurant on Saturday evening however, we weren't so sorry to find another place for the holiday. Guests who opt for room and "board" are put in a room in the back of the restaurant with uncomfortable tables and chairs, no atmosphere, poor service, and an uninviting buffet, which repeated itself the entire week. (And don't blame the cook, she was clearly given little other than large cans of corn and fruit cocktail to work with!) In the other half of the restaurant, the "paying" guests had candles and bread baskets on the table, music, friendly service, and a much more attractive buffet, complete with garnishes and some attention to making the food look appetiziing.

The apartment was clean, but very sparsely furnished and the kitchen was not functional for cooking. Why have four burners if you can't use more than one without throwing the breaker switch? There was no oven or microwave. The beds were very hard, but this may be typical. The view from the apartment was nice.

Portugal is beautiful and we loved the weather, but I would not stay at this place (now called "Key Club Holidays") again."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of January 2007

Hotels near Be Smart Terrace Algarve

Top traveller tips for Be Smart Terrace Algarve

• June48 by June48

"Hire a car as we had to get the bus to find somewhere to eat that suited everyone. "

• wilderose by wilderose

"Do not book all inclusive, self catering in season would probably be OK "

• LizLawman by LizLawman

"If you have limited mobility either dont go to the Terrace Club or get them to confirm you have a lower ground apartment. There are no lifts and the hotel is situated on a hill, so lower down the hill means more steps. "

Be Smart Terrace Algarve is also called