Good

Do not take a chance as we did and take...

Reviewed Mon 12th of May 2008

"Do not take a chance as we did and take note of all the bad reviews you can find as this hotel is bad. I would not even class it as a 2 star due to it's carpets, decor etc. The food was really bad worse than any I have experienced in 40 years of travelling. Salads, cold meats and cheese not in chillers just left on a large table. Hot food really bad both in choice and cooking. The salt and pepper were in the original containers. O.K. not the end of the world but not 3 star. Monte Gordo is a really nice little resort with some lovely real 3 star hotels. I am not a holiday moaner and will always give anything a try but this was so bad it was practically laughable. "

• Travel date: Mon 12th of May 2008

This was a last minute booking and it wa...

Reviewed Sat 1st of September 2007

"This was a last minute booking and it was allocation on arrival so had no idea where i would be staying, but having looked at hotels on the resort on line this one did not show up.

Monte Gordo - very boring lacking in entertainment for all ages kids were very bored!! this resort appears to be the Portuguese retreat.

Nagavdores Hotel absolutely nasty! if you want to catch infections and diseases this is the place to be!

Dirty dirty dirty and even this word is too subtle to describe how disgusting this place was, every inch of the place was just nasty! changed my room twice and still no good. There were cleaners who came in your room for about 2mins each day, although they changed the towels everyday I wondered who had used them before; the towels definitely had seen better days! Good job I bought my own and simply used theirs as floor mats with my flip flops very close by. My bed sheets only got changed after I took them of the bed and put them on the floor by the door (8 days later).

The reception area stunk had a funny sewage type smell, the whole place was badly run down and decor was terrible, shoddy patchwork plastering over the very big cracks everywhere. The pool well lets just say you'd be better of soaking in your bath grime than the film of nastiness in that pool.

There were two types of entertainment - ant parties could be found in rooms with stone floors and those who had carpets well wouldn’t like to think! Oh and not forgetting the lovely silver fish which lived in the bathrooms probably liked the mildew!

Food - well what can I say the stray dogs (and there are lots of them in Monte Gordo) would even turn their noses up! Green soup everyday looked / tasted the same but funny enough had a different name! Hot food served cold, salad were left on the side uncovered and guess what if you fancied salad for breakfast you guessed it.... you could have last nights leftovers and that would simply get topped up for the evening; the food was chucked at you as though your in prison saying that Im sure
you would get better food there! found something green and hard in mine eventually had no choice but to eat out even though I paid for half board the rep for Cosmos was useless and seem to spend all her time at the Vasco De Gama Hotel. Was not interested in those she had put in this dump! tried calling the Cosmos office several times on my 7th attempt got through but they could not locate the rep that should have been at the hotel.
(bet you can guess where I found her, yep at the VDG Hotel).

This hotel is no way a 3 star as stated more 0 and should not be opened to the public.

I will be seeking compensation. This holiday was the worst in all my years of traveling and to make it worst I was alone with my son.

The only positive I can say is a big thank you to the British families whom my son and I met during our stay (12th - 26th August) you kept us sane.

• Travel date: Sat 1st of September 2007

Hotel not bad, but dining area -alot to be desired.

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Could not fault the Hotel itself, rooms kept very clean, maid visited daily,hoovered carpet, changed towels daily etc. Room itself was good. I have stayed in places with a lot worse facilities. At least everything worked, and even had hairdryer which worked!
Staff at reception & bar were helpful and friendly.
The down side of the stay was the dining room. You are allotted a time to eat according to the floor number you are staying on for evening meal. This is a nightmare as you have to queue up to get down the grubby carpeted stairs, no lifts for the elderly or infirm. The tables were always full of the last occupants dishes. We had to clear the table ourselves, & put new paper cover on the table before getting our food. The food choice was the same every night. Soup, which no matter what the notice said( in portugese) tasted the same. Salad with a choice of meat usually salami or similar. Hot food which was a choice of fish, meat- these varied each night. but the rest was always the same, boiled potatoes, chips & a veg, which again varied each night. The desert left a lot to be desired, and I usually did not bother, unless I took an orange, which was always on offer.
Breakfast was a free for all. could go between 7.30am & 10. -watch out though they could change times & not tell you!. This happened to us. We were given a card on arrival which gave times as 7.30 until 10.30. Not being early risers, we usually made our way down 10-10.15 ish. The day before we left, we went down & they were about to refuse us entry until I produced the card, which they promptly took from me & changed!!! they let us in but told us in no uncertain terms that we had to be down before 10am the next day.
Entertainment is ok as long as you understand Portugese. The hotel was 90% full of Portugese tourists, 8%Germans & the rest English. I would not go there again.
Self Catering for me next time."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of July 2006

The Local Restaurants Were Excellent

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Navegadores back in Sept 1985. Yes, that was 20 years ago, but, even then, the hotel had its problems. It seems obvious after reading others' reviews that in all these years there have been no improvements.

When we were there, the lifts were very dodgy, dangerous and not working properly. There was a very large black oil or paint stain on the front of the building. There were ants in the bathroom. Binmen came to empty the bins every morning at 5 am, waking everyone up! The fire exits were either blocked or led to nowhere i.e. no doors or stairs. We only stayed on a B & B basis, so only had to endure breakfast, which was adequate. We frequented the local restaurants which served excellent locally caught fresh fish! The hotel appeared to be clean, but it was very rundown.

There were building works going on back then and am sure the resort has expanded beyond recognition now. However, saying all that, Monte Gordo itself was very pleasant, very quaint and quiet back then. The beach was lovely, as were the locals and the local restaurants were excellent (as mentioned above), one being right on the beach. Is it still there I wonder? The people were very carefree and honest! My boyfriend lost his wallet with all his money and credit cards. It duly turned up the next day waiting for us at the hotel reception. Someone had found it, made some enquiries and handed it in. This would have been a local as there were hardly any holidaymakers there!!! All in all, the hotel was poor, but Monte was fab and great fun."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of October 2005

hotel from hell

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"without doubt this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. the first impression that greets you is the overwhelming smell of fish, this continues throughout the hotel. the entire place is so basic that it is unbelievable it is a hotel. if you are thinking of going to monte gordo, which is a lovely place, stay at the Vasco de Gama hotel, a three star the same as the navegadaroes but far far superior.
The stairs leading down to the dining room are covered by a stained carpet, and this leads you into a "dining room" which would not be out of place in the poorest youth hostel. The food had to be seen to be believed, whilst we were not expecting english we did expect hot food that we could eat. We took to eating out at lunchtime and only having soup and bread in the hotel. The soup for the entire duration of our holiday - 11 days - was pea soup, and unless you were down at the start was only lukewarm. The rep did say that we had paid a cheap price and got a cheap hotel but I do not consider 1100.00 a cheap price for 11days, Cosmos offered to move us to another area at a cost of 530e but we did not think that was a bargain! to make matters worse building work was going on opp the hotel from 7.30am - 7.30pm 6 days a week - so we asked to be moved to the 8th floor so the workmen were not looking into our room - using the balcony or opening the window was out of the question due to the noise."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of September 2005

school dinners

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"This hotel takes me back to my school days, where the dinner lady puts one scoop of chips, veg or meat directly onto your plate. Expect a bemused look, if you expect an extra portion.
Both Breakfast and Dinner choices very limited.
Strange drink ordering system, as if you require a second drink you have to queue at the back of the people entering the restaurant. Absolutely no entertainment, unless you like Elton John's complete cd playing very loudly till midnight.
However the room was very clean, and maid visited daily.
Set in a small resort, close to lovely beach."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

school dining room revisited

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We have just returned from our holiday here at the hotel Dos Navegdores, to be fair if we had<nt been to Monte Gordo before it would have put us off,the cleanliness was poor,the queues for food in the dining area was a nightmare, I did complain at the time,and the problem was addressed,they did get more staff for that area,not what I expected at all it was far to noisy with an awful lot of children running around with not a thing to amuse themselves with, I would have thought a play area in one of the corners would have been lovely,and perhaps kept them amused and quieter so that people like myself could relax and have some peace and quiet,after all thats why I go on holiday,I would never return to that hotel again, but may I add I am going back to that resort in September"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of July 2005

One of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in.

Good
Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"After reading some of the previous comments, We were concerned with what we may find at this Hotel for our Christmas stay. Yes it does look plain from the outside, inside it is a very large Hotel offering lots of facilities. The bedrooms are spacious with good bathrooms, and there was always hot water available at any timne of the day, we have never stayed in such a clean hotel. The maid came everyday including Christmas Day to leave us fresh towels and to tidy the bedroom and bathroom. There were cleaners working in all parts of the hotel every day. The food was pleasant only a couple of choices for dinner but all the food was served up at the proper temperatures and the area kept clean and tidy. The breakfast was good, not your usual fry up, but healthy food and you could take food in to the restaurant if you wanted anything different. The staff were very friendly especially the manager who came every day and chatted to the guests. The only downfall we had was not to do with the Hotel but with the Cosmos rep who spent all his time at his wifes hotel down the road."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of December 2003

Great value, so don't expect the Ritz!

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Yes, this Hotel may lack the aesthetics of a more expensive hotel. In fact, it seems to suffer from a severe lack of imagination. But what you have to realise is that this Hotel is unbelievably good value especially in the off season. It is extremely close to all facilities and is very close to the wonderful beach. The rooms are basic in looks, but still has everything that you need; television, bathroom, beds.
Don't expect a fry for breakfast. This is not an exclusively British hotel. It caters more to the continental countries, so healthy is usually the order of the day. The bottom line is, its a cheaper alternative and a good base for operations!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of November 2003

spotlessly clean

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Don't let outward appearances put you off. I agree with a previous review that said the hotel looks like a multi story car park - it does, and the dining room has the layout of an underground car park. The entrance is dull and the floor in the reception is very concrete looking. However, if you look beyond this - our room on the sixth floor was pleasant, extremely clean, and the food was good. Unfortunately there was no full english breakfast. The hotel was near to all the facilities and the manager was the most pleasant one I have come across anywhere in Europe."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of October 2003

The Navegadores got slightly better

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I thought Cosmos had dropped us off at a multi storey car park. Even more so when we checked in. The floor is covered with resin bonded gravel!!.Not a carpet in sight. The bedroom, however was fine.
Disappointed with soul-less staff including the dining room . The food was limited in choice and was only fair quality. The staff seemed asleep most of the time and never knew when food had run out. The only exception being an attractive blonde girl who did know how to work, smiling. The public area again, soul-less and the swimming pool more like a municipal baths. Luckily the weather was superb and I spent very little time inside."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of October 2003

Worst i've ever been

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Filthy, roof must be like a colander, when it rains water just pours in. Photos of blankets all along corridors. evening seating is garden plastic furniture alongside swimming pool. Tables were spaced between rain pouring in. Food would not be given to pigs under current EU regulations. Chef left everything to br desired. Would not go again even if paid.."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of August 2003