Overrated

Reviewed Tue 9th of July 2013

"After reading the reviews we decided to go ahead and book this very overrated hotel. The rooms were immaculately clean but so old fashioned and out of date. The beds (2 single) pushed together were rock hard and the pillows flat and hard. The tv had 2 English channels only the rest being either German or Portuguese. Flimsy curtains that let in all the light and the other alternative was to close the shutters but then you felt like you were in a tin can.
The sink in the bathroom was chipped and the plug would not hold the water long enough to even wash your hands. The shower was ok but I don't think they new what hot water was as it was only ever aired.
We were on the ground floor and the noise from the above rooms was disturbing especially when the cleaners were scraping the beds about.
The breakfast was continental with dry breads wafer thin cheese, wafer thin ham, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs that we found out the day we left were made at 7.30 in the morning for breakfast at 8.30, no wonder they were always cold. Another thing that was always cold was the tea/coffee not sure if they knew what boiling meant.
The sister of the owner was quite helpful and made snacks during the day however you had to ask for them at least an hour earlier than you wanted them as she was so slow.
We ate in on our first night and what an eye opener it was. The owner who seamed to spend most of the week inebriated was very loud and for want of a better word silly and childish. He was very rude to a number of other guests who he obviously knew but who looked very uncomfortable by his actions. Needless to say we ate out the rest of our stay. I suspect most of the good reviews on this site are submitted by friends of this hotel as it is not a bit how they discribe. "

• Travel date: Thu 4th of July 2013

Felt like home

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Wonderful stay here. The staff is warm and friendly and the food was the best we had in the Algarve. You order by noon, they shop for the freshest ingredients, and then cook it for you! It was fantastic! Quick walk to beautiful beaches and the pool there is clean and a great spot to relax."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of September 2007

Very friendly small hotel

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Had a wonderful 2 week stay at this small hotel.

The staff are wonderful, making you feel so at home.

Its a cosmopolitan place, with guests staying from all over Europe and beyond whilst we were there, but Carlos, Lena and Armando do their best to make it feel like a second home to everyone.

The hotel is located in a quite suburban area a couple of miles from Lagos city centre and similar distance from the nearest beaches. Most guests had cars, but some did walk to the beach/city or you could always just stay by the outdool pool/small garden.

Guests book on a B&B basis, but can order evening meals upto 12 noon on the day in question. We ate at the hotel 4 times and each time really enjoyed our meals. There are plenty of cafes and restaraunts to choose from in Lagos and we didnt have a single bad experience in any we tried.

As we experienced a heatwave whilst we were there, we were also grateful for the air conditioning throughout the hotel.

Overall, highly recommended for those who like a relaxing holiday in a friendly environment and don't mind being a short distance away from the city centre."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of August 2007

Great place in the Algarve

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We stayed a few nights at Solar de Mos and wish we had time to stay longer. The owners make you feel right at home. We had a reasonable 61.50 E for a double with a balcony, AC, lovely breakfast included. The town of Lagos is very nice, lots of choices for restaurants, pleasant to stroll in the evening."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of May 2007

Absolutely great!

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Based on other reviews, my wife & I chose the Solar de Mos for a three night short break in February and were not in any way disappointed. Located in a quiet area, the en-suite rooms are comfortable, the buffet breakfast more than enough to last us through the day, and Carlos and Lina are friendly and helpful owners. All this for a bargain off-season rate of around €40 / night.

We normally eat out in the evening but we would recommend having at least one dinner while at the Solar de Mos. You need to order it at breakfast time so that Lina can buy fresh ingredients at the local market. We had lamb casserole one night and fish on another and both were absolutely delicious. The phrase "good home cooking" is much overused but in Carlos & Lina's case, it's fully justified.

If there is a downside, it's possibly the location. It's about a twenty five minute walk to the Lagos old town and about twenty minutes to the Praia de Mos beach, so if you're not a walker, you'll need a car as the local bus doesn't pass by.

All in all, we're looking forward to going back in the future. Highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of February 2007

what a gr8t place

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"We have just returned from a week at The Solar De Mos booked based on recommendations from this site, and it was just the most relaxing, friendly and spotlessly clean hotel I think I have ever visited. I would definately go there again, most of the time we had the pool to ourselves and nothing was too much trouble for Lena.
The only criticism is that the beds were hard!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of October 2006

Our escape from the daily grind!

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"When my girlfriend and I went on our first holiday in the spring of 2003, we decided never to go back to the same place twice. However, in the past two years, we've visited the Solar de Mos four times!

There is something incredibly special about this place. The personal touches have already been well documented in other reports, but I would like to stress that this is a place where you are guaranteed to relax, recharge the batteries and enjoy a memorable holiday.

At the Solar de Mos, I have ate well, slept well and always felt welcome. Nothing is too much trouble for Carlos and Lina - they will make you feel 'at home' from the moment they greet you.

One evening in 2004, my girlfriend and I stumbled upon the Solar de Mos by accident - it had already received a number of rave reviews on another travel website - and it seemed too good to be true. Believe me, it feels too good to be true.

I do not know of anyone who has not enjoyed their time at the Solar de Mos. For prospective first timers, my advice would be to book at least a week in this hotel, get to know Lagos (a good resort) - and enjoy this special place in the sun."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of July 2006

Beautiful, friendly and quiet family run hotel

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"My fiancee and I stayed in the Solar De Mos for a week in the middle of April 2006, and were both delighted by everything the hotel had to offer. After arriving late at night, we were made welcome by Carlos, who immediately showed us our room and wished us a good night. The room itself was immaculate, as was the entire hotel, and although it wasn't large, it had everything that was required. The breakfast was ample and varied, as were the snacks on offer throughout the day. In terms of food, the hotel came in to its own in the evening, serving some of the best food that both my partner and I have ever tasted. I cannot recommend highly enough the Cataplana, the Shrimps and the Rabbit, all of which were simply delicious.

Although the hotel is a litle walk from the town and the beach, both 20min and 10mins respectively, it is ideally located for a quiet holiday with a good general access. It is likely that by staying in Lagos you will have hired a car anyway, so any distances will not be a problem.

Overall this hotel excels in terms of real service - not the overbearing and servile pandering on offer at most mainstream hotels - but genuine service. An unhurried, extremely polite and friendly atmosphere surrounds you at all time, and you are made to feel welcome from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. This is a wonderfully simple, friendly and thoroughly relaxing hotel, and we cannot recommend it highly enough. We have given this hotel 5 stars not because it is a 5 star hotel, but because it acheives everything you expect in a quiet, relaxing and family run hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of May 2006

Like visiting friends

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I made the booking for 6 of us to stay at the Solar de Mos and hoped it would be ok as I've never stayed there before. I needn't have worried. From arrival to departure Carlos and Lina made us feel more like friends visiting than paying guests. Nothing was too much trouble for them. So much more personal than the huge, multi-roomed hotels. I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a quieter, more relaxed holiday. All of our party have said they would be returning in the future."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2006

Heaven on Earth

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"We have stayed at this hotel now for three years and every year gets better. From walking through the door you are treated as their special guests and also as one of their family. Everything they do as that personal touch. Carlos, the owner also personally cooks for you in the evening and what a cook, his dishes are enormous and mouthwatering. During the day Lena (Carlos's sister) is their to make you whatever you want, nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are imaculately clean as is, the rest of the hotel. If you are looking to be spoilt rotten then I certainly recommend Sol de Mos."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of November 2004

Loved Solar de mos Hotel in Lagos

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"Went to the Solar de mos Hotel in Lagos, Algarve, Portugal for the first time in 1999. After only 15 minutes, we knew we would be back next year. The Hotel was immaculate with all the special touches that make the difference. There are only 15 rooms in the family run hotel which makes it a much more intimate atmosphere and quite often you will have the pool to yourself which is great! The Staff are very friendly and helpful and we have now become great friends with them all and have now gone back every year since and are due to go again in a couple of weeks time. The location is perfect as it is only 10 minutes from any of the beaches and the main centre in Lagos where there are plenty of restaurants etc to choose from."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of May 2003