Fantastic

Reviewed Wed 27th of July 2011

"The hotel and staff were great. Everything in the room you need. There is a fridge and tea and coffee making facility. Our room looked out over the bus station at the back of the hotel. A bit noisy at first, but got use to it. It is only a 10 minute walk to the town, where you can get fine wine and food. It is a 5 minute walk to the other side of the marina and a 10 minute walk to the super market. The best holiday we have had and would certainly go back. No children under 16, so there was no noise from children. The pool is on the roof which makes it very private. Give it a try and see what you think."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of July 2011

Great Holiday

Reviewed Mon 2nd of November 2009

"We stayed at the Marina Rio in October 2009. This hotel fully deserves its 4* status.
The rooms are very clean (cleaned daily) - towels were changed daily and bed linnen 3 times per week or thereabouts. Rooms have a small fridge, air-conditioning, a balcony, telephone, hair-dryer, safe(15 Euros per week) and a flat screen TV with numerous channels including BBC1, BBC2 and ITV. Most people don't watch TV on holiday but it can be very useful if the weather turns wet. There is a small bar area, free Internet, a nice lounge and a breakfast dining area. Breakfasts can be a bit crowded even though there are only 36 rooms. I suggest if it is busy, then go and have a seat in the lounge for 10 minutes. There is parking below the hotel. On the roof, there is a small heated swimming pool (at the rear) and a lovely patio area at the front. Rooms on the front have a marina view (and can be a little noisy) whilst those on the rear overlook the bus park but get sun most of the day. The staff are very friendly and obliging unlike some other local hotels. We shall be returning.

EATING OUT.

Whilst in Lagos you must try the A Floresta Restaurant – a Portuguese restaurant with English and Portuguese dishes. A warm welcome awaits you by “Alexander the Little” who speaks excellent English. Diners re-visit night after night. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is very friendly and the prices are considerably less than the typical touristy restaurants in the main part of the town.
The restaurant is on Rua Antonio Crisogono dos Santos which is near to Lagos marina and very close to the Tivoli Hotel and the Marina Rio Hotel. Imagine you have walked down the entrance road from the Tivoli Hotel, turn right and the A Floresta Restaurant is 30 metres away on the right hand side.
Try the sirloin steak with chips or potatoes and salad (8.50 Euros) and a bottle of house red at 5.75 Euros – you will not be disappointed

• Travel date: Sat 31st of October 2009

This hotel thoroughly deserves the 4* ra...

Reviewed Mon 11th of February 2008

"This hotel thoroughly deserves the 4* rating. The comfortable, spotless rooms are cleaned daily with daily towel changes. We booked a room overlooking the marina which in January was truly lovely - but I would question this decision in a busy season as it is overlooking the main road. These rooms are in shade, which may be a bonus for very hot weather, although the rooms have a heating/air conditioning system.
For us the hotel would have got a full 10/10 but for the pool - unfortunately this is a very small plunge pool.

The breakfast room was a delight being bright and cheery and the choice of food was excellent.

All the staff were friendly and helpful, beyond their duty, which made this holiday a real treat.

We would recommend two restaurants: 1) Restaurante O Algarvio (opposite the entrance to Hotel Tivili) every meal was a treat, fish being their speciality and 2) the super Restaurante Fernando Steakhouse which is only 200 yards from the Hotel Marina Rio and where we had steaks to die for! If you go there you must try their fig flambe sweet - heaven.

We were very lucky to have a super rep in Dan Doherty - who was extremely helpful and professional.

We will definitely be going back next year as we don't think anywhere in Portugal could beat Lagos. This is a delightful resort steeped in history and has a beautiful marina and busy fishing port hence the restaurants having fresh fish. The bus station is at the rear of the hotel and the railway station is about a ten minute walk away.

• Travel date: Mon 11th of February 2008

As good as it gets.

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My wife and I had visited Lagos twice previously and havind read all the reviews concerning this hotel we booked in on the 17th. May. We were not all disappointed and the hotel and its staff lived up to the many excellent reviews. On the Saturday morning of our stay my wife,who has a partial denture,broke a tooth on her plate while having a sandwich at a cafe. We were directed by the cafe staff to a nearby dentist who unfortunately was closed. We returned to the hotel for advice,being a Saturday we were concerned we might not get a dentist,a the gentleman on reception could not have been more helpful, He got on the phone and was soon able to provide us with name and address of a dentist. He refused to take money for the calls and informed us that we should get there as soon as possible as the place was due to close at 1pm. We got there and explained the predicament and a dental technician was summoned from his home. One hour later the plate had been expertly repaired for the small sum of 40 Euros. I doubt if we could have got this sort of treatment back home. I cannot praise all those involved for having rescued my wife's holiday. I would recommend the Marino Rio hotel to anyone looking for a good hotel and I thank all the staff there for making our stay such a pleasant. Incidentally for anyone with walking difficulties the hotel is situated on level main road opposite the promenade unlike other hotels in hilly parts of the town."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of May 2007

Lovely hotel, lovely place

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I only stayed the one night, but everything was great. Reception staff were extremely helpful.
The only small downside is there can be a queue for breakfast........."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of May 2007

Marina Rio - worth all four stars.

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Situated on the waterfront road, directly opposite the beautiful marina, the Marina Rio is ideally placed for easy access to everything this great town has to offer. Being adjacent to the bus station and only a five minute walk from the railway station, travel to other parts of the Algarve couldn't be easier, and the town centre is a pleasant 10 minute stroll away over flat ground.
The hotel has 33 bedrooms on three floors, all of which are served by an elevator; the front rooms have spectacular views over the marina and neighbouring resorts whilst rooms to the rear of the hotel overlook the bus station but have the benefit of almost day - long sunshine on their balconies.
Access to the hotel for those with mobility problems is made easy by two wheelchair ramps either side of the main stairway and, inside the hotel, corridors are wide and spacious; the beautiful rooftop terrace and the small pool are, however,only accessible via a staircase.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and towels and bedlinen are frequently changed; bathrooms are equipped with hairdryers and shaver points and an iron is available from reception if you wish to cut down on the weight of your luggage. There is a well-stocked small bar at the hotel and prices compare well with those charged in town, although draught beer is not available in the off season.
Breakfast is normally a cold buffet with cereals, fruit juices,cold meats, cheese,yoghurt, bread and pastries and, occasionally, hot bacon, sausages and scrambled egg are provided.
Internet access is available at reasonable rates and the reception area is wi-fi enabled.
All staff, from reception to cleaners, are friendly and helpful.
To summarize,the Marina Rio is a small, clean, friendly and well-positioned hotel which gives good value for money and fully deserves its 4* rating."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of December 2006

great stay at the marina rio

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"just home from a week in lagos, staying at the Marina Rio.
a gem , with staff so friendly and helpfull. Nothing is any trouble. Great breakfasts and the room cleaned daily. Crisp white linen, just great.
We will be back.

Ruth and Alex Trotter."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of November 2006

Lovely Art Deco hotel

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed here for six nights in June 2006 and were very happy with our choice. We had a Marina view room which I would highly recommend. The hotel is spotless and has lovely Art Deco communal areas including original mirrors on the landings. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and made our stay even more pleasurable. If you want a pool, I wouldn't recommend this hotel, but we don't use the pool, so not important for us. Breakfast was fine for me but my husband would have liked a hot choice every day. Overall, an excellent choice if you don't need a pool."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of July 2006

Not a Great Stay for us

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"The rooms are Ok, but right next to a bus station. The noise is constant. I gave the reception clerk my mother's passport and left her folder with $3000 and her documents on the reception counter. I went to leave her in her room and immediately noticed I had left her folder. Obviously it was no longer there. I did not expect to recuperate the money, but I ask the Manager to please inform the staff in case her documents were disposed of somewhere in the premises. She did nothing, (I asked some employees the next day if they were aware of the situation) was very unconcerned and unhelpful as was the reception desk employee, he was not the one there when I check in, but I don’t know why he was so defensive! If you don’t have anything to worry about, why be so defensive? I went to the police hoping someone would find the documents and return them. No such luck!"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of July 2006

Enjoyed our stay, loved Lagos

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Just returned from a week long stay at the Marina Rio with my girlfriend. This was the first time in the Algarve and it certainly won't be the last!

The Hotel itself was probably worth its four star rating. Plus points were the decor in the reception/hallways, the excellent quality of air conditioning, friendly staff, excellent location and a very nice continental breakfast. The only negatives we had were that the pool was way too small and I thought the rooms were a little cramped. Prior to going, I paid extra for a Marina view and high floor - this didn't cost much and was well worth it.

We hired a car from a company called AirAuto -was very good value for money(7days,A/C,5dr Fiat Punto for £98).

Lagos itself is a fantastic place - there is an abundance of quality restaurants and bars and you will not find hoards of yobs in them! I thoroughly recommend Dom Sebastio, Restaurante O Pinoquio and the Three monkeys Bar.

We went to beaches at Alvor, Praia de Rocha, Praia de Luz and the Meia Praia. The Meia Praia was closest to the hotel and both of us thought it were best.

I am planning to return to Lagos in October."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of July 2006

Lagos

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Just returned from 6 nights at Marina Rio.
Hotel well located just a short walk to the old town.
Would recommend a Marina View room.
Staff very friendly-hotel clean and comfortable.
Lagos itself has a wonderful old town and still retains it's portugese character.
Plently of good restaurants - would recommend:
Dom Sebastiao - in old town - good for fish dishes and grills
Italia - excellent italian food and steaks
Cafe do Ze - tiny fish restaurant on the corner by the fish market"

• Travel date: Fri 19th of May 2006

Excellent staff

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"Have just returned from a holiday in Lagos and stayed at the Marina Rio in a Marina view room. The room was spotless and the staff were very helpfull, we asked for tea and coffee making facilities which were supplied at no extra charge.The breakfast was good with a nice variety,and the recommended Restaurant Don Sebastiao to eat out in the evening was excellent.We will certainly be returning to Lagos."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of February 2006

Hotels near Hotel Marina Rio

Top traveller tips for Hotel Marina Rio

• Howard Nickson by Howard Nickson

"A Floresta Restaurant and the Koh-I-Nor (for lunchtime specials). "

• Lindi and Tod by Lindi and Tod

"Walk to the beaches. It does not take long and you see a lot more than you would on the bus. "

Hotel Marina Rio is also called