Good

Great Pousada! Don't miss it.

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We're a portuguese family with one small children (6y) and loved to stay at this Pousada last week. Perfect location for a perfect rest! Excellent breakfast and very pleasent staff. Kids club, although in a small room, was nice and friendly with very attentive and patient monitors. For lunch we usually ate by the pool (juices, salads, sandwiches, hamburguers...) and for dinner went to Restaurant "O Lagar" direction Olhão for great meals. Tried also a more mundane Restaurant, Casa de Pasto O Vitor in the village center and liked it a lot. Fish was great and overall with fantastic quality for money. Don't miss Estoi Pousada if you want to rest and relax."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of September 2010

Modern palace in a gorgeous setting

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We loved pousada de Estoi, it is a peaceful retreat in a gorgeous setting, with excellent customer service, wonderfully appointed rooms/bathrooms and great pool area/spa. The location is great if you want to escape the bustle of the Faro resorts, yet be within driving distance to great beaches and shops. The staff is dedicated to pleasing - I had to leave to an early meeting prior to the opening of the breakfast buffet, the receptionist knew of my departure and waited for me at 6AM with warm coffee and fresh pastry! The only downside of this hotel is the restaurant: the menu was poor, the service amateurish (the server did not know how to open the bottle!) and the food so-so (and overpriced). It was dissapointing to see the restaurant does not live up to an otherwise modern palace! I would say this hotel comes very close to Quinta das Lagrimas in Coimbra, but it falls short because of the restaurant!"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of August 2010

Some issues could destroy a hotel!

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"I’m a world traveller and I’m a regular costumer of Pousadas de Portugal for more than 10 years. I consider that Pousada de Estói is one of the most beautiful Pousada, with great architecture, great grounds and great rooms. These were the arguments for me to choose this hotel to celebrate my birthday.
In spite of this, my stay was destroyed by a “small problem”. On my birthday, I ordered some ice to my room and the receptionist informed me that I would be taxed with 10 euros! It had never happened to me at Pousadas de Portugal or any other hotel brand worldwide. May be, it was my “birthday gift”… The Pousada informed me that, since April 2010, “all the room-service will be taxed at 10,00 euros per request” (see photo).
If Pousadas de Portugal wants to keep their high standard of quality and their clients, please take good care of them and avoid similar situations."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of April 2010

Beautiful hotel with wonderful staff

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"The staff at the hotel are lovely, as usual with Pestana managed hotels. They are helpful, attentive and informative. The bedrooms (in the totally new modern west wing) are more than comfortable. Very spacious and well appointed. The spa pool is small with jacuzzi jets and as hot as a bath. The gardens are new but are going to be wonderful. The village is quaint and quiet. A lovely introduction to the Algarve. This restored palacio has a historic design tag. It has been designed by the famous architect Goncalo Byrne, but the beautiful baroque public rooms jar with the minimalist airport style (dark brown leather) furnishings. The restaurant in particular is very bare with white walls and two photographs at one end. The food and service are good. The Portuguese government has put good money into the project, but they should consider more appropriate furniture in the public rooms and decorating the walls with some paintings. After Palacio do Freixo, Porto and its exquisite blend of old and modern design, this transformation came as a shock."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of April 2010

Excellent - but a couple of minor disappointments

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Renovations to the gardens and grounds at the Pousada are still ongoing, so I was a little disappointed that some areas were off-limits when my husband and I spent a week there in March.
The building itself however, has been beautifully restored and the salons which comprise the lounge areas are wonderfully ornate. The combination of old and new may not be to everyone's taste - the furniture in the salons is modern, in stark contrast to the roccoco-style decor.
The bedrooms, pool, spa and reception are all in an ultra modern wing attached to the palace. The bedrooms are extremely comfortable. We were upgraded to a superior room which had an enormous bed, probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Lovely modern bathroom and flat screen TV.
All the staff were highly professional and very courteous.
Breakfasts which could be taken indoors or out were outstanding. Fresh juices which could be mixed with sparkling wine if desired, a variety of hams, cheeses and homemade jams, fresh fruit and delectable portuguese custard tarts. We didn't eat in the restaurant, finding it quite pricey and the dining room with its modern furniture lacking in atmosphere.
The bar is tiny and nondescript, so drinks are taken in the salons, which though beautiful are a little 'stuffy'.
There is an indoor pool and gym and a lovely looking outdoor pool and terrace. I say 'lovely looking', as during our stay we were not allowed into this area, despite some lovely, sunny days. I found this quite frustrating, as I had been looking forward to relaxing around the pool with a good book. I was informed that they were in the process of 'preparing the area', but having seen the up-and-running pool area at the neighbouring Pousada in Tavira, I'm surprised this area couldn't have been accessible sooner.
A car is vital for a stay in Estoi, particularly if you want to eat out in Faro. The pousada has a very convenient, underground car park. The journey into Faro takes 20-30 minutes and there is a large, free car park just outside the old town. If you don't want to drive into Faro or eat in the Pousada, the restaurant V-Terra at the entrance to Estoi by the roman ruins of Milreu is excellent.
All in all I would thoroughly recommend the Palacio de Estoi - particularly when the pool area is open and even more so when the restorations to the grounds are completed."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of April 2010

If we could have stayed longer we stayed longer

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"I've stayed in this pousada for one night with my wife and children. In the welcome, the couldn't be better!A very helpful and kind women took us to the room . The recepcion is in the 3rd floor and the rooms are in 0,1 and 2 floors . The Spa and the indoor pool are in the 2nd floor, next to the outdoor pool. The garage is in the 1st floor.
We, when wake up, went to the indoor swimming pool. We were alone! Then the breakfast... ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BREAKFAST EVER!! A great variety and a perfect service. The food quality and the envoirment were great. The gardens and the palace are beautiful. Perfect to a romantic dinner or to walk slowly. Note: Book on tuesdays, its cheaper."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of January 2010

Romantic and relaxing

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"As other Pousadas in Portugal, this Pousada is expensive but it is possible to find some very good offers (90 euros per night instead of 230!). We booked for 2 nights but it was so pleasant that we stayed 4 nights.
There is the historical palace that has been restored very recently and the modern area where rooms and swimming pools (indoors and outdoors, sauna…) are located.
The buffet breakfast and the restaurant offer high quality dishes and employees are professionals and helpful.
It should be nice to offer more services to guests because the location of the Pousada is quite isolated; there is nothing to do or to see in the area.
For example a free internet point (at least free connection) seems to be a minimum for a so expensive place."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of October 2009

Peaceful and relaxing

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this delightful pousada.
Perhaps disappointed that the renovation of this palace is incomplete and work is currently in progress on the gardens .
Enjoyed an evening dinner; service was excellent and the food was good.It was somewhat pricey.
Was often difficult finding staff for drinks by the pool, or coffee in the main rooms for example,but once found they were pleasant and courteous.
Would have loved to have had breakfast al fresco on the final day but this was apparently not possible as it had been on the previous day.Presumably it was too difficult for the staff.
Was surprised that only one bath towel was suppled for our double bedroom.
Would recommend Casa do Pasto Victor at 41 Rua Vasco da Gama a few minutes walk from the pousada for superb basic Portugese food at very reasonable prices and friendly staff.
In all we enjoyed the pousada and look foreward to another visit"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of September 2009

lovely setting but uneven service

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"This beautiful palace opened as a pousada in April and I stayed here with my daughter in September. There is still much rennovation going on in the gardens but it is a spectacular location and the modern hotel wing which has been joined on to the old palace has great facilties. Rooms are quiet and spacious -and bathrooms are splendid. The pool area is delightful with a magical terrace overlooking the surrounding countryside. It probably works best here if one has a car but it is possible to order cabs into Faro.
Not sure if this is a feature of other posadas but the service is rather haphazzard and very slow. Our first course took over 45 mins at dinner to arrive and the dinning room was barely a third full. Service at the bar also very slow and the room cleaning could be better. Reception desk however was excellent.
The only irritation was internet access. According to advertising promotion there is free wifi but when I arrived they said it would cost a hefty 10 euros an hour!!
The other annoyance was the number of noisy small children - rather out of keeping with the ambiance of the hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of September 2009

Just Great...

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"The hotel is new. It just opened a few months ago. We stayed there for 4 nights. Its very peaceful and quiet. The room was great, lost of space and a balcony with a beautiful view. As I found out on the check out we were given a superior room for the price of a standart room because they were totaly booked at the time of the arrival. Everyone who worked there was extremely friendly and nice. They have fresh fruit in the room when you arrive that they replace everyday. The pool area is very good and also the breakfast. Having just 63 rooms it becames a very familiar place in a few days what makes a wonderful place to stay with small childreen.
Spectacular..."