About Hotel Eva

• rooftop bar
  • rooftop terrace
  • rooftop pool

Good
2009 reviews

Return Trip

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Stayed at the Eva at the same time last year and decided the view was worth another look. If you stay here, don't even consider a room without a view over the Marina. Faro is a charming old capital city, but most of the newer part is not picturesque.The marina and lagoon beyond will keep you on the balcony for hours though. I have to agree slightly with previous reviews that say the rooms, although "refreshed" in decoration are looking in need of a more comprehensive refurb. Furniture and wardrobes are a bit dated. Also after a year's gap, there were still no keys available for the safety deposit box.They say guests take them away! We ate in the restaurant once and enjoyed the food, but with only two other diners it was a bit quiet up there. The roof terrace around the pool is shabby and dismal.Obviously in Winter the pool is unheated and unused, but the area could be made a lot more attractive for guests who would like to sunbathe in the lovely Algarve Winter temperatures.The terraces off the restaurant are really attractive by comparison.Some staff aren't the most smiley I've seen, but it is primarily a business hotel and this may make a difference.The gentleman in the lounge bar is an absolute delight in old fashioned courtesy and service. We would stay at the Eva again because of the beautiful view and the very central location"

• Travel date: 22nd February 2009

Avoid Room 115, Hotel Eva, Faro, Portugal

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"The Hotel Eva is very nice, but avoid Room 115. It's a "Superior Double" room overlooking the marina, but it has problems. Soon after arrival we noticed two things: the room was sweltering even with the thermostat set to "Cool" and 5C, and it smelled of sewer gas. The management was willing to move us but there were no other rooms of that size; all were much smaller. We solved the heat situation by keeping the windows open, but that led to the third problem: noise. The room is immediately above the back entrance to the hotel and the trash dumpster. We were awakened throughout the night by drunken revelers, trashcan emptying, etc. The sewer gas smell came and went and turned out to be prevalent throughout Faro. Breakfast, which was included, was quite nice and the room itself was lovely and a nice size, as was the view of the marina. So other aspects of our stay were very positive. One last complaint though: for as nice a hotel as it is, we found it odd that they charge for internet service. A smaller, much less nice hotel in Lisbon provided service for free."

• Travel date: 6th December 2008

loved my break to hotel eva in faro

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"I have just returned from 3 night break at this hotel. Very enjoyable stay. Contarary to some other reviews hotel was lovely,room was really clean...definately worth paying a bit extra for marina view (sunsets were lovely). staff were some of the friendliest I have ever dealt with.(Staff enjoyed trying to teach us Portuguese).Breakfast choice was extensive and very good. Our best dinner of the break was the one night we ate in the hotel. I would definately recommend this hotel for a chill out break. You can also travel to other parts of Portugal very easily from the train station which is about 200 yards from hotel.(approx 2 euros to travel thru' to Albuferia.) One note for people infirm on the feet the whole town is cobbled might be hard for some people to stroll about."

• Travel date: 12th November 2008

Loved the convenience

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Eva. True our balcony looked onto the street and not over the marina but for what we paid and the amount of time (read: not a lot) we spent in the room, it was just fine. Room/bathroom was clean which is essential for comfort. Planes were constantly taking off and landing at the nearby airport but once you turned the air conditioning on - all noise outside was cancelled out and I had a room overlooking the street where the entrance/exit to the bus station was located! The hotel should be very clear that the pool closes at the end of October and re-opens next year. As the weather is still excellent, it would have been disappointing to turn up and have no access. As it was, we were lucky to be there on the last weekend it was open. The pool wasn't particularly clean but there were families in there, loungers looked old but serviceable but the views were lovely. Bar area in the lobby was rather woeful - it looked like something they decided had to be there rather than make it a destination. Breakfast was substantial - there was plenty of hot and cold food available - your standard fare, but be quick to get the sweet pastries which were lovely. I have to agree with another reviewer, the smiles/friendliness from most staff was non-existent. (Other than the maid as per other reviewer) The only exception is a petite lady with short blonde hair and glasses, speaking perfect English. She was always polite, smiling and helpful - an absolute delight - now if only her charm can infect the rest of the staff! Its very convenient as well for the bus station (being above it) and the train station is about 5 min walk away. The airport is only a 10Euro taxi ride away. I'd absolutely recommend staying there again so long as you book early and get a good rate."

• Travel date: 29th October 2008

This is NOT a 4 Star Hotel in my opinion

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"Good Points - view of marina (if you book a marina view room) Bad Points - the hotel feels a little worn and in need of TLC Notes - The entrance lobby gives a feeling of spaciousness with a contemporary feel, and certainly gives a nice first impression as you pull up outside. There is lots of marble, white paint and chrome shimmer. This DOES NOT translate to the bedrooms, which are small, dark, and in need of refurbishment. I understand that there has been some sort of refurbishment in the recent past, but I think it has focused on the entrance lobby and bar, with just a lick of paint in the bedrooms. The latter make you feel like a businessman on a conference (great if you are !) with cheap wooden furniture and grey walls. The balcony was tiny, with a broken and dirty white plastic chair sat in the corner, with paint peeling from every surface. The check in staff were the most miserable I have come across, but the chamber maids were simply lovely. The breakfast was nasty - watered down pineapple juice (I asked for orange), a slice of "plastic" cheese and "plastic" ham, some dried small bread pieces and filthy coffee. The pool area (roof top) looked like it was closed for the winter (and yet it was 25 degrees) with dirty loungers stacked in one corner. Overall, I was very disappointed, as this hotel felt like a 2 star. (by the way, the hotel sits on top of the bus station - with all that entails with noise and smoke etc - take note - If you don't book a marina view room, you get a view of the busy, noisy, dirty street with the buses coming and going)"

• Travel date: 28th October 2008

Good choice for location & quality

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Only stayed one night but found the hotel merited 4* rating. Location is excellent for bus, train & airport. Hotel overlooks picteresque marina so advise you book sea view, these rooms look out over the marina and have balconies. We stayed in superior executive rooms, these are larger with "luxurious" furnishings but are let down by view as they overlook the street & appear to be the only rooms without balconies. Only meal we had was the breakfast which was OK but could have done with some fresh fruit. Comments in previous review regarding noise do not apply to the room we booked, the hotel is near the airport but is cleverly designed so that all rooms face away from airport direction. Our room was well insulated so we were not disturbed."

• Travel date: 6th October 2008

Lovely view...shame about the noise

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"The hotel and views overlooking the marina were lovely and the room was spotless.....however the staff were less than friendly( with the exception of our chamber maid who always greeted us with a smile) and the noise was awful. The trains and planes didnt bother us but we had noisy guests in the room above us who played music loudly all day. Despite phoning reception and complaining, nothing was done. Also a BMX event was held in the park opposite and they played loud music until midnight making it impossible to leave our balcony door open. It is obvious that they are trying to improve the buildings and streets in Faro but there is an horrendous amount of graffiti which spoils the look of the place. They also had piped English music playing in every street which became annoying after a while. One restaurant that I would recommend is one called Sol a Jardim . It is a strange looking place but the staff were very welcoming. The service was excellent and the food was wonderful as well as being sensibly priced."

• Travel date: 29th September 2008

Superb hotel

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"We stayed here for one night after arriving in Faro airport and as the start of a tour through Southern Portugal. Lack of (free) parking area was a bit of a disappointment, a pity they didn't mention there is a large, free parking area on the other side of town which is in 10 minutes walking distance. We found out just walking around in the centre. The hotel is conveniently located near the old port and city centre. Although you see planes landing and all the time, they don't cause any noise. The hotel staff was very friendly, the room was very lovely: well looked after and modern (not brand new, but no way old fashioned or in a bad state - 90's style). As it was our honeymoon, we got a suite at the normal rate. All luxury was present. The restaurant served a quite fancy, good meal (which was included in our half board)."

• Travel date: 17th September 2008

great hotel in a beautiful city

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"The Eva is very well located in Faro, the room I had overlooked the marina and it was beautiful. Also they have a nice swimmimg pool and fitness center. Good breakfast and nice people at the reception. Would recommend it to everyone."

• Travel date: 15th September 2008

Wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I wouldnt stay here again if they actually paid me to stay there. I have never come across the rudest staff in my life - most unfriendly eg. asked the bar for a lend of a wine opener so that my partner and i could enjoy a bottle on our balcony and I was told no so we had to go out and purchase one. Twice we had to ask for fresh towels as they were not replaced. Upon arrival we asked for a iron to be delivered to the room - NO IRON or IRONING BOARD IN A 4 STAR HOTEL - crazy. No tea/coffee making facilities either. Dont use their beauty centre either - had to stand waiting for 10 minutes for someone who could actually speak some english to understand what treatment i wanted to get done. You have to pay €2.50 to use the internet in reception for 1/2 an hour and dont get me started when i asked if i could get an email printed that had my car hire details. Carpet in bedroom - ROOM 305 - full of stains ugghh. The view from our room was the only nice thing about this hotel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"

• Travel date: 13th September 2008